*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1910/790 Owner's Thread - Page 250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7471 of 9339 Old 07-21-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Also consider heat as a possible culprit, even though your system has run without problems for a year or so.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 9339 Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have my 1910 paired with in-ceiling Boston Acoustics front and rear speakers, and a stand-alone BA center channel that is pretty closely matched with the in-ceilings. I am going to be mounting my LCD on an articulating arm, and need to come up with a new center channel solution. The 2 options I am considering at the moment are:

1. Get a new, thin profile center channel to mount under the LCD. It is unlikely that I'll be able to get one that matches the in-ceiling speakers.

2. Forget about the in-ceilings, and mount a soundbar (for center and both front channels) under the LCD. The soundbar wouldn't be matched with the rear in-ceilings, but at least the front would all be matched.

Any thoughts on the advisability of either of these, or alternatives? Is anyone using a soundbar with the 1910?
post #7473 of 9339 Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM

I finished setting up my AVR-790 and I'm loving it so far. The only thing that is annoying is on start up the receiver is not playing any sounds when I play netflix through my LG-BD550. I have a harmony one controlling everything, and I tried a ton of different settings but can't seem to get it to work. The blue ray player is hooked up via HDMI.

If I turn the receiver off and on again while the blue ray player is running I get sound with no problems. It's a minor inconvenience but still frustrating to have to pick the blue ray player activity, then power the receiver off and on again.
post #7474 of 9339 Old 07-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

since you mentioned a projector, the issue could be with the long HDMI cable run to the PJ.

Thank you BP....hmmm....but it works fine for movies from the PC?
post #7475 of 9339 Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

It could be the result of some firmware upgrade to your cable box so you're options would be to connect the HDMI directly to the TV w/optical to the 1909

Thanks JD.....nah it not a tv...its a projector 25ft away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie:18936626 View Post

or connect both a component and optical from the cable box to the 1909.

Okay I'll try that...thank you
post #7476 of 9339 Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 PM

This post is indended for jdsmoothie, since it's regarding the 1910 firmware, which he seems to have good knowledge of. But I would welcome feedback from anyone else as well.

I have reviewed many posts by you and batpig on this thread, and have a couple questions.

I am having an issue because my TV only has a DVI input, and when it is connected to the AVR, I can only get blu ray players to play 2 channel audio and my PS3 will not play any audio, though I got my XBOX 360 to play 5.1 by turning off the "display detect" setting. To cover the basics, I have quadruple-checked that I have the correct audio track selected, and have tried every type of audio out from the BDP's they offer (PCM, bitstream re-encode, and bitstream direct). Regardless of the player settings, the Denon info menu always shows PCM 48kHz 2/0/0.

As far as connections go, all inputs to the AVR are HDMI, and I have tried both HDMI-DVI cable and HDMI-HDMI cable with a DVI adapter going from the AVR to the TV. Also, in case it's noteworthy, I have tried two blu ray players, the Samsung C5500, and LG 550 - two brands which have other known issues with this player, though I'm reluctant to think the brand is the problem since the PS3 doesn't work either.

The only thing I have found that works is unplugging the HDMI-DVI from AVR to TV. While changing nothing else, this does result in me getting HD audio and the blue light (or whatever I have selected) from both BDP brands and the PS3, but permanently leaving the TV disconnected isn't really a good solution...

I saw multiple references throughout my searches to your post on the firmware updates for the various Denon models (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17512496), and based on the description it seems that the "2nd Update" released Jan 2010 should solve this problem. Or do you think I am having a different problem, since I'm not getting a "loss of audio" with blu ray players, but rather just a downgrade to 2-channel audio?

And what's further baffling me is that multiple Denon reps I have spoken with deny any knowledge of firmware updates other than the one that "added support for Dolby TrueHD" and "fixed a problem with Samsung and LG BDPs having low volume." And given that the S/N starts with 912, as I'm told, my unit should already have this update. I even mentioned details to them from your thread about specific firmware updates and they said very emphatically that the only way the info in the post was correct was if it were to apply to AVRs of different "regions" - I assumed they meant other countries...

Crutchfield, where I bought it 2 weeks ago, has offered to send me a new unit, but I'm reluctant to do so if it's unlikely that the issue is indeed the firmware as the Denon reps insist (though that's still a better option than shipping it at my expense to a repair center). Would you recommend that I ask them to go ahead and send another one, trying to pull one with a more recent S/N (003x, 004x, 005x, etc.)? And are you pretty confident that getting a newer version would solve my problem?

Or do you or anyone else have another suggestion for me?

Thanks a bunch, and sorry for the super long post...

