post #8971 of 9350 Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Yes, and I made sure the "source" end pointed towards the AVR and the "sink" end towards the PJ.

Hi hanesian, I believe jdsmoothie was asking if the HDMI Extender is connected at the end of the HDMI cable run (at the PJ input and not at the beginning receiver output).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8972 of 9350 Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi hanesian, I believe jdsmoothie was asking if the HDMI Extender is connected at the end of the HDMI cable run (at the PJ input and not at the beginning receiver output).

Hi JChin. My response was intended to respond to that question that, yes, the extender was placed at the end of the HDMI next to the PJ, not at the receiver end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8973 of 9350 Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
^^
Which model extender did you buy? And if purchased from Monoprice, what did their tech suggest?

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8974 of 9350 Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuggawaugh View Post

I have a Denon AVR 1910 7.1 receiver and am connecting it to my Panasonic Plasma TV via HDMI port. I am able to see the video on my TV however it's coming with visual noise / colored pixels all over the screen. In other words, certain pixels all over the screen are randomly colored distorting the screen. The number of pixels distorting the picture keep varying. This is what I've tried so far -
1. Replaced my HDMI cable. Tried two other cables. Still the issue persist. I've used those same HDMI cable to connect my Apple TV directly with TV and its works just fine. So the cables are ruled out.
2. Change the HDMI IN port of TV. My TV has 2 HDMI ports and I've tried both. Issue persists in both of them. So TV's ports has been ruled out.
3. My TV itself. Having connected Apple TV and XBOX directly to TV (instead through receiver), the same video appears just fine. So it's not a TV problem.

This leads me to believe the issue is with the HDMI out port of the receiver. But couldn't find any similar problem online for troubleshooting. I have attached two images - one with issue (input through receiver) and other normal one (directly to TV). Please help.

Tugga.

Unless the HDMI cables came from different purchases, you may want to try picking up a new HDMI cable. Just because there's no issue with the sources connected to the TV doesn't necessarily rule out the cables as being the cause. You can also try setting the "i/p Scaler" setting to OFF. Otherwise, you could try resetting the microprocessor (p. 64).

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #8975 of 9350 Old 02-27-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Which model extender did you buy? And if purchased from Monoprice, what did their tech suggest?

Hi JD. I bought the extender you linked in your earlier post:

Quote:

^^
What is the length of the cable from the 790 to the PJ and is it from Monoprice? If over 20' you may need to add an HDMI extender. Note it doesn't matter that it works when the cable is connected directly from the ATV to the PJ. And unless FlyinMN has the same exact PJ as you do, his ability to connect is moot as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I have not spoken to any Monoprice tech for suggestions yet. All the times I've bought from Monoprice I've never spoken with anyone there - probably because I've never needed to. I'll try to follow up with them to see if they might offer any suggestions.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

post #8976 of 9350 Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like you may be able to wait for the ATV3. Rumors are that it will be refreshed along with the Ipad3 timing in March.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/29/...-apple-retail/

post #8977 of 9350 Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Unless the HDMI cables came from different purchases, you may want to try picking up a new HDMI cable. Just because there's no issue with the sources connected to the TV doesn't necessarily rule out the cables as being the cause. You can also try setting the "i/p Scaler" setting to OFF. Otherwise, you could try resetting the microprocessor (p. 64).

Hi JD,

Tried couple more HDMI and still faced the issue.
Then tried your suggestion of turning off 'i/p scaler' off, and it worked perfectly. dots / pixels are gone. Thanks. Wow, couldn't believe the solution was so simple for something i've been wrestling with this long. Even the Denon Customer Service couldn't figure it out and didn't recommend me this solution.

A quick Q - Does this mean my unit is defective? I gather the i/p scaler function is used to scale analog-to-HDMI. But irrespective of my inputs (component, RCA, HDMI), i used to see the dots when my output was HDMI.
Is there something i should be aware of or turn it on in certain scenarios?

Thanks a ton again.

Tugga.
post #8978 of 9350 Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
585-645-1006

^^
No, it doesn't necessarily mean the unit is defective .... rather it's just not reacting well with your particular devices. The is used to upscale both analog and HDMI inputs, although likely isn't doing any better a job then does your TV (ie. when is set to OFF). Your choice whether you want to try to have warranty repair work done.

"JD" –

post #8979 of 9350 Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 PM

I have been searching on the internet how to hook up my new iMac to the Denon AVR-1909 to get 5.1 sound. I have found that I could use a mini-TOSlink to optical cable from the headphone jack to the receiver. However, I am not sure how to use the menu settings in order for it to work correctly. Can someone give me directions how this is done?

David
post #8980 of 9350 Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Should be no different than connecting any other optical source ... either use the default names TV/CBL (OPT1) or VCR (OPT2) or assign the input to another source name (p. 42).

Also note you posted in the 1910 thread vice the 1909 thread.

