*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1910/790 Owner's Thread - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #9481 of 9506 Old 12-30-2016, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
trayson,

Verify that the Harmony is programmed to use the Denon to control volumn on the HDP input.

avs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 9506 Old 12-30-2016, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No reason it shouldn't work. Try swapping with one of the HDMI jacks that does work on the AVR.

I guess I've never tried a different HDMI input. I honestly don't know if the Harmony would be successful controlling volume on a different HDMI input because I've never tried. I only have the one HDMI source, so the only inputs that Harmony has controlled volume correctly on are ones that are coming in from either optical or RCA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by av-novice View Post
trayson,

Verify that the Harmony is programmed to use the Denon to control volumn on the HDP input.

avs
Yeah, that would be a pretty basic and common setup error. I'm almost positive that I have it setup to have the volume controlled by the Denon, but I'll certainly double check.
post #9483 of 9506 Old 12-30-2016, 06:04 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by av-novice View Post
trayson,

avs
So I have tried and tried again to make this work with no success until tonight. What I realized tonight trying to verify that the "denon controls volume" is that it NEVER gave me that choice on the activity that I used to set things up.

So tonight I setup a new activity (play DVD Movies) and sure enough there was an option to have "volume controlled by Denon" that never popped up on the previous attempts with a different Harmony activity.

Sure enough, that worked. The volume now works on the Harmony. I falsely assumed that the differentiating factor was that the audio was going through HDMI, but the differentiating factor was really choosing the wrong Harmony activity.

Thanks so much for making me dig deeper and ultimately find the solution.

post #9484 of 9506 Old 12-31-2016, 11:53 AM

Glad it's working.

avn
post #9485 of 9506 Old 01-21-2017, 04:04 PM

Liked: 0
Hi all

New member here, just picked up a avr1910 from eBay, and this seemed like a good forum to start on!

Im looking for a bit of advice on a very simple setup.
All I have is a
Samsung UE40D5520 TV
2 speakers (Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's)
Sky+ box
Blu Ray player
Chromecast
Chromecast Audio

So I'm obviously not looking for a full on surround sound setup! (For the time being)

Basically I wanted a way to listen to my Chromecast Audio, but thought I may as well use the speakers for movies etc too if I can.
I realise this amp is an overkill, but hoping it will do for now.

Questions...
1 - I have the set up mic, but I'm guessing there's no point in using that really? Just turn all speakers off other than fronts and leave at default distances?

2-Don't think my TV does HDMI arc so I think I need to run optical from TV optical out to amp optical in, to get sound from the apps on the TV?

3- I think I need to use Pure Audio amp setting for the Chromecast audio, is there anyway that I can get an input (eg CD) to default to pure audio automatically?

4- more to come when I attempt to set it all up!

Thanks in advance!
post #9486 of 9506 Old 01-21-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12579 Post(s)
Liked: 5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil001 View Post
Hi all

New member here, just picked up a avr1910 from eBay, and this seemed like a good forum to start on!

Im looking for a bit of advice on a very simple setup.
All I have is a
Samsung UE40D5520 TV
2 speakers (Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's)
Sky+ box
Blu Ray player
Chromecast
Chromecast Audio

So I'm obviously not looking for a full on surround sound setup! (For the time being)

Basically I wanted a way to listen to my Chromecast Audio, but thought I may as well use the speakers for movies etc too if I can.
I realise this amp is an overkill, but hoping it will do for now.

Questions...
1 - I have the set up mic, but I'm guessing there's no point in using that really? Just turn all speakers off other than fronts and leave at default distances?

2-Don't think my TV does HDMI arc so I think I need to run optical from TV optical out to amp optical in, to get sound from the apps on the TV?

3- I think I need to use Pure Audio amp setting for the Chromecast audio, is there anyway that I can get an input (eg CD) to default to pure audio automatically?

4- more to come when I attempt to set it all up!

Thanks in advance!

These are very inefficient speakers, so limit the max volume level, otherwise the AVR could shut down in protection mode.

1. Run Audyssey.
2. Don't know about the TV, but the 1910 doesn't do ARC so you'll have to use the optical cable from the TV --> AVR.
3. Why? Run Audyssey and use STEREO mode.
Phil001 likes this.
post #9487 of 9506 Old 01-22-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
These are very inefficient speakers, so limit the max volume level, otherwise the AVR could shut down in protection mode.

1. Run Audyssey.
2. Don't know about the TV, but the 1910 doesn't do ARC so you'll have to use the optical cable from the TV --> AVR.
3. Why? Run Audyssey and use STEREO mode.
Thanks for the reply.

Inefficient - meaning lots of input= not much output? Wasn't aware of that.

In the manual, pure direct mode states
"This is the mode that recreates the original sound most faithfully,
providing extremely high quality sound."

Seemed like that would be the best option for music?

Thanks again
post #9488 of 9506 Old 01-22-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Inefficient - meaning lots of input= not much output? Wasn't aware of that.

In the manual, pure direct mode states
"This is the mode that recreates the original sound most faithfully,
providing extremely high quality sound."

