Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

MANUAL SETUP > HDMI SETUP > Set "HDMI Audio Out" = "TV"

see pg 28 of the manual

thanks batpig. i figured it about b4 your response. new issue came up: when i switched from DVD/PS3 then back to DVR: no sound. then i have to go back into manual set, hdmi audio out. and got out, then sound came back. any idea why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangelet View Post

FYI I did get an email response from Denon. They asked if my TV has the latest firmware, and I believe it does (last update 2006, I think.) I'm not optimistic for a quick resolution to this.

And BTW I'm not trying to bad mouth Denon products .. I owned an AVR 2400 for 10 years and never had any issues. Just bummed that I can't use the 1910 to its full capabilities. Still debating if I should keep the unit and just use an optical audio connection for Blu Ray / Tivo until I get a new TV ...

strangelet, I am having the same no-sound issues. From my post16600995
Plug everything together HDMI from set top and PS3 to the 1910
HDMI to DVI input on Sony KV34HS510
Fire up everything and try Cable - picture but no sound - darn
Try PS3 - picture but no sound - double darn
More reading - buried on Page 13 of Denon manual
Note - No sound is output when connected to a device equipped with a DVI-D terminal. Also make the audio connections.

Does your TV have a DVI input?

I ran digital optical from my PS3 and set-top box, so I at least have sound now.

Agreed - bummed about this also. Resigned to waiting for a new display with HDMI instead of DVI.
post #363 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry for the double post. Thanks for the advice

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PREVIOUSLY:    TH46PZ80
PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakers
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #364 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Got my 1910 all programmed with my Logitech One.

Went pretty well. I renamed all the inputs in the Logitech setup then put the Logitech and Denon remotes together and taught the Logitech the input commands from the Denon remote. Also got the inputs renamed (well, the 3 inputs that I am currently using. Renamed DVD to PS3, Sat/Cbl to U-Verse and HDP to Apple TV. Pretty easy. Still got a free HDMI for a future Dedicated Blu-ray player.

Will have to rerun Audyssee when the Energy's get it. Looks like tomorrow instead of Friday. Pretty good ship time from PA (World Wide Stereo). Would be 3 days and thats the free ground shipping.

How should the Energy's be setup in the configuration (2 - C50 (Front), 2 - C-50 (rear), C-C50 (center), and a S8.3 sub.?

Thanks guys.
post #365 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodisette View Post

Does your TV have a DVI input?

Nope, I'm using the HDMI input. BTW does the audio start working when you turn off your tv and/or switch the TV to a different input?
post #366 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 AM

I am really wanting to pick one of these up because it seems to meet all of my needs, but the one big problem for me is the lack of a decent GUI. I may be alone on this being a big issue but I will have it sitting in an area where the front screen wont be visible.
Does it show things like volume level and sound format on the HDMI output? or do you have to go into the horrible menu's? If I understand what I have read so far it does not, but I am having a hard time believing how any newer AVR no matter what price point could leave this out. I dont really want to spend the extra $$$ for the 2310 if I dont need to though. Any idea on when it should come out?

Thanks,
post #367 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Believe it. You won't get volume level indication on the HDTV over HDMI with the 1910. The 2310 will be the lowest level model to offer that feature in the 2010 line up and is due out next month. Although if this is a hard requirement for you consider yourself lucky that that feature has dropped down to the 2310 as currently the lowest level model it's available on is the 3808.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #368 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_tra View Post

thanks batpig. i figured it about b4 your response. new issue came up: when i switched from DVD/PS3 then back to DVR: no sound. then i have to go back into manual set, hdmi audio out. and got out, then sound came back. any idea why?

I may be confused here, but what is the correct setup if sometimes I want to use the TV speakers and just have the 1910 on standby, and sometimes use my 5.1 setup? I do not have to go into manual setup to switch back and forth do I?
post #369 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda View Post

I may be confused here, but what is the correct setup if sometimes I want to use the TV speakers and just have the 1910 on standby, and sometimes use my 5.1 setup? I do not have to go into manual setup to switch back and forth do I?

See page 28 of the manual to select the standby source.

Denon 1910
RC-70's L/R Rosenut
RC-LCR Rosenut Finally!
C-50 Surrounds
post #370 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
I am having a hard time believing how any newer AVR no matter what price point could leave this out.

it is actually a pretty rare feature on ANY sub-$1000 receiver. the HK 254/354 from last year were the first "mid level" receiver to offer HDMI overlay. as JD says, believe it buddy.

Quote:
what is the correct setup if sometimes I want to use the TV speakers and just have the 1910 on standby, and sometimes use my 5.1 setup? I do not have to go into manual setup to switch back and forth do I?

no, you do not have to switch manually back and forth, that's the point of the HDMI Control feature -- if the Denon is on Standby it will automatically pass through the signal of the "standby source" you select. If you turn it on, it will automatically activate the 5.1 speakers.

This specific poster does NOT have speakers yet, and wanted to pass ALL audio through to the TV, which is when you would need to manually switch the HDMI Audio Out setting to "TV" vice "AMP."

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #371 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangelet View Post

Nope, I'm using the HDMI input. BTW does the audio start working when you turn off your tv and/or switch the TV to a different input?

