Official Onkyo TX-SR707 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3605 Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure when the official release date was but got my hands on the new TX-SR 707. So far after initial setup it sounds wonderful and quite the upgrade from my TX-SR 600.

Will try to get some pics if interested!

Onkyo-shark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3605 Old 08-12-2009, 04:35 PM

I saw in the 607 thread that someone saw the 707 on sale at a site, so I went to Onkyo.com and low and behold there it was. (I was there just a few days ago and could've swore I did not see it in the lineup!)

I also swung byAmazon and they list it In Stock for less than MSRP. (Shhh... I didn't say that.) Additionally, if you search for it, the results have "(Aug 12, 2009)" next to the link. So, I guess today is the "official" release day.

Oh, well... three months too late for me, as I am sitting happy with my 607.

So, congratulations to all you future 707 owners. And if you are 15 years between receivers like I was, you are sure in for a ride!

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #33 of 3605 Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 PM

Video Only has it for way below MSRP. Much better than anyone else right now. I believe they said they just put it out yesterday or today.

I still went with the 607 though, not enough difference for me to justify the extra $250.
post #34 of 3605 Old 08-13-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryloc View Post

I still went with the 607 though, not enough difference for me to justify the extra $250.

I just went to their website (not having heard about them before), but not only would I not be able to justify the extra cash, but also the time and $$$ for the road trip to up and back to NoCal.

"Honey, I'm gonna run to the store to pick up the new receiver. I'll be back... tomorrow."

post #35 of 3605 Old 08-13-2009, 12:50 AM

My company has these on order. I however just bought the 607. It is very awesome.
post #36 of 3605 Old 08-13-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

I just went to their website (not having heard about them before), but not only would I not be able to justify the extra cash, but also the time and $$$ for the road trip to up and back to NoCal.

"Honey, I'm gonna run to the store to pick up the new receiver. I'll be back... tomorrow."

Haha. I'm sure with the speeds in California, you could do it in a day

And they have locations in San Fran, San Mateo, Hayton, and Dublin. Those all considered NoCal?

You could always take your wife on a day trip to San Fran and just happen to see it on the way

They are basically a discount A/V retailer with comission sales people. They're prices are usually good, and they can usually go lower.
post #37 of 3605 Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryloc View Post

And they have locations in San Fran, San Mateo, Hay[ward], and Dublin. Those all considered NoCal?

Yup, they are all NoCal, very close to the Bay Area... all within 25 to 35 miles from Frisco. (BTW, don't call it that to a local, they'll shoot you for it... to them, it's "The City"... ) The closest to me is Dublin, even tho San Mateo is the furthest South... y'know, freeways and all.

Quote:

I'm sure with the speeds in California, you could do it in a day

I could, I guess... but that'd be an 820-mile round trip!!! You're killing me! I have a buddy near Sac, but even for him it's a 215-mile RT.

Quote:

You could always take your wife on a day trip to San Fran and just happen to see it on the way

Yeah, sure... I could try. But once she found out what I was up to, then she'd want to swing by Alcatraz and see if the are planning on "re-opening".

post #38 of 3605 Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
guys, at this moment, where is the cheapest place i can buy an SR707 from? new or refurb, either one.

thanks
post #39 of 3605 Old 08-15-2009, 10:39 PM

I am considering purchasing the TX-SR707 to replace my TX-SR576. I am particularly interested in the upscaling feature from S-Video to 1080p. Could anyone tell me the quality of upscaling?

I know TX-SR607 does not support S-Video - and not a direct comparison - but I have read the upscaling for component on it is awful. I presume this would be the case for the TX-SR707 and TX-NR807 since they use the same technology - or am I wrong in this thinking?

Ted.
post #40 of 3605 Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 PM

Hope to use the right terminology I'm looking at both the 607 and 707...can these units passthrough a cable signal. Can I watch tv with the receiver off?
Thanks
post #41 of 3605 Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 PM

I believe the 707/807 use DCDi Cinema which is a better version I presume(at least goes up to 1080p). Still probably rated lower than the Anchor Bay and Reon processors.

As far as passthrough, I believe someone was able to do it over at the 607 official thread. I'd read that to be sure. Seems sometimes the Onkyo can do things the manual states it cannot.(or isn't clear)

And Vulcan, when you say Northern California, I think up near the Oregon border.... All those places are about 1700 miles very south of me....Guess Cali is too long for it's own good.
post #42 of 3605 Old 08-22-2009, 03:39 AM

Anchor Bay and Reon are not used by Onkyo and are those chips discontinued now anyway?

Ted.
post #43 of 3605 Old 08-23-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Rogers View Post

Anchor Bay and Reon are not used by Onkyo and are those chips discontinued now anyway?

Ted.

Poster was inquiring if the video output on the 707 was improved from the 607.

Denon uses Anchor Bay ABT-2010 in their 2310(lower version in 1910), not sure what the Pioneer uses.

Basically both the Pioneer and Denon will probably have better video output than the Onkyo.

