Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 9339 Old 07-16-2009, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes. In the Input Setup for Digital select the Coax or Toslink jack you are using. Now since you are not receiving audio over HDMI it may work with just that setting alone, although if not, then select INPUT MODE (on the back of the remote) and press it until it says DIGITAL on the front panel display.

Thanks jdsmoothie. I was guessing it was possible however....

I decided to order the top of the line ATI graphics card today that should do up to 7.1 audio and video via HDMI to simplify the setup and probably give me superior video as well.

By the way - who is the impersonator/stalker?????

MichaelO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 9339 Old 07-16-2009, 04:46 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
Although the new card will certainly make it easier for switching, more importantly it will allow you to play HD codecs from the HTPC if you have a blu-ray player!

No clue as to who "jr" is ....

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #903 of 9339 Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 View Post

I responded before your response was posted.
....One other note, I will use the Audyssey, however I have not installed the rear speakers yet...Greg

I posted at 8am and you answered tomuch @ noon so I thought you might have missed it. On my browser (and I think this is common) the thread will not refresh on its own, ie new posts are not added unless I hit refresh. I also have to remind myself to "Preview Post" and scroll down to check for recent additions before I "Submit Reply".

BTW you can run Audyssey for whatever speakers you have hooked up, then rerun after adding more. I'm looking forweard to your report on how it sounds when done.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #904 of 9339 Old 07-16-2009, 06:10 PM

Bump.
post #905 of 9339 Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
All righty then .. here's the thing Keyser ... "bump" is used immediately after a post that has not been responded to in awhile such that it goes to the head of the line in that particular thread. However, in your case your post was on the previous page with a number of posts in between.

Here's the OTHER thing ... as one of the guys most likely to answer your question, BP told you your first post didn't make any sense and your second post was no help either. If you want a response to your post, try and describe your issue in more detail and clarity. Thanks.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #906 of 9339 Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have hidden my subwoofer in the stereo cabinet, but its lying on the floor. I was told I could hide the SW. It sometimes rattles the surrounding, but not to a big extense.

Do I need to take the SW out of the cabinet and lie it near or back of the tv. Or leave it there. tia

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PREVIOUSLY:    TH46PZ80
PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakers
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #907 of 9339 Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

I posted at 8am and you answered tomuch @ noon so I thought you might have missed it. On my browser (and I think this is common) the thread will not refresh on its own, ie new posts are not added unless I hit refresh. I also have to remind myself to "Preview Post" and scroll down to check for recent additions before I "Submit Reply".

BTW you can run Audyssey for whatever speakers you have hooked up, then rerun after adding more. I'm looking forweard to your report on how it sounds when done.

You are right, I tend to leave the page open on the screen.

I think I have done that about 1000 times but still forget.

I may try the audyssey otherwise I will wait for the son-in-law.

BTW, the remote slide button for other components is a real pain.
I am now working on that.
No matter what I do I will need two remotes unless I buy a harmony like I have in the main video room.

I have a Directv RF so I will keep that for the TV and Directv and use the Denon for the ON/Off and volume.

My wife uses this TV a lot and she does not like the harmony.
She likes the Directv remote that she can see all the DVR buttons easily.

Greg
post #908 of 9339 Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 PM

if any of you are going to call electronics-expo to request that they e-mail you a tracking number for your 1910, you may want to check your spam box first in case your filter thinks someone is trying to tell you all about electronic sex...

took three calls before it hit me...
post #909 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 06:34 AM

I finally got an email today with tracking for my 1910 I ordered Monday. It's supposed to come in today but it looks like it needs a signature and I am not home today.
post #910 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 AM

I also got my shipping notice of a Tues. delivery of the 1910 I ordered fm. EE last Tues. - so far, so good.
post #911 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmeyer View Post

I also got my shipping notice of a Tues. delivery of the 1910 I ordered fm. EE last Tues. - so far, so good.

Ditto. Got my shipping conf. from EE today.
post #912 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 AM

My 1910 from EE is on the delivery truck out for delivery right now!

Don't have all my speakers yet though only the center channel. Will I have to sit and stare at the box till I get the rest of the speakers or can I at least run my Comcast HD DVR and my DVD player through the receiver to the TV to enjoy the upconversion on standard def channels? I guess I'll get sound through the TV speakers too since I will use HDMI.

Guess my question really is can a receiver be run with just center and then later with just center plus 2 fronts and finally with 5.0 since I'm not getting a sub right away? Is there something special I need to do in the settings to turn the unused amps off - worried about damaging the receiver if the speaker loads are not connected ...
post #913 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 AM

Ok thanks to all of you on this thread i got me the 1910 ..... my question to all you denon experts is what should i sell my avr-2803 for.... i know no talking price, but since it is an older model it should not cause a problem.. is it worth $175 or not.

