Official Onkyo TX-SR707 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EAS, I would say "heck yeah!" you did the right thing. Esp. since Newegg is a fairly decent company, you won't have to worry about them not honoring the exchange policy, or making it difficult for you.

And I think your +'s outweight you -'s on this one, so congrats on a great score!

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can the 707 play digital sources in Zone 2. I have an older 2 zone onkyo, and I cannot play a digital source in the second zone. This is a pain now that most of my sources are digital. I have a pandora enabled blu-ray player, and in order to listen to pandora in zone 2, I have to use my tv as a DAC with the analog outs going from my tv to my reciever.

So can you use HDMI sources in zone 2 with this receiver?

Answer:
Zone 2 is still analog sources only for both powered and line out modes. I downloaded the manual from onkyo site. Bummer. Good price, but that is the only thing that would have guaranteed me spending money today!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

And where do you go to to find additional coupons once this coupon expires? And are these coupons only for Newegg or do other on-line vendors do this sort of stuff too.

As far as keeping on top of coupons, some vendors will send you e-mails with their codes (Electronics-Expo.com does, and on a fairly regular basis). When the 6ave code was posted back in May, I was able to find a posting of it on TechBargains.com. If you go there, you will see a ton of Newegg coupons and offers (they also come up as the first result to a Google search for "Newegg coupon"). While I haven't tried it, they have a "Send email deal alert" link to keep you posted about new deals. They also list coupons for a lot of other vendors. Nice site.

I wish the vendors themselves would just post the coupon codes on their websites, but I guess that would be too easy.

And that code is not applicable to the 180 or 807, I checked. BTW, Newegg is listing the MSRP of the 180 higher than the 807, and giving less of a discount on it, so it is currently 100 bucks more! Who woulda thunk?

Edit: One of the "Ads by Google" at the top of the page reminded me of another site... Bountii.com. I think members can post prices and codes they find. I submitted a price for a Price Hunt once (you don't have to be a member to do that), and they sent me 5 bucks by Paypal. Very cool!

Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
nwod gniog em peek reverof sthguohT
Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

Hmm, 707 for $569 or the 807 for $699, without bing's 3%...what to do?

If u read the 807 thread there appears to be problems with the model man, i personally dont want to take a risk, there seems to be issues labeled as "Display Issue" and some other problems i read briefly.. , just have a read in the 807 thread..

Personally i dont want the RC180 either, theres no need for me to get that model over the 707, i wont be using the pandroa feature or any of the network features either Not to mention u need to connect an ethernet cord to the reciever to upgrade it's firmware lol, i dont have an ethernet cord in my living room

Im defintley locked on the SR707, im probably going to order in like an hour !!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

If u read the 807 thread there appears to be problems with the model man, i personally dont want to take a risk, there seems to be issues labeled as "Display Issue" and some other problems i read briefly.. , just have a read in the 807 thread..

Personally i dont want the RC180 either, theres no need for me to get that model over the 707, i wont be using the pandroa feature or any of the network features either Not to mention u need to connect an ethernet cord to the reciever to upgrade it's firmware lol, i dont have an ethernet cord in my living room

Im defintley locked on the SR707, im probably going to order in like an hour !!

I pm'ed Joerod, but after reading about some of the problems with the 807, I just clicked the order button at the Egg for the 707. At this price I expect to be very happy and content, for a few years at least.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Exactly man, thats what i just told you above, the 807 seems to have problems, i spoke to Joe on the phone too, he told me he LOVED the 707 and that he cant even hear a difference in sound quality between the 807 and the 707, the 807 can just go even MORE LOUDER at the same given volume rating , but come on lol, my SR606 can blow my ears out if i raise the volume so lets get back to reality, you really need the power of the 807 if u have a huge theather the 707 is plenttttty of power for most of us. and the network settings of the rc180 and 807 are not really needed for me, i cant just hook up my iphone to the auxillay of the reciever and get pandora and any kind of internet radio i want lol, instead of having to connect a freakin ETHERNET cord into the back of my reciever lol, did i mention i dont have an eternet connection to my living room? lol.. its kind of a joke, if it had WIFI then it could be considered but oh well.. the good thing is firmware upgrades on the 807 but then again, not a deal breaker.