Don't think I've seen any reviews on the 707/807s video though. Any previous models use the Faj DcDi Cinema and have been reviewed?
post #44 of 3605 Old 08-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper View Post

Hope to use the right terminology I'm looking at both the 607 and 707...can these units passthrough a cable signal. Can I watch tv with the receiver off?
Thanks

You can pass a signal through with the receiver off. I did it today.
post #45 of 3605 Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Rogers View Post

Ted.

The Onkyo TX-NR3007 and 5007 are using the HQV Reon-VX. The others are using the Faroudja.
post #46 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 04:28 AM

Picked mine up today and installed.

Will be the best mid range receiver for 2009.

I have had many Onkyo receivers in the past and this one ONKYO have done it right.

OSD display over HDMI - 24 and 60

Built in fan near the Heat Sink (on the side) - warm but no really hot like a 876

The DISPLAY button now shows the setting of the input and the sound/video information being processed

Quiet

No real delay with HDMI switching

Excellent new menu setup

Perfect auto setup calibration

Number of inputs

They have a real winner - well done ONKYO

Regards

Dejoko

NOTE : FOUND my first bug the optical out of my TV to the CD optical in doesn't lock on and the receiver display switches between analog and digital. The setting on the receiver is either analog or auto.

If some one else can confirm - I will purchase a new optical cable tomorrow.

UPDATE : Did a factory reset and reconfigured all good now.

It a keeper if you want any pictures with the OSD let me know.

Current speakers: JBL Balboa package and JBL C8 in wall speakers.
post #47 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

The Onkyo TX-NR3007 and 5007 are using the HQV Reon-VX. The others are using the Faroudja.

But not all the same Faroudja.
post #48 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 12:19 PM

Hello...I am new to the forum and I hate to say, totally stupid when it comes to knowing what to buy, how to connect the stuff and probably a million other things. Too bad you just can't plug a few chords in and that's it.

I just turned 55 and need some help. I am going to purchase a Samsung 46 inch flat panel TV in the next few weeks for my finished basement sports room. I also plan on purchasing an Onkyo A/V receiver but only running 5.1 sound through Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 600 or 800 series speakers. I also plan to buy a Blue Ray player and would like to connect my music only I-Pod to the receiver.

Even though I do not understand all of the terminology of the receiver part, I do have a keen ear and want the best sound I can get out of my $800 receiver budget and $700 to $1100 dollar speaker budget of the Definitive Technology speakers.

I have no idea how to hook this stuff up or calibrate things or even how to fine tune a thing. Feel like a moron. Is the 707 receiver a good choice for overall sound quality of music, audio from the TV programs, TV sporting events, and Blue Ray and DVD discs? Or do I need to go higher up the scale, or even lower down the line. When I did a comparison of the Onkyo receivers and all of the little enblems that show up, I just got more confused. Plus, I have no idea how the receiver affects the TV picture quality, if it does.

Thanks for any advice you can provide. Maybe I need to buy the receiver and TV from a local store or box store so they can set things up for me and calibrate everything, unless you think a novice can get by. I know if I can pull it off, I would save a lot more money buying this stuff on-line.

Thanks for the help.

Dave
post #49 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 01:37 PM

Dejocko, Thanks for the report, sounds like the 707 is the mid range to buy. How do rate the audio and video of the receiver?
What speakers are you using with the 707? Thanks, again
post #50 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

But not all the same Faroudja.

Ok, so maybe it would be helpful if you offered the differences?
post #51 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

Is the 707 receiver a good choice for overall sound quality of music, audio from the TV programs, TV sporting events, and Blue Ray and DVD discs?

Yes.

Quote:

Maybe I need to buy the receiver and TV from a local store or box store so they can set things up for me and calibrate everything, unless you think a novice can get by. I know if I can pull it off, I would save a lot more money buying this stuff on-line.

Since you are dealing with a couple of HDMI connections and 5 speakers I think you can handle it without issue. Using the Audyssey calibration that comes with the unit you can do this alone. Very simple. You can also get a Blu-Ray and DVD calibration discs to calibrate your TV.

Get the 707 and do it yourself. No problem.
post #52 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

Since you are dealing with a couple of HDMI connections and 5 speakers I think you can handle it without issue. Using the Audyssey calibration that comes with the unit you can do this alone. Very simple. You can also get a Blu-Ray and DVD calibration discs to calibrate your TV.

I second this. With an all HDMI connection (plus whatever iPod connection you choose), you will have very few cables to mess with. In fact, hooking up your speakers will be more of a chore! And Audyssey is easy, but you can go to the Audyssey thread for tips before you start.

Oh, and before you begin, remember to RTFM. It is fairly well written, tho some things may not seem straightforward. Check back here or the 607 thread and I am sure you will find the answers to all your questions.

You can go to Onkyo's 707 downloads page and download the manual now before you buy (don't worry, they still include a hard copy with the unit... ), just so you can see if there is anything that may concern you.

VSP

post #53 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 04:51 PM

I'm a Denon fan but willing to go Onkyo. I love Audyssey and want the DSX. Denon seems to have missed the new boat with only a $2k receiver.

