*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1910/790 Owner's Thread - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8911 of 9339 Old 01-28-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
always run the max number of positions when possible. It's not about measuring places where you literally will be sitting, the point is to feed the system as much data about the distribution of acoustic problems in your room as possible.

the spacing in the guide is approximate, just measure a cluster of points around the "sweet spot" and don't stress about exact spacing.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 9339 Old 01-29-2012, 02:47 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by stir fry a lot View Post

I have a living room table where the 4th, 5th, and 6th Audyssesy positions are listed. Since they are not a listening position should I just run the first three and call it good?

The generally suggested mic position setup is to do positions 2-8 within a 2'-3' radius around the #1 (main listening position) rather than where folks actually sit.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8913 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like what DynamicEQ does for my lows and surrounds but hate how much clarity I lose in the vocals. I've already bypassed the L/R front speakers and raised the RLO to +10 and while it has cleared up some of the "muffiness", the vocals from the center channel are still suffering. Is there anything else I can do to clarify the dialogue?

I'm really torn between having that crisp digital sound by not running it or getting the money's worth out of my 7.2 setup by enabling DEQ. I want to have my cake and eat it too damn it.
post #8914 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Is this happening with all sources?

DEQ should not make dialogue muffled. Can you describe the physical location of your center? A pic would be great.

Also what is the crossover on the center?

My suspicion is a combination of suboptimal placement and too much bass is causing the "muffiness"

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8915 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Sure ... just bump up the center channel volume a few db with the "CH Level" button on the remote ... oh, and place the setting back to "Audyssey."

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #8916 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 04:43 PM

It sounds better with when watching tv but when watching Blurays especially during particularly intense action scenes the dialogue becomes a little cloudy. I have the crossover set to 120hz. I've always had this issue with DynamicEQ even when I was running a different pair of speakers at my old house.

What do you mean by setting it back to Audyssesy JD?

post #8917 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I think your center channel is "overwhelmed" since it's so much smaller than your main speakers at the SPL you are using. Looks like it only has like 4" woofers?

Here's a test: Find a scene in a movie that you feel demonstrates the problem well. Go into speaker setup > speaker config and set center channel to "NONE" temporarily. That will redirect all center channel content (including dialogue) to your big boy main L/R speakers. Re-watch the scene... does the dialogue sound better?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8918 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 PM

Yeah that did help a little bit. Is my only option to get a lager center?
post #8919 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

possibly.... the center channel carries the bulk of the action (in addition to just dialogue) and as such it appears that you are getting a lot of compression/distortion when trying to listen to intense action at loud volumes. In theory for HT the center channel should be just as capable as your main L/R speakers.

have you tried a lower crossover on the center... counterintuitive, but it may prevent "muddiness" by having less dialogue going to the sub.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8920 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 05:30 PM

I had tried that before but tried it again per your advice and it does seem to have improved. It probably helped that I took a step back from it for a couple minutes and came at it with a fresh set of ears. Thanks Batpig.
post #8921 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Is my only option to get a lager center?

You may want to leave the beer out of it (though I have heard of liquid cooled tweeters)

FWIW after running Audyssey I usually boost the center channel level and lower the level on the subs (Polk CS20 and twin 12" Klipsches). The "pure" Audyssey settings tend to muddy the center as the OP stated and makes the subs a bit too boomy.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #8922 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

What do you mean by setting it back to Audyssesy JD?

You indicated you were using the "Audyssey Bypass L/R" setting.

post #8923 of 9339 Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 PM

My ears are slowly adjusting to Audyssesy and I think I've got everything sounding pretty good. UPS brought my second sub today so now I'm really looking forward to suffering an audio induced heart attack more than ever. Thanks for all the help.

Next question.. More often than not my glass coffee table has various stages of clutter on top of it. Should I clear everything from it before running Audyssesy or should I calibrate in it's natural habitat?
post #8924 of 9339 Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Keep it as is ...

post #8925 of 9339 Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 AM

I am in the UK & have a Denon AVR-1910 with which I’m having problems with no audio when playing Blu-ray discs with HD Audio on my Samsung BD-P1600. I get sound on the menu & trailers, but as soon as I play a movie with HD Audio, although the blue HD Audio light comes on the 1910 I get no audio. I have read various reports that the 1910 needs a firmware upgrade, and also that this problem only affects certain players. Can anyone tell me if there are any blu-ray players that are immune to this problem? I do not wish to go to the hassle of disconnecting my 1910, lugging it to a service centre for an upgrade and living without it for weeks. I would rather shell out for a new blu-ray player if that will fix the problem, so long as it isn’t too expensive. Unless anyone else has any suggestions? I have tried powering off the 1910 when the problem occurs but that doesn’t fix the problem.
post #8926 of 9339 Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley64 View Post

I do not wish to go to the hassle of disconnecting my 1910, lugging it to a service centre for an upgrade and living without it for weeks. I would rather shell out for a new blu-ray player if that will fix the problem, so long as it isn't too expensive. Unless anyone else has any suggestions?

