post #541 of 9350 Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmaestro View Post

Since this is the official thread - what exactly is the difference between the AVR-790 and AVR-1910, besides apparently price?

See the very first post in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9350 Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phdeane View Post

See the very first post in this thread.

Ok - Let me just say I read the front page info, but skipped the FAQ. Thanks
post #543 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 02:59 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Hi bb, sorry to hear you're having trouble. This may sound silly but some folks don't see that there is a power ON button seperate from the larger Standby button. If this is news to you see "Turning the power on" around p 17 in the manual.

Good timing for this as it generally fools a lot of folks. We've had maybe a dozen posts over the 5 or 6 Denon model AVR threads in the past year that have had trouble with this and undoubtedly dozens more who were having the same issue and never posted after reading one of these posts about the (2) power buttons. Thanks for your response!

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #544 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bissonnette7 View Post

Apologize in advance if covered elsewhere, but has someone done a comparison of the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K versus the 1910?

Use the "google search AVS" box up near the top of the page "Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K vs Denon 1910" and you will find multiple hits. Do keep in mind that Pio does not have Audyssey.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #545 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 AM

I understand how to search a thread. I was asking specifically, as it is not covered well in any of the "multiple hits" you reference, if a 1910 owner could elaborate (such as the Audyssey features) on why they chose the Denon.
post #546 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

I understand how to search a thread. I was asking specifically, as it is not covered well in any of the "multiple hits" you reference, if a 1910 owner could elaborate (such as the Audyssey features) on why they chose the Denon.

Well excu-use me!

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #547 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Hi dia. Geeze, this thread isn't that long, and a quick Search This Thread
for "Icon-Based On-Screen Display" yields this same question a few pages back:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16673850

jd answers 2 posts down from there, "white-on-black text" it is, whatever you wanna call it.

DOH! I'll do better homework next time. Thanks.
post #548 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 07:44 AM

SoundofMind,

I have found everyone on all of these forums to be insightful, helpful, and exceptionally generous with their time. As someone who is hoping to learn, I rely heavily on folks, such as yourself, who generally have meaningful experience and insight. However, responding with a flippant comment like yours adds no value. If you don't have a perspective on my question, or frankly, if you don't feel like answering it, that is fine. However, condescending comments such as "search a thread" simply take up space. I am new to posting in these areas but have read for years, and have always been mystified by someone who actually takes the time to respond in such a manner.
post #549 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:

SoundofMind,

I have found everyone on all of these forums to be insightful, helpful, and exceptionally generous with their time. As someone who is hoping to learn, I rely heavily on folks, such as yourself, who generally have meaningful experience and insight. However, responding with a flippant comment like yours adds no value. If you don't have a perspective on my question, or frankly, if you don't feel like answering it, that is fine. However, condescending comments such as "search a thread" simply take up space. I am new to posting in these areas but have read for years, and have always been mystified by someone who actually takes the time to respond in such a manner.

You maybe right , But give the guy a break, he's helped hundreds of people like yourself.. Its his time and effort that just may save you lots of time and money ,, and its all free !!
post #550 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Apologize in advance if covered elsewhere, but has someone done a comparison of the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K versus the 1910?

Use the Google search box.

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #551 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
bissonnette -- SoundofMind's comment was neither flippant nor condescending. (well, the first one wasn't, the second one with the Steve Martin impression might have been )

YOU may know how to search, but to say that his suggestion to use the google search tool at the top of the page doesn't "add value" is a little excessive. There are many lurkers out there who may not be aware of such helpful tools, and I am confident his comment was intended to be helpful.

If you want to see a "condescending" and "flippant" response, just give this thread another 20 pages or so and then GaryJ will start getting cranky and show the amateurs how it's done!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #552 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't get me started.

Gary J

post #553 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Warning Potential stupid question, but just want confirmation

Since the 1910 is HDMI 1.3a, I assume that it supports the 24fps 1080p from my Blu Ray player. I did not see that called out specifically.

Long Live The Gorn!
post #554 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 AM

OK, I certainly wasn’t trying to show up here and be a pain in the rear. You are right, I do indeed derive substantial value from all of your respective opinions and should be more patient. So apologies for my initial reaction.

