Official Onkyo TX-SR707 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 3607 Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sorry missed it under Audio Adjust. Haven't read the Manual as yet and there's so many things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan81 View Post

Just a FYI, 807 has Burr Brown as well, just check the Onkyo website, it tells you right there. Even though, I would never go for the 807 for that much more money while the only real difference is 1dB and a network connection....
I just love my 707!!!
Watched transformers 2 on it, WOW, very nice sound on that one!

According the Onkyo website the 807 has 192k/24 bit DAC's, but nowhere does it say anything about it being burr-brown. Link

Here's the 707 so you can see them side by side where it specifically states it. 707
post #453 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 05:14 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

According the Onkyo website the 807 has 192k/24 bit DAC's, but nowhere does it say anything about it being burr-brown. Link

Here's the 707 so you can see them side by side where it specifically states it. 707

In Europe they do state it has Burr Brown: check under features: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/TX-NR807.html
So now you know for sure

Onkyo TX-SR707 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550, Chario Hiper 2000T fronts, Chario Hiper Dialogue Center, Monitor Audio RXFX Surrounds, Rel Quake 200E Subwoofer, Infocus X10 FullHD
post #454 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Yeah, after I saw this I downloaded the manual for the 807. It does have them. I was wondering why they would use it in one and not in the other, but who am I to ponder the technical genius of onkyo's engineers?
post #455 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:

Yeah, after I saw this I downloaded the manual for the 807. It does have them. I was wondering why they would use it in one and not in the other, but who am I to ponder the technical genius of onkyo's engineers?

Yeah, that is weird isn't it? I don't know why, maybe to try and sell more 707's than 807's? Don't know the reason for that as well so :P

On a more on-topic note, I went to do some more testing, ofcourse lol, and noted that with THX select some things sound to be more in the center than with no processing. Even music is more stretched out, now I am wondering what if this is more to reference or not. Even though, I might like the one more over the other ofcourse, but I still want to know how things work. So people, discuss!

Onkyo TX-SR707 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550, Chario Hiper 2000T fronts, Chario Hiper Dialogue Center, Monitor Audio RXFX Surrounds, Rel Quake 200E Subwoofer, Infocus X10 FullHD
post #456 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan81 View Post

Yeah, that is weird isn't it? I don't know why, maybe to try and sell more 707's than 807's? Don't know the reason for that as well so :P

On a more on-topic note, I went to do some more testing, ofcourse lol, and noted that with THX select some things sound to be more in the center than with no processing. Even music is more stretched out, now I am wondering what if this is more to reference or not. Even though, I might like the one more over the other ofcourse, but I still want to know how things work. So people, discuss!

Lol, i think they would want to sell more 807s, not vice versa, they make more money when selling the 807

Its just a typo the onkyo website is really crappy when it comes to showing correct specs on their products
post #457 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

Lol, i think they would want to sell more 807s, not vice versa, they make more money when selling the 807

Its just a typo the onkyo website is really crappy when it comes to showing correct specs on their products

Well, that is what I thought at first, but maybe there is more different than we know and the 707 in the and makes them more money?! Or you are right and it is just a stupid mistake of the designers and quality control at the Onkyo website department.

post #458 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:

I had the 807 for a week. In the Manual under features it states that it has "burr brown" DACs.

If you download the US Manual you will see it.

Features
Amplifier
(TX-NR807)

• 135 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohms (FTC)
• 180 Watts/Channel @ 6 ohms (IEC)
• 230 Watts/Channel @ 6 ohms (JEITA)
(HT-RC180)
• 110 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohms (FTC)
• WRAT–Wide Range Amplifier Technology
(5 Hz-100 kHz bandwidth)
• Linear Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
• Push-Pull Amplifier Design with 3-Step Inverted Darlington
Circuitry
Latest Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit DAC Improves
Jitter Performance for Cleaner Sound

• Two TI (Aureus) 32-bit Processing DSP
post #459 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 08:44 AM

BTW does anyone here use a Logitech Harmony? I'm using the 807 specs (similar) for the 707 which is not as yet in their database.
post #460 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post

BTW does anyone here use a Logitech Harmony? I'm using the 807 specs (similar) for the 707 which is not as yet in their database.

Yes im using my Harmony 550 with the 707, works perfectly.
post #461 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 AM

I have a more technical question for you all. It is about crossovers, if I would set the crossovers to 80hz, what order (2nd or 4th order) crossover is used? As I have read here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/techn...t.html?start=2 (read "the for you techies" part near the bottom of the page) that THX uses 2nd order crossovers in their speakers and a 2nd order in the amp when used in THX mode to acquire perfect transition of the bass between the sub and the speakers.

