Official Arcam AV888 Owner's Thread! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 300 Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Scott, my fifty cents. . .
If you are wedded to the Benchmark Dac; this implies you are going to be using stereo bypass in either unit for 2 channel. I have not used the Benchmark Dac so I can't say if the DACs in the Classe would be a better option for 2 channel, but I suspect they would be pretty darn close if not better. In my Classe set up, I opted to use stereo bypass for 2 channel, but I have a Bel Canto 3.5/VBS DAC set up.

If you are not using the Classe for 2 channel and plan on sticking with the Benchmark DAC then DEFINATELY get the Arcam and save the money. It is 95% of the Classe on movies and the stereo bypass on it is excellent. I have an AV888 hooked up to a Kuro and also don't use much of the video processing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 300 Old 02-15-2011, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojack View Post

Scott, my fifty cents. . .
If you are wedded to the Benchmark Dac; this implies you are going to be using stereo bypass in either unit for 2 channel. I have not used the Benchmark Dac so I can't say if the DACs in the Classe would be a better option for 2 channel, but I suspect they would be pretty darn close if not better. In my Classe set up, I opted to use stereo bypass for 2 channel, but I have a Bel Canto 3.5/VBS DAC set up.

If you are not using the Classe for 2 channel and plan on sticking with the Benchmark DAC then DEFINATELY get the Arcam and save the money. It is 95% of the Classe on movies and the stereo bypass on it is excellent. I have an AV888 hooked up to a Kuro and also don't use much of the video processing.

thanks. i have no attachment to the benchmark other than the fact that i think it sounds better than the av8's dacs. if something sounds better, I have no problem selling it . (i am curious about the upcoming mytek, though. they make excellent studio gear. very transparent.)

If the classe's dacs sound better, though, then I could sell the benchmark and save a little cash...

Anyway, you can see i really don't know what to do. so many options...thanks again for helping me through it
post #273 of 300 Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott brown View Post

thanks. i have no attachment to the benchmark other than the fact that i think it sounds better than the av8's dacs. if something sounds better, I have no problem selling it . (i am curious about the upcoming mytek, though. they make excellent studio gear. very transparent.)

If the classe's dacs sound better, though, then I could sell the benchmark and save a little cash...

Anyway, you can see i really don't know what to do. so many options...thanks again for helping me through it

Scott, the 888 is a really nice sounding unit from Arcam. Just a few weeks ago I was in a similar place and my head was spinning on what I should do. I had a pretty decent upgrade fund available but an older NAD M15 pre/pro BUT I also wanted to upgrade my 2.1 listening as much as HT. I went back and forth and listened to several pre/pros and tried to compare the best I could which always isn't easy unless you have them all in your home. I considered new amps, stereo pre/amp etc etc. Uggg.

I really did think the Arcam sounded really great. Most of the pre/pros at this level do but for me I figured out what I wanted for now and that was not multiple boxes, additional cables etc. I finally picked the Classe SSP-800 as it sounded a little better to me in stereo then the others and remember my goal was to not add but to use a one box solution for now. The Classe did it for me.

The Arcam was really a terrific sounding unit as well and I am sure those who own it can speak to this better than I.

Out of the three units I auditioned it came down to Arcam and Classe. It's a no lose situation.

Rick

post #274 of 300 Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Just my opinion but I thought the Classe SSP-800 was better than the Benchmark. In fact, I thought the Classe SSP-800 was fairly close to the Perfect Wave PWD and Weiss DAC2. I slightly preferred the PWD and DAC2 to the Classe but to my ears, they were very close.
post #275 of 300 Old 02-15-2011, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
thanks!

what would be a decent price for a used ssp-800? for comparison, i've seen factory B-stock av888s going for around $5100. I think a used classe would still be at least 1k more?
post #276 of 300 Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

thanks!

what would be a decent price for a used ssp-800? for comparison, i've seen factory B-stock av888s going for around $5100. I think a used classe would still be at least 1k more?

Scott that sounds like a really nice price on the Arcam. You have an Arcam. You should know the "house" sound so to speak but of course not including all the nice things that go with having a current pre/pro like bass mgt etc.

How do you like your current Arcam in your set-up? I have a NAD M15(underrated when new as far as I am concerned) and I think it is closer to Arcam in sound then the Classe. In fact when I bought it several years ago I believe I auditioned it against the AVR300 as that is what they on hand at the time.

That Arcam price seems quite fair. The Classe with 1.4 is now msrp $9500. I am not ready for 3D yet but 1.4 in the Classe might improve a couple of other minor issues. See thread. I just don't want 1.0 anymore . I have only seen one used SSP-800 on Audiogon and it still might be there?

But really, you own Arcam and it is a house sound no? Upgrade to latest Arcam if happy or try something else. The Classe has a really nice analog section. I just wish it would get here. I am in week two of waiting.