Im going to order my 707 for $569 aswell right now.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Exactly man, thats what i just told you above, the 807 seems to have problems, i spoke to Joe on the phone too, he told me he LOVED the 707 and that he cant even hear a difference in sound quality between the 807 and the 707, the 807 can just go even MORE LOUDER at the same given volume rating , but come on lol, my SR606 can blow my ears out if i raise the volume so lets get back to reality, you really need the power of the 807 if u have a huge theather the 707 is plenttttty of power for most of us. and the network settings of the rc180 and 807 are not really needed for me, i cant just hook up my iphone to the auxillay of the reciever and get pandora and any kind of internet radio i want lol, instead of having to connect a freakin ETHERNET cord into the back of my reciever lol, did i mention i dont have an eternet connection to my living room? lol.. its kind of a joke, if it had WIFI then it could be considered but oh well.. the good thing is firmware upgrades on the 807 but then again, not a deal breaker.

Don't forget Bing.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't forget Bing.

What about bing ? i dont need that... the cashback thing? how much did it end up for you total with the bing?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 AM

Bing will give you 3% cashback.....so assuming the newegg code does not cancel Bing out, you are looking at approx $16 less for a total of $553.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Meh, not much of a difference
Old 09-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Meh, not much of a difference

FYI, Bing is giving cashback on the 794.00 price, I just got 23.82 back.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:39 PM

Nice... I almost pulled the trigger on a Yamaha V765 for $375 this morning from 6th Ave, but this seems like a better opportunity.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FYI, Bing is giving cashback on the 794.00 price, I just got 23.82 back.

Thats cool, i already ordered tho so thats too late now
Old 09-12-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchalljr View Post

Nice... I almost pulled the trigger on a Yamaha V765 for $375 this morning from 6th Ave, but this seems like a better opportunity.

are you lucky or what This reciever will rock your world man, i tested the 706 last year and it was freakin awesome but i had to return it and stick to my 606 for another year and thats what i did, now i will sell my 606 and say hellllllo to the 707 Thanks god i waited, if ur wondering, the reason i returned the 706 was because there was a bug in the 706 that made the auddysey calibration get stuck and not recognize speakers so i just returned it and stayed with my 606 for another year, the 606 has been a great little reciever for me and belive it or not , its a great well rounded reciever by all means, but its missing the THX buzz and the new features the XX7 have so i had to do it this year because it's value is dropping every day
Old 09-12-2009, 02:12 PM

I feel so much better....after researching (way to much) and worring about my avr purchase for the better part of a year....I pulled the trigger and bought the 707 from newegg. $569, no tax, no shipping charges. I mean like 12 minutes ago. I cannot wait for this unit to show up. It will be mated to a new Samsung 650 plasma, panny bd60 blue ray and AV123 speaker system cosisting of the x-static mains, x-voce center, x-omni rears and 2 mfw 15 subs....hope the 707 is up to the task. Of course it will be a gia-normass improvement over my old yamaha receiver trying to handle the load right now. My wife is going to kill me. May need a place to stay tonite...
Old 09-12-2009, 02:16 PM

So, I see I created a stir with the Newegg post I ordered my 707 this morning from Newegg too. I guess the RC180 to be delivered Monday goes back, at this price differential I don't need the networking. I love the front HDMI and optical, amazes me the 807/RC180 don't have either and they're supposed to be higher end models. I see next Friday night is going to be fun!
Old 09-12-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

hahaha sure thing guys, next week is going to be FUN TIME!

Trust me man, the networking is just like a gimmick as i said above , it does have a good side, and thats the FIRMWARE UPGRADES howver the pandroa and stuff is just nonsense, they didnt have any new features to put in the higher end models so they just stuffed it in there and now they are pushing it with advertisments.

Let me tell u this, and this is what i do and i love it, i take my iphone 3G, connect it via Auxillary to my beloved SR606 in the back and there i have , Pandora and every single internet radio station on the freakin WORLD right there playing through my surround system (Definitive Technology bi-polar setup ) , Gotta love it, so guys , really the only difference thats even WORTH mentioning in the 807 / rc180 is that they have firmware upgrade capability and MORE POWER , thats it, now, in reality , the 707 has PLENTTY of power to handle pretty much everything you throw at it which is why im not even thinking i need the power the 807 offers , OTHERS MIGHT so dont blast me now..

