*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1910/790 Owner's Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if any of the the 1910 owners were former 1909 owners. I am trying to decide between the two and I am not sure if the step up features (only having read) are the worth the difference in price as stores here in Canada try to close out the 1909.

I would be using 2/3 HDMI inputs and was only somewhat interested in the scaling the receiver does because currently I upscale dvds through a PS3. I would be using this receiver with 2x B&W 685s.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 05:33 AM

[quote=jdsmoothie;16671741]I guess this bears repeating ... DVI can ONLY transfer video. HDMI is the only cable that is able to transfer both video AND audio together.

THX for the reply jd. Agree but I thought if I ran HDMI from PS3 or cable box to the 1910 and selected AMP for the audio out it would direct sound to the 1910 speakers and send the video on to the TV. Guess not. So no lossless joy 'til I get a TV with HDMI input.
post #393 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 AM

My 1910 arrived yesterday. I still have to hang my speakers and run the wires through the walls (I love cutting holes in drywall), but decided to lay everything out and set up the receiver anyways. Set up was a breeze, although it keeps telling me my front speakers and my right surround are out of phase. I've checked all the connections and they are correct. So I did what the maual suggested and hit "ignore". It also took me a minute to realize you can't change in input names (like dvd to HD-DVD, and DVR to BLU-RAY) all from the same menu, you have to switch to each one individually and then going to the "set up input" menu option.

I think the 1910 sounds great. Had a buddy over and he wanted to hear the opening battle scene from Saving Private Ryan, so we threw that in, and checked out the DTS track on that. Then I threw in Dark Knight, on Blu Ray, and flipped to a few scenes to check out. I hate that my Toshiba HD-DVD player will only pass Multi Channel audio over HDMI. I might have to hooke up a fiber optic from it to the Denon, so I can get bitstream. Been thinking of throwing my 2 Toshiba HD-DVD players, and all 60 some of my HD DVDs as a package deal on ebay. Figured I could get enough to replace my favorites out of them on Blu-Ray. Hopefully this weekend I will get the speakers wall mounted, and wires run in wall.

Setup wasn't as straight forward as my 3808, but wasn't that much different either. Reading through this thread, before hand, really gave me some insite on the set up process, and different settings. I'm still playing with a few. I will say the Denon remote is horrible, but bought a Harmony One with this, and that was a breeze to setup also. Used the Denon remote to get everything setup, then it was put in the drawer with all the other remotes. Nice to have a remote free coffee table for once in my life.
post #394 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzi View Post

I was wondering if any of the the 1910 owners were former 1909 owners. I am trying to decide between the two and I am not sure if the step up features (only having read) are the worth the difference in price as stores here in Canada try to close out the 1909.

I would be using 2/3 HDMI inputs and was only somewhat interested in the scaling the receiver does because currently I upscale dvds through a PS3. I would be using this receiver with 2x B&W 685s.

There are very few differences between the 1909 and the 1910 so you would be hard pressed to find anyone who went from 1909 to 1910. The one main difference is the video chip and it appears from your post that scaling is not a priority for you.

Ultimately it is your choice as both are great receivers. As the wise Batpig told me when I was on the fence, if the the price is equal, go with the newer model, but if you can get the 1909 for a much lower price than the 1910, I would suggest you go with the 1909.
post #395 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 06:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodisette View Post

THX for the reply jd. Agree but I thought if I ran HDMI from PS3 or cable box to the 1910 and selected AMP for the audio out it would direct sound to the 1910 speakers and send the video on to the TV. Guess not. So no lossless joy 'til I get a TV with HDMI input.

Actually it should. The note you read on p. 13

• Note – No sound is output when connected to a device equipped with a DVI-D terminal. Also make the audio connections.

is telling you that if the "source" device (PS3, cable box, etc) is connected to the 1910 with a DVI cable then you won't get any audio. However, as you are connecting with an HDMI cable you should in fact have no problems sending audio to the speakers. I thought you were trying to send the audio to the HDTV based on your post.