Now if I would set the crossover to 80hz for my speakers and use THX mode does this mean my speakers do not give that perfect transition as my speakers are not THX certified? If this is the case, will they give the right transition when I do not use THX mode, or just use another crossover setting which does not say (THX) in behind the 80Hz?

I want a perfect system, so just really want to know about this of my Onkyo 707.

Thanks again all!

post #462 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 AM

Liked: 10
Hello lamonsasa...As you know, I've been on several of the audio and LCD threads for weeks and am finally proud to say, I am just about done with purchasing everything. I say...just about done.

Bought...LG 47LH90 LED TV...New slim PS3 for my DVD's and Blue Rays...Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800 5.1 speakers. Most of my TV viewing will be from my Time Warner Cable Box watching regular HD channels and shows, movies and sports and about 25% of my viewing will be watching DVD's and Blue Rays from the PS3. I also have an I-Pod and that is the only source that I will use for music listening.

Now...The Receiver...This is the only piece of equipment I have not purchased yet, even though you have repeated and repeated that I should get the 707.

I am going to buy this weekend, but my final question is: In your opinion and experience, for my use from what I described above, do you think I should get the 707, or the Pioneer Elite 23. They are both close on price. I see the Elite now has Anchor bay 1015 chip set, whatever that is and some different music calibration.

Based on your knowledge, if you have knowledge with both, sound quality, amp quality, video quality, ease of set-up, least amount of issues, would you still suggest I get the 707 or is this Pioneer Elite a formidable contender.

Thanks again... and I will not bother you or anyone further. I have taken up enough time of many on here. I just need to buy something and get it over with and begin to enjoy.

Dave
post #463 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM

I owned the Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH for a week in my testing phase, prior to settling on the Onkyo 707.

The decision for me was a no brainer. The Onkyo cost $698CDN and the Pioneer cost $1100CDN.

Its difficult to advise because both sound great, but different. Pioneer uses the MCACC and Onkyo uses Audyssey. As a result the Pioneer sound, to me , is cleaner and higher whereas the Onkyo tends to have more bass. The MCACC is more "tweakable", than the Audyssey, and has six Presets of different configuration you can save and use.

The pioneer up conversion is superior to the Onkyo but if you have all HD inputs, like me, you won't bother. Pioneer uses the ABT conversion chip which is supposedly superior to the Farroudja used by Onkyo.

The Pioneer generates about as much heat as the Onkyo Receiver.

I preferred the Onkyo because my house has built in Height Speakers which I can now use.

Its difficult to prefer the Pioneer over the Onkyo, or vice versa. I'm not an Onkyo loyalist (this is my first Onkyo) and I did not have any decision to make because the price was so far apart.

The Pioneers have a better reputation, so I hear, for build quality but some Onkyo owners might protest otherwise.

You should purchase both from a store, that has refunds, test them yourself and make a choice.

However no matter which one you choose they are both great.
post #464 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Hello everyone,

I am looking into purchasing a sound system for Home Theater usage (~40%), music/radio (20%), and just plain television watching (40%). I have a PS3 as a blue ray source right now, HD cable box, LCD TV (with eyes on a projector in a year or so!), and HTPC usage between now and some time in the future! I am intending to hook all of these components up using HDMI cables whenever possible (from Monoprice of course)

This will be my first foray into the world of real home audio with my previous experience being just a 5.1 boxed computer speaker set (a Logitec Z-5500). I would like something that will last me awhile and be relatively expandable if I happen to fall into some money but not be exorbitantly expensive. Im looking at ABOUT $2000 for a 5.1 system (Reciever, LCR and LRsurround speakers, and a subwoofer).

I was wondering if anyone could help me decide between the Onkyo 607 and 707 models. A quick overview of what kind of system I am looking at getting:

-Polk Monitor 50, 60, or 70 for fronts
-Polk CS2 for center
-Polk Monitor 30 or 40 for surrounds (just two for now, expanding to 7.1 later)
-Some powered subwoofer I've yet to decide on

From what I've read so far on the topic of recievers it seems that either the 607 or the 707 would have no problems powering what I have listed here since they are all pretty sensitive speakers (89-90dB).

I have also read that for future expandability by use of standalone amplifiers for the speakers, preouts from the receiver are required. This leads to the 707 since it is the lowest level that has preouts of the Onkyos that i've found.

Edit:
How different is the Audyssey setup on the 707 to the 607?

Is Audyssey DSX something I even need getting into HT like I am?

As far as the video from each system. I would like the better picture from upscaling obviously, but the PS3 is pretty good at it by itself, so it isnt a requirement.

I guess what I'm looking for in a nut shell from you guys is a reason to, or not to, $250 extra on the receiver.

