AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Before shipping off the 790, keep in mind that as the issue only involves the one BD, the easiest work around is to simply set the BDP to PCM vice bitstream for the same exact audio quality.

I had to make a decision for warranty reasons before the 790 hits two years old next month. I have considered that we're not likely to watch SW again more than maybe once... my primary concern is, will this come back and bite me again on some future release, perhaps something I care more about like a James Cameron movie.

Quote:

Without FL/FR preouts, not sure how you would use an external amp and bi-amping with the AVR's amps adds no real additional power.

Denon amp 1&2 -> front L/R woofs
Denon amp 3 ---> center
Denon amp 4&5 -> surrounds
Denon amp 6&7 -> front tweets (bi-amp)
Denon zone2 out -> ext amp -> rear L/R

Guess I need to dig out the manual. I seem to recall having a choice of running amps 6&7 to: a) rear channels, b) zone 2 speakers, or c) bi-amping the mains... in which case the zone2 pre-outs are essentially excess. Or am I thinking of another AVR? (I've had a few).

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8942 of 9330 Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 953
You are confused. You can reassign the amps but you cannot reassign the preouts. There are no preouts for main zone, period.

Plus, as was already explained, receiver bi amping won't actually get you more power.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8943 of 9330 Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, thanks. No pre-outs period pretty much nails it. But I was thinking that
perhaps driving half as many speakers might put less load on each channel amp.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #8944 of 9330 Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 953
yes, that is true, if you were driving, say, 3 speakers instead of 7, there would be more power available for each amp. But in your scenario you are STILL using all 7 amps!

so let's say you have a receiver with pre-outs, and you are running 7.1, and you add a nice 3ch amp to power the L/C/R speakers so now the receiver is only powering the 4 surrounds. That is the situation where you will free up a lot of headroom, because the limiting factor is really the shared power supply of the amp and you just offloaded the toughest work to the beefy external amp. The same is also true BTW for your powered subwoofer, offloading more bass to the sub will free up headroom because it's separately amp'd. So you might just want to raise the crossovers to 80Hz on any speakers set below that if you haven't already.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8945 of 9330 Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Again, thank you, and yeah, I understand about the common shared power supply. The more I look into this the more I'm inclined to submit myself to a reality check and just live with what I have for now, and save the ~$2,500 it would likely end up costing just to upgrade the two front speakers.

Though I've been eying the 3312 for a while, I realize that other then having a more powerful amp (as well as pre-outs) I don't need many or most of the other features. I'm sure many here have had to at some point tell themselves "enough".

post #8946 of 9330 Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've run into an odd sound issue that hopefully someone can help me with. I've spent hours trying to fix it and it's driving me insane.

I have my slim PS3 hooked up to my 790 through HDMI. I've had this setup for over a year with no issues. I was watching a blu-ray and suddenly, dialogue got very soft and muffled compared to other sounds. Even other sounds through the center channel sounded fine, but dialogue was muffled.

I switched to my HTPC, also connected through HDMI and had the same problem. I ran Audyssey and all the speakers were fine. I changed the surround mode to 5.1 stereo and it sounded great. Same with matrix, video game, and all the others. So the speakers are fine. It's not the PS3 because the HTPC has the same issue.

I don't get it. It's just the one mode that I need for 5.1 surround and it all works fine except the dialogue. Whether the display says direct or multi ch in, it's the same problem. I have the center channel boosted all the way. But, it's not just the volume of the dialogue, it doesn't sound right either - almost tinny.

I don't know if the 790 can have some type of malfunction that could just cause this one specific error. Especially since everything sounds great in all the other modes. Please help!
post #8947 of 9330 Old 02-18-2012, 04:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
^^
So this occurs regardless of whether the front panel reads DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 as well as when the PS3 decodes and the front panel reads "Mult CH IN"? Try swapping the center speaker with a front main to confirm it's not the center speaker. Also reset the microprocessor (p. 64) and run AUTO SETUP again.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8948 of 9330 Old 02-18-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm still not able to get the AppleTv 2 to be recognized by my Denon 790 - just blank screen and no audio.

Have tried swapping out the ATV with the BD player and even the HDMI cables, and turning of I/P scaler - all with no luck. The only way I can see the video is to bypass the AVR entirely with HDMI out of the ATV2 directly to the PJ. However, that requires constant manual jiggering of the cables and is low on the WAF, and I know others - including FlyinMN here - have had no problems connecting their ATV2 through their AVR. FlyinMN shared his exact detailed component settings with me, which I copied exactly, but for some reason it still doesn't work for me.

I would be very grateful if anyone had any other ideas on what I might try to get my 790 to recognize the AppleTV 2. I've included below some excerpts of the previous posts on my issue from the past couple weeks below to make it a bit easier to see what has been tried so far.