Have you tried removing the HDMI-DVI cable to the TV? Do you get audio to the speakers then? If not, that proves it's not the cable or your TV ... it's the 1910. Check to make sure you have the correct HDMI jack selected for each of your device INPUT settings. If all checks out and if not already done, Reset the Microprocessor (p. 64) and see if that solves the problem.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #396 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 06:25 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by troiano View Post

Set up was a breeze, although it keeps telling me my front speakers and my right surround are out of phase. I've checked all the connections and they are correct. So I did what the manual suggested and hit "ignore".

As we've said before, this is indeed the correct procedure as the Denon will sometimes give that error due to the design of the speaker. As long as the wiring is confirmed correct, you should be good to go!

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #397 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillguy2002 View Post

There are very few differences between the 1909 and the 1910 so you would be hard pressed to find anyone who went from 1909 to 1910. The one main difference is the video chip and it appears from your post that scaling is not a priority for you.

Sorry guys, I wanted to send a PM but apparently I need at least 3 posts first.

I just am looking for a bit of clarification about the upscaling. I indicated to the dealer and still believe that the PS3 does not do a very good job of upscaling DVDs for my 1080p tv. He asserts that the 1910 will do a much better job.

While "better" may be subjective do any of you guys have an opinion on whether the 1910 is superior in this regard. This is probably the main factor between buy the 1910 vs. 1909.

Thanks again.
post #398 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodisette View Post

You *should* get sound with AMP selected even with a DVI connection to the TV. I've had Denon's 3808, 2309, and 2809 connected to my DVI-only Sony TV and they all worked like you'd expect. However with the 1910, Denon screwed something up and you either get stereo only or no sound when certain Sony TV's are connected to it.

Denon tech support has been no help with this issue. They have actually called me back, which is more than I can say for other companys' tech support, but all they've done is ask me the same questions over-and-over (Is HDMI control turned on? Have you tried a microprocessor reset?, etc.). At this point they're placing the blame on my TV, saying that Sony must've done something wrong (why did it work with 3 other Denon models then?).

My 1910 is currently in a box and I'll be dropping it off at UPS today. I was able to get 6ave to split their 15% re-stocking fee and return shipping in half, so this little experiment only cost me about $51 in the end.
post #399 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzi View Post

I just am looking for a bit of clarification about the upscaling. I indicated to the dealer and still believe that the PS3 does not do a very good job of upscaling DVDs for my 1080p tv.

Must be your TV then. My PS3 upscales DVDs to my Panny extremely well .. to the point I'm not bothered when I cannot get the BD version of a movie. Point being, all TVs are different so asking someone if the 1910 is better than their TV would only matter if it was the same exact HDTV model as what you own.

post #400 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Point being, all TVs are different so asking someone if the 1910 is better than their TV would only matter if it was the same exact HDTV model as what you own.

Good point, and to address it: my television is a samsung Lnt-71f.
post #401 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 07:48 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post

However with the 1910, Denon screwed something up and you either get stereo only or no sound when certain Sony TV's are connected to it.

Some Sony HDTV's have been known to not play nice with Denon AVRs and looks like the 1910 is another model having this issue.

post #402 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 08:06 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrox101 View Post

I dont really want to spend the extra $$$ for the 2310 if I dont need to though. Any idea on when it should come out?

Just got a report on the Denon 2009-2010 thread that the 2310 is on hand at Denon headquarters in NJ and due to be shipped to retailers very soon.

post #403 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Sounds like we've got our first main issue with the 1910 (although there have been problems with some Sony models and other Denon AVRs as well to some degree or another). Any other DVI-only Sony owner's get their audio to work correctly?

To clarify: this issue (no HDMI audio through AVR when connected to TV) isn't just happening with DVI-only TVs. My TV (KDF-E42A10) has HDMI only, no DVI.

