Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafkat View Post

If you are thinking of using a fan to cool the 707, this shouldn't be necessary imo.

The 707 I'm currently testing only gets slightly warm, even when cranked at higher volumes for extended time. No fan necessary in 70 F room.

(For comparison, the TX-SR507 I tried ran very hot, even while idling. This hot-running 507 issue is echoed by others posting on forums. That was one reason I returned the 507.)

For the wife acceptance factor I need to have in an enclosed cabinet. I will have some ventilation holes and need to move the air with a small fan. I will probably end up having the fan run at all times but it would be nice if it was just activated when the receiver is on.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

Hello lamonsasa...newegg.com has it on their website for $649 with free shipping and no tax. They just lowered it Saturday afternoon.

Dave

Oh man thats an awesome price, u think i should pull the trigger or the price will go down more by thanksgiving?
post #123 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 AM

I do not think it will go down that much more by Thanksgiving, but that is just my opinion, which probably doesn't mean much. My decision is that I am also looking at the 707, but see that the older model 876 is $779 factory refurbished and $949 new while still in supply. The 876 might come down to under $800 new.

I am trying to figure out if this $1799 list 876 even though a year old, is a better choice than the 707 for just $100 more as a factory refurbished with warranty or $200 more brand new.

Any help or thoughts from experienced people other than me would be helpful.

Dave
post #124 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstea View Post

From the pictures I have not seen a switched AC outlet on the 707, HT180 or 807[...] I want to have a fan that kicks on when the receiver is active. Any suggestions?

I recently saw a product called the Smart Strip which has switched power outlets with one "control" outlet and a few always hot outlets. This might fit your needs. I am looking to get one with some fans, but more so for my Dish ViP 722, since it gets so hot that it causes my Oppo sitting on top of it to freeze. It even has a dial so that you can set the amount of juice that will turn on the switched devices, since most devices vary in their consumption when in standby. This will hopefully work well for my DVR, since the fan(s) should turn on when it ramps up to record and then off again when it's done.

I think there are other brands available - I have seen one by Philips - so if you search for smart surge protection you should find them.

So aside from getting a fan with a temp sensor, this might be your best bet.

Hope this helps.

VSP

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
post #125 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 04:05 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's better to get something with a thermostat control. No need to run the fan unless it's too hot. Also, you want it to run when you turn hot equipment off or the heat could spike after you power down with the fan off. Obviously, that's extreme, but possible.
post #126 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do not think it will go down that much more by Thanksgiving, but that is just my opinion, which probably doesn't mean much. My decision is that I am also looking at the 707, but see that the older model 876 is $779 factory refurbished and $949 new while still in supply. The 876 might come down to under $800 new.

I am trying to figure out if this $1799 list 876 even though a year old, is a better choice than the 707 for just $100 more as a factory refurbished with warranty or $200 more brand new.

Any help or thoughts from experienced people other than me would be helpful.

Dave

Personally i dont think its worth getting any of the XX6 models any more man, think about the future, maybe movies will start to use the new Dolby z format and you be hitting yourself in the head for buying the year old 876 instead of getting the new XX7 model with the new auddysey DSX, new dolby format. its upto u of course but i wont waste my money on a refurb POS, seriously , i would spend like $400 on a refurb reciever but not $800. if i pay $800 on something then i expect it to be brand new factory sealed and not some refurb POS that someone messed up and was sent over to Onkyo for repairs and what not.

I spoke with Joe on the phone(the guy who reviewed both the 707 and 807) and he told me the 707 is just unbelivable, he told me that you cant tell a difference in sound between the 707 and 807 when you raise the 707's volume a little higher than what the 807 is set to at a given time.
post #127 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the information and help. It looks to me like I will now be getting the 707 after reading so many positive comments. I believe I read a few comments that said the 707 was missing some key features of the 807, but again, being new to this, I am not sure if meant it was better to get the 807.

I do know that at www.newegg.com, they have lowered the price on the 707 to $649 with free shipping and no tax. That seems to be about the best price we may see for awhile. So, I think I will order it from them sometime this week, unless Crutchfield or Vann's will match price.

I just wish they would make this model in Silver like many of their other models since I am not a fan of Black.

Thanks

Dave
post #128 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 05:06 PM

Please pardon this complete newb question, but I have my eye on this unit for my first real AVR....

