*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1910/790 Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 963
often speakers will measure lower than their spec'd response because, when measured in your room, placed in typical "right next to the wall" position, they will get a lot of boundary reinforcement from the walls and produce a little extra bass. However, it's still better to raise the crossover up to the 60-80Hz level for almost any speaker, as a dedicated subwoofer can almost always do better down there.

this is an informative read from Chris K. (founder of Audyssey):
http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2009/05/small-vs-large/

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Jd and Batpig, I have a better understanding of what the audessey is meant to do for me now. I thought it was just to balance out the speaker levels for sitting location but thats not the case at all. I'm going to run mine again the way Jd suggested, maybe the EQ settings will balance out my bass problem. I get heavy spots in my room even after moving my subs around, was thinking about making some bass traps but the audessey EQ could help take care of my problem if I understand it correctly.
post #993 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
ok; ruled out 2310 due to cost... now looking @ the 1910 and after calling Denon just looking for confirmation from 1910 owners.... R U able to see your volume display; displayed on your screen? In other words... the volume indicator-is it visible? Thxs
post #994 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Finally, the end! Ive had my 1910 for over a week now and it took me this long to read through the posts I love it it's been a great replacement for a Pioneer VSX-815. I would like to thank Batpig and JDSmoothie, (And everyone else who provided constructive responses) for all they're input, great job guys.
post #995 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpear View Post

Finally, the end! Ive had my 1910 for over a week now and it took me this long to read through the posts I love it it's been a great replacement for a Pioneer VSX-815. I would like to thank Batpig and JDSmoothie, (And everyone else who provided constructive responses) for all they're input, great job guys.

Billpear.... does it allow on screen volume display?

thxs
post #996 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 PM

I don't believe it does show on screen volume through HDMI. I think you need the 2310 for that if I remember correctly.
post #997 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by met64 View Post

ok; ruled out 2310 due to cost... now looking @ the 1910 and after calling Denon just looking for confirmation from 1910 owners.... R U able to see your volume display; displayed on your screen? In other words... the volume indicator-is it visible? Thxs

Yes, you can see it on the TV and you can also turn this feature off if you would like.
post #998 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpear View Post

Thats kinda funny, it appears as though we both upgraded form the pioneer 815 to the denon at exactly the same time. I think I'm really gonna like this upgrade!
post #999 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james View Post

Thats kinda funny, it appears as though we both upgraded form the pioneer 815 to the denon at exactly the same time. I think I'm really gonna like this upgrade!

dj_james; Not to be a pain but I am getting conflicting information about this... are u 100% certain this is an option? Strange thing... Denon had two CS reps; one tell me no; the other yes. Where is batpig??

Thxs
post #1000 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

as I detail in the 1st post, the 1910/790 model does NOT do volume/OSD overlay with HDMI/component video sources, just like last year's models. you need to step up to the 890/2310 model for full volume overlay.

not only is it covered in the 1st post, it's also the SECOND QUESTION in my FAQ!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1001 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 03:20 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:

Yes, you can see it on the TV and you can also turn this feature off if you would like.

What exactly were you referring to when you made this post?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1002 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

as I detail in the 1st post, the 1910/790 model does NOT do volume/OSD overlay with HDMI/component video sources, just like last year's models. you need to step up to the 890/2310 model for full volume overlay.

not only is it covered in the 1st post, it's also the SECOND QUESTION in my FAQ!

THXS! JUST looking for confirmation b4 spending $
post #1003 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Hello Everyone;

Been a while since my last post (#392) so I thought an update was in order.

After getting the spankin' new 1910 sorted, I decided the speakers needed
the be addressed.

Front Surround Speakers Optimus PRO-7AV
Center Channel Speaker Sony SS-CN40
Rear Surround Speakers Sony SS-SR15
Active Sub Woofer Sony SA-WM200

I know, pretty lame 5. set.
So I was thinking a Def Tech ProCinema 600 set might just fit the budget.
However, while plowing thru the Def Tech 600/800/1000 thread, I sucumbed to the "bad influence" of those upgrade junkies who hang there.

So, after some effort working the EB auctions, I put together the following used for ~500.

Front Surround Speakers Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350
Center Channel Speaker Definitive Technology ProCenter C2
Rear Surround Speakers Definitive Technology BP 1.2X
Still running the Sony Sub.

With everything installed, finally, I was ready to set up speakers.
A first quick pass with an analog RS SPL meter and I thought things were sounding pretty good.

Then I ran a MultEQ setup (Thanks Batpig and giomania).
First, set the Sub crossover all the way to max (200Hz) to get it out of the way. Second, set the Sub volume to 12:00 (mid point).
After the first pass at mic position one, I ran calculate and checked the levels.
The Sub was at the bottom rail (-12dB) so I backed the volume to about 10:00 and that pulled the sub up to -7dB.
I then ran all 6 positions starting at the "sweet spot":

5 4 6

2 1 3

Then after calculating and storing all the distances and levels looked reasonable:

Speaker Config. Check
Front Sp. :Small
Center Sp. :Small
Subwoofer :Yes
Surround Sp. :Small

Distance Check
Front L :8.9ft
Front R :9.0ft
Center :7.5ft
Subwoofer :9.4ft
Surround L :4.9ft
Surround R :5.7ft

Channel Level Check
Front L :-3.5dB
Center :-5.0dB
Front R :-5.0dB
Surround R :-4.5dB
Surround L :-7.0dB
Subwoofer :-7.0dB

Crossover Freq. Check
Front :60Hz
Center :60Hz
Surround :100Hz

Alright, enough of this techno-nattering, how does it SOUND?