Thank you in advance for the help!
post #465 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briliu View Post

Hello everyone,

I am looking into purchasing a sound system for Home Theater usage (~40%), music/radio (20%), and just plain television watching (40%). I have a PS3 as a blue ray source right now, HD cable box, LCD TV (with eyes on a projector in a year or so!), and HTPC usage between now and some time in the future! I am intending to hook all of these components up using HDMI cables whenever possible (from Monoprice of course)

This will be my first foray into the world of real home audio with my previous experience being just a 5.1 boxed computer speaker set (a Logitec Z-5500). I would like something that will last me awhile and be relatively expandable if I happen to fall into some money but not be exorbitantly expensive. Im looking at ABOUT $2000 for a 5.1 system (Reciever, LCR and LRsurround speakers, and a subwoofer).

I was wondering if anyone could help me decide between the Onkyo 607 and 707 models. A quick overview of what kind of system I am looking at getting:

-Polk CS2 for center

From what I've read so far on the topic of recievers it seems that either the 607 or the 707 would have no problems powering what I have listed here since they are all pretty sensitive speakers (89-90dB).

I have also read that for future expandability by use of standalone amplifiers for the speakers, preouts from the receiver are required. This leads to the 707 since it is the lowest level that has preouts of the Onkyos that i've found.

Edit:

As far as the video from each system. I would like the better picture from upscaling obviously, but the PS3 is pretty good at it by itself, so it isnt a requirement.

I guess what I'm looking for in a nut shell from you guys is a reason to, or not to, $250 extra on the receiver.

the 607 doesnt equalize your subwoofer and it's auddysey version is inferior to that of the 707, the 607's 2EQ auddysey also has a max of 3 positions to be measured where the 707 has 6.
post #466 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

Hello lamonsasa...As you know, I've been on several of the audio and LCD threads for weeks and am finally proud to say, I am just about done with purchasing everything. I say...just about done.

Bought...LG 47LH90 LED TV...New slim PS3 for my DVD's and Blue Rays...Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800 5.1 speakers. Most of my TV viewing will be from my Time Warner Cable Box watching regular HD channels and shows, movies and sports and about 25% of my viewing will be watching DVD's and Blue Rays from the PS3. I also have an I-Pod and that is the only source that I will use for music listening.

Now...The Receiver...This is the only piece of equipment I have not purchased yet, even though you have repeated and repeated that I should get the 707.

I am going to buy this weekend, but my final question is: In your opinion and experience, for my use from what I described above, do you think I should get the 707, or the Pioneer Elite 23. They are both close on price. I see the Elite now has Anchor bay 1015 chip set, whatever that is and some different music calibration.

Based on your knowledge, if you have knowledge with both, sound quality, amp quality, video quality, ease of set-up, least amount of issues, would you still suggest I get the 707 or is this Pioneer Elite a formidable contender.

Thanks again... and I will not bother you or anyone further. I have taken up enough time of many on here. I just need to buy something and get it over with and begin to enjoy.

Dave

Hey buddy, this is a no brainer to me to be honest, im all with Onkyo, if i EVER EVER were to buy another brand it would be dennon , i would never buy another brand, i mean for me, for features and price , Onkyo is the way to go, the Pio doesnt have all the AUDDYSEY technologies and THX technologies that the Onkyo has, its truely a no brainer man, get the 707 , you will LOVVVVE it, its really good , i have height speakers installed aswell, sound is very full and balanced , Dynamic Volume is hella good too, no longer LOUD HIGHS and barely heared dialogue, everything is balanced with a punch. Get the 707, u will have one hell of a system, no need to look futher.
post #467 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 04:00 PM

Which ipod dock do you folks recommend for the 707? Newegg shows 2 models: the DS-A3 and the UP-A1. I have an older "ipod classic" with video (60 GB), but I will be getting an ipod touch soon. Any help would be appreciated.
post #468 of 3607 Old 10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthemma View Post

Which ipod dock do you folks recommend for the 707? Newegg shows 2 models: the DS-A3 and the UP-A1. I have an older "ipod classic" with video (60 GB), but I will be getting an ipod touch soon. Any help would be appreciated.

hey man, the UP-A1 is the way to go, its a one connection installation to the universal port, the DS-A3 has it owns remote, its own power cord , Blah besides, if u check on onkyo's site, they dont say the DS A3 supports the iphone, however for the UP-A1 it does state it works with the iphone, just for future proofing, but i mean just for the single connection setup the UP-A1 is the way to go, i want one aswell but i cant find any for a good price, $90 is quiete high for me to pay for a dock , especially since i dont listen to music all the time, do u know of any other place to get it for cheaper brand new? used would be fine aswell as long as the price is reasonable, it doesnt have to be new
post #469 of 3607 Old 10-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briliu View Post

Hello everyone,

-Polk CS2 for center

Edit:

Speakers are just as important as your AVR and there are many good ones to choose from (Energy, Jamo, TSC, Emotiva, etc).

