Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 3605 Old 01-26-2010, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsense View Post

Got my 707 yesterday, so today I took a day off ;-)
Allmost everything is fine, there is one problem I can't seem to solve.

I use a Dreambox 7000s sat receiver, connected with component to the Onkyo 707.
Before de Dreambox was directly connected to the TV (Panasonic Plasma).
When cycling through the channels, with some channels the Onkyo switches to 4:3 (an not 16:9) which results in a partly image. (or a "boxed" image)
Tried every setting on my TV and Dreambox. Is there a setting on the Onkyo to avoid resizing to 4:3?
Or should I go back to connecting the dreambox directly to the TV?

Try changing settings found on pg 90-91 of the manual:

Picture adjust > 'zoom mode' settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 3605 Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylomnstr View Post

I just hooked my new 707 up last night. Wow do I have a lot to learn! I have cable, and the HDMI goes through the receiver. The receiver needs to be on in order for me to watch anything. Is there anyway to keep the receiver off and still watch tv as a pass through?

unless I missed it this never got a reply... I'd like to know as I'm gonna be ordering a 707 in about 2 weeks.
post #1953 of 3605 Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post

Try changing settings found on pg 90-91 of the manual:

Picture adjust > 'zoom mode' settings

Also tried this, with this option I can get full screen on some channels (with a bit of overscan). But as soon as I change to a Native 16:9 channel the image is all f*cked up. My panasonic plasma does a good job making every channel fullscreen without overscan. So the sat receiver is directly connected to the TV now.
post #1954 of 3605 Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerthyme View Post

Just use the DIM function. It steps through brightness levels for the display and the first step turns off the volume led.

Great! Thank you.
Feeling a bit stupid I haven't seen this option
post #1955 of 3605 Old 01-27-2010, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to reset this receiver to factory defaults? I cannot find it in the manual. Thanks in advance
post #1956 of 3605 Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post

Does anyone know how to reset this receiver to factory defaults? I cannot find it in the manual. Thanks in advance

Top left of pg 121 in the manual.
post #1957 of 3605 Old 01-27-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylomnstr
I just hooked my new 707 up last night. Wow do I have a lot to learn! I have cable, and the HDMI goes through the receiver. The receiver needs to be on in order for me to watch anything. Is there anyway to keep the receiver off and still watch tv as a pass through?

Billison/ylomnstr,

At various points in this thread this question has been asked and never answered to my satisfaction....

It's very frustrating to me b/c sometimes my 707 passes through the TV signal when it's off, and sometimes it doesn't. So far I've tried turning the receiver on, switching it to CBL/SAT, and then turning it off again - and this seems to allow the TV signal to go through. But this is a huge pain and definitely not family-friendly. A couple of times recently I have also wondered whether this is the definitive solution b/c I had the 707 input on CD, but the TV signal was still flowing through to the TV.

To the best of my memory (i'm not at home right now), in my settings I have the TV Control set to ON in the HARDWARE SETUP --> HDMI menu - and I think I read on this thread that this allows for pass-thru of the TV signal.

Someone please chime in if you know more, or correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty frustrated by this.
post #1958 of 3605 Old 01-27-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylomnstr

Billison/ylomnstr,

At various points in this thread this question has been asked and never answered to my satisfaction....

It's very frustrating to me b/c sometimes my 707 passes through the TV signal when it's off, and sometimes it doesn't. So far I've tried turning the receiver on, switching it to CBL/SAT, and then turning it off again - and this seems to allow the TV signal to go through. But this is a huge pain and definitely not family-friendly. A couple of times recently I have also wondered whether this is the definitive solution b/c I had the 707 input on CD, but the TV signal was still flowing through to the TV.

To the best of my memory (i'm not at home right now), in my settings I have the TV Control set to ON in the HARDWARE SETUP --> HDMI menu - and I think I read on this thread that this allows for pass-thru of the TV signal.

Someone please chime in if you know more, or correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty frustrated by this.