TIA to anyone who might have any suggestions! I'm almost out of hope.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Very basic setup currently, using a PJ with only a BR player assigned to DVD and HDMI1. That is working fine. I am trying to add an Apple TV and assign it to HDP/HDMI2 but running into problems where I get neither video or audio when I select HDP source. Just black screen.

However, when I attach the ATV2 directly to the PJ vis the HDMI out I get video, but of course no audio, but at least I know the ATV2 is functioning and the HDMI cable is good.

It seems clear I'm doing something wrong with assigning the input, but can't figure out what. Connecting the ATV2 via HDMI to HDP & assigning it as HDMI2, with pretty much everything else set to default settings, but I get no sound or video.

With this sketchy info, anyone have any suggestions of what I'm doing wrong? I have no doubt it's my fault, but I've gone back over Batpig's setup guide and FAQs as well as searching this thread, and haven't had any luck.

TIA for any help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi hanesian, what happens if you swap it out with BD player (HDMI-1 DVD)?

Quote:

Hi JChin,

Thanks for trying to help me (again)!

When I swaped the ATV2 with the BD player on HDMI1 I got the black screen & no sound. I also get a short display in the lower left corner of the screen that says, "HDMI No signal", or similar message.

Same when I tried a few of the other HDMI options. The only way I could get video was to connect the ATV2 directly to the PJ via the same HDMI that is the HDMI out on the AVR to the PJ.

Does that help you narrow down the likely problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hmm, try setting i/p Scaler to "off" (Menu -> Input Setup -> Video -> i/p Scaler).

Quote:

Thanks for your continued effort, JChin. Tried that, with no luck. It was set to "off", tried turning it "on" and then turning it "off" again. No change in black screen. Any other ideas?

Quote:

No luck so far. I have the same settings you used for that component. Very odd that I can get video directly from the ATV2 without the AVR involved, but no luck going through the AVR. I'm next going to try a brand new HDMI cable and see if that affects it, even though when I swaped out the HDMI from my BD player it didn't do anything. It is all of about $3 from Monoprice, so why not try? Just waiting for it to arrive.

If that doesn't work I suppose I can bypass the AVR for video and use optical out to the AVR for audio, but that is not my preference, as I'll have to manually fiddle each time.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #8949 of 9330 Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 AM
585-645-1006

^^
What is the length of the cable from the 790 to the PJ and is it from Monoprice? If over 20' you may need to add an HDMI extender. Note it doesn't matter that it works when the cable is connected directly from the ATV to the PJ. And unless FlyinMN has the same exact PJ as you do, his ability to connect is moot as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8950 of 9330 Old 02-18-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:

^^
So this occurs regardless of whether the front panel reads DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 as well as when the PS3 decodes and the front panel reads "Mult CH IN"? Try swapping the center speaker with a front main to confirm it's not the center speaker. Also reset the microprocessor (p. 64) and run AUTO SETUP again.

Thanks jdsmoothie! I did the factory reset and it didn't help. I was almost certain that I was hearing sound effects fine through the center speaker and didn't think it could be the issue, but took your advice and sure enough, it sounded fine with one of my surrounds as the center. I re-ran the tests I had done previously with the center and I think I just wasn't noticing that even though the sound effects were playing, they were lower than they should be and it just wasn't as obvious as the dialogue.

So apparently the center just crapped out. Weird since I don't use the setup all that often and never at high volume. Although it's out of a Klipsch box set so not the greatest quality. Excuse to buy a good center I guess. Thanks again!
post #8951 of 9330 Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

I would be very grateful if anyone had any other ideas on what I might try to get my 790 to recognize the AppleTV 2.

Hi hanesian, maybe couple more suggestion. If possible try resetting ATV2 and if you recently purchase ATV2, return and exchange it.
post #8952 of 9330 Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your help JChin. I've already returned the ATV2 for a new one - twice in fact, as I originally assumed it was an ATV problem. I finally connected it directly to the PJ bypassing the AVR and realized it was not the ATV.

Thanks for your suggestion though. Frustrating problem.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #8953 of 9330 Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 AM
585-645-1006

^^
And your response to my previous post?

post #8954 of 9330 Old 02-19-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
And your response to my previous post?

Whoops! I completely missed it the first time.

Quote:

^^
What is the length of the cable from the 790 to the PJ and is it from Monoprice? If over 20' you may need to add an HDMI extender. Note it doesn't matter that it works when the cable is connected directly from the ATV to the PJ. And unless FlyinMN has the same exact PJ as you do, his ability to connect is moot as well.

My HDMI cable from the 790 to the PJ is 25 feet, so I guess that could be the issue. I'll order an extender and report back once I can test it.