Hi muttley64, set the BD player audio output as LPCM instead of Bitstream. You won't see the pretty blue light but at LPCM audio you'll get the same as the bitstream audio.
post #8927 of 9339 Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 PM

I was still having the muddy center channel problem but I believe that I have found a remedy. I changed two things before my most recent calibration so I am not sure if it was a combination of the two or just one but my system is now to my satisfication. The first thing I did was cover my glass living room table with a towel before running the setup and the second was to angle my center channel upwards much more aggressively. After the setup I removed the towel.

I'm not an audiophile by any means but I can now watch action scenes and still be able to make out the dialogue so I don't really care if Audyssey's settings would be considered incorrect due to placing the towel over my table during its process.
post #8928 of 9339 Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was still having the muddy center channel problem but I believe that I have found a remedy. I changed two things before my most recent calibration so I am not sure if it was a combination of the two or just one but my system is now to my satisfication. The first thing I did was cover my glass living room table with a towel before running the setup ... After the setup I removed the towel.

I'm not an audiophile by any means but I can now watch action scenes and still be able to make out the dialogue so I don't really care if Audyssey's settings would be considered incorrect due to placing the towel over my table during its process.

Just another case of you being smarter than the computer... strange how we have to constantly shield ourselves from the machines that are supposed to serve us. Although there are those here who constantly profess that whatever result comes from Audyssey must be correct, I for one still maintain that I know what sounds good and what does not. No matter how many times I run autocal or what changes I make to the room and equipment placement, it seems I always have to make manual tweaks.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #8929 of 9339 Old 02-04-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
For some reason I am having problems getting my new Apple TV 2 hooked up properly, and hope one of our friendly resident experts might be able to point me in the right direction.

Very basic setup currently, using a PJ with only a BR player assigned to DVD and HDMI1. That is working fine. I am trying to add an Apple TV and assign it to HDP/HDMI2 but running into problems where I get neither video or audio when I select HDP source. Just black screen.

However, when I attach the ATV2 directly to the PJ vis the HDMI out I get video, but of course no audio, but at least I know the ATV2 is functioning and the HDMI cable is good.

It seems clear I'm doing something wrong with assigning the input, but can't figure out what. Connecting the ATV2 via HDMI to HDP & assigning it as HDMI2, with pretty much everything else set to default settings, but I get no sound or video.

One concern I have is if I'm assigning the inputs correctly. Batpig's set up guide says, "First, Using our hypothetical, scroll to the top, select the "TV/CBL" input, and then go into the "Assign" sub-menu. Set the "HDMI" input to "HDMI-1", and set everything else to "None". Now, that HDMI cable you plugged in to the HDMI-1 input has been "assigned" to the TV/CBL source name."

When you say set everything else to "none" I wonder if I'm in the wrong place, as "everything else" does not have a specific option for "none" although it does have the ability to leave fields for digital and component blank. Is this what you mean by "none" or am I perhaps in the wrong part of the menu? It's been so long since I originally set things up that I forgot if this was exactly how I set the original BR input set up.

With this sketchy info, anyone have any suggestions of what I'm doing wrong? I have no doubt it's my fault, but I've gone back over Batpig's setup guide and FAQs as well as searching this thread, and haven't had any luck.

TIA for any help!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #8930 of 9339 Old 02-04-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

For some reason I am having problems getting my new Apple TV 2 hooked up properly, and hope one of our friendly resident experts might be able to point me in the right direction.

Hi hanesian, what happens if you swap it out with BD player (HDMI-1 DVD)?
post #8931 of 9339 Old 02-04-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi JChin,

Thanks for trying to help me (again)!

When I swaped the ATV2 with the BD player on HDMI1 I got the black screen & no sound. I also get a short display in the lower left corner of the screen that says, "HDMI No signal", or similar message.

Same when I tried a few of the other HDMI options. The only way I could get video was to connect the ATV2 directly to the PJ via the same HDMI that is the HDMI out on the AVR to the PJ.