This is something I'd really like to know about.. I don't think it's a deal breaker but I don't want to have to use it every time I play a game or watch tv.. I don't want it on all day everyday...

A second question.. can you change the names of the inputs? i have a few gaming consoles and i'd like to hame them ps3 and xbox and stuff like that...
post #1959 of 3605 Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billison View Post

This is something I'd really like to know about.. I don't think it's a deal breaker but I don't want to have to use it every time I play a game or watch tv.. I don't want it on all day everyday...

A second question.. can you change the names of the inputs? i have a few gaming consoles and i'd like to hame them ps3 and xbox and stuff like that...

scratch my second question.. I found out that Yes the input name can be changed..
post #1960 of 3605 Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billison View Post

scratch my second question.. I found out that Yes the input name can be changed..

Good timing. Just this morning I changed a couple of my input names to Wii, Mac, etc. But FWIW, you're limited to about 10 characters in length.
post #1961 of 3605 Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak23 View Post

Good timing. Just this morning I changed a couple of my input names to Wii, Mac, etc. But FWIW, you're limited to about 10 characters in length.

Can you briefly explain how to change it?

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #1962 of 3605 Old 01-28-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenahood View Post

Finally, this worked for me, no clicking, it was just about the only thing I didn't try, thanks for the help. I'm enjoying this receiver waaaaayyyy more now. Other question: is there a way to adjust the speaker levels (main, rear) during playback without sending the test tone? In reference to : DirecTV HR2X Owners.

Stephenahood, What setting change did you make to address this issue?
post #1963 of 3605 Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

Can you briefly explain how to change it?

Pretty easy. Hit the Source you want to change the name of: "CD", "CABL/SAT", etc.

Hit the "SETUP" button to go to your onscreen Setup Menu.

Select #4 "Source Setup" --> #3 "Name Edit". Then you simply enter the characters and then "Enter" to save the name.

This is all on pages 88-89 of the manual.
post #1964 of 3605 Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolces View Post

Stephenahood, What setting change did you make to address this issue?

Read back a few posts:

"Since this seems to keep coming up and the info on here is slightly off. Yes, set all of your other input types so that they utilize all of the channels, but do not set DD to DD. Please set DD to something like TV Logic."

I have FIOS and used to have the clicking issue as well. Setting Dolby Digital in the "Listening Mode Preset" menu to TV Logic for the CABL/SAT input solved the clicking issue for me too.
post #1965 of 3605 Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 AM

Would you guys recommend going with the SR607 or SR707 for a 5.1 setup? I'll be using an external amp to power my speakers and will only have 3 devices connected to it, PS3 (HDMI), Cable Box (HDMI), and Wii (component). I'll save $200 with the 607, so is it worth it to bump up to the 707? Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, just overlooked that the 607 doesn't have pre-outs....
post #1966 of 3605 Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 PM

That and the 607 doesn't have burr brown dacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam254 View Post

Would you guys recommend going with the SR607 or SR707 for a 5.1 setup? I'll be using an external amp to power my speakers and will only have 3 devices connected to it, PS3 (HDMI), Cable Box (HDMI), and Wii (component). I'll save $200 with the 607, so is it worth it to bump up to the 707? Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, just overlooked that the 607 doesn't have pre-outs....

post #1967 of 3605 Old 01-31-2010, 05:51 AM

Hi,

I currently have a Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver that I bought back in 2002 if I remember. Now looking to upgrade, the Onkyo TX-SR707 looks really interesting. Would it be a decent uprgrade to get HDMI support and all.

