Marantz SR5003 to Power 3 Speakers -- Safe? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-30-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a bit of an audio n00b so I've come to the land of experts for some advice.

I'm building a 5.1 surround system and I currently have a Marantz SR5003 AV Receiver, a B&K 125.2 amp, Paradigm Studio 100s v4, CC-690 v4 and Studio 20s v3. I have the 100s being powered off of the B&K but I've just recently acquired the center and 20s. I want to power my center and the 20s off of the SR5003 but I'm a little concerned that I will be under-powering and potentially damage them. The manual says the receiver does 90 watts across 7 channels but is this continuous power and is it risky to power the speakers I mentioned off of this receiver? Alternatively, would it be safe to power just the center off of the receiver?

If anyone also has advice on a nice 5 or 7 channel amp I would greatly appreciate it. I broke my original rule of sticking with the 100s and the 2 channel amp for a good 6-8 months so my power situation is all backwards now. If only the av world weren't so addicting and I had lasted longer than 2 months without buying a slew of new equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBlubaugh View Post

I'm a bit of an audio n00b so I've come to the land of experts for some advice.

I'm building a 5.1 surround system and I currently have a Marantz SR5003 AV Receiver, a B&K 125.2 amp, Paradigm Studio 100s v4, CC-690 v4 and Studio 20s v3. I have the 100s being powered off of the B&K but I've just recently acquired the center and 20s. I want to power my center and the 20s off of the SR5003 but I'm a little concerned that I will be under-powering and potentially damage them. The manual says the receiver does 90 watts across 7 channels but is this continuous power and is it risky to power the speakers I mentioned off of this receiver? Alternatively, would it be safe to power just the center off of the receiver?

If anyone also has advice on a nice 5 or 7 channel amp I would greatly appreciate it. I broke my original rule of sticking with the 100s and the 2 channel amp for a good 6-8 months so my power situation is all backwards now. If only the av world weren't so addicting and I had lasted longer than 2 months without buying a slew of new equipment.

The potential for "damaging" your speakers by underpowering them is vastly over blown as long as you aren't trying to make the house shake and listen at reasonable (ie. non-deafening) levels.

Surrounds likewise don't generally require that much power.

Your Denon isn't a major powerhouse, but only using 4 channels vs the 7 you could be, should mean that you have more than sufficient power for driving everything other than your mains. Your speakers are all 8 ohm and nothing I could find off of a quick goggle indicated they were difficult to drive speakers.

I have a thread here, that explains when and why you might want an external amp.

One of the most important things you need to understand that the power requires doubles with every 3 db increase in sound pressure level (SPL). So while 64 watts might sound like it is a HUGE increase over 16 watts. It's only a 6 db increase. It's also only a 12 db increase over 4 watts. You can get differences in the efficiency of speakers of 12 db which means that my speakers for example would need 64 watts to achieve the same SPL that certain Klipsch horn speakers can get with just 4 watts and I'd need 1024 watts to hit the same SPL the Klipsch would hit with 64 watts. So huge increases in absolute power don't translate into huge increases in the the volume of your system.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-30-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I agree with Bobcats. It's "safe" to drive all five with the Marantz. I would imagine people blowing their speakers under normal movie listening is uncommon.

What SPL you going to listen to movies and music at? 85 dB average levels should be no problem. You will have more power than someone without an amp, as you only need power for your three channels. The center is as demanding of a channel as the L/R in my experience, but the surrounds are less demanding.

I see no real cause for concern here. Unless, that is, you want reference level sound where your peaks can be 105 dB at your listening position. If you want reference level, you need to look at your powered sub, your speakers and your amplification to ensure they can meet those levels.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great replies.

I don't know the exact SPL I listen to movies / play games and I'm not sure how I measure that without a meter. I rarely turn my receiver beyond -20 when I'm using it for movies and games... but I'm not sure how that translates to SPL or if there's even an accurate way to translate that.

How would I determine my SPL?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Buy or borrow an SPL meter. Radio Shack has them - or you can find one on line.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the great replies.

I don't know the exact SPL I listen to movies / play games and I'm not sure how I measure that without a meter. I rarely turn my receiver beyond -20 when I'm using it for movies and games... but I'm not sure how that translates to SPL or if there's even an accurate way to translate that.

The short answer is the SPL doesn't really matter, only that you find it loud enough.

Post #3 (reserved post 2) in my thread - Tells you how to calculate SPL. The main piece of information you need is the efficiency of your speakers, usually listed as X db @ 1 watt. Double the power for every 3 db (2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512) and then subtract 6 db for every time the distance in meters you sit from the speakers doubles.

Nominally the volume control on most AVRs are telling you the difference in db from "reference" volume. But the numbers it gives you are really just an arbitrary numbers. The only real piece of information that gives you is that -20 is less than -10. It could be anything in terms of real world SPL.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'll probably pick up a sound level meter to get some accurate readings because I can't find the efficiency of the speaker anywhere -- searched the product manuals and did numerous searches online. However, I'm guessing that I'm not pushing it too hard and that I typically listen at moderate levels.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I want to power my center and the 20s off of the SR5003 but I'm a little concerned that I will be under-powering and potentially damage them.

Home Theater Mag reviewed the SR5003 HERE.
They measured 5 channels driven (8 Ohms) @ ~104W. So I'd guesstimate you'd get right around 120-125W driving 3 channels. Which is about what you're getting from your B&K.
You'll be just fine using your receiver to power your surrounds and center. With those Paradigms being sensitive (I think they are) and you listening at moderate levels, your wattage use is probably in the teens. Leaving you with PLENTY of headroom.
You definitely will NOT be underpowering them. FYI, the Studio 100s (I guess v5?) have a minimum rating of 15 watts. So you should be OK.

Good luck.

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #9 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome -- Thanks for the info. This is a great forum full of helpful and knowledgeable people.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page