"JD" –

post #8981 of 9350 Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 PM

I need help in procuring a replacement HDMI board for my Denon AVR 1910. I am not sure of the part number I need to procure. Details below:

I had purchased the receiver about 2.5 years back in India. I stopped getting video output through the HDMI output port suddenly a few days back. I am told by a local service center that I would have to replace the HDMI board. Since that would cost me quite a bit ($400 for the replacement board vs. $720 I had paid for the receiver earlier!) I am considering procuring the board through other means (e.g., used boards from eBay - I could find 2 or 3 listings).

Now the question I have is this: I am not sure of the part number. I see references to two part numbers: The first is 7020-06809-000-0s which was given to me by the service center. The second is 963189003440D which I found through searches. The latter is referred to as "Denon 963189003440D Hdmi Pwb Assy Avr1910/790" by several parts stores.

Q1. Are these two parts the same?
Q2. If the HDMI Out port is not working what part should be changed?

Thanks,
Sankar
post #8982 of 9350 Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM

This past Christmas , I had Dish network tech replace Sat receiver. Ever since my 790 has been screwed up. Was working fine before. My inputs are mixed up- DVD playing on SAT\\Cable and Sat|Cable not sending audio through speaker system. Question would switching to a new Sat box mess up input assign? Also I have not been able to get OSD to display , so I can check Amp assigns.
to get OSD , HDMI from AVR 790 to HDMI-1 on TV correct?
After I saw that the Dish Tech was clueless he had already messed with the Denon remote, so probably I need to "Reset Microprocessor p.64 in manual"
Recently got new TV also. My setup Panny TC-P60ST30. Panny DMP BD85, Dish VIP 222K, AVR 790. Energy Take classic 5.1
I just need basic set-up Sat box and DVD no games. I used BPigs setup at first, but guess i kinda forgot how it all works Thanks in advance for your help. Teachtom
post #8983 of 9350 Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Hard to know what you've done ... so best to just reset the microprocessor and run AUTO SETUP again.

"JD" –

post #8984 of 9350 Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks JD for your help. I never thought replacing a Sat receiver could cause a problem. So when I reset the AVR is will all go back to factory default settings , correct?
post #8985 of 9350 Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsankar View Post

I need help in procuring a replacement HDMI board for my Denon AVR 1910. I am not sure of the part number I need to procure. Details below:

I had purchased the receiver about 2.5 years back in India. I stopped getting video output through the HDMI output port suddenly a few days back. I am told by a local service center that I would have to replace the HDMI board. Since that would cost me quite a bit ($400 for the replacement board vs. $720 I had paid for the receiver earlier!) I am considering procuring the board through other means (e.g., used boards from eBay - I could find 2 or 3 listings).

Now the question I have is this: I am not sure of the part number. I see references to two part numbers: The first is 7020-06809-000-0s which was given to me by the service center. The second is 963189003440D which I found through searches. The latter is referred to as "Denon 963189003440D Hdmi Pwb Assy Avr1910/790" by several parts stores.

Q1. Are these two parts the same?
Q2. If the HDMI Out port is not working what part should be changed?

Thanks,
Sankar

Same thing for me - I had a 3 year old 1909 and the video dropped one day. I called the local authorized service center. The guy told me that he'd love to take my $85 diagnostic service charge, but he's seen the problem so often with Denon and Onkyo that it would be a waste of time and money. He also quoted me $400 for and hdmi board. I bought a pioneer vsx-1121 on black friday for $399 and have loved it ever since. It sounds sooooo much better than then Denon ever did.

Something to consider.....
post #8986 of 9350 Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlnixon View Post

Thanks JD for your help. I never thought replacing a Sat receiver could cause a problem. So when I reset the AVR is will all go back to factory default settings , correct?

Correct, which is why you must run AUTO SETUP again.

"JD" –

post #8987 of 9350 Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Hi,

I recently bought a BDP-93 OPPO player and hooked it up with my AVR 1910. Only the audio goes to the 1910, the video is directly tied to a samsung HD plasma. All connections are HDMI with recent HDMI cable (good for 1080p / 3D).

I set up the audio output of the oppo on bitstream and the AVR1910 input setup to "Auto" and this is what I got:

As long as the movie is not started (menu, movie trailers), the sound is ok, but no HD (the receiver displays Dolby D). when it gets to the movie, the HD blue lights is on, the receiver shows DTS HD MA, but there is no sound. Actually, I can hear the audio if I bump the volume from -15db to the max (+12?).

If I go back to the oppo and set the audio format to LPCM, the sound is back to normal. The receiver says "Multi In" , the blue light is off.

I tried to reset the processor, switch inputs, no luck. I know that other people have had a similar problem before, but I could never find if there was a solution.

Any idea??

