Thanks for the quick reply lynx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 3607 Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just unboxed my new 707, set everything up, all is working and looking well, except for one thing....the receiver itself buzzes. Sounds like it's coming from the front panel area.

It's not loud or obvious unless the room is quiet, then you can hear it softly humming/buzzing in the background. I've changed outlets, locations, unplugged stuff, doesn't affect the quantity or quality of the buzz.

Does anyone else hear a buzz from theirs? Maybe I'm being too picky in my older age, though the 601 I'm replacing was dead silent.

Thanks!!!
post #1893 of 3607 Old 01-17-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by avjohn View Post

Just unboxed my new 707, set everything up, all is working and looking well, except for one thing....the receiver itself buzzes. Sounds like it's coming from the front panel area.

It's not loud or obvious unless the room is quiet, then you can hear it softly humming/buzzing in the background. I've changed outlets, locations, unplugged stuff, doesn't affect the quantity or quality of the buzz.

Does anyone else hear a buzz from theirs? Maybe I'm being too picky in my older age, though the 601 I'm replacing was dead silent.

Thanks!!!

it does have a fan in it

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1894 of 3607 Old 01-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks!!!

Mine is absolutely silent even when watching movie or playing video games for 6 or 7 hours straight...i've never heard the fan ever.
post #1895 of 3607 Old 01-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks!!!

I do hear a buzz ( hum ) ? from the power supply if I put my ear right up against the receiver. Otherwise, I do not hear it ( even in a quiet room ) and has not been a factor. I have experienced this with many receivers
post #1896 of 3607 Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 AM

I have my cable box into hdmi 1 dvd into hdmi 2, and apple tv into hdmi 3. I can't get the setup screen to display on screen when I have hdmi 1 selected. It works fine with hdmi 2 and 3. Why would that happen?

Brian
post #1897 of 3607 Old 01-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, great thread this is!
Tomorrow I will receive my 607!
607? am I in the wrong thread?

No, because after reading most of the posts here I decided to spend some more to get the 707. I will send it back as soon as it arrives.
My panasonic plasma only supports up to 1080i but in a future upgrade I want to go to 1080p.
The sources I use are an ASrock with XBMC (Best Mediaplayer currently in the world imho), a dreambox 7000s sat. receiver and a Samsung HD Cable decoder.

My good old Pioneer vsx-d1011 has a power supply issue and looses its settings too often.

Thank you all for contributing to this great thread, I'm sure I will come back here as soon as I begin the setup of the 707.

One question allready:
Will the SD signal from the Sat decoder look much better when upscaled to 1080p? (o.k. my tv will downscale again to 1080i).
post #1898 of 3607 Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsense View Post

One question allready:
Will the SD signal from the Sat decoder look much better when upscaled to 1080p? (o.k. my tv will downscale again to 1080i).

Yes ! way better .......................

Mike

post #1899 of 3607 Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 AM

Just assembled my new system with the Onkyo 707, Polk Monitor 70s, Polk CS2 Center, 4 Polk surrounds, and a sub.

This 707 beast has posts for 11.2 hookups, though of course only 7 of them are powered. With 11 banks I'm baffled why they chose to connect the three most common upgrades (bi-amp, zone 2, rear surround) all on the same bank and make you choose only one while front high and wide are sitting there unused? I upgraded from a 605 (also double checked the 607) and it allows wiring both rear surrounds and zone 2 at the same time. When you turned on zone 2 your 7.1 drops to 5.1, but you didn't have to change wires. I spent major $$ upgrading to the 707 and I don't have the same wiring flexibility as the 605/607? I guess I should have double checked this first, but I never expected to lose options when going up a model. Why wouldn't they spread those out over a few of the other connections and give you more flexibility?

I guess I'll either have to add an amp for the unpowered zone 2 outs or sell the 707 and get a 607 to listen to my patio speakers now...
post #1900 of 3607 Old 01-18-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Yes ! way better .......................