Seemed like that would be the best option for music?

Thanks again
Personal preference. Some prefer using Audyssey while others may prefer using DIRECT/PURE DIRECT which disables Audyssey and all bass management.
Phil001 likes this.
post #9489 of 9506 Old 01-22-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Personal preference. Some prefer using Audyssey while others may prefer using DIRECT/PURE DIRECT which disables Audyssey and all bass management.
Ok thanks again.

I'll run Audessy when kids are in bed and all is quieter tonight!

Not sure I need to worry about 90℅ of the functions/buttons on the remote but I've got some reading to do

As you can no doubt tell , this is my first AV reciever
post #9490 of 9506 Old 01-22-2017, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all,
i ve a problem with my avr-1910, it only works in stereo (D/ST) or PURE mode (for example with tuner) but when I press STD, CINEMA or MUSIC I don't hear anything
Is it broken? Pls help me...

Thanks,
Marko
post #9491 of 9506 Old 01-23-2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMagoAlex View Post
Hi all,
i ve a problem with my avr-1910, it only works in stereo (D/ST) or PURE mode (for example with tuner) but when I press STD, CINEMA or MUSIC I don't hear anything
Is it broken? Pls help me...

Thanks,
Marko
What is the source audio? What is your setup (eg. 5.1)? First do a "soft reset" by simply powering off and unplugging the AVR's power cord for 10 minutes and try again. If still no joy, do a microprocessor reset (p. 64 Owner's manual) which will result in all settings being restored to factory default so you'll have to run Audyssey again.
post #9492 of 9506 Old 01-23-2017, 04:31 AM

Ok, may not even be denon related but I have another question...

If I set my sky+ box to output Dolby digital via hdmi, then the denon seems to cope with it fine.
However if the denon is in standby, and I'm watching sky (HDMI passing through receiver) then there is no audio on the TV speakers. Also, even if I miss out the denon, and connect sky to TV direct, still no audio if HDMI is set to Dolby digital on sky box settings.

I read somewhere that TV's can't output sound recieved in Dolby Digital from HDMI, is that true?
Is there even any advantage of using Dolby Digital instead of stereo on a 2 speakers setup?
If it is worth doing then I guess if have to send the Dolby via optical to the receiver?

Cheers!
post #9493 of 9506 Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Ok, may not even be denon related but I have another question...

If I set my sky+ box to output Dolby digital via hdmi, then the denon seems to cope with it fine.
However if the denon is in standby, and I'm watching sky (HDMI passing through receiver) then there is no audio on the TV speakers. Also, even if I miss out the denon, and connect sky to TV direct, still no audio if HDMI is set to Dolby digital on sky box settings.

I read somewhere that TV's can't output sound recieved in Dolby Digital from HDMI, is that true?
Is there even any advantage of using Dolby Digital instead of stereo on a 2 speakers setup?
If it is worth doing then I guess if have to send the Dolby via optical to the receiver?

Cheers!
Some TVs can while others cannot. Yours apparently cannot. No advantage on a 2 speaker setup unless you have a sub.
Phil001 likes this.
post #9494 of 9506 Old 01-24-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Some TVs can while others cannot. Yours apparently cannot. No advantage on a 2 speaker setup unless you have a sub.
Morning all
Thank you for previous responses

I have another area to query 
HDMI pass through / switching when the Denon is in standby, seems to be acting strange…
I have HDMI Control ON, on all devices (Denon, TV, Sky+, Bluray)

Firstly, the manual states that you need to specify which HDMI source is passed through to the TV when the Denon is in standby (or choose ‘last’)
However, when in standby, it will switch to whichever HDMI input is active anyway (as it does when the receiver is ON), so what is the point in this setting?

Secondly, prior to having the Denon, the sky+ box connect direct to TV, all we did to turn everything on was press the ‘SKY’ button on the sky remote.
This turns the sky box on and must send a HDMI signal to the TV to turn it on.

When the Denon is connected and in standby, the ‘SKY’ button still switches sky box and TV on, and Sky output is displayed on tv.
However, after approx. 5-10 seconds the screen goes blank – no signal.
Can’t work out what is being passed to the TV though, it’s just a blank screen.
I think the Denon switches to a different / unused input, maybe due to receiving a HDMI signal from the TV? Not sure what is going on.
If I turn on TV on its own, allow it to fully come on, then turn sky box on, all is ok.