Thanks !
post #1968 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Alot of people with this receiver when feeding it 1080/24p were getting video frame skips including myself. I came on this site about a week ago and with the help of a few people with the issue and going over what has been tried and reading previous posts particularly from pg18-24 it obviously was a problem. Here's the total fix. First make sure the monitor resolution is set to Through. Second make sure if you are running 24p picture you set it to Video. 3:2, 2:2 and Auto which decides between those two pull downs are not to be chosen. Video is default for a reason it uses no pull down process. Lastly and most important even though the receiver is HDMI pass through the video processor is still on it's so the pull down process would work I guess and it also produces the on screen display for volume and other info that displays on screen this needs to be off. It is even suggested briefly but badly explained on pg26 by THX. It should always be off which means no upconversion. To shut it off you press on the receiver directly VCR/DVR and Return together and quickly at the same time you'll then see the words VIDEO PROCESSOR: USE, come on the screen while continuing to hold the VCR/DVR button press the Return button again. This will shut it off, you will now see VIDEO PROCESSOR: SKIP. You should now have lag and studder free video. For some reason people are saying when they shut the receiver off it resets to being back in USE mode. I don't have that issue my firmware must be very new and has taken care of the problem I have FW1.14.
When you look at the problem it was very obvious of course the video processor has to be off it's adding unnatural enhanements and preventing the image from going through clean, but it's Onkyo's fault for not knowing this would create the issue but not explaining it more thoroughly in the manual and pushing it off as a side note. I hope any one experiencing this issue can be at ease now because I sure am.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #1969 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 AM

Major BIG time!
Your ears will say thankyou! (once you've set it all up)

Go for it - one of the best years and onkyo series to upgrade to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Frank View Post

Hi,

I currently have a Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver that I bought back in 2002 if I remember. Now looking to upgrade, the Onkyo TX-SR707 looks really interesting. Would it be a decent uprgrade to get HDMI support and all.

Thanks !

post #1970 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 05:33 AM

Fantastic Semp.

...and they say you can't trust people and the info on the forums....
Oh wait thats what they manufacturers want you to believe...

Great find and good old fashioned straight thinking.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

Alot of people with this receiver when feeding it 1080/24p were getting video frame skips including myself. I came on this site about a week ago and with the help of a few people with the issue and going over what has been tried and reading previous posts particularly from pg18-24 it obviously was a problem. Here's the total fix. First make sure the monitor resolution is set to Through. Second make sure if you are running 24p picture you set it to Video. 3:2, 2:2 and Auto which decides between those two pull downs are not to be chosen. Video is default for a reason it uses no pull down process. Lastly and most important even though the receiver is HDMI pass through the video processor is still on it's so the pull down process would work I guess and it also produces the on screen display for volume and other info that displays on screen this needs to be off. It is even suggested briefly but badly explained on pg26 by THX. It should always be off which means no upconversion. To shut it off you press on the receiver directly VCR/DVR and Return together and quickly at the same time you'll then see the words VIDEO PROCESSOR: USE, come on the screen while continuing to hold the VCR/DVR button press the Return button again. This will shut it off, you will now see VIDEO PROCESSOR: SKIP. You should now have lag and studder free video. For some reason people are saying when they shut the receiver off it resets to being back in USE mode. I don't have that issue my firmware must be very new and has taken care of the problem I have FW1.14.
When you look at the problem it was very obvious of course the video processor has to be off it's adding unnatural enhanements and preventing the image from going through clean, but it's Onkyo's fault for not knowing this would create the issue but not explaining it more thoroughly in the manual and pushing it off as a side note. I hope any one experiencing this issue can be at ease now because I sure am.

post #1971 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrix View Post

Fantastic Semp.

...and they say you can't trust people and the info on the forums....
Oh wait thats what they manufacturers want you to believe...

Great find and good old fashioned straight thinking.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

Unfortunately I do not think Semp1 has come up with much of a fix for two reasons: (1) I tried this same procedure as outlined in the manual back in December and still noticed the skip. I believe Johan81 has tried this fix as well to no avail. In fairness though, both myself and Johan81 are using an earlier firmware (I think it is 1.05 or 1.09 instead of 1.14) so this might have something to do with it.