Not trying to spread misinfo but does this Onkyo support the 3 levels of Audyssey Dynamic Volume? It seems like I read somewhere on these forums that it is sometimes only 2...or maybe it was multeq or dynamic EQ that was different than the full-featured Denon's.
I really want 9 channels and hope Onkyo comes out with a 9 channel version that beats Denon's $3k price tag too.

Thanks for any replies.
post #54 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 PM

I did notice today at Newegg.com, they list 3 new Onkyo receivers that are 9.1. I am not sure if this is what you are inquiring about. The prices for all three were under $3000. I think they were in the $1500 to $2500 range. New Egg is the only place that even shows these units are out.

Hope this helps. By the way, thanks so far for everyone who has helped me with my buying choice of an Onkyo Receiver. I wasn't sure if I should get the 807 or the 707 I inquired about. Don't really know the differences besides the power ratings and I think the 707 is I-Pod compatible without having to buy the adaptor but not Sirius Radio ready. I am sure there are a few other things, but do not know if it effects the sound and/or picture quality.

Hope to view more comments over the weekend.

Dave
post #55 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So what is nearly as good as a high end receiver, much better than a lower end model and easily the best middle end receiver to date? The Onkyo TX-SR707. How? Why? I will spend the next few paragraphs explaining my case. Simply put, this unit is an 807 LITE.

I was shocked when I unboxed it. To me it reminded me of the 807 I just had in its place. Minus the front door and Ethernet (807) of course and the front HDMI (707) input. I also realize the 807 has 135 watts per channel anf the 707 has a 100. Still though, if you do not ever have an 807 and get the 707 you will not miss a thing The 707 has just about everything else the 807 has. More importantly it has its performance level!

Speaking of performance... The 707 has the same nice Faroudja scaling (no macroblocking) and the same OSD as the 807. And all over HDMI (Volume included at 1080p/60/24-pic below showing it). I included some scaling pics, set up screen shots and some of the 707. Scaling to 1080p is very impressive. Sure it is not the REON chip or VRS but still the Faroudja is not chop liver! The scaling pics are on my 120.5" screen. So I am sure most screens 60" and below will look even better! Notice the amount of detail that is visible. You get the same picture adjustments (pic below) and the same remote option buttons (pic below). Most important (to me at least) it has the PLIIz Height and Audyssey DSX sound to. I won't repeat myself again and again but this new sound format has made a HUGE difference in my theater. The 707 has not made me like it any less. After doing the Audyssey set up with the included mic (pic below) I was able to enjoy it to its fullest again. For those who are not familiar with Height it really adds to the sensation of "being there" when watching a movie. The Height speakers (above the Front L & R speakers) will do rain, helicopters and roaring football fans. Only when they are supposed to. The 707 is no exception and does it every bit as good as the 807 and Denon 4310. The only difference is less power...

The remote... Just like before (with the 807) you get Audio and Display options. These are both very helpful. Audio gives you immediate control of Dynamic Volume, Re-EQ, Late Night and bass and treble. Display tells you what's coming and what's going. In terms of resolutions, color bit and sound. Out is whatever you picked. Simple. You also get THX, Movie/TV, Game and Music modes with direct buttons. Simple.

So besides the best features including THX Loudness Plus (allows you to hear details at lower volume levels) you get excellent connection options. HDMI 1.3a (5 in back and 1 in front for quick plug and play), component (2) and of course other inputs including composites, optical and coax. And since it has Pre-Outs I plan to test it (also glad it has 12v trigger out) as a "pre-pro" with my new B&K 200.7 AMP. Of course that is another "report" for another thread...

So finally listening to the sound... I played some DirecTV movies and of course Blu ray titles. The Center channel is strong and very distinct. More so then you would expect at this price level. I seriously could not tell I was using a "Middle End" receiver. The various movie soundtracks came together nicely. Whether it was bullets whipping by or thunderstorms in the Heights never felt like I was a spectator. Music was also very clean with nice clarity. The 707 is the real deal...

Finally... As I sit here and ponder something clever to say about the 707 the best way to describe it is in Onkyo's own words. Pound for pound, the TX-SR707 stands out as a muscular and versatile middleweight contender. To me though, it is the Champion...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #56 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

707 Set Up Screen shots...
LL
LL
LL

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #57 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

SCREAM scaling...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #58 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

A couple more Scream shots... Don't miss the detail and sharpness in these pics!
LL
LL

post #59 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Get Out Scaling... Some very beautiful shots. The last is my favorite...
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #60 of 3605 Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM

Thanks Joe!

You've tested both the 607 and 707. Would you say the improvements between the two are worth say...an extra $250?

Do you know if the 707 can TV out the sound via HDMI while still playing full sound on the speakers? The 607 cuts the speakers down to 2.0 and many mixing/configuration options are unavailable.

Can any of the Onkyo's do this? Denon? Pioneer?

One day down the line I may upgrade my fronts and move my current SBS-01s to heights, but I wonder if it will make an impact in a small 9x12 room.(I'll only be 6-8 feet from the speakers)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page