Thanks jdsmoothie! Appreciate the help! AVS Forum is awesome!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #8955 of 9330 Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 AM

So here I am, posting for yet another AVR-1910 problem I'm having

I had my unit serviced in July '11 because it wasn't working anymore (details are in this thread, posted around 10th of June '11). They never told me what they found/fixed/replaced but I was happy the unit came back from the service and it worked just fine for a few months... then something really annoying started happening: I would turn the receiver on in the mornings and it would go straight into protection mode (red ring around standby button flashing green during power-up, then immediatelly flashing red) but I would turn it on in the evenings and it would just work! Normally this wouldn't bother me too much but it's really, really annoying during the week-ends, when I can only listen to music or watch TV after 4-5 PM... And it's driving me crazy since I can't even imagine what is the problem! I thought it might be some of the speaker wires leaking current (?) and I tried unplugging them from the receiver but it doesn't solve the problem - when it goes into protection in the morning it will go even after I disconnect the speakers (all of them). However, from time to time (I'd say every 1 out of 4-5 mornings) I would turn it on and it would just work! On the other hand it never went into protection after 4-5 PM in the evenings... does this ring any bells? It is certainly driving me crazy

Oh, and please don't suggest I take the receiver to the service station again - I don't live in the US and it's a *major* hassle to get the unit there, not to mention there is a chance the problem won't happen once there...
post #8956 of 9330 Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you have access to a power line monitor? I'm wondering if your problems may be due to electricity fluctuations.

Reading about such issues has made me forget about sending my 790 in for a FW upgrade and just consider myself fortunate that in almost all cases, mine works well.

post #8957 of 9330 Old 02-19-2012, 08:31 AM

Not sure if a Kill-a-Watt qualifies as a proper power line monitor, but that's what I have and I could use. I don't see the point though, as all my other electronic devices (and trust me, I have a lot of them) work perfectly fine, day in, day out...

I suspect air humidity may be somehow involved, although the specs in the user manual do not list any allowable range and the only possible cause the manual lists for going into the protection mode is temperature & ventilation... Well, my unit is on the flat top of my furniture, with nothing around or on top of it. I just checked the temperature and humidity using a thermometer+hygrometer and it's 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit) and 58% humidity. I find this very reasonable and it is pretty much constant throughout the day/night cycle (I checked it a lot lately).
post #8958 of 9330 Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Your environment is certainly within reasonable bounds (if not "ideal"). I only mentioned your electric power because in the old days, electronic equipment was very touchy about having clean power. Also I recall having one experience where a nearby transmitter was causing all kinds of wacky behavior. Just food for thought. Good luck!

post #8959 of 9330 Old 02-19-2012, 11:50 PM

Hi all

Hoping that someone might have an idea to help me with a dumb little issue which I am tearing my hair out over. I have a HTPC connected to my AVR-1910 via HDMI, I use the HTPC for everything, movies, PVR, music, etc.

Seemingly intermittantly, but usualy when I first use a particular application or player, I will get an extremely low audio level out of the reciever (I actualy thought I was getting no audio, but if i turn the volume WAY up, it is actualy there). If I "cycle" the surround mode from one mode to another (any which way - it doesnt matter), the audio returns as normal.

If I check the signal lights on the front of the reciever, or go into menu-information-audio input signal, the result is consistant (and expected), regardless of whether the "fault" is pressent or not.

Also, when the issue is present, if I open up the audio control panel on the HTPC, I can see the audio level graph/signal meter "bouncing" as normal; so its this that makes me think the issue is with the reciver, rather than in the HTPC.

I have tried the reciever in auto surround mode, and manual, and it makes no difference.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks heaps

Barry
post #8960 of 9330 Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 AM
585-645-1006

^^
A couple things to try would include replacing the cable connecting the HTPC to the AVR as well as doing a micrprocessor reset on the AVR (p. 64).

post #8961 of 9330 Old 02-20-2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks jdsmoothie

Will try that when I get home from work and report back.

Cheers

Barry
post #8962 of 9330 Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM

So I tried the Microprocessor reset; but with no sucess

I also had previously swapped HDMI cables as well.

Even though to my dumb thought process it appeared to be a receiver fault, a freind has suggested that I mess around with the Intel HD graphics & sound engine and drivers and try a few different versions to see if that has any effect.
post #8963 of 9330 Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 AM
585-645-1006

^^
It very well could be a source issue, although usually when it's a source issue there is no audio at all from the source. Also try connecting the HTPC to each of the other HDMI inputs on the 1910 to see if you get a different result as it could also be an issue with the HDMI input (or whole board).

post #8964 of 9330 Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM

Thank you for your quick reply jdsmoothie. I apologize for posting my issues in the wrong thread.

