Harman Kardon AVR 347 - Old firmware - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

Does anyone has the old firmware 24-07-2007 2.4.9.1?
I am looking for the previous version of the 02-02-2008 firmware, which I installed and screw up the video (no OSD)

Please send me a note if you have it.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesp View Post

Hey Guys,

Does anyone has the old firmware 24-07-2007 2.4.9.1?
I am looking for the previous version of the 02-02-2008 firmware, which I installed and screw up the video (no OSD)

Please send me a note if you have it.
Thanks,

Before you downgrade the firmware, did you make sure you reset the box? Also, the OSD output may have been going to a different video output (component, HDMI, etc). Check all that and even call customer service before downgrading.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hello there,
I did reset the box and followed all the instructions successfully, BUT when I checked the version of the new firmware, only the first line of information appears. There is a long discussion about that specific problem, and most of the people went back to the previous firmware.
I did checked also s-video, component, hdmi outputs without success.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

In another discussion, in this forum
Thanks
Jesp

Originally Posted by tbucht
It seems that many of us have attempted a firmware upgrade which resulted in non-functioning video and no OSD. I have found a solution if you have these symptoms:
No OSD.
Second line of receiver display is blank when showing firmware revision (use Remote '1 2 3 4 Set' to see). The blank line seems be an indicator of corrupt video firmware.

Cause of the problem:
HK_Upgrader.exe sometimes chooses the WRONG .hex file for the video upgrade (second part of the update). HK_Upgrader.exe (10-23-2007 version) is included with the firmware...
02-02-2008 02
HFW V2.4.22.1

To confirm your updater has the problem (you don't need a serial cable to do the check):
Start HK_Upgrader.exe
Get to the step where you 'select the directory with with the upgrade files', browse and open the AVRx47 folder. Now look at the name of the .hex file - is it sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex ? This is WRONG, it should be cust_1000_ntsc.hex.
Exit the upgrader.

The solution:
Before starting HK_Upgrader.exe, move (not copy) sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex to another folder.
Start HK_Upgrader.exe
This time the hex file should be cust_1000_ntsc.hex.
Do the first (DSP) part of the updgrade. When it completes, move sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex back to the folder containing HK_Upgrader.exe.
Now, continue the rest of the upgrade.

I don't know how HK_Upgrader.exe chooses which .hex file to use, but it clearly has a bug if it chooses sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex as the upgrade file. Once HK_Upgrader.exe has been forced to choose cust_1000_ntsc.hex, it seems to keep choosing that file if you re-run the upgrader
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesp View Post

In another discussion, in this forum
Thanks
Jesp

Originally Posted by tbucht
It seems that many of us have attempted a firmware upgrade which resulted in non-functioning video and no OSD. I have found a solution if you have these symptoms:
No OSD.
Second line of receiver display is blank when showing firmware revision (use Remote '1 2 3 4 Set' to see). The blank line seems be an indicator of corrupt video firmware.

Cause of the problem:
HK_Upgrader.exe sometimes chooses the WRONG .hex file for the video upgrade (second part of the update). HK_Upgrader.exe (10-23-2007 version) is included with the firmware...
02-02-2008 02
HFW V2.4.22.1

To confirm your updater has the problem (you don't need a serial cable to do the check):
Start HK_Upgrader.exe
Get to the step where you 'select the directory with with the upgrade files', browse and open the AVRx47 folder. Now look at the name of the .hex file - is it sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex ? This is WRONG, it should be cust_1000_ntsc.hex.
Exit the upgrader.

The solution:
Before starting HK_Upgrader.exe, move (not copy) sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex to another folder.
Start HK_Upgrader.exe
This time the hex file should be cust_1000_ntsc.hex.
Do the first (DSP) part of the updgrade. When it completes, move sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex back to the folder containing HK_Upgrader.exe.
Now, continue the rest of the upgrade.

I don't know how HK_Upgrader.exe chooses which .hex file to use, but it clearly has a bug if it chooses sst25vf080b_isptemp_spi.hex as the upgrade file. Once HK_Upgrader.exe has been forced to choose cust_1000_ntsc.hex, it seems to keep choosing that file if you re-run the upgrader

If I remember correctly, H/K released, then pulled back the f/w because of the above issue. They re-released the f/w a few days later. I'm not saying it was problem free after that. It seems to be about a 50/50 split on people that got the f/w updated first off and those that had problems. The main culprit appears to be the cables being used and their associated drivers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page