Does the 707 or related models need to be "on" to pass HDMI from the last used source to, for example, an XBR9 TV panel? Or will it pass HDMI in standby? I'm trying to anticipate how less technical family members would live with this, and not having to "turn on" another component for routine TV is pretty much a requirement in my house.

Related question...does the "HDMI Control" feature play well/interoperate with the corresponding technology on the Sony XBR9?

BK
post #129 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the information and help. It looks to me like I will now be getting the 707 after reading so many positive comments. I believe I read a few comments that said the 707 was missing some key features of the 807, but again, being new to this, I am not sure if meant it was better to get the 807.

I do know that at www.newegg.com, they have lowered the price on the 707 to $649 with free shipping and no tax. That seems to be about the best price we may see for awhile. So, I think I will order it from them sometime this week, unless Crutchfield or Vann's will match price.

I just wish they would make this model in Silver like many of their other models since I am not a fan of Black.

Thanks

Dave

Sure thing man, it doesnt make sense to pay your hard earned $800 for something that has been "repaired" lol, well at least not to me lol, u know, in technology, you cant beat it, there will ALWAYS be something better the next year i can tell u this from exprience cuz i been buying some serious technology for a few years now , upgrading from model to model and what not, the LAST thing u want to do is buy LAST YEARS model and ontop of that, one that has been Refurbished

I am highly thinking about jumping on the offer from newegg for $649 , thats a very attractive price. But i will order it from ABT Electronics, i HIGHLY recommand them , i bought all my stuff from them, including my $3600 55" LED LCD. im pretty sure they will price match the price of newegg.
post #130 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

I recently saw a product called the Smart Strip which has switched power outlets with one "control" outlet and a few always hot outlets. This might fit your needs. I am looking to get one with some fans, but more so for my Dish ViP 722, since it gets so hot that it causes my Oppo sitting on top of it to freeze. It even has a dial so that you can set the amount of juice that will turn on the switched devices, since most devices vary in their consumption when in standby. This will hopefully work well for my DVR, since the fan(s) should turn on when it ramps up to record and then off again when it's done.

I think there are other brands available - I have seen one by Philips - so if you search for smart surge protection you should find them.

So aside from getting a fan with a temp sensor, this might be your best bet.

Hope this helps.

VSP

That will do it. The price is not much more than a regular power strip either. Thanks.
post #131 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_856er View Post

Please pardon this complete newb question, but I have my eye on this unit for my first real AVR....

Does the 707 or related models need to be "on" to pass HDMI from the last used source to, for example, an XBR9 TV panel? Or will it pass HDMI in standby? I'm trying to anticipate how less technical family members would live with this, and not having to "turn on" another component for routine TV is pretty much a requirement in my house.

Related question...does the "HDMI Control" feature play well/interoperate with the corresponding technology on the Sony XBR9?

BK

The 707 remote has a programmable button labeled "My TV". You can program it to turn on just about anything in your setup. It just tried it out on my wife today, and even she could use it. There is another programmable button labeled "All Off". Guess what you can program on that button...

I turned on the "HDMI Control" (aka CEC, Consumer Electronics Control) feature on my 707 hooked to a Samsung 650 TV. It didn't work all that well and just got in the way, so I turned it off.

My only complaint about the 707 remote is that it doesn't have back-light on the buttons. Otherwise, it seems to be logically laid out and easy to use. I found that the pause button for my Samsung blu-ray didn't work, but it was easy enough for the 707 remote to learn the command from the blu-ray remote. Nice.
post #132 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 11:21 PM

I've seen comments that the 507 and 607 run crazy hot, but the 707 does not share this trait and is only "warm" to the touch.

Anyone know how the ht-rc180 compares with respect to temperature? Does not seem to be a separate thread on the 180 yet, so I thought I would ask here.

BK
post #133 of 3607 Old 09-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trb75252 View Post

The 707 remote has a programmable button labeled "My TV". You can program it to turn on just about anything in your setup. It just tried it out on my wife today, and even she could use it. There is another programmable button labeled "All Off". Guess what you can program on that button...

I turned on the "HDMI Control" (aka CEC, Consumer Electronics Control) feature on my 707 hooked to a Samsung 650 TV. It didn't work all that well and just got in the way, so I turned it off.

My only complaint about the 707 remote is that it doesn't have back-light on the buttons. Otherwise, it seems to be logically laid out and easy to use. I found that the pause button for my Samsung blu-ray didn't work, but it was easy enough for the 707 remote to learn the command from the blu-ray remote. Nice.