Other Info:
Denon 1910
Main Ver: 00.89
Sub Ver: 00.24
SN: 912...
post #7477 of 9339 Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMutha1 View Post

1. Get a new, thin profile center channel to mount under the LCD. It is unlikely that I'll be able to get one that matches the in-ceiling speakers.

2. Forget about the in-ceilings, and mount a soundbar ?...

It really depends on how much you can spend and what level of sound quality you're shooting for. A soundbar "simulates" surrounds and would not be an improvement at all IMO. In fact I'm pretty sure your in-ceilings for surrounds are way better than any soundbar once Audyssey corrects them.

So first, I recommend you get the best CC which meets your space and budget constraints. This is the speaker that does the most work for multichannel content like films. Audyssey will do its best to match it up with the front R/L in-ceilings but if possible, I recommend you replace them. Even some small bookshelf speakers (especially if they are timbre-matched to that new CC) will really improve overall SQ.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #7478 of 9339 Old 07-21-2010, 07:03 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by breis104 View Post

The only thing I have found that works is unplugging the HDMI-DVI from AVR to TV. While changing nothing else, this does result in me getting HD audio and the blue light (or whatever I have selected) from both BDP brands and the PS3, but permanently leaving the TV disconnected isn't really a good solution...

This alone pretty much clinches that the 2nd update would resolve your problem. If Crutchfield can get you a model with an "003..." serial number then it is likely to have the 2nd update installed. This is what I would do.

Quote:

And what's further baffling me is that multiple Denon reps I have spoken with deny any knowledge of firmware updates other than the one that "added support for Dolby TrueHD" and "fixed a problem with Samsung and LG BDPs having low volume." And given that the S/N starts with 912, as I'm told, my unit should already have this update.

You are correct, in that your current unit has the 1st update installed as noted in my post. It doesn't surprise me that the "Denon reps" you spoke with aren't aware of the other updates, especially if these "Denon reps" are Crutchfield store employees or Denon CSRs. Heck, even some authorized repair center personnel aren't aware of the updates, which is why if you have to send your unit in for a firmware update, it's better to just send it to the factory warehouse in NJ.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7479 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:

This alone pretty much clinches that the 2nd update would resolve your problem. If Crutchfield can get you a model with an "003..." serial number then it is likely to have the 2nd update installed. This is what I would do.

You are correct, in that your current unit has the 1st update installed as noted in my post. It doesn't surprise me that the "Denon reps" you spoke with aren't aware of the other updates, especially if these "Denon reps" are Crutchfield store employees or Denon CSRs. Heck, even some authorized repair center personnel aren't aware of the updates, which is why if you have to send your unit in for a firmware update, it's better to just send it to the factory warehouse in NJ.

I am hoping that the reps are wrong, since getting a new one that will work without me sinking any more money or time or energy into fixing this problem is definitely the easiest and cheapest option for me, esp. considering I've probably spent 30+ hrs over the past 10 days on this...

I don't think that the Denon reps had any affiliation with Crutchfield - I called the number listed on the Denon support page and spoke to someone before giving any info about my unit or where I purchased it. But I've also spent a pretty good amount of time speaking with one of the CF tech guys, who called Denon himself and was given the same spiel about there only being one update.

Anyway, thanks for the reference to the update page and the advice. I'm going to ask CF to send me a new one with as new a S/N as they have and hope that ends this issue. And supposing it does, I'll be sure to talk back with Denon and inform them of the fact that their reps are doling out blatantly incorrect info.

Maybe Denon should put your phone number on their support page instead...

Thanks again!
post #7480 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I'm going to ask CF to send me a new one with as new a S/N as they have and hope that ends this issue.

Unfortunately Denon CSRs aren't always kept up to date on firmware updates for the lower level models below the 33XX/99X models. And of course they are not affiliated with Crutchfield, rather I wasn't sure who you were calling "Denon reps".

I confirmed the information on the 3rd update recently to learn what the new Sub Ver# is after the update by calling the Denon factory repair center and speaking with a tech directly so I can assure you that these updates do indeed exist.

Rather than simply asking Crutchfield to "send a new one", I would go a step further and specifically ask them to send a unit with a "003" serial number. If they happen to send a "001" unit, it likely won't have the 2nd update. The serial number is located on the box so it really shouldn't be that difficult for them.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #7481 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 AM

Hi, Ive followed the forum for quite a while but never been able to truely sort out my little issue. It relates to the BASS levels either being too high or too low (depending on source) on my Denon 1910 coming through my BOSE Am10 system.

I'd love to give you some more detail and understand exactley what your 1910 & AM10 settings are? Becsue I am all tweaked out!!!

please feel free to drop me a line.