Michel
post #8988 of 9350 Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
this is a known bug with the xx10 models. Unfortunately the only fix is to (1) take it a service center for a firmware update or (2) just let the Oppo decode to PCM.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8989 of 9350 Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM

I'm going to look for a service center in my area and hope it's not costing me an arm and a leg

Thanks again

Michel
post #8990 of 9350 Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Setting the Oppo to PCM is really the easiest solution with no difference in audio quality (just no blue light); however, if you still want to take it in for the firmware update, say you want the "Star Wars - The Complete Saga" update which "should" get you the update free of charge otherwise a service center is likely to charge their hourly labor rate of roughly $75 even though the update only takes a few minutes.

"JD" –

post #8991 of 9350 Old 03-19-2012, 04:11 PM

All,

I have the 1910 and cannot figure out how to get the SW to play in Stereo or 5-Channel Stereo. The SW works fine with digital signals from the satellite, BluRay and DVD's but not for music played via the V. Aux directly from the headphone jack of the iPhone. Likewise any mode via the AppleTV only outputs to the smaller speakers in stereo or 5-channel stereo but never to the SW.

Page 44 of the manual states:

"4 Stereo Playback This is the mode for playing in stereo. The tone can be adjusted. Sound is output from the front left and right speakers and subwoofer"

Is there some other setting that needs to be applied?

Thanks,

Bill
post #8992 of 9350 Old 03-19-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

you need to either (1) set FR/FL speakers to SMALL (which will re-route low bass to the sub) or (2) set sub mode to LFE+MAIN (which will send duplicate or "double bass" to the sub)

stereo music does not have a dedicated "LFE channel" so the sub will only play if you activate bass management. Option (1) is the preferred method.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8993 of 9350 Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 AM

It worked just great!

Now the question of crossover settings...

The fronts are Mission 762's which are a bass reflex 2-way bookshelf speaker with drivers that are somewhere between 6" and 8", closer to 6". They are awesome and do quite well as a standalone stereo pair.

I now have the SW set at 80hz so should the Missions be set at 80hz as well, or something lower like 60hz to reflect the fact that they are truly capable of 60 hz (actually lower in reality)?

Thanks,

Bill
post #8994 of 9350 Old 03-20-2012, 06:09 AM
585-645-1006

^^
What did the 1910 set them to after running AUTO SETUP? Raise any set below 80hz up to either 60hz or 80hz and leave any set above 80hz alone.

"JD" –

post #8995 of 9350 Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the reply...

The auto-setup procedure was run with the fronts set as "large"; the crossover values for the 2 fronts and center were set as "Custom" by the procedure, each with values of 80hz, so I set them all to 60hz. I kept the SW crossover to the lowest I could set which was 80hz.

Current settings:

SW - 80hz
LF - 60hz
C - 60hz
RF - 60hz

Just wondering about the 20hz "gap" between the SW and the others - I probably expected to be able to set them all the same so they'd all cross over at the same frequency.

At any rate the setup sounds very nice now that the SW is on so perhaps I am close to optimal.

Thanks,

Bill
post #8996 of 9350 Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The subwoofer setting is a LPF setting so should be raised up to 120hz to allow the full LFE signal to pass. Also ensure the front mains are reset to SMALL.

"JD" –

post #8997 of 9350 Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleysislander View Post

I kept the SW crossover to the lowest I could set which was 80hz.

Just wondering about the 20hz "gap" between the SW and the others

the sub setting is NOT a crossover. It only affects the upper limit (low pass filter or LPF) of the LFE channel, which is the "point 1" in 5.1 or 7.1 signals.

the speaker settings are the crossovers for redirected bass.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8998 of 9350 Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 AM

I got a 3D Sumsung Plasma last year and was disappointed to find out my 790 was not capable of sending 3D signal through.

I am looking at the new models 1612-2312 and seems that the new units are not as good as the old when it comes to options included for the Price. The 790 has upscaling conversion more inputs for legacy devices and features for the price I paid 2 years ago $349.00.

It seems like I would have to go to the 2312 $600-849,00 to get about the same connections fo legacy and add 3D plus better sound and more HDMI connections.

I would like help in others that may have upgraded their 790 due to 3D needs and what you went with. Any suggestions on saving me the cost of the 2312 we be appreciated. I would be willing to try something than Denon but I have not heard of anything better for the price.

Thanks Brian
post #8999 of 9350 Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 PM
585-645-1006

^^
It's very likely the TV actually does as good or better a job of upscaling than would the video chip in an AVR. Another option is to simply keep the 790 and either upgrade the BDP to a dual HDMI 1.4 BDP or connect HDMI from your current BDP to the TV with optical from the BDP to the 790 with no real loss in audio quality.

"JD" –

post #9000 of 9350 Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks and I should have included what is currently hooked up to the 790.

PS3 player for games and Movies ( although have to hook direct to TV for 3D)
Old Xbox - No hdmi
Wii system No HDMI
Acer Revo 3700 HDMI
Kenwood surround speakers 5.1

I really would like to get the one Cable setup to the TV and have the Reciver do all the switching. Plus I told a friend he could buy my 790 as I would be upgrading for the 3D support. Ill sell him the 790 for probably $150.00 so I have some room to upgrade to a new AVR.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread - Avr1910 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page