FYI the Denon tech support rep that I've been in touch with said that he would report the issue to their quality team. I gave him the model # of my TV as well as of others on this thread who have reported this issue.

This morning he urged me to ask Sony to issue a firmware upgrade. I get the impression that I won't be hearing anything else from Denon on this matter. So unless Sony issues a firmware upgrade for my 3 year old TV I'm out of luck.
post #404 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM
585-645-1006

Thanks. Updated my post to to correctly indicate both HDMI and DVI. As always make sure your HDTV (or other component) has the latest firmware installed. In reading other posts in Sony HDTV forums, looks like Sony blames Denon so I would agree it's doubtful there would be a firmware update from either vendor.

post #405 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM

Liked: 11
Any idea about which Sony models are experiencing the issue with the 1910. I have a newer model (kdl-46z4100) and a 1910 sitting in a box waiting on some cables from monoprice. This thread has me concerned. Which Sony forums were you speaking of?

Got it set up yesterday and no issue with my Sony TV. Good luck to those with the issue.
post #406 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by troiano View Post

I hate that my Toshiba HD-DVD player will only pass Multi Channel audio over HDMI. I might have to hooke up a fiber optic from it to the Denon, so I can get bitstream.

Why do you hate that? Are you aware that the sound quality is IDENTICAL whether the audio is bistreamed over HDMI, or pre-decoded in the player and passed as MultiCH PCM?

Whereas if you switch to optical, just so you can "see" the codec reported, you will be getting WORSE audio quality because the lossless audio can't pass over optical?

BTW - if your HD DVD player's HDMI audio setting is set to "Auto" it will bitstream any SD DVD audio (like the DTS you were hearing on Saving Private Ryan). Of course, unless you have the A35 or XA2 you can't bitstream the hi-res audio, but again, it shouldn't matter! The sound quality is identical!

Does it just bug you to not see the "blue light"?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #407 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:

What happens when you use the DVR button on the back of the remote to select the DVR source? Does the same issue happen?

Yes, same thing happens. I must re-select the TV audio (TV option still there). it happens every single time.
post #408 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

na_tra -- you are ONLY using the TV speakers, correct? have you attempted to set the cable box's HDMI audio out setting to "2-channel" or something like that? There should be a "2.0" or "PCM" option which will "force" the cable box to output 2-channel audio.

what could be happening is that, when the TV is taken "out of the loop" (you switch to another input on the Denon), the cable box sets itself to 5.1 DD output because it "knows" the Denon can accept that. With HDMI connected devices, the devices "negotiate" with each other and communicate each other's audio capabilities so the right track is selected. When you switch back to the DVR input, all of a sudden the audio can't pass through because the TV doesn't take 5.1 DD audio input. When you toggle HDMI audio from AMP back to TV, now the cable box "negotiates" with the TV and things sync up again.

Just a theory -- check your DVR's audio output settings for HDMI and see if forcing it to 2-channel PCM output works.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #409 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Why do you hate that? Are you aware that the sound quality is IDENTICAL whether the audio is bistreamed over HDMI, or pre-decoded in the player and passed as MultiCH PCM?

In fact, I did not know that, thank you for pointing that out. I will leave my setup just as it is. My Toshiba is the A20.

Quote:

Does it just bug you to not see the "blue light"?

HaHa! I didn't even notice there was a blue light, when I was was skipping through the Dark Knight. But there definitly was a noticable different from the regular Dolby track and the Dolby HD track.
post #410 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 AM

I was looking to buy one but the price on the 1910 have been bumped upto MSRP of $549 everywhere. I guess i will have to wait around for a better product or deal.
post #411 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 AM

Has anyone gotten the HDMI CEC (not sure what the Denon terms is) to work? I just purchased a 790 and was wondering if anyone has had any positive experiences?

I'm trying to get out of the IR blaster business and hope this is my way out...