Okay than, so the Video Processing chip is that much better than 607?
Choice is made for the 707

I've also read that the 707 can get pretty warm, I'm planning to place the 707 in a semi-closed cabinet.
Only the sides + top are closed (about 4 inches free space at the top, 2 inches at the sides) the back and front are open. The bottom half open. Would this be enough?
post #1901 of 3607 Old 01-18-2010, 02:56 PM

I'm getting a new receiver in a week. I'm trying to decide between the 607 and the 707. Can someone help me decide? Is there a major difference in audio quality? I currently have a Sony HTIB setup, but I replaced the fronts and center with a nice Polk Audio setup. I would eventually like to upgrade to a 7.1 setup, but first I want to upgrade my receiver and then my subwoofer.

Which receiver should I buy? I have a PS3 (not slim), HD cable box, Wii, HTPC (on board audio)...
post #1902 of 3607 Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbjectEvolution View Post

I'm getting a new receiver in a week. I'm trying to decide between the 607 and the 707. Can someone help me decide? Is there a major difference in audio quality? I currently have a Sony HTIB setup, but I replaced the fronts and center with a nice Polk Audio setup. I would eventually like to upgrade to a 7.1 setup, but first I want to upgrade my receiver and then my subwoofer.

Which receiver should I buy? I have a PS3 (not slim), HD cable box, Wii, HTPC (on board audio)...

Had the same problem as you, but after reading these posts here I made op my mind. One of the "best" reasons to go for the 707 for me was this:
I don't want to wonder evertime "What if I had the 707".

The video upscaling is way better, sound quality is more or less the same BUT the 707 has a more advanced Audyssey system. So chances are that the 707 will sound better because of a better calibration. That and the additional input (Phono, S-video) are for me reasons to go for the 707.
I don't believe that the THX certification makes this AVR much better...

And if you go for a new sub, I can only advice to buy an SVS subwoofer. I had mine send to the Neterlands (from the US) 7 years ago. And I never heard a better subwoofer. Read the reviews on SVS products! Soon I want to order a 7.0 speaker set from SVS (Now I'm using JBL LX Series)
post #1903 of 3607 Old 01-19-2010, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

SVS sub's are the way to go !!!!!!!!!!!
best sub's out there & a great bang for buck on top of that..I have 2 of these

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...099342&page=16

Mike

post #1904 of 3607 Old 01-19-2010, 01:04 PM

It was my understanding that Audyssey wouldn't change the crossover freq one has set prior to running the set-up...would just test each speaker for low threshold. However, before I ran Audyssey I had everything set to 80hz, after it's all set to 40hz. What the....?
post #1905 of 3607 Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoon79 View Post

It was my understanding that Audyssey wouldn't change the crossover freq one has set prior to running the set-up...would just test each speaker for low threshold. However, before I ran Audyssey I had everything set to 80hz, after it's all set to 40hz. What the....?

It does and evidently your speakers will produce frequencies down to 40hz.
post #1906 of 3607 Old 01-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Learn something new every day...now I'm wondering if I should have just left them at 40...my understanding (which apparently is fairly flawed) is that letting the sub handle everything below 80 will give a bit more head room, little easier on the amps. Looks like the only way to really tell is a head to head comparison...let the movies begin!! I'm going to need some time off....
post #1907 of 3607 Old 01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
For movies, I actually prefer a bit of separation between the sub and midrange. I know everyone wants to have the entire frequency range equally represented, but I actually enjoy hearing the upper mids and highs pop out of the sound, while the low rumble of the sub carries the lower end. The fact that I miss out on some frequencies between 80 and 100 doesn't bother me at all. I think those frequencies just tend to muddy the waters anyways.

Music? Well, that's another story entirely.