With that said, I typically use a search before posting (and search the broader universe, e.g. Audioholics) before venturing to post. With that in mind, and to get myself back on topic (which is the fun stuff), can you all provide me some thoughts on why I should go Denon over the Pioneer (found some threads but more anecdotes). Or should I consider the Pio Elite VSX-01. I am redoing everything to go with a 46” plasma display. I have two little boys so there is plenty of TV watching. I like music and some movies, but also sports. Think I have settled on these two receivers, and the DT800’s for surround (considered an Energy Micro set as well for WAF is indeed an issue). Need to have everything wall mounted (even at the cost of some performance). Budget is a concern, albeit somewhat of a loose one (i.e. don’t want to regret spending too little). You guys collectively seem to be the most thorough and thoughtful board I have found, so was wondering if you may help.
post #555 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The biggest advance in audio since surround sound is Audyssey Room EQ. Pioneer does not have it.

Gary J

post #556 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 AM

Okay guys. I'm in a dilemma. I have the Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver that I bought from J&R for $375 more than a month ago and it's been great to me but I have a buyer who is willing to pay that and I was wondering if I should switch to the Denon AVR 1910. I can get a brand new Denon for $430 and was wondering is it worth the extra $55. From what my newbie research, they are both great mid range receivers and either one will serve me well.

I'd be using them with the Energy RC-Mini with a Energy ESW-V10 sub.

Your input will be greatly appreciated. I know this might not be the place to ask this sort of question as I am sure you guys will say yes but all I ask is the honest truth if it is worth the switch.

Thank you.
post #557 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

the primary benefit of the Denon vs the Onkyo 607 is that it has full MultEQ, versus the lower-end 2EQ setup in your 607. They both have Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume.

The full MultEQ setup has higher resolution filters for the speakers, but most importantly, 2EQ does NOTHING to the subwoofer channel beyond setting distance/level. Full MultEQ has extremely high filter resolution on the subwoofer channel, so it will be applying thousands of points of correction to the sub channel whereas your Onkyo is applying ZERO correction.

See this chart at Audyssey's website: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multEQ_products.html

In your specific setup -- with RC-Mini's all around the sub is going to be doing a lot of work, your crossover is probably 110 or 120Hz right? -- I would think you would see a benefit from MultEQ. It should clean up and tighten your bass and hopefully do an even better job of "blending" your sub/sat setup.

There are a couple of other minor benefits -- e.g. the Denon has better and more flexible video processing -- but the full MultEQ setup will be the biggest step up. The Onkyo's biggest advantage is the extra two HDMI inputs (one in front and one in back). Other than that, in terms of power/features/etc they are very evenly matched competitors.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #558 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

the primary benefit of the Denon vs the Onkyo 607 is that it has full MultEQ, versus the lower-end 2EQ setup in your 607. They both have Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume.

The full MultEQ setup has higher resolution filters for the speakers, but most importantly, 2EQ does NOTHING to the subwoofer channel beyond setting distance/level. Full MultEQ has extremely high filter resolution on the subwoofer channel, so it will be applying thousands of points of correction to the sub channel whereas your Onkyo is applying ZERO correction.

See this chart at Audyssey's website: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multEQ_products.html

In your specific setup -- with RC-Mini's all around the sub is going to be doing a lot of work, your crossover is probably 110 or 120Hz right? -- I would think you would see a benefit from MultEQ. It should clean up and tighten your bass and hopefully do an even better job of "blending" your sub/sat setup.

There are a couple of other minor benefits -- e.g. the Denon has better and more flexible video processing -- but the full MultEQ setup will be the biggest step up. The Onkyo's biggest advantage is the extra two HDMI inputs (one in front and one in back). Other than that, in terms of power/features/etc they are very evenly matched competitors.

Yes you are correct. I have my crossover at 120hz. I guess I will think it over but by the sound of it, it sounds like it's worth the extra $55.

I appreciate your honest answer.
post #559 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protox82 View Post

Yes you are correct. I have my crossover at 120hz. I guess I will think it over but by the sound of it, it sounds like it's worth the extra $55.

I appreciate your honest answer.