Thanks for the info - good to know. In the 807 thread there was some talk of HDMI video and audio pass-through in standby mode, but only if certain settings were enabled in the HDMI setup, and even then there was apparently some disagreement. Hoping the 707 or 180 has this capability.

BK
post #134 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:

I've seen comments that the 507 and 607 run crazy hot, but the 707 does not share this trait and is only "warm" to the touch.

Anyone know how the ht-rc180 compares with respect to temperature? Does not seem to be a separate thread on the 180 yet, so I thought I would ask here.

BK

I have not seen anything on the 180 yet either. I ordered one...being shipped on a slow boat..I will find out first hand in a week or so.
post #135 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trb75252 View Post

Please elaborate on "It didn't work all that well". What is the full Samsung model number. I tried a Denon 890 with my Samsung 63B550. The control didn't work very well either. My brother-in-law purchased an Onkyo 507 and the HDMI control worked beautifully with his Samsung LCD TV (55B6000).

Thanks.
post #136 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 AM

I was wondering if any owner of the 707 have experienced any incompatibilities with the Apple TV and/or HDMI handshake problems?
post #137 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstea View Post

I have not seen anything on the 180 yet either. I ordered one...being shipped on a slow boat..I will find out first hand in a week or so.

how much did u pay for it and from where did u order it?
post #138 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

BK

It sounds to me like you'd be better off simply getting a Harmony remote (the Harmony 880 can be found for a pittance nowadays), which would make navigating your home theater setup infinitely easier for your family (and you) than HDMI pass-through ever would.
post #139 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM

+1

The Harmony remote does just that... brings harmony to the household. I would say that it handily boosts the WAF of any new AV component you buy. While it was much more important in my pre-"all HDMI" days (by switching TV inputs), it is still a very necessary accessory. Just like the DVR, my wife will tell you that she could not imagine living without it.

post #140 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 01:21 PM

Although my receiver is an upgrade (TX SR573 to TX SR707), the included remote is a significant downgrade. I have the following questions and hoped someone had crossed these bridges:

1) When the receiver is on, and for example I change inputs from CBL/SAT to GAME, the remote stays in this mode. When I then want to turn the receiver off, the standby button no longer functions as the remote is set in GAME mode. Not a big deal, just one extra button push late at night to get it to Receiver mode. However, my wife has left the receiver on multiple times as she said the standby button was not working. Is there a way around this additional button press to turn the receiver off? With my older Onkyo remote, the On/Standby buttons overrode anything else on the remote. I feel the answer might be the 'All Off' button.

2) How on the earth do you make this one work with a DirecTV HD DVR (model HR21-700). I tired every code and am not looking forward to manually programming this.

One good thing about this remote is the range/angle. I tried the 607 for a while, but probably due to my receiver position and right IR position on the 607, it was a nightmare and one of the reasons for my return. The 707 with its left IR position on the receiver works significantly better (I mean 20ft further across the room that the 607 remote).
post #141 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanSoulPatch View Post

+1

The Harmony remote does just that... brings harmony to the household. I would say that it handily boosts the WAF of any new AV component you buy. While it was much more important in my pre-"all HDMI" days (by switching TV inputs), it is still a very necessary accessory. Just like the DVR, my wife will tell you that she could not imagine living without it.

I had not even considered the Harmony approach - excellent suggestion!

Another reason for the standby HDMI pass-through question was one of heat accumulation and energy savings...in other words keeping the AVR "off" for routine TV.

BK
post #142 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post

Although my receiver is an upgrade (TX SR573 to TX SR707), the included remote is a significant downgrade. I have the following questions and hoped someone had crossed these bridges:

1) When the receiver is on, and for example I change inputs from CBL/SAT to GAME, the remote stays in this mode. When I then want to turn the receiver off, the standby button no longer functions as the remote is set in GAME mode. Not a big deal, just one extra button push late at night to get it to Receiver mode. However, my wife has left the receiver on multiple times as she said the standby button was not working. Is there a way around this additional button press to turn the receiver off? With my older Onkyo remote, the On/Standby buttons overrode anything else on the remote. I feel the answer might be the 'All Off' button.

2) How on the earth do you make this one work with a DirecTV HD DVR (model HR21-700). I tired every code and am not looking forward to manually programming this.

One good thing about this remote is the range/angle. I tried the 607 for a while, but probably due to my receiver position and right IR position on the 607, it was a nightmare and one of the reasons for my return. The 707 with its left IR position on the receiver works significantly better (I mean 20ft further across the room that the 607 remote).