Never tried the TV on another input. I only have one cable (HDMI to DVI) from my 1910 to Input 7 (DVI) on my Sony.

Makes me suspect the Sony handshake is "telling" the 1910 it is video only so no sound over HDMI. My current conspiracy theory.

When I first installed the 1910 I tried set-top first then PS3. When I got no sound from either I switched to the FM Tuner and hit search. Finally at least some sound. Sheryl Crow on Prarie Home, pretty cool.

Further reading uncovered the little "Gem" on P. 13 of the manual and prompted a quick trip to pick up Optical Digital cables.

Once the optical was hooked up and I had sound all 'round, it was on to getting the Harmony 880 and PS3 Adapter programmed. Went pretty smooth. Thanks to BatPig and his AVR-3808CI settings.

Still readin' N tweakin'.
post #372 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM

hey. Does the switched outlets always turn on with the reciever. I ask because i will have bias lgihting plugged into the back. Would it befine to have the bias lighting come on all the time?

Also, my parents enjoy 2.1 or 2.0 sound when watching regular tv. With a harmony, can i set up two activities. One is watch with 7.1 sound, other is watch with 2.0/2.1 sound?
post #373 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Never tried the TV on another input. I only have one cable (HDMI to DVI) from my 1910 to Input 7 (DVI) on my Sony.

Makes me suspect the Sony handshake is "telling" the 1910 it is video only so no sound over HDMI. My current conspiracy theory.

When I first installed the 1910 I tried set-top first then PS3. When I got no sound from either I switched to the FM Tuner and hit search. Finally at least some sound. Sheryl Crow on Prarie Home, pretty cool.

Further reading uncovered the little "Gem" on P. 13 of the manual and prompted a quick trip to pick up Optical Digital cables.

Once the optical was hooked up and I had sound all 'round, it was on to getting the Harmony 880 and PS3 Adapter programmed. Went pretty smooth. Thanks to BatPig and his AVR-3808CI settings.

Still readin' N tweakin'.

how did u get them to copy batpigs setting to ure account. They wouldnt let me.
post #374 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 04:01 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I guess this bears repeating ... DVI can ONLY transfer video. HDMI is the only cable that is able to transfer both video AND audio together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asb-123 View Post

hey. Does the switched outlets always turn on with the reciever. I ask because i will have bias lgihting plugged into the back. Would it befine to have the bias lighting come on all the time?

The switched outlets are always on when the AVR is ON. When in standby, HDMI Control must be OFF to have the switched outlets turn OFF. So as long as you aren't using HDMI Control you should be fine.

To get stereo, just press whatever button on the Harmony corresponds to the 1910 STEREO button and voila! ... your parents can listen to STEREO.

To get BP's Harmony codes, AFAIK you simply have to supply Logitech with the account name "Batpigworld" and voila! .... you get his 3808 codes.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #375 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:

i called denon and eclectronics-expo. both told me that the receiver might be deffective because i have audio for DVD and Bluray but NOT HD DVR box. expo will exchange another one for me. hopefully, i wont get another bad apple.

For all AVR experts in here: is that sound right for you guys that the AVR is defective because i get no audio when switched back to comcast HD DVR box from DVD or Bluray? Am i missing some setting or what?
post #376 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 04:52 PM
585-645-1006

If your settings are incorrect, then you won't get audio. Check to make sure your settings are correct, or provide them here. Also, as always .. before you do end up returning it RESET THE MICROPROCESSOR.

Also, why are you messing with HDMI Audio OUT? The only two settings are AMP or TV.

post #377 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I guess this bears repeating ... DVI can ONLY transfer video. HDMI is the only cable that is able to transfer both video AND audio together.

The switched outlets are always on when the AVR is ON. When in standby, HDMI Control must be OFF to have the switched outlets turn OFF. So as long as you aren't using HDMI Control you should be fine.

To get stereo, just press whatever button on the Harmony corresponds to the 1910 STEREO button and voila! ... your parents can listen to STEREO.

To get BP's Harmony codes, AFAIK you simply have to supply Logitech with the account name "Batpigworld" and voila! .... you get his 3808 codes.

the tech support did not let me take the denon 3808ci from his account. She said they arent alloud to do that. I will try with level two support soon.
post #378 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 PM

bat pig, They put the denon 3808CI onto my account. I think they lied. I beileive that they gave me a stock 3808CI instead of YOUR 3808CI. Could you tell me the commands you put on your screen for page one.
post #379 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:

If your settings are incorrect, then you won't get audio. Check to make sure your settings are correct, or provide them here. Also, as always .. before you do end up returning it RESET THE MICROPROCESSOR.

Also, why are you messing with HDMI Audio OUT? The only two settings are AMP or TV.

my problem is when i switched from DVD/Bluray back to HD DVR, I would not have audio at all. in order for me to get the audio back, I have to re-select the TV. then exit, then audio comes back on. but if i switched to DVD/bluray from HD DVR, there is no problem at all.

any help on this issue? what is the correct setting for DVR to this 1910? I have not received any advice on this issue!