I too had a Onkyo 607 before I ended up with my 789 , I though the 607 sounded very good , Just that the DSP music modes were not as good or as flexable as the denons..I like my music to sound as real as it gets, like I'm there and the denon got its DSP just right ..The onkyo had a soild 2 channel mode and HD movies sounded good to . The denon I feel is a better value and with more features like 1080p upscaling and punch though control for each channel level and all of the Audyssey's modes, it was a no brainer...The onkyo's loss of 7.1(8) channel input is a real deal breaker , cause now its not future proof. The 6 hdmi inputs are a poor and cheap way to suck in newbe buyers.. The onkyo is not bad , its just that the denon is better !! But you really can't go wrong with either one , its a win win ..The only way you can go wrong is if you said yamahahahahaha
post #560 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 03:09 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

Warning Potential stupid question, but just want confirmation

Since the 1910 is HDMI 1.3a, I assume that it supports the 24fps 1080p from my Blu Ray player. I did not see that called out specifically.

It does, although keep in mind that you'll most likely just want it to pass through the Denon as it's already at 1080p. The more important question is whether your HDTV actually supports 1080p/24 as the majority that are 2 or more years old don't.

Quote:

Or should I consider the Pio Elite VSX-01.

As entry level AVRs go, either will most likely serve you well. Pioneer owners will say they prefer the MCAAC EQ system while Denon owners will say they prefer Audyssey. Ideally see if you can A/B test them both to select the one you prefer as it really is a personal preference issue. AFAIK though, Pioneer does not honor their warranty on the Elite models when purchased from an on-line vendor, not too mention they are apparently no longer mfr the Elite series as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #561 of 9350 Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

It does, although keep in mind that you'll most likely just want it to pass through the Denon as it's already at 1080p. The more important question is whether your HDTV actually supports 1080p/24 as the majority that are 2 or more years old don't.

Thanks, yep pass though was my next research subject, as to the Display no 24hz today...but potentially want the option for the future.

Long Live The Gorn!
post #562 of 9350 Old 06-26-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I just purchased the 790, upgrading from a two year old Yamaha RX-V2600. I was TOTALLY blown away by the sound of my existing surround sound system. Compared to the YPAO, it was light night and day.
post #563 of 9350 Old 06-26-2009, 11:30 AM

Liked: 14
Hooray! I finally got my Denon 1910 as well as Energy speakers (my first surround sound setup EVER). It sounds great and I owe the wonderful experience I'm having to many, many people here at avsforum.com (particularly the Denon and Energy owner threads). Now to the meat of my post...

I've read through batpigworld and through this thread and I'm encountering a unique issue that I haven't seen posted by anyone else yet (maybe I overlooked it). Whenever I switch from my cable box to my PS3, the volume goes up. I don't have any sort of volume adjustment set yet (although this is planned in the near future), so I cannot see any reason for this. This is particularly problematic because my PS3 is typically louder than my cable, so this is magnified by the volume jump.

Here are the steps I perform to reproduce this:
  • Set volume at 31 (currently using absolute instead of relative).
  • Hit quick select button for cable. The volume remains at 31, albeit much quieter sounding due to the natural volume difference.
  • Hit quick select button for PS3. Volume jumps up to 40.

Is this somehow tied to dynamic volume or another Audyssey related feature? Can anyone else recreate this?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup (creator of C++)
post #564 of 9350 Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

that is because the QUICK SELECT buttons "memorize" the volume setting for a particular input.

if you memorized your Quick Select at "40" on the volume, it will always jump back to 40 when you use that QS button to jump to the PS3 input. pg 50 of the manual describes which parameters are saved when you memorize a QS.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #565 of 9350 Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 PM