Kind regards,

Deano09 (UK)
post #7482 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Rather than simply asking Crutchfield to "send a new one", I would go a step further and specifically ask them to send a unit with a "003" serial number. If they happen to send a "001" unit, it likely won't have the 2nd update. The serial number is located on the box so it really shouldn't be that difficult for them.

I purchased my 1910 from CF recently and asked them to confirm a mfg date or serial no before shipping. I didn't have any luck but perhaps the OP might have more leverage. To the OP, FYI here are two snippets from my communications with CF:

"I just wanted to follow up with you after hearing back from our merchandisers. They actually contacted Denon this morning regarding the AVR-1910’s various firmware updates, and here is the e-mail response we received back from Denon:

'There have been a total of 3 for US 1910s, the last was in April. Unlike the one from November, which was important, the last 2 are not. They are for customer claims only, meaning if they have a particular issue, then the update would be needed. Not every single unit needs every single update. However that said, the latest update has no serial number beginning/end as production of the 1910 was done in March. So every unit in the field has THE POTENTIAL of having a certain issue that could be addressed by the latest firmware release.”'

and this as well:

'I wish we could comply with your request, but all of our products are shipped from a separate warehouse facility, so I’m afraid that we don’t have a way to verify a manufacture date or serial number before shipping. I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you there.

Thanks again. Just let me know if you need anything else.'
post #7483 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 03:44 PM
585-645-1006

That being the case, for the OP's sake .. hopefully he gets a "003".

post #7484 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Just got a new PVR and am getting blanking in live shows and recorded shows. Video is black and audio cuts out too during this 1-2 second blanking. When teh blanking occurs, the LCD is showing the screen resolution (like when you first turn the TV on and it displays what resolution it is displaying). Tech support from the cable company says it should not be the PVR so have asked me to connect directly from the PVR to the TV to test. I am nervous that it is the 790 dropping / switching. PVR signal is not great, it say 19dB = Fair. Never happened with the older PVR, just this new one. Anyone else seeing this?
post #7485 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I forgot to mention that my 1910 was purchased from CF within the past 30-days and I received a Jan 2010 build.
post #7486 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

Just got a new PVR and am getting blanking in live shows and recorded shows. Video is black and audio cuts out too during this 1-2 second blanking. When teh blanking occurs, the LCD is showing the screen resolution (like when you first turn the TV on and it displays what resolution it is displaying). Tech support from the cable company says it should not be the PVR so have asked me to connect directly from the PVR to the TV to test. I am nervous that it is the 790 dropping / switching. PVR signal is not great, it say 19dB = Fair. Never happened with the older PVR, just this new one. Anyone else seeing this?

Lots of people do actually ... it's likely an HDMI handshake which is quite common with cable boxes. First try connecting to the other HDMI jacks on the AVR and if still no joy, do as the cable guy suggested and connect directly to the TV with an optical cable to the AVR or go component/optical to the AVR.

post #7487 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lots of people do actually ... it's likely an HDMI handshake which is quite common with cable boxes. First try connecting to the other HDMI jacks on the AVR and if still no joy, do as the cable guy suggested and connect directly to the TV with an optical cable to the AVR or go component/optical to the AVR.

Thanks. I am going to try the PVR --> TV for now and see if the issue disappears. If it is, is there a setting in the Denon that we can change to try and fix this problem? To make it easier on the rest of the family using the system, it would just be easier going from PVR --> receiver --> TV. Plus, my LCD does not send out a DD audio signal via optical so I am only getting PL II.
post #7488 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
585-645-1006

PVR ----> HDMI -----> LCD

PVR ----> Optical ----> AVR

or

PVR ----> component, optical ----> AVR

post #7489 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

PVR ----> HDMI -----> LCD

PVR ----> Optical ----> AVR

ok, this should work. Let me give that a go. I can't believe we have to go through all this trouble to make this new Motorola PVR work properly.

So this sounds like a common handshake issue then? Is this more of an issue with the PVR or the receiver? ie. are Denon users seeing this more or just in general PVR users who go through a receiver? This never happened with the old crappy PVR.
post #7490 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 PM
585-645-1006

If involves different brands/models of cable/sat boxes connected to HDMI repeaters (ie AVRs).

post #7491 of 9339 Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

ok, just hooked up the PVR --> Optical --> AVR in the DVR optical in slot. Now the question is, is there a way to set the 790 to DVR without opening the back panel. These darn Denon remotes are bloody confusing!