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243820

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #1908 of 3607 Old 01-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_V View Post

For movies, I actually prefer a bit of separation between the sub and midrange. I know everyone wants to have the entire frequency range equally represented, but I actually enjoy hearing the upper mids and highs pop out of the sound, while the low rumble of the sub carries the lower end. The fact that I miss out on some frequencies between 80 and 100 doesn't bother me at all. I think those frequencies just tend to muddy the waters anyways.

Music? Well, that's another story entirely.

And that's why they make these devices infinitely adjustable.
post #1909 of 3607 Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 AM

I finally purchased the 707, replacing a 7 year old Denon, I have a DirecTV box and I'm definitely getting the dreaded "clicking", I'va tried every setting suggested on this forum and it still happens when transitioning from commercials back to a DD program, I've been reduced to turning DD off at the DirecTV box for shows that transition frequently, frustrating. One other quirk, every time I shut the receiver off and then on again later my SUB is turned all the way up and the center channel all the way down, I set everything and it still changes it back at the next on/off cycle. The video side of this receiver is great, but I'm getting a little frustrated with the quirkiness of the receiver as a whole.
post #1910 of 3607 Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you changing the speaker setting from the remote audio button or in the setup menu. Changes in the setup menu stick, but changes from the remote are only until the 707 is shut off.
Also the Listening Mode Presets have 2 pages of modes for each input so make sure you set them all and for the input your cable/sat is connected to.
post #1911 of 3607 Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Are you changing the speaker setting from the remote audio button or in the setup menu. Changes in the setup menu stick, but changes from the remote are only until the 707 is shut off.
Also the Listening Mode Presets have 2 pages of modes for each input so make sure you set them all and for the input your cable/sat is connected to.

Good info! But I was wondering...
I use an Asrock ion 330 + xbmc as a HTPC (wich rulez btw...)
On which I listen to music and watch movies.
Two seperate modes, but unly "one" input.
Is that also adjustible?
Or should I connect HDMI + Toslink to get two different sources to switch to with the remote?
post #1912 of 3607 Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenahood View Post

I finally purchased the 707, replacing a 7 year old Denon, I have a DirecTV box and I'm definitely getting the dreaded "clicking", I'va tried every setting suggested on this forum and it still happens when transitioning from commercials back to a DD program, I've been reduced to turning DD off at the DirecTV box for shows that transition frequently, frustrating. One other quirk, every time I shut the receiver off and then on again later my SUB is turned all the way up and the center channel all the way down, I set everything and it still changes it back at the next on/off cycle. The video side of this receiver is great, but I'm getting a little frustrated with the quirkiness of the receiver as a whole.

A Denon 1910 sounds pretty good right about now.
post #1913 of 3607 Old 01-22-2010, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

reset everything to default , start over .......don't leave any to "last valid" on the out setting for each device i run 2 D*TV's boxes on 707 & 807's both threads have ppl having the clicking ...............it's in the setting
it took me awhile to get mine right . but it did take a reset to return everything to default , set-up the setting,Check for clicks & lastly run the audssey Check for clicks agin ..if clicking agin repeat till you find the setting that works above THEN fine tune to your taste ...

Mike

post #1914 of 3607 Old 01-22-2010, 05:50 AM

Wow, thanks guys, I will dig back in on the settings when I get a solid hour to spend on it again, I do think everything can be resolved and that this a good receiver.
post #1915 of 3607 Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

reset everything to default , start over .......don't leave any to "last valid" on the out setting for each device i run 2 D*TV's boxes on 707 & 807's both threads have ppl having the clicking ...............it's in the setting
it took me awhile to get mine right . but it did take a reset to return everything to default , set-up the setting,Check for clicks & lastly run the audssey Check for clicks agin ..if clicking agin repeat till you find the setting that works above THEN fine tune to your taste ...

What settings do you suggest changing everything to from Last Valid?