However, (2) even if Semp1's solution works, it should only be viewed as a field expedient solution because the bottom line is that this receiver is manipulating 1080p24 material in some manner as to cause occasional frame skips. You shouldn't have to shut off every function in the world on the 707 to keep it from introducing these skips. And since the 707 isn't causing this problem for other video resolutions, this is indicative that there is some sort of bug in the receiver that needs to be addressed.

FYI - I am still waiting on my 707 to return from the service department.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #1972 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Yes but if you read Johans previous messages I don't think he realized the video processor was back on once turning the system off then on until he checked which would explain why others with lower firmwares are saying it doesn't work, but when shutting the receiver was the video processor still off. On top of that I don't really feel if this was a fix that this means it's a bug that it needs to be set to off. The reason I say this is because if a video processor is on no matter what or how good there's is going to be hiccups. The Onkyo provides HDMI to HDMI upconversion it seems I do not want this I want HDMI pass through which by shutting it off is what you are doing. Me personally I have no problem with shutting off the processor and putting it on if I need to upconvert an analog source thing is I have nothing but my Wii connected to anything that's less then 1080p so no upconversion is necessary and I don't like the wii connected to the receiver with it's fake PLII surround sound any way. My whole thing is it seemed from reading previous posts people didn't know the video processor turned back on until they checked or were told and realized. Although drvais seemed to have known so maybe this is truly a defect. I have to watch a movie or two to see if this fixed the issue. It shouldn't take more then 30 mins into a movie to prove other wise.

post #1973 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06Frank View Post

Hi,

Thanks !

I think you would be suitably impressed if you were to upgrade. There have been several advances in the last 8 years. I am more than pleased with this receiver and what it can do.
post #1974 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Well it seems as I thought it fixed the issue. I watched a 2 hour film which had many panning scenes and highly intense fast action scenes which is what promotes the frame skip most. I also tested it on a scene from
Gladiator that produced the issue. My results were not only skip/lag/judder free but image quality was noticably adjusted. In certain scenes that once had jaggies those jaggies did not exist any more. I strongly suggest for all to shut Video Processor off. It improves everything vastly. Again I'll keep an eye on it but it seems this does fix the problem at least with my firmware version which might mean something or might not.

post #1975 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone using the 707 as a preamp with external power amps??
I was considering something like the 707 with the Emotiva XPA-3 to power the fronts and center and use the internal amps for the surrounds.

thanks
post #1976 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattldm View Post

I was considering something like the 707 with the Emotiva XPA-3 to power the fronts and center and use the internal amps for the surrounds.

thanks

You will really appreciate the extra power if you are into detail and dynamics.
I had the receiver for about a week and then came to the conclusion that I needed the XPA-3 to complete the package.
I look at the 707 as being a good signal processor with a bonus 2 channel amp built in.
post #1977 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

thanks

I actually like that idea a lot!

200 W/ch would add some nice punch to the front soundstage.

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243820

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #1978 of 3605 Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 PM

I know that I'm still learning more and more about the SR707, and I just ballanced my 3.0 Polk system for the first time and what a difference it made. I actually have a 5.0 (Monitor 60's, CS2, and 30's in the back), but I need to pick up some stands for the back. I'll pick up a sub after my refund check.

I'm having fun just the same!

I know I've probably missed some swithch that needs to be toggled, but why is it when I press "all off" on my Onkyo remote, my tv doesn't turn off? Everything else does. When I choose the tv on the remote I can turn it off and on with the remote so I know it has the right code for my tv.

seeburt
post #1979 of 3605 Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Look in the manual and teach it macro commands

post #1980 of 3605 Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:

thanks

Hey whats up. I have an XPA-3 with my older Yamaha receiver and it is awesome. But recently I upgraded to the 707 and after 10 days I sent the 707 back cause I couldnt get rid of a nasty ground loop hum. I tried everything and could not get the hum to go away. I finally read in a couple places that a bunch of people were having the same problem, some people sent it back and some people lived with hum. I duno, work looking into before you order, or at least have the option to send it back if you do order it. Oh and the XPA-3 is definitly worth it...its awesome!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page