Does that help you narrow down the likely problem?

Very frustrating, although I'm so new to this stuff I just assume I am a victim of my own ignorance.

Thanks again for trying to help!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #8932 of 9339 Old 02-04-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

When I swaped the ATV2 with the BD player on HDMI1 I got the black screen & no sound. I also get a short display in the lower left corner of the screen that says, "HDMI No signal", or similar message.

Hmm, try setting i/p Scaler to "off" (Menu -> Input Setup -> Video -> i/p Scaler).
post #8933 of 9339 Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 PM

Hansian,

I have the ATV2 hooked up to the same input on my 1910 and it works fine. The ATV2 is 720P so maybe try looking at the Resolution or Progressive modes as described on page 34 of the manual. i/p scaler options on that page too.

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out. It's a fun toy. If you have an iPhone, get the remote App, it's great. Also, if you have a mac, make sure it's on and that iPhoto and iTunes are running. Pulling photo's and videos from you PC will be much faster if these are running.
Scott
post #8934 of 9339 Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hmm, try setting i/p Scaler to "off" (Menu -> Input Setup -> Video -> i/p Scaler).

Thanks for your continued effort, JChin. Tried that, with no luck. It was set to "off", tried turning it "on" and then turning it "off" again. No change in black screen. Any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinMN View Post

Hansian,

I have the ATV2 hooked up to the same input on my 1910 and it works fine. The ATV2 is 720P so maybe try looking at the Resolution or Progressive modes as described on page 34 of the manual. i/p scaler options on that page too.

Scott,

Good to hear from you again! Tried fiddling with the resolution & progressive modes, before turning the i/p scaler back to off. None of the combinations fixed it for me - I still get a black screen and no sound.

Can you perhaps let me know exactly what all your settings are for your ATV2 input, and I'll try to duplicate your results? Seems like I must just have some setting off on this. Frustrating trying to get the ATV2 operational!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #8935 of 9339 Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM

Hanes,
Any luck?
post #8936 of 9339 Old 02-08-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

No luck so far. I have the same settings you used for that component. Very odd that I can get video directly from the ATV2 without the AVR involved, but no luck going through the AVR. I'm next going to try a brand new HDMI cable and see if that affects it, even though when I swaped out the HDMI from my BD player it didn't do anything. It is all of about $3 from Monoprice, so why not try? Just waiting for it to arrive.

If that doesn't work I suppose I can bypass the AVR for video and use optical out to the AVR for audio, but that is not my preference, as I'll have to manually fiddle each time.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #8937 of 9339 Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

is it possible to watch tv (hdmi input "sat") and at the same time listen to music through my apple airport express (analog input "CD")? how would i go about setting this up? i like to watch sports but listen to music at the same time so i don't want to hear the "sat" input just see the video.

post #8938 of 9339 Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

is it possible to watch tv (hdmi input "sat") and at the same time listen to music through my apple airport express (analog input "CD")? how would i go about setting this up? i like to watch sports but listen to music at the same time so i don't want to hear the "sat" input just see the video.

Hi Anthony, you can use a RCA piggyback cable and connect the CD cable into the same labeled analog inputs (SAT/CBL) as is the HDMI video source (SAT/CBL). Then while the HDMI video source "SAT/CBL" is selected, change the "Input Mode" setting to "Analog". Note, you'll will then need to change it back to either "Auto"or "HDMI" when finished.
post #8939 of 9339 Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I'm about to ship my 790 off to Denon for the FW upgrade so it won't drop out watching Star Wars BD. In the meantime I'll be subbing in a Yammie 565 from the bedroom which is a slight step down, but at least we'll still have 7.2 while the Denon is away.

Unrelated to the above, I'm considering upgrading my main speakers (L/R) to some Polk RTiA9's, which will likely want a bit more power than my 790 can dish out. As much as I'd love to move up to a Denon 3312 or something else with pre-outs and a discrete amp for the fronts, I was wondering if I could instead bi-amp the fronts using the 790's rear channel amps and instead power my rear speakers with a small discreet 2-channel amp?

I don't use the Zone-2 capability and as I recall the 790 has pre-outs for the rear channel. Maybe a stupid question, but I don't want to assume that I can only to find out that I can't. Thanks.

post #8940 of 9339 Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Before shipping off the 790, keep in mind that as the issue only involves the one BD, the easiest work around is to simply set the BDP to PCM vice bitstream for the same exact audio quality.

Without FL/FR preouts, not sure how you would use an external amp and bi-amping with the AVR's amps adds no real additional power.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page