I used cables from monoprice. The old cable is also 15' long. So far, I have tried five different cables (two 15', two 6' and 1'cables) and none of them works. Only the old cable (15 ' long from monoprice) worked. I tried connecting the newer cables to the receiver hdmi inputs with the old cable connected to the output, and did not have any issues. Connecting the newer cables from the source (laptop, dvd) to the receiver inputs seems to work fine.

Here is my original post:
I purchased the Denon AVR1910 receiver three years ago, and I had no issues connecting the hdmi output to my monitor TV. Recently, I purchased a projector and I tried changing the Hdmi output connection. I used a new hdmi cable (15 ft long) but I could not get any signal to the projector. So, I tried connecting the receiver to my old TV using the new hdmi cable that is hdcp compliant. I got a flickering/blinking screen with green bue and red horizontal stripes. I tried three other hdmi cables (purchased at different stores at different times) and got the same result. Then I tried the original hdmi cable and the TV and the projector worked. I connected the new hdmi cables to the dvd inputs and I did not have any issues. Resetting the receiver and powering it on and off in sequence had no effect. Is this due to a faulty hdmi output on the receiver? The receiver works with my old hdmi cable but not with othe new ones I purchased. The new cables is certified to be hdcp compliant. Can someone please help resolve this issue?
post #8965 of 9330 Old 02-25-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^

Quote:

My HDMI cable from the 790 to the PJ is 25 feet, so I guess that could be the issue. I'll order an extender and report back once I can test it.

Thanks jdsmoothie! Appreciate the help! AVS Forum is awesome!

Well, I got that HDMI extender, but I'm afraid that didn't resolve my problem either. Still no video signal from the ATV2 unless I bypass the AVR and go directly from the PJ.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, if I can't fix this issue and I wanted to avoid physically swapping the HDMI out to the PJ between the AVR and the ATV2, do you think it would make most sense to get some sort of HDMI switch (since the 790 only has one HDMI out but he PJ has 2 HDMI inputs), or perhaps alternatively a HDMI to component adapter for video to the PJ (since the ATV2 can only output 720 anyway), with optical out to the AVR for audio?

Or maybe I'll just scrap the ATV altogether and try another cheap streamer.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #8966 of 9330 Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 PM

Hanes,
Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. I wonder if there is some HDMI software difference with your unit and the 1910 that is causing this problem. So strange, it seems you've eliminated everything but the receiver itself. Have you contacted Denon to see if they are aware of any issues?

By the way, I'm using a 50' HDMI cable from the 1910 to a Panasonic AE4000. It's not a high end cable either. It's this one from D Cables.

Scott
post #8967 of 9330 Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Well, I got that HDMI extender, but I'm afraid that didn't resolve my problem either. Still no video signal from the ATV2 unless I bypass the AVR and go directly from the PJ.

Did you connect the HDMI extender at the PJ end of the HDMI cable?

post #8968 of 9330 Old 02-26-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or maybe I'll just scrap the ATV altogether and try another cheap streamer.

That may be the best idea yet

post #8969 of 9330 Old 02-27-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinMN View Post

Hanes,
Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. I wonder if there is some HDMI software difference with your unit and the 1910 that is causing this problem. So strange, it seems you've eliminated everything but the receiver itself. Have you contacted Denon to see if they are aware of any issues?

Thanks Scott. Haven't contacted Denon yet. That might be the last thing I'll try before giving up.

Quote:

Did you connect the HDMI extender at the PJ end of the HDMI cable?

Yes, and I made sure the "source" end pointed towards the AVR and the "sink" end towards the PJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

That may be the best idea yet

Could be.

Even though I haven't managed to trouble shoot this issue to resolution, I appreciate everyone's help in the effort. At least I know I wasn't doing something obvious to screw things up - which, for me, is real progress!

Thanks guys!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #8970 of 9330 Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 AM

I have a Denon AVR 1910 7.1 receiver and am connecting it to my Panasonic Plasma TV via HDMI port. I am able to see the video on my TV however it's coming with visual noise / colored pixels all over the screen. In other words, certain pixels all over the screen are randomly colored distorting the screen. The number of pixels distorting the picture keep varying. This is what I've tried so far -
1. Replaced my HDMI cable. Tried two other cables. Still the issue persist. I've used those same HDMI cable to connect my Apple TV directly with TV and its works just fine. So the cables are ruled out.
2. Change the HDMI IN port of TV. My TV has 2 HDMI ports and I've tried both. Issue persists in both of them. So TV's ports has been ruled out.
3. My TV itself. Having connected Apple TV and XBOX directly to TV (instead through receiver), the same video appears just fine. So it's not a TV problem.

This leads me to believe the issue is with the HDMI out port of the receiver. But couldn't find any similar problem online for troubleshooting. I have attached two images - one with issue (input through receiver) and other normal one (directly to TV). Please help.

Tugga.
LL
LL
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page