My little SR606 gets really loud if i raise the volume without distortion , so loud that with it powering my eD A2 300 subwoofer , one time when my friend was over i raised the volume in the bomb explosion scene, the neigboor from downstairs came up, knocking on my door saying her living room windows shook and i was laughing so hard and i had the GRIN on my face , thats power. now, if my SR606 does that, the SR707 is all that and even better and at $569 oh boy what a deal we scored
Old 09-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Actually the pre-outs and Audissey DSX were key to me. I have a nice 5 channel amp that will run the fronts, center, and surrounds from the 707 pre-outs. I just need the 707 amps to handle the rear center and either front wides or heights. I have some old mission bookshelfs just waiting for DSX duty. 8.1, Sweet!
Old 09-12-2009, 02:46 PM

I just made the purchase 707 for 569 what a deal... to think i almost paid 725 for it! thanks guys!!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius0034 View Post

I just made the purchase 707 for 569 what a deal... to think i almost paid 725 for it! thanks guys!!!!!

Enjoy Man! Glad you got on the deal.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:

I think it is premature to claim an epidemic on the 807. ;-)

The recent posts are between two people, one of which ended up with the same exact defective unit as open box. Also, when you get into networking features you will always have a little bit of flakiness until the firmware matures more.

That being said, the 707 seems like a great value at this price point.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sink View Post

Actually the pre-outs and Audissey DSX were key to me. I have a nice 5 channel amp that will run the fronts, center, and surrounds from the 707 pre-outs. I just need the 707 amps to handle the rear center and either front wides or heights. I have some old mission bookshelfs just waiting for DSX duty. 8.1, Sweet!

Sorry to burst your bubble but your not going to get 8.1, even with an external amp. The 707/807 will do 5.2+rears, 5.2+wides or 5.2+fronts. Rears, wides or fronts cannot be active at the same time, you must choose one of the three which can be changes on the fly via the remote.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:18 PM

I'm also proud that I was able to suppress a nasty character flaw I have...usually if it costs more, has more power, weighs more and looks more awesome, it must be better. In this case, I was sure I needed the 906. After all, if 100w is good, 145w has GOT to be better, right? Even though I know it would have been overkill for my set-up and I would likely never tap it's true potential....I'd still have a legendary Onkyo 906! Sorry if I'm rambling, still trying to work out the wife story: look honey, I was going to spend $1500 on the 906....spent ONLY $569 on the 707.....aren't u proud of me? I'm fixed!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble but your not going to get 8.1, even with an external amp. The 707/807 will do 5.2+rears, 5.2+wides or 5.2+fronts. Rears, wides or fronts cannot be active at the same time, you must choose one of the three which can be changes on the fly via the remote.

True on the rears, wides, and fronts. 7.1 is the best you can do at any one time. But I will have 8.1 to work with on the fly, I knew that but didn't get into the details. Get point though for people to consider.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

cool, just making sure you understood the limitation Sink. I love my 707 but am seriously considering moving up to a X007 series so I can take full advantage of my 7ch amp and do 7.2+Wides or 7.2+fronts. I wish I had paid what you guys are getting yours 707 for, hell of a steal! Looking forward to hearing everyones impressions this coming week.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just went to Newegg and the price is back to $794.

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
Old 09-12-2009, 03:55 PM

It is still at $594.00 After you go to check out and sign in, you have to put int he promo code RECEIVER9122 at the bottom of the page. It will then take off $225!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 PM

I spent the early part of the day unaware of the NewEgg offer and was considering an upgrade to the 807 for $699. Then I read about the 707 promotional code. I've had my 707 for 2 weeks now (thoroughly enjoying the upgrade from a TX-SR573) and was able to get the retailer to price match the NewEgg price and refund me the difference this afternoon. The only downside was I had to pay tax (they wouldn't go lower than the $569), but I still got the 707 for $600. I'll stomach the extra $30 to avoid repackaging, returning, collecting a delivery from FedEx/UPS, and knowing my luck, getting a bad unit!

I bought a camera tripod yesterday so I can re-calibrate my Audyssey with greater accuracy (at ear height) - looking forward to some positive results. I'm still having a little trouble determining the right level for my speaker and sub crossover points.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 09-12-2009, 07:20 PM

The Newegg offer said the $569 price is good till September 13th. So, I do not know if that means tonight till midnight, then once we hit the 13th it goes back to regular price, or if it means until the end of the day on the 13th.

Good Luck

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr707 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver