Harman Kardon AVR 347 - Old firmware - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Harman Kardon AVR 347 - Old firmware
jesp's Avatar jesp 08:27 PM 05-28-2009
Hey Guys,

Does anyone has the old firmware 24-07-2007 2.4.9.1?
I am looking for the previous version of the 02-02-2008 firmware, which I installed and screw up the video (no OSD)

Please send me a note if you have it.
Thanks,

bommai's Avatar bommai 09:33 PM 05-28-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesp View Post

Hey Guys,

Does anyone has the old firmware 24-07-2007 2.4.9.1?
I am looking for the previous version of the 02-02-2008 firmware, which I installed and screw up the video (no OSD)

Please send me a note if you have it.
Thanks,

Before you downgrade the firmware, did you make sure you reset the box? Also, the OSD output may have been going to a different video output (component, HDMI, etc). Check all that and even call customer service before downgrading.
jesp's Avatar jesp 06:04 AM 05-31-2009
Hello there,
I did reset the box and followed all the instructions successfully, BUT when I checked the version of the new firmware, only the first line of information appears. There is a long discussion about that specific problem, and most of the people went back to the previous firmware.
I did checked also s-video, component, hdmi outputs without success.
jesp's Avatar jesp 08:47 PM 05-31-2009
In another discussion, in this forum
Thanks
Jesp

Originally Posted by tbucht
It seems that many of us have attempted a firmware upgrade which resulted in non-functioning video and no OSD. I have found a solution if you have these symptoms:
No OSD.
Second line of receiver display is blank when showing firmware revision (use Remote '1 2 3 4 Set' to see). The blank line seems be an indicator of corrupt video firmware.

Cause of the problem:
HK_Upgrader.exe sometimes chooses the WRONG .hex file for the video upgrade (second part of the update). HK_Upgrader.exe (10-23-2007 version) is included with the firmware...
02-02-2008 02
HFW V2.4.22.1

To confirm your updater has the problem (you don't need a serial cable to do the check):
Start HK_Upgrader.exe
Get to the step where you 'select the directory with with the upgrade files', browse and open the AVRx47 folder. Now look at the name of the .hex file - is it sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex ? This is WRONG, it should be cust_1000_ntsc.hex.
Exit the upgrader.

The solution:
Before starting HK_Upgrader.exe, move (not copy) sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex to another folder.
Start HK_Upgrader.exe
This time the hex file should be cust_1000_ntsc.hex.
Do the first (DSP) part of the updgrade. When it completes, move sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex back to the folder containing HK_Upgrader.exe.
Now, continue the rest of the upgrade.

I don't know how HK_Upgrader.exe chooses which .hex file to use, but it clearly has a bug if it chooses sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex as the upgrade file. Once HK_Upgrader.exe has been forced to choose cust_1000_ntsc.hex, it seems to keep choosing that file if you re-run the upgrader
gluvhand's Avatar gluvhand 10:04 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesp View Post

In another discussion, in this forum
Thanks
Jesp

Originally Posted by tbucht
It seems that many of us have attempted a firmware upgrade which resulted in non-functioning video and no OSD. I have found a solution if you have these symptoms:
No OSD.
Second line of receiver display is blank when showing firmware revision (use Remote '1 2 3 4 Set' to see). The blank line seems be an indicator of corrupt video firmware.

Cause of the problem:
HK_Upgrader.exe sometimes chooses the WRONG .hex file for the video upgrade (second part of the update). HK_Upgrader.exe (10-23-2007 version) is included with the firmware...
02-02-2008 02
HFW V2.4.22.1

To confirm your updater has the problem (you don't need a serial cable to do the check):
Start HK_Upgrader.exe
Get to the step where you 'select the directory with with the upgrade files', browse and open the AVRx47 folder. Now look at the name of the .hex file - is it sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex ? This is WRONG, it should be cust_1000_ntsc.hex.
Exit the upgrader.

The solution:
Before starting HK_Upgrader.exe, move (not copy) sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex to another folder.
Start HK_Upgrader.exe
This time the hex file should be cust_1000_ntsc.hex.
Do the first (DSP) part of the updgrade. When it completes, move sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex back to the folder containing HK_Upgrader.exe.
Now, continue the rest of the upgrade.

I don't know how HK_Upgrader.exe chooses which .hex file to use, but it clearly has a bug if it chooses sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex as the upgrade file. Once HK_Upgrader.exe has been forced to choose cust_1000_ntsc.hex, it seems to keep choosing that file if you re-run the upgrader

If I remember correctly, H/K released, then pulled back the f/w because of the above issue. They re-released the f/w a few days later. I'm not saying it was problem free after that. It seems to be about a 50/50 split on people that got the f/w updated first off and those that had problems. The main culprit appears to be the cables being used and their associated drivers.
Up
Mobile  Desktop