I refer you to my response to bk_856er. Even otherwise excellent receivers are usually equipped with awfully designed, cheaply made remotes that are barely functional, especially when used as a universal. Save yourself a great deal of aggravation and buy a decent universal remote (Harmony or otherwise -- no, I do not work for Logitech). The pack-in remote is best stowed in a drawer as quickly as possible, never to emerge.
post #143 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:

One good thing about this [707] remote is the range/angle. I tried the 607 for a while, but probably due to my receiver position and right IR position on the 607, it was a nightmare and one of the reasons for my return. The 707 with its left IR position on the receiver works significantly better (I mean 20ft further across the room that the 607 remote).

You reminded me about another bonus of the Harmony... it has good IR spread. As you pointed out, most remote "issues" are actually component issues in terms of how wide of an angle they can see. My Harmony 620 (I believe, it was the Costco special from last Fall) appears to widen the angle that my components see with the stock remotes. With it, I can hit my 607 from about 35 ft away at a 45º angle (my best guesstimates, mind you), with the remote pointed 90º to the AVR. I can hit my Dish ViP 722 from further at even a wider angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

The pack-in remote is best stowed in a drawer as quickly as possible, never to emerge.

In fact, the only reason I used the 607 remote was to IR capture the buttons that the Harmony software did not have loaded yet (since getting it, the Harmony has updated the 607 profile).

And battery usage... don't get me started! The 620 uses AAAs, so I loaded it with Eneloops and threw the included ones in the fridge for my mini-Maglite. I have only had to charge the batteries twice since I got it (I run it till it dies), and this last time (this weekend) I decided to hit the condition button on the charger to fully deplete them. The charger did not even have the chance to go to deplete mode, the light stuttered a bit and then it went right to charging. This is a big plus to me, since I hate devices that don't eek out every drop of juice from the batts before you have to recharge them.

The only downside to the Harmony remote is that the DVR buttons, incl. the D-pad, are a little on the small side and a little too close together (for my big ol' thumbs). I realize that they had to cram a lot into a little space, and fortunately I haven't had many errant buttons presses, but the layout of the included Dish remote is way easier on the hand when it comes to the DVR controls and it's entirely separate D-pad.

Oh, and I don't work for Logitech, either.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

post #144 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 06:22 PM

i dont know where you guys got this price but egghead is still selling the 707 at 749. .. they link you guys have posted is strange and is not taking you to egghead,, hold your cursor over the link and you will see where it is really taking you,, ,, never click on links,,
post #145 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 06:27 PM

Liked: 12
I'm considering purchasing this but have a question. I'm currently using the DVDO Edge for my upconverion & wondering how the 707s' chip compares. Should I just send audio to the 707 or will it passthrough the video over HDMI input-output.

Guess I missed the boat on the price drops at Newegg & ABT, they're both listing 707 @ $800
post #146 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 06:53 PM

The price is $649 at newegg.com
post #147 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 06:55 PM

I stand corrected. They had lowered the price on Friday to $649, and I see they have now raised it back to $794. Must have been a Labor Day weekend tease sale.
post #148 of 3607 Old 09-08-2009, 07:32 PM

Well the 707 remote (RC-742M) has just burst into life for me! I got it working with my DirecTV HR21-700 (for reference code was 01377). My mistake was likely the Satellite receiver being in RF mode vs. IR.

I have 4 remotes in my draw. The Onkyo has just displaced them all. It had to learn two functions (skip 30 seconds and list), which took all of 1 minute. Now, the one button macros work like a charm, and I have full functionality with one remote!

Next item to solve is the slight blur/lag that seems to follow my 707 image on passthrough mode during sports and to re-configure Audyssey; my sub seems unbalanced and configured at -12 (more than 4db off from any other speaker).

Absolutely loving this receiver!
post #149 of 3607 Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and to re-configure Audyssey; my sub seems unbalanced and configured at -12 (more than 4db off from any other speaker).

Absolutely loving this receiver!

Turn the volume knob down more before re-running Audyssey set up. It should have been between 1/3 and 1/2.
post #150 of 3607 Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

how much did u pay for it and from where did u order it?

I can't speak for the poster you're replying to... but www.tigerdirect.com has it for $800. Go through www.bing.com to get 15% cashback, which makes your net $680 (it takes up to 60 days to get the cashback credit in to your pocket).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page