Rick

post #277 of 300 Old 04-17-2011, 06:12 PM

I have heard that the arcam was very buggy- is that still true or has the latest updates stabilized everything- also is the audio control maestro the same product as I have a chance to pick one up for $3,000!! Seems like a good deal just for movies- Or is the denon avp a better choice- thanks
post #278 of 300 Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 AM

Been running the latest firmware in the AV888 for over 6 months and no problems; the first versions were indeed rather buggy - but its pretty bedded down and no longer an issue. The Arcam and the Audio Control look similiar but they are NOT the same unit - AC is moded and uses its own firmware. I have not hands on with the AC so can't tell you how it sounds. Both the Arcam and the Classe are going to be way better than the Denon.
post #279 of 300 Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 PM

I am looking into a new processor and will be replacing a Krell I have now. This model is on my list to look at and I just wanted to get some feedback from actual owners on your thoughts overall for how you like it, setup, quality of service if you had trouble, etc.

Also, I saw where it had an Ethernet port and wanted to know if you can update the firmware for it that way like other receivers made by Marantz and such? That would be a BIG plus for me as that is where everything is going or should be at now, I hate having to ship it to my dealer that is 3 hours away just to get new updates.

Thanks for your feedback.
post #280 of 300 Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM

Yes it has an ethernet port, (internet radio) you cannot update the firmware over the net. Firmware updates are relatively easy, you get the firmware on a laptop and then get the correct rs-232 cord and you say go. You do not need to send the unit to your dealer if you are somewhat computer savvy.

If you want video processing, this is a good unit to check out. If you have no need for vid and more bucks, the classe is better sounding. I was not personally a fan of the Anthem stuff. It seems all of the pre/pros have their strengths and weaknesses, its really a matter of what features you want to emphasize.
post #281 of 300 Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Yes it has an ethernet port, (internet radio) you cannot update the firmware over the net. Firmware updates are relatively easy, you get the firmware on a laptop and then get the correct rs-232 cord and you say go. You do not need to send the unit to your dealer if you are somewhat computer savvy.

If you want video processing, this is a good unit to check out. If you have no need for vid and more bucks, the classe is better sounding. I was not personally a fan of the Anthem stuff. It seems all of the pre/pros have their strengths and weaknesses, its really a matter of what features you want to emphasize.
Thanks for the info on the Arcam. Yes, I would have no problem with something like updating the firmware with a laptop. The problem is, I have no laptop computer anymore because for travel I use an Apple iPad. It may be worth getting a very cheap PC laptop though just for something like that since my dealer is a good 3 hours away and save money for the service.

In regard to the video inputs on this Arcam model, can you tell me if the most current firmware allows you to use more than 5 video sources TOTAL? From reading some reviews, they said one of the most limiting factors was you can only have 5 video sources total no matter what combination of inputs you use. In other words, you can not use ALL 5 HDMI, 2 Component and 2 SVideo sources even though there is enough inputs and more. All it allows is 5 total no matter what. Is this still true of the Arcam? If so, then it is a total deal breaker for me because I have way more sources I need to use and it is just silly for something not to allow you to use all the inputs. Even my Marantz receiver will do this so I hope that was fixed in the new firmware.

I know you said the sound you liked better with the Classe and that wouldn't be a problem, but I know of two dealers that have dropped their line since moving from Canada to China for production. They say the service is not as good after the shake up and can not recommend them any more. That is one of the reasons why I ruled out the Classe because I am concerned since the dealers that are in my region have issues.

Thanks for the info and letting me know more on this.
post #282 of 300 Old 06-07-2011, 06:59 AM

Since about last June, the firmware on the Arcam has been very stable, so I have not bothered to update to the latest. I think they are pretty much done with firmware updates frankly. As for the inputs capped at 5, the manual is on line and frankly I don't have that many so I don't know the answer to the question. I suppose an HDMI switch in the front end could be a solution.

Cleary the Japanese stuff is going to be able to handle more inputs, etc, but what you get in functionality you lose in quality and sound etc. Really depends on your priorities. The DAC sections in the Arcam and the Classe are just mile above anything you will find from the far east. Franlkly the only high end audio coming out of Japan is phono cartridges oddly enough.

As for Classe moving to China, yeah I hear ya, but not exactly sure where the Arcam is being built these days, they too have been between China a and the UK from what I understand. Of course, you could always wait for Bryston to get its 3.0 out, but then again I think we might be all dead before that actually happens.
post #283 of 300 Old 06-07-2011, 11:32 PM

Just wondering, can you tell me if the firmware upgrades are done using the serial ports on back or can you connect with USB or Ethernet with your laptop computer. If not, then this will be another deal breaker for me since I know of no one with a computer that old that has a serial or rs232 port any more. It is all USB and new "Thunderbolt" ports along with Ethernet now for everything.