Thanks
post #1916 of 3607 Old 01-22-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the trick is to use listening modes that use all of your speakers so you don't get speaker relays clicking on and off. Some are obvious like setting DD to DD, DTS to DTS, etc. It is the 2 channel and mono streams that need some work so that all speakers are used when it goes to commercial. And the settings need not be the same for all inputs. Your DVD input might set any 2 channel or mono to PL II Music with the assumption you are playing an audio CD, but your CBL/SAT input would use something like PLII Movie or Theater Dimensional or All Speaker Stereo.
post #1917 of 3607 Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolces View Post

What settings do you suggest changing everything to from Last Valid?

Thanks

I really don't remember but I think it was THX theater DTS.. I say that as now it shows last valid , as that is what it does after the 1st setup is use last valid .. I know this sounds confusing...
but you have to get the setting right @ 1st & from that point it uses that setting as last valid ..
i now can toggle with the remote to any setting at any time but each time i start the A/V it will go back the very 1st setting ........ which shows on the display as THX theater & wa-la No Clicking ...

I know this works as it works on both my 807 & 707 yhe same way

soo it's how u set-up the settings in listing modes under cab/sat the very 1st time
Now if u have tinkered with settings the only way back to clearing the que is a defaut reset

best i can explain it !
i would go & reset to default with my A/V's to help with this problem everyone is having but Nope I don't mess with EQuipment that is working correctly Sorry
I got mine working soo I am not gonna touch it as this setup blows me away watching Direct TV in 5.2 on both systems .........
some of the New shows this season have a Killer 5.1 sound track & it comes across on D*TV awesome !
"Burn Notice" last was dropdead great sound as I was getting action sounds ,vocals from all across the room !
It was a WoW factor moment as last season the sound mix was never that GooD ! the new programs are finally using 5.1 to max on some of the better shows" NCIS "comes to mind as well as" CSI Miami" as another . get no click @ all !

Mike

post #1918 of 3607 Old 01-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Running this up the pole one more time for someone who has some experience. Still haven't found a definitive answer.

I've had my 707 for a few weeks and it does great with movies and cable via HDMI. DVDs/Blu-ray good via HDMI. I've spent a good bit of time reading and experimenting. For the most part, I feel like I have a handle on it.

What's not right is playing of CDs.

I am using the 707 pre- outs to a couple amps.
I have front speakers set up full range.
I've tried assorted modes but all are anemic with the CD player. I have a decent CD player - Jolida - and I thought direct or pure audio modes would be good but it just seems like there is no power there; the speakers are not being driven and are missing low end. Turning up the volume has little effect.

The headphone jack is putting out; sounds good with CDs.

I've tried both the component audio in and coax digital from the CD player. I figured I wanted to use the DAC in the Jolida, so I was expecting component to work.

Just don't see what I am missing. If the CD player was having an issue, don't see why headphone jack would put out full spectrum sound.

Anything y'all can think of to check? I guess I will test hooking the front LR directly to the amp but since PSW and DVDs seem to be utilizing the pre- outs well... just don't get it.

This thing should be kickin' with redbook.

I understand pre-outs are 1V. Amps are 60.4kΩ in, sensitivity 2.1V. Is that the problem, simple mismatch? Solution?
post #1919 of 3607 Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzing View Post

I've had my 707 for a few weeks and it does great with movies and cable via HDMI. DVDs/Blu-ray good via HDMI.

What's not right is playing of CDs.
Solution?

Hell my CD's play Blastin with my Blu-Ray player
They Never sounded THIS good!! with the Blu-Ray player !

Mike

post #1920 of 3607 Old 01-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Don't dread the clicking. It is an indicator that the receiver is functioning as it should be.
I don't have a problem with the occasional click of a relay being activated when the audio goes from DolbyD to stereo and back. I prefer to hear the audio in its original unprocessed format as opposed to the magically processed multi channel alternative that would eliminate the clicking.
The crazy volume defaulting you are experiencing would drive me nuts though. Unfortunately I have nothing to offer in the way of an explanation. Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr707 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page