Any ideas at all?!
Pressing SKY again seems to sort it out (after a few seconds thinking time)

Thanks

Let me know if this should be posted elsewhere
post #9495 of 9506 Old 01-24-2017, 03:13 AM

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...ned-on-316091/

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...ically-569522/

seems to be like this problem

Maybe i need to connect Sky box direct to TV, and take audio via optical to the Denon.
Still not sure though, wouldn't that mean i get audio from both TV speakers and Denon at the same time, and lose the HDMI audio control going to Denon?

my heads not coping
post #9496 of 9506 Old 01-24-2017, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
What is the source audio? What is your setup (eg. 5.1)? First do a "soft reset" by simply powering off and unplugging the AVR's power cord for 10 minutes and try again. If still no joy, do a microprocessor reset (p. 64 Owner's manual) which will result in all settings being restored to factory default so you'll have to run Audyssey again.
Hi, thanks for reply!
Tuner is the source, and my setup is 5.1.
I already done soft reset, then I opened my AVR and I clean it with compressed air but the result is always the same It works only in stereo/Pure mode.
Do u think is it possible that the Dolby ProLogic processor is broken?
And also the HDMI output doesn't work
post #9497 of 9506 Old 01-24-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMagoAlex View Post
Hi, thanks for reply!
Tuner is the source, and my setup is 5.1.
I already done soft reset, then I opened my AVR and I clean it with compressed air but the result is always the same It works only in stereo/Pure mode.
Do u think is it possible that the Dolby ProLogic processor is broken?
And also the HDMI output doesn't work
Try doing a few microprocessor resets in a row. If still no joy, repair or replace.
post #9498 of 9506 Old 02-06-2017, 10:15 AM

AVR-1910 Firmware update to fix bitstreaming bug

Hi,
Does any one know if the AVR-1910 still qualifies for complimentary firmware updating in Europe? I am reeling since getting the Sony BDP-S6500 Bluray player and having the silent DTS-HD MA bit-streaming issue.

I read jdsmoothies 2010 post here: avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1159463-official-denon-avr-2310ci-890-owner-s-thread-68.html#post17512496 stating that Denon (USA only?) offers firmware updating as an in-warranty service regardless of age for this particular model XX10. Was this also true for Europe?

I contacted the authorized repair center for Sweden (denon.se / Handled by a retailer Hi-Fi klubben) and they said they were not aware of such an offer. They did however say they can do it for about $120 USD. Denon doesn't seem to have direct corporate contact support for Europe. So I don't know how to get a clear answer.

Thanks for any information.
post #9499 of 9506 Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praximus View Post
Hi,
Does any one know if the AVR-1910 still qualifies for complimentary firmware updating in Europe? I am reeling since getting the Sony BDP-S6500 Bluray player and having the silent DTS-HD MA bit-streaming issue.

I read jdsmoothies 2010 post here: avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1159463-official-denon-avr-2310ci-890-owner-s-thread-68.html#post17512496 stating that Denon (USA only?) offers firmware updating as an in-warranty service regardless of age for this particular model XX10. Was this also true for Europe?

I contacted the authorized repair center for Sweden (denon.se / Handled by a retailer Hi-Fi klubben) and they said they were not aware of such an offer. They did however say they can do it for about $120 USD. Denon doesn't seem to have direct corporate contact support for Europe. So I don't know how to get a clear answer.

Thanks for any information.
That "regardless of age" post was made 5 years ago and no longer applies. Best served simply upgrading to a more current model rather than spending money on an 8 year old model.
post #9500 of 9506 Old 02-07-2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
That "regardless of age" post was made 5 years ago and no longer applies. Best served simply upgrading to a more current model rather than spending money on an 8 year old model.
Thanks, I already had a plan to update. I was just hoping to fix this issue before giving it away.
post #9501 of 9506 Old Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I lost the remote for my 790/1910 receiver.. and also did a reset on the receiver.

I swear previously i could set the receiver to Dolby Digital EX or PLX II EX or similar (7.1 channels).. however.. even in using the harmony remote to try to toggle surround modes, i never get the EX option.. Anyone know how this is achieved?

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com
Just Plane Crazy: http://flight-stew.com
post #9502 of 9506 Old Today, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
I lost the remote for my 790/1910 receiver.. and also did a reset on the receiver.

I swear previously i could set the receiver to Dolby Digital EX or PLX II EX or similar (7.1 channels).. however.. even in using the harmony remote to try to toggle surround modes, i never get the EX option.. Anyone know how this is achieved?
Yup. By only having a 6.1 speaker configuration (ie. single surround back).
post #9503 of 9506 Old Today, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup. By only having a 6.1 speaker configuration (ie. single surround back).
I have a 7.1 and i was pretty sure that i had it lit up as "Dolby Digital EX" in the past before the reset and losing the remote though?

If thats the case, how do you get the emulated 7.1 dolby digital mode, like you can with other receivers (otherwise it only outputs to 5 of the 7 speakers)

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #9504 of 9506 Old Today, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I have a 7.1 and i was pretty sure that i had it lit up as "Dolby Digital EX" in the past before the reset and losing the remote though?

If thats the case, how do you get the emulated 7.1 dolby digital mode, like you can with other receivers (otherwise it only outputs to 5 of the 7 speakers)
That would be DD PLIIx.
post #9505 of 9506 Old Today, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That would be DD PLIIx.
Ah yes ok, so is there a certain button that would trigger this? Or which sequence on the front panel (nothing here brought that up)

My TF+TR Atmos Setup
post #9506 of 9506 Old Today, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Ah yes ok, so is there a certain button that would trigger this? Or which sequence on the front panel (nothing here brought that up)
While a 2.0 or 5.1 audio track is playing, press the Surround Mode buttons on the front panel or the STD button on the factory remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page