Thanks
post #914 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
I would say a 2803 is worth around $150-ish on the used market, if you are going to post it on craigslist I'd put it out as "$200 or best offer" and accept any offer over $150.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #915 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprs123 View Post

Guess my question really is can a receiver be run with just center and then later with just center plus 2 fronts and finally with 5.0 since I'm not getting a sub right away? Is there something special I need to do in the settings to turn the unused amps off - worried about damaging the receiver if the speaker loads are not connected ...

you won't damage anything, just don't attach any speaker wire to the unused channels.

the "Front" channels will always be on, you can't turn them off, but you should at least be able to hear dialogue for the time being from your center channel. if you don't hear anything put it in "5CH STEREO" mode which will mix everything in-phase from L/R into the center channel, so it should steer all the major dialogue and effects to the center.

there is nothing wrong at all with running 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 5.0, etc. They will all work just fine.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #916 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 10:35 AM

I'm upgrading from a Sony 5.1 receiver to a Denon avr-1910 and my 1910 is 4 days away. I would be interested in batpig's opinion (and other's opinions) on how good a 5.1 movie sounds on a 7.1 system with the 2 simulated channels created by a Denon receiver. Since most movies are 5.1, the receiver must create 2 additional (back?) channels (or I guess it could just ignore those 2 speakers).
I have the 2 extra speakers, but can't decide if it's worth the effort of getting in the (hot) attic to hook them up if the improvement is minimal.
post #917 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have no opinion as I only run 5.1.... however, as always I can happily regurgitate the opinions of others!

From what I've seen, people's opinions on 7.1 generally range from "I don't hear much difference" to "I really enjoy the extra sense of spaciousness/envelopment". I haven't heard many people claiming it makes a dramatic difference.

Whether you prefer the 7.1 setup (with PLIIx matrixing the rear surrounds from 5.1 material) will depend on (1) personal preference and (2) how big your room is.

If you don't have enough room (several feet at least) behind the seating area to install the rear speakers, it's probably not worth the trouble; most everyone agrees what a well-implemented 5.1 will sound much better than "forcing" a sub-optimal 7.1 setup into a room that can't handle it. If your room doesn't have a lot of space behind the seating area, you may prefer using those two extra channels for "height" speakers (instead of "rear" speakers).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #918 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 AM

batpig - thanks for detailed opinion. I may wait until more movies have the 7.1 tracks, and my attic cools off.
BTW, the material on your web site is priceless - I will be referring to it bigtime during the setup of my new 1910. Me and my Panasonic BD-50/Pioneer 60" Kuro thank you.
post #919 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

I'm upgrading from a Sony 5.1 receiver to a Denon avr-1910 and my 1910 is 4 days away. I would be interested in batpig's opinion (and other's opinions) on how good a 5.1 movie sounds on a 7.1 system with the 2 simulated channels created by a Denon receiver. Since most movies are 5.1, the receiver must create 2 additional (back?) channels (or I guess it could just ignore those 2 speakers).
I have the 2 extra speakers, but can't decide if it's worth the effort of getting in the (hot) attic to hook them up if the improvement is minimal.

Here is a little known secret. There is no such thing as 7.1. All movie soundtracks are recorded as 5.1 and any more channels are derived in the mixing studio much like PL2x does in your AVR.
post #920 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenwalder View Post

Thanks jdsmoothie. I was guessing it was possible however....

I decided to order the top of the line ATI graphics card today that should do up to 7.1 audio and video via HDMI to simplify the setup and probably give me superior video as well.

By the way - who is the impersonator/stalker?????

ahhahah. Let me give you a clue. I have commented in this thread under my real/normal account multiple times!
post #921 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 04:52 PM

I just made it home in time today for the UPS guy to drop off my 1910 that I got for a steal from EE and am planning on hooking it up tonight. Quick question that I know has been asked before for hopefully someone can answer to save me from searching.

Can the 1910 take HDMI from the cable box and convert over to component to the tv? It will be a couple months before I get my new plasma and the old tv only has component for HD, no hdmi. Thanks.
post #922 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

no. due to HDMI copyright restrictions no receiver will "downconvert" HDMI video inputs to component video output.

see the signal flow chart on pg 9 of the manual -- the only video conversion is analog > HDMI.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #923 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 06:00 PM

Thanks Batpig, just saw that skimming through the manual. I already got your manual printed out and reading it now. Thanks!!!
post #924 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothei View Post

ahhahah. Let me give you a clue. I have commented in this thread under my real/normal account multiple times!

What a sad waste of one's time...
post #925 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 09:20 PM

I currently have an older VSX-516 and while it does all I need from an A/V I do not like having to always up/down the volume due to the louder sections in a movie or the quieter ones when its not loud enough for the audio.

So I've been looking for a new A/V and have 3 in mind.

VSX-919AH-k. The cheapest of the 3 but I am will to pay more to get what i want.
"Pioneer's ALC technology equalizes the fluctuating volume levels that can occur with digital audio tracks and other input sources resulting in a richer user experience that alleviates the need to manually adjust the volume." Sounds good .. is it so?