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
post #470 of 3607 Old 10-03-2009, 01:56 PM

Hey all, quick question: is anyone using this receiver with a TiVo?

I’m having a problem with speaker pops. At the end of a show (when it prompts me to delete it), or when the signal from my antenna is interrupted for a bit, my speakers emit a sort of a high-pitched screech followed by a click or pop. I’ve read that sometimes the TiVo sends bad Dolby Digital data, and some receivers choke on it. I’m all for blaming TiVo, but this sounds a bit like Spacetronaut’s problem that he posted earlier in this thread. As a data point, my buddy’s 806 and TiVo play along just fine.

EDIT: lamonsasa, you have a PM.
post #471 of 3607 Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's lame that zone 2 only supports analog inputs? Maybe it's just me but I would have thought a MSRP $899 receiver could handle digital audio in zone 2.
Bummer for XM/Serius MP3 digital player.
post #472 of 3607 Old 10-03-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
A lot of receivers can only play analog inputs for zone 2 or 3, and quite a few of them also cost a lot more than $900.
post #473 of 3607 Old 10-03-2009, 09:01 PM

I have a 707 with a connected PS3 for gaming and blue ray. I just noticed that the Onkyo audio mode always stays fixed in prologic mode even when I am playing a blue ray disc which is providing 5.1 Dolby. I have the PS3 connected into my 707 via HDMI cable into the game port. I have gone through the set up screens for input preferences and I can't find anything wrong.

Am I missing something obvious?
post #474 of 3607 Old 10-03-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstea View Post

I have a 707 with a connected PS3 for gaming and blue ray. I just noticed that the Onkyo audio mode always stays fixed in prologic mode even when I am playing a blue ray disc which is providing 5.1 Dolby. I have the PS3 connected into my 707 via HDMI cable into the game port. I have gone through the set up screens for input preferences and I can't find anything wrong.

Am I missing something obvious?

what do u meam? maybe u made prologic the default mode
post #475 of 3607 Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

what do u meam? maybe u made prologic the default mode

I expect the 707 to go to Dolby Digital. It won't let me switch to that mode when I am playing a blue ray that is providing DD 5.1. I do not have prologic set as a default. I am going to try resetting the receiver.
post #476 of 3607 Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

If you hit the display button on your remote it will tell you what audio type is being recieved. Do you have your PS3 configuired to bitstream DD?
post #477 of 3607 Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Hi, I just got my TX-SR707 and I can't figure out how to have all audio, regardless of source pass through the "TV/TAPE OUT" RCA connection on the back of the unit.

My TV is older and doesn't have HDMI in, only DVI+RCA Audio, thus i convert HDMI out to DVI. My main goal with the 707 was to stop using the optical out from multiple devices and simply use the HDMI in to support my DD/DD5.1/DD7.1 needs while feeding an analog version of those signals, regardless of source out to the TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
post #478 of 3607 Old 10-03-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

If you hit the display button on your remote it will tell you what audio type is being recieved. Do you have your PS3 configuired to bitstream DD?

I did trial and error on every setting I could think of with the receiver and the PS3. It started working when I switched to bitstream on the PS3. I was going to report this back and I just saw your post. Thanks. I should have posted earlier and saved myself some time...
post #479 of 3607 Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 AM

Maybe i'm not explaining my goal properly. So i'll use the PS3 or XBOX 360 as my example as they're both devices i have attached.

Currently I use HDMI out from each of them, but convert that to DVI since my TV isn't blessed with HDMI, thus I lose audio to the TV.

To send audio I use the optical audio connection from each of the devices into an old Sony receiver which is how I have 5.1 audio. I also like the stereo audio coming from the TV so I use analog adapters from both devices into another switch box that allows me to switch Analog audio to the TV... It works, but it's a convoluted mess.

This is why I bought the 707, I have hopes of simply passing the HDMI out from each devices , into the 707, and out to the TV using an HDMI to DVI conversion cable while using RCA audio to the TV and servicing my 5.1/7.1 needs through the receiver thus eliminating the extra cables and bulk in my setup.

Hopefully this makes more sence... I hope i'm not wrong in thinking that the 707 can do a simple digital audio to analog audio conversion...

Any help in solving this puzzle would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.
post #480 of 3607 Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Liked: 53
Aupton,

Connect the TV to the L/R pre-out connection. If you are using an amp you can use a 'Y' adapter. The tape out/loop applies to stereo sources and won't work with 5-7.1 sources.

Bob
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page