Also, since DVR via HDMI is from the Blu-Ray, I guess I cannot have the PVR on or recording something when I am watching Blu-Ray then? Or will the receiver prioritize HDMI > Optical for audio?
post #7492 of 9339 Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 AM
585-645-1006

Sure you can ... simply assign the optical input to another source name and use it instead which also eliminates any confusion re: your second question. Although if left as is, the HDMI audio will take priority over the optical audio when the INPUT MODE setting is AUTO, otherwise you can set it to "Digital" when you want audio from the PVR instead of the Blu-Ray.

post #7493 of 9339 Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Zone 2 sources can ONLY be analog so you must make RCA connections from your HDMI sources in order to play them in Zone 2.

I've discovered this the hard way - wish I did some research first. One of the main reasons I bought the 1910 was to be able to play my AppleTV outside through zone2. With that being said, are there any solutions to my problem? I don't want to bi-amp speakers A+B, I need outside to be strictly on zone2.

My AppleTV is connected via HDMI. Does anyone know if I can also run RCA cables from the AppleTV into a separate source in the AVR (i.e CD) and keep the HDMI connection for Zone1?

Would using Component Cables (instead of HDMI) from the AppleTV work in zone2. I would rather not have to do this b/c both Components inputs are already used by other devices (that don't have HDMI).

Thanks.
post #7494 of 9339 Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking12 View Post

My AppleTV is connected via HDMI. Does anyone know if I can also run RCA cables from the AppleTV into a separate source in the AVR (i.e CD) and keep the HDMI connection for Zone1?

Would using Component Cables (instead of HDMI) from the AppleTV work in zone2. I would rather not have to do this b/c both Components inputs are already used by other devices (that don't have HDMI).

Sure, you can run RCA into a different source although using the same source name as the HDMI source name is generally the easiest as Zone 2 will always default to the RCA inputs when that source is selected. You can also turn the main zone off when you only want audio to Zone 2.

No need to use component cables as discussed above.

post #7495 of 9339 Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks for that info, Hydrogin.

I'm really hoping that the firmware does fix my problem, and this looks like an another hint that the Denon reps I spoke with were misinformed. Hopefully, the tech guy I've been speaking with at CF can help me get a newer version, and since it looks like it's the second update that I'm needing, rather than the third, the newer model will hopefully have it.
post #7496 of 9339 Old 07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
585-645-1006

breis104 -

I spoke with a CF sales person and got the same line about no way to confirm the serial number before shipping. I even asked if their purchasing department had an inventory list of the range of serial numbers from their latest batch of 1910's. Again, no dice. Purchasing doesn't talk to customers.

So I hung up and spoke with customer service (800-955-9091). She suggested you speak with a tech support person (800-955-9094) and provide your order number and specifically why you need an "003" unit to see if they might be able to work with you to ensure you get one. If they are not able to guarantee an "003" unit, she suggested you ask for a full refund and go to another vendor that can guarantee an "003" unit.

post #7497 of 9339 Old 07-23-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Sure, you can run RCA into a different source although using the same source name as the HDMI source name is generally the easiest as Zone 2 will always default to the RCA inputs when that source is selected. You can also turn the main zone off when you only want audio to Zone 2.

Thanks JD! It works like a charm. You, Batpig, and many others have been a great help to me (and I'm sure everyone else). Thanks.
post #7498 of 9339 Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can you make the volume show up on the Tv screen? or is it only visible on the receiver? Anyone know?

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #7499 of 9339 Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
no, that is one of the upgrade features of the 890/2310 model (next step up).

this is the second question in my FAQ: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #7500 of 9339 Old 07-24-2010, 02:59 AM

Hello,
I just bought the amazing 1910; it is a great piece of work.
However, I face a weird problem:

1) When I connect a HDTV ADSL Box to AVR and projector Infocus X3, it works well, whatever component or HDMI (with M1/HDMI or component adaptors for the projector)

2) When I connect a DVD player (Pioneer DV-S733A) or a DVR (Panasonic DMR-EH50) to the AVR and the projector in components, it works fine too.

3) When I connect the DVD player or the DVR in component, and the AVR to the projector in HDMI (M1/HDMI adaptor), I have got only the sound from the AVR. The projector displays that it receives some 720p input (or any other resolution I selected in the AVR analog/hdmi video conversion menu), but it remains black.

4) With the same DVD/DVR/AVR configuration (connection, conversion, upscaling, etc.), but the HDMI cable connected to a computer screen (Samsung 2494HM), then I got the image (as well as the sound from AVR, of course).

As I was stick to analogic video for a while, I am confused with this tricky HDMI/upscaling issue.
Have I missed some thing in the connection/configuration?

Thanks in advance
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread - Avr1910 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page