AVR-790. This has the most feed back on this issue i've found and it sounds good. The Audyssey stuff

TX-SR607B. Has Audyssey too but I've found little about this amp in total

Anyone with thoughts about these or this issue in general?

thx
post #926 of 9339 Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM

Batpig, i was hoping you could clarify something for me. this is from your wonderful site;

"If you have set everything up correctly with the PS3, the display of the Denon will read "MULTI CH IN" indicating that it is getting decoded, multichannel PCM audio from the PS3 (note that if you are running a 7.1 setup it may say "MULTI CH IN + PLIIx" meaning that the receiver is matrixing 7.1 from 5.1). "

i am using 7.1 and it does say multi ch in but it it does night display "PLIIx", is there any way to force it into this mode? btw, thanks for all you help, i just bought the 790 today and setting it up was much easier with your help!
post #927 of 9339 Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:

I think adding the 2 surround backs really created a new sound dimension in my setup. Even my G.F. noticed a difference and she's not really into it, yet I catch her turning around to check the back of the room alot as if something's back there. I agree with Batpig that you need some space behind your seating to get a ways back. You must be able to create a seperate sound field than from your surrounds (which should be even with your seating, not in the middle like some think). But i don't think you have to go quit that far back, mine are about 3 ft back and 1 ft higher and definately achieve good separation. I actually stumbled onto a cheap matching pair of surrounds and already had a 7.1 receiver and thought i would prove to myself 7 or 6.1 wasn't necessary, was i wrong! I wouldn't go back and I can't wait til receivers are capable of 9.1 come around so i can enjoy surround backs and front presense at the same time. If your room is right for it, i recommend it.
post #928 of 9339 Old 07-18-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Here is a little known secret. There is no such thing as 7.1. All movie soundtracks are recorded as 5.1 and any more channels are derived in the mixing studio much like PL2x does in your AVR.

There are some bluray discs with 7.1 soundtracks on them. Im watching Shoot Em Up right now in multi channel 7.1, nothing is being matrixed. And honestly, when i use a 5.1 disc both my receivers do a fine job simulating the sound
post #929 of 9339 Old 07-18-2009, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james View Post

Batpig, i was hoping you could clarify something for me. this is from your wonderful site;

"If you have set everything up correctly with the PS3, the display of the Denon will read "MULTI CH IN" indicating that it is getting decoded, multichannel PCM audio from the PS3 (note that if you are running a 7.1 setup it may say "MULTI CH IN + PLIIx" meaning that the receiver is matrixing 7.1 from 5.1). "

i am using 7.1 and it does say multi ch in but it it does night display "PLIIx", is there any way to force it into this mode?

well, is the input signal already 7.1? PLIIx is a used to matrix 5.1 > 7.1, but if the input signal is already 7.1 then it isn't needed!

one of the biggest things to understand is that what the display says depends on the relationship between the input signal (the input) and the surround mode (the output). 7.1 > 7.1 needs no extra processing so you would never see "+ PLIIx" on the display with a 7.1 source input.

you can check the input signal by hitting the "Status" button on the unit and reading the display, or by going to the OSD and then "Information > Audio Input Signal." (pg 48 of the manual) If it says "3/2/.1" that indicates a 5.1 input; if it says "3/4/.1" it is a 7.1 input.

OK, all that being said... if the signal is indeed 5.1 then you can hit the "Standard" button which will turn any 5.1 surround mode into "plus PLIIx" on the display. Or hit "Cinema" or "Music" to directly engage "PLIIx Cinema" or "Music" modes.

You can also set this manually in the Surround Parameter menu under the "Surround Back" parameter (see pg 45 of the manual). Set it to "PLIIx Cinema" and it will automatically use PLIIx on 5.1 signals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Quote:

There are some bluray discs with 7.1 soundtracks on them.

What Gary was referring to is that all movies are originally recorded and mastered in 5.1. When they mix a 7.1 track for a Blu-Ray, they are taking the 5.1 studio master and matrixing the rear channels, and then re-encode it as a 7.1 mix on the disc. His point was that what they are doing is simply a fancier way of what you can do it home with PLIIx.

Now, admittedly, the mixing engineer in a studio with sophisticated gear will probably create a better 7.1 mix. But it's still just matrixed 5.1> 7.1 So, the broader point is that when you realize there is no such thing as a "true" 7.1 you don't really get hung up over whether the movie has a 5.1 track or a 7.1 track.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #930 of 9339 Old 07-18-2009, 01:19 AM

Batpig, in your very helpful DENON FAQ, you write the following (emphasis added):

"Unfortunately, however, there is one major hangup with newer Denon models - you cannot use the Video Select function with any HDMI sources!! This is a pretty big bummer, and is one of the (many) reasons it is probably better to leave your cable box hooked up via component video + digital audio as opposed to HDMI. You cannot mix the audio and/or video from ANY HDMI source using Video Select at all."

What are some of the other reasons for leaving a cable box (or DVR, I presume) hooked up via component + digital audio?

Does it reduce the audio lag that occurs when you change channels?

One downside that occurs to me is that the component + digital audio route would not permit audio and video to pass through to tv when the 1910 is on standby. Normal, humdrum television is about the ONLY thing I would want to listen to through my plasma display's built-in speakers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page