TIA
post #380 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:

the tech support did not let me take the denon 3808ci from his account. She said they arent alloud to do that. I will try with level two support soon.

Try sending an e-mail to tech support from Logitech's web site. Ask them specifically what you want them to do (give them your account name, the batpigworld account name, and the device profile you want transferred). It took them two days to do it but it worked just fine.
post #381 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Could you tell me the commands you put on your screen for page one.

Unlike the annoying multi-colored words in your sig which serve no purpose ... the Harmony link in Batpig's sig actually provides you with the Harmony information you are asking about. Try clicking on it ...

post #382 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 07:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

my problem is when i switched from DVD/Bluray back to HD DVR, I would not have audio at all. in order for me to get the audio back, I have to re-select the TV. then exit, then audio comes back on. but if i switched to DVD/bluray from HD DVR, there is no problem at all.

any help on this issue? what is the correct setting for DVR to this 1910? I have not received any advice on this issue!

TIA

Are you the guy who doesn't have any speakers hooked up to the AVR and must use the TV speakers? If yes, are you using a QUICK SELECT to turn on your DVD or HD DVR? Have you saved that setting on both Quick Selects? I also believe I asked you to post your INPUT settings ....hmmm? It's hard to diagnose someone's problems with minimal information. The more you can provide the more help we can offer.

post #383 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Are you the guy who doesn't have any speakers hooked up to the AVR and must use the TV speakers? If yes, are you using a QUICK SELECT to turn on your DVD or HD DVR? Have you saved that setting on both Quick Selects? I also believe I asked you to post your INPUT settings ....hmmm? It's hard to diagnose someone's problems with minimal information. The more you can provide the more help we can offer.

sorry if i did not make my problem more clearer. Here is my input, everything by default label at the back of the receiver. I only use the TV speaker.

DVD to DVD HDMI1
PS3 to HDP HDMI2
HD DVR to DVR HDMI4

receiver HDMI out to Panny HDTV

No, I do not use Quick Selects. I use the DVD/HDP buttons in front to switch from HD DVR to one of the player. I use Source Select on the remote to switch back to HD DVR. there i have no audio at all. then, i have to switch back and forth between the AMP and TV audio to get the audio back on.

any help???

TIA
post #384 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 07:49 PM
585-645-1006

Okay .. I understand the issue better now. You are saying that the HDMI Audio Out setting is being changed from TV back to the default of AMP when you use the Source Select button. Do you have the same problem if you simply use the individual source buttons on the front or back to change to another source rather than using the Source Select button? The problem could be with the remote rather than with the AVR.

post #385 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Unlike the annoying multi-colored words in your sig which serve no purpose ... the Harmony link in Batpig's sig actually provides you with the Harmony information you are asking about. Try clicking on it ...

ok I just want to know whether or not they are lieing to me. I WANT TO COMPARE AND SEE IF I REALLY DID GET BATPIG'S DEVICE PROFILE AND NOT JUST SOME STOCK 3808CI
post #386 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 PM
585-645-1006

Like I said .. click on his link and find your answer ....

post #387 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Okay .. I understand the issue better now. You are saying that the HDMI Audio Out setting is being changed from TV back to the default of AMP when you use the Source Select button. Do you have the same problem if you simply use the individual source buttons on the front or back to change to another source rather than using the Source Select button? The problem could be with the remote rather than with the AVR.

No, the HDMI audio out setting is still on TV but I have no sound. I have to re-select/re-enter the TV option then the sound comes on.

if i turn off DVR, AVR, TV. then turn them back on. last setting was DVR. NO sound at all. back to DVD: OK. back to DVR no sound. i have to re-select TV (still at the TV option) to get the sound.

AVR problem or my setting? keep in mind, DVD & PS3 are the same setting with DVR by default. there is audio for them but not for DVR.
post #388 of 9328 Old 06-17-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

1910 doesn't have a GUI, that's one of the main step-up features in the 2310/890 model.

the 1910 OSD is just big white block text on a black background (I googled this image from a 2307CI but it's basically the same):

The comparison charts say that the 1910 has: Icon-Based On-Screen Display.
Am I missing something here? I thought that meant you got the nicer GUI not the block letter menu. Anyone?
post #389 of 9328 Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEARSOMEFAN View Post

Am I missing something here? I thought that meant you got the nicer GUI not the block letter menu. Anyone?

That is what Icon based OSD....GUI means Graphical User Interface

See the below page(pdf). It has GUI instead of Icon based OSD

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-4308CILit_830.pdf
post #390 of 9328 Old 06-18-2009, 03:05 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

if i turn off DVR, AVR, TV. then turn them back on. last setting was DVR. NO sound at all. back to DVD: OK. back to DVR no sound. i have to re-select TV (still at the TV option) to get the sound.

What happens when you use the DVR button on the back of the remote to select the DVR source? Does the same issue happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEARSOMEFAN View Post

That's correct, those are the words that Denon uses to describe their block text OSD. Notice however, that the last feature listed "GUI Menu Support" is not checked and therefore NOT a feature of the 1910. Not too mention, if it DID in fact have a real GUI .. you'd have a bunch of new owner's in this thread saying that was case.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page