Thanks,
-Tim
post #412 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:

na_tra -- you are ONLY using the TV speakers, correct? have you attempted to set the cable box's HDMI audio out setting to "2-channel" or something like that? There should be a "2.0" or "PCM" option which will "force" the cable box to output 2-channel audio.

what could be happening is that, when the TV is taken "out of the loop" (you switch to another input on the Denon), the cable box sets itself to 5.1 DD output because it "knows" the Denon can accept that. With HDMI connected devices, the devices "negotiate" with each other and communicate each other's audio capabilities so the right track is selected. When you switch back to the DVR input, all of a sudden the audio can't pass through because the TV doesn't take 5.1 DD audio input. When you toggle HDMI audio from AMP back to TV, now the cable box "negotiates" with the TV and things sync up again.

Just a theory -- check your DVR's audio output settings for HDMI and see if forcing it to 2-channel PCM output works.

Yes, I only use the TV speaker.

How do I "set the cable box's HDMI audio out setting to "2-channel""

TIA
post #413 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 AM

Does anyone's OSD background flash a pink color before going to black when switching to the menu screen? This happens on PS3 and Dish box HDMI inputs.

Also, when changing channels on the Dish Network box does is there supposed to be a 1 second pause before you get audio and video? Do I need to turn auto lipsync off?

Denon 1910
RC-70's L/R Rosenut
RC-LCR Rosenut Finally!
C-50 Surrounds
post #414 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

a flash of color when the screen blanks out and resyncs is totally normal. for most people who see this it's a green flash.

channel change delays are a function of HDMI and changing resolutions,again totally normal. It takes a second for the TV to resync to the new channel.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #415 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_tra View Post

How do I "set the cable box's HDMI audio out setting to "2-channel""

sorry dude, I don't even know what cable box you have.

there should be a "Settings" button somewhere on your DVR remote, sometimes you have to press this twice to get into the full settings menu. Find a setting for "Audio Out" or "HDMI Audio" or something like that, and see if you can set it on "2.0" or "2-ch PCM" or something.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #416 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:

sorry dude, I don't even know what cable box you have.

there should be a "Settings" button somewhere on your DVR remote, sometimes you have to press this twice to get into the full settings menu. Find a setting for "Audio Out" or "HDMI Audio" or something like that, and see if you can set it on "2.0" or "2-ch PCM" or something.

thank you ALL for your help. will go to play with it tonight.
post #417 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestallion View Post

Any idea about which Sony models are experiencing the issue with the 1910. I have a newer model (kdl-46z4100) and a 1910 sitting in a box waiting on some cables from monoprice. This thread has me concerned. Which Sony forums were you speaking of?

This was last year and I don't recall the exact thread, however, it was only a couple posts referring to a couple different models so certainly not wide spread issues with all Sony models. Just google "denon sony HDMI handshake" and you should find some information on the subject.

post #418 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 PM

What kind of speaker wire is good for this receiver? I will use the same speaker wire for my 1610, just wanted to post here because it has far more traffic and I really need quick response as I want to purchase them as soon as possible.
post #419 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartoon2005 View Post

What kind of speaker wire is good for this receiver? I will use the same speaker wire for my 1610, just wanted to post here because it has far more traffic and I really need quick response as I want to purchase them as soon as possible.

14-16 Ga plain-ol-nothing-fancy speaker wire should be fine. (It doesn't have to do with the AVR so much as the distance.)

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #420 of 9339 Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Got my 1910 today. Moving from a Yamaha 663. Haven't had time to play yet, probably not until this weekend. Got home from work today and was going to mow the grass. The wife told me not to because we were going to make the 1 1/2 hour drive to the nearest BB with magnolia to pick up my father's day present. (10% off coupon) Had the kids and car packed when I pulled in the driveway, ready to roadtrip. Every now and then I am reminded of why I married this woman! They also had a few pioneer elite sc05's left, but at $1199 I thought it was overkill for my setup. Looking forward to hooking it up this weekend. If anyone needs a nice Yammy.......

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread - Avr1910 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page