Hey guys,
I requested my prize in Vanns for $430 shipped. surprisingly they accepted ...is it good prize for 1910?? i bought Pio 1019 and had for 10 days...i am not satisfied with sound quality. i tried many settings but still i have not got what i was getting from Denon 1507. for example the way Denon makes 2 channel to DPL II ( i have 5.1)cinema or music was so great it almost comes closer to DD 5.1. But Pio 1019 was good but not great. Chennal seperation in DPL II was very good in denon. i played more than 20 cds different kinds of music and 2-3 movies...but the up conversion was very good in Pio 1019. i tried oppo 980h with component in(480i) to Pio 1019 .it was very good. the movies were finding nemo( for colors) and dark night( dark levels). The MCACC was good. i really liked the auto set up...ALC also works.Power in paper says 120W for Pio 1019 but i don't know how they rated. i need to set my volume level from 35 to 25(positive) where i had never gone above -20 in Denon 1507. I still have Pio 1019 i am thinking of ordering Denon 1910 so that i can compare.....I am also afraid that Denon 1507 weight is 24lbs where 1910 weight is also 24lbs...I was thinking this going to be huge upgrade from 1507 to 1910.
post #566 of 9350 Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manizkrishnan View Post

Hey guys,
I requested my prize in Vanns for $430 shipped. surprisingly they accepted ...is it good prize for 1910?? i bought Pio 1019 and had for 10 days...i am not satisfied with sound quality. i tried many settings but still i have not got what i was getting from Denon 1507. for example the way Denon makes 2 channel to DPL II ( i have 5.1)cinema or music was so great it almost comes closer to DD 5.1. But Pio 1019 was good but not great. Chennal seperation in DPL II was very good in denon. i played more than 20 cds different kinds of music and 2-3 movies...but the up conversion was very good in Pio 1019. i tried oppo 980h with component in(480i) to Pio 1019 .it was very good. the movies were finding nemo( for colors) and dark night( dark levels). The MCACC was good. i really liked the auto set up...ALC also works.Power in paper says 120W for Pio 1019 but i don't know how they rated. i need to set my volume level from 35 to 25(positive) where i had never gone above -20 in Denon 1507. I still have Pio 1019 i am thinking of ordering Denon 1910 so that i can compare.....I am also afraid that Denon 1507 weight is 24lbs where 1910 weight is also 24lbs...I was thinking this going to be huge upgrade from 1507 to 1910.

I think you will be happy with the 1910 see if you can get the 1909 at a better price. I have tried the onkyo 607 and the yamaha 665 and the denon is the best by far , as the the pioneer 1019 I have only seen and heard in store if its like the 01 it should be good , but at ten lighter thats alot of copper and IC chip silicon.
post #567 of 9350 Old 06-26-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomuchtv View Post

I think you will be happy with the 1910 see if you can get the 1909 at a better price. I have tried the onkyo 607 and the yamaha 665 and the denon is the best by far , as the the pioneer 1019 I have only seen and heard in store if its like the 01 it should be good , but at ten lighter thats alot of copper and IC chip silicon.

thanks for the info. I can get 789(1909) for 400+tax in local frys...(anyway it will come around $440). I don't know any other place where i can get it for less either 1910 or 1909...Are the all the inputs in 1910 assignable?? for example i have comcast cable box. i will be sending HDMI video and optical audio. can it be done with Denon 1910???? How does it upconvert from 480i/1080i to 1080p???
post #568 of 9350 Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM

anyone knows any of the online websites that is offering 1910 at a discount price right now?
post #569 of 9350 Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:

thanks for the info. I can get 789(1909) for 400+tax in local frys...(anyway it will come around $440). I don't know any other place where i can get it for less either 1910 or 1909...Are the all the inputs in 1910 assignable?? for example i have comcast cable box. i will be sending HDMI video and optical audio. can it be done with Denon 1910???? How does it upconvert from 480i/1080i to 1080p???

Yes to all , but you won't need the optical with the HDMI. The upconvert is very good , but not prefect , but all AVRs upconvert in ths price range are only good at best and the denon is the best in this price range , the pioneer 1019 may be as good , but not sure about that, you would need to see that for yourself.
This being the 4TH of July sales weekend , sale prices should be very good , happy hunting..
post #570 of 9350 Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Hey guys,
I requested my prize in Vanns for $430 shipped. surprisingly they accepted

I think that is a great price! I just did the same thing and got it for $425!!!

46" Panasonic G10
Panasonic BD30
Denon AVR1910
Energy RC-10 x2
Energy RCLCR
Energy RC Mini x2
Energy S10.3
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread - Avr1910 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page