Thanks.
post #284 of 300 Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 AM

I use a USB to RS232 cable to update. The issue is getting the right one. Arcam uses one kind, Classe another and DVDO uses another. Also you may need to get firmware for the cable onto you PC as well. It can be a bit tricky.
post #285 of 300 Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:

I use a USB to RS232 cable to update. The issue is getting the right one. Arcam uses one kind, Classe another and DVDO uses another. Also you may need to get firmware for the cable onto you PC as well. It can be a bit tricky.

Can you list the exact model number and type for both the Arcam and Classe so I will know what to get depending on which processor I end up with? It would help knowing what cable to look for, maybe you can check Amazon.com and provide me a link to them?

Thanks for the suggestions and reply.
post #286 of 300 Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 AM

Anyone know what the latest firmware is currently for this? Also, have they said if there are plans to update the processor for HDMI 1.4 3D capable inputs?
post #287 of 300 Old 07-11-2011, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

Anyone know what the latest firmware is currently for this? Also, have they said if there are plans to update the processor for HDMI 1.4 3D capable inputs?

The latest firmware version is v2.5 and yes there will be an upgrade which can be done at your local dealers fitting a HDMI v1.4 3D capable video pass through board that should be out very soon, and will be a relatively low outlay which is good news.

The Arcam is a fantastic sounding processor easily one of the best...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/arcam...88-review.html

John
post #288 of 300 Old 07-12-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruit View Post

The latest firmware version is v2.5 and yes there will be an upgrade which can be done at your local dealers fitting a HDMI v1.4 3D capable video pass through board that should be out very soon, and will be a relatively low outlay which is good news.

The Arcam is a fantastic sounding processor easily one of the best...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/arcam...88-review.html

Thanks for letting me know. I do not have a local dealer as they are 3 hours away so typically I do small things myself like installing new firmware. It sounds like I may have to ship it to them for installing the new HDMI 1.4 board when it comes out. I am REALLY looking forward to that for sure and can't wait. Nice to see they are updating their units.

I know they sound VERY good and Arcam really should tell people to check them out if they are use to the cheaper Arcam receivers and such because I think it is MUCH better. Most are surprised to hear how good it sounds because they only have heard the cheaper models. Not that they were bad, but the high-end Arcam 888 does just as well as those like Krell and Classe high-end models which is a huge statement.
post #289 of 300 Old 01-29-2012, 08:55 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone had the upgrade performed on an existing 888? If anyone knows, how much does the upgrade cost? I heard all the new units now have the upgraded board, but MSRP also went up by $1000?
post #290 of 300 Old 08-19-2012, 11:17 AM

rControl120x120.png
FYI, i've submitted the 'rControl' iPad/iPhone app to the appstore... it's waiting to be reviewed.
I will post back once its accepted.

A demo video to get the idea:
MVI 3972 - YouTube
supporting website: http://rcontrol.20ten.nl/

Screenshot%202012.08.11%2019.27.53.png

Screenshot%202012.08.11%2019.26.04.png

Screenshot%202012.08.11%2019.26.48.png

Screenshot%202012.08.12%2010.33.10.png
post #291 of 300 Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 AM

Recently replaced my 34" tube for a ZT60 and WOW.

I recently started looking into replacing my RSP-1068, I started with the AV8801 and although I wasn't ultimately happy with my 1068 I felt it sounded better than the 8801. I was told to try the AV888 and it disappoint.

I do have a little problem though which I didn't see in this thread. When using the EQ or adjusting tone whether bass or treble I get a ton if white noise from the center channel. When I pause I can hear it for a second then it goes away, if I leave the EQ off and tone flat then it's fine.

Any ideas of what it might be or how to fix it? It happens when listening to 5.1 or stereo through different inputs as well.

Thanks
post #292 of 300 Old 11-08-2013, 10:16 PM

Updated the firmware and that resolved the problem.
post #293 of 300 Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Arcam AV 950 will replace AV 888.
post #294 of 300 Old 11-11-2013, 11:10 PM

Any word on when it'll be available?
post #295 of 300 Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 PM

The Arcam rep said late December if not early next year. To be honest, I am not sure if he knew exactly.
post #296 of 300 Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harrison View Post

The Arcam AV 950 will replace AV 888.

Mark what is the price going to be in u.s. dollars.? Thanks
post #297 of 300 Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 AM

I do not know. I did not see a report on it thus far at the CES 2014.

Mark
post #298 of 300 Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do not know. I did not see a report on it thus far at the CES 2014.

Mark

yeah I have looked everywhere. I found the eu price. Converted it and hope to god thats not the price in us. Something like 9600.00. Ouch
post #299 of 300 Old 01-24-2014, 03:53 PM

post #300 of 300 Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Information on the Arcam AV 950: http://www.arcam.co.uk/blog,ces2014-av950-arcams-highest-performing-preprocessor-ever_200.htm?news_pg=0

Yes saw that. I would like to know the price in US dollars. Going by the conversion it is way out of my budget. But usually the prices of this stuff aren't figured that way.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page