First up, Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix. The big Wizard
battle at the end, I hear the voices actually echoing off the walls
through the surrounds.

Next, The Stones Shine A Light. Mick struts out and I hear Woo Woooo
from the fronts answered from the surrounds by the audience WOO WOOOO.
It is like I was right there.

Bottom line, IT SOUNDS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!

Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted to send a well deserved
thanks to all the good folks who regularly post here at AVS. You have
saved me much time and agravation. Much appreciated.

Now, about that left over Sony Sub? Where was that link to that DIY article for SonoTube Sub construction?
post #1004 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM

I want to thank those that replied to my original post. I resolved my problem only to reveal another. I unplugged my BDP from HDMI 1 and plugged it into HDMI 2. Voila, it works without any problems. Sounds like I have a bad HDMI input.
post #1005 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Pressing the "Ch Level" button on the remote to turn down the subwoofer, I noticed that all the channels were set to 0.0 dB as opposed to the levels Audyssey set for them (-1.5, -3.0, -7.0, etc.).

When I went into auto setup to check the various Audyssey parameters, the channel levels were all as Audyssey set them, as were the frequency crossovers.

Now, when I go into manual set up and check frequency crossovers, they're where I set them post-Audyssey calibration. When I go into test tones to check and set the various channel levels, they all measure 0.0 dB.

So here's my question -- do the Audyssey channel levels become the new baseline/default and the 0.0 dB reading I get when I press the channel level button are just the offsets relative to the Audyssey-adjusted levels, or did the 1910 somehow forget the offset and it's time for me to manually input the offsets Audyssey calculated?

One other piece of information -- when I used a a sound level meter to check the channels via the manual setup GUI, they weren't anywhere near level matched and I had to use the Audyssey-calculated setups to get them in line.

I honestly don't know what's happening, however, when I leave set up and return to normal playback.
post #1006 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Hiller View Post

I want to thank those that replied to my original post. I resolved my problem only to reveal another. I unplugged my BDP from HDMI 1 and plugged it into HDMI 2. Voila, it works without any problems. Sounds like I have a bad HDMI input.

Glad to hear you found your problem. Now are you speaking of HDMI input on the Denon or HDMI input on the Tv?
post #1007 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

RMcR -- you need to RE MEMORIZE your Quick Selects if you are going to use them to switch sources. Quick Selects are like a "snapshot" of your receiver at a given point in time, so if you go and tweak everything to taste and then don't re-take the "snapshot", the next time you press the QS button to select that source it will just destroy everything you've done and take you back to the default settings.

go to AUTO SETUP menu and RESTORE the Audyssey channel levels, and then re-memorize your quick selects before trying to use them again. Instructions are in the manual.

see question #4 in my FAQ for info on changing channel levels (including the note at the end about Quick Selects): http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #1008 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

RMcR -- you need to RE MEMORIZE your Quick Selects if you are going to use them to switch sources. Quick Selects are like a "snapshot" of your receiver at a given point in time, so if you go and tweak everything to taste and then don't re-take the "snapshot", the next time you press the QS button to select that source it will just destroy everything you've done and take you back to the default settings.

go to AUTO SETUP menu and RESTORE the Audyssey channel levels, and then re-memorize your quick selects before trying to use them again. Instructions are in the manual.

see question #4 in my FAQ for info on changing channel levels (including the note at the end about Quick Selects): http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

You've done it again, Batpig. I figured out the AUTO SETUP/RESTORE on my own, but would not have figured out that my pre-auto calibration quick selects were to blame. Thanks again.
post #1009 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although the new card will certainly make it easier for switching, more importantly it will allow you to play HD codecs from the HTPC if you have a blu-ray player!

No clue as to who "jr" is ....

Thanks again jdsmoothie!

Your confirmation on a my decision gives me a lot more confidence in setting the new system up. My 790 arrives thursday and my new Energy RC-50's should arrive Friday.

MichaelO
post #1010 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 PM

The AVR-1910 is my first experience with Audyssey and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it.

However, can anyone tell me why it Audyssey or Denon's bass management is setting my center channel's crossover frequency to 110 Hz?

This seems WAY high given that the speaker (a Boston VR-12) is supposed to be capable of dipping down the 58 Hz.

Does the high crossover indicate a problem with either the 1910 or speaker? Is there any harm in setting the crossover to 80 Hz, as I have with my front and surround speakers (VR-M60s and VR-50s, respectively)?
post #1011 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcR View Post

However, can anyone tell me why it Audyssey or Denon's bass management is setting my center channel's crossover frequency to 110 Hz? This seems WAY high given that the speaker (a Boston VR-12) is supposed to be capable of dipping down the 58 Hz.Does the high crossover indicate a problem with either the 1910 or speaker? Is there any harm in setting the crossover to 80 Hz, as I have with my front and surround speakers (VR-M60s and VR-50s, respectively)?

Welcome RM. Your question is a common one and you will find lots of similar answers on the Denon (especially 1909 and 2809 threads)and Audyssey threads if you search "lower crossover" or some such thing. In short there are no problems here. The speaker mfg specs are not to be trusted. Audyssey measures actual in room response quite accurately. Do not lower a xover as that leaves that band of frequencies unfiltered. Those freqs are best handled by the sub for multiple reasons in any case. Enjoy.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #1012 of 9333 Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

What exactly were you referring to when you made this post?

volume overlay, but apparently I was very wrong. Sorry to mislead guys, I could have swore I had to turn it off on mine. I've never been a fan of it anyways.
post #1013 of 9333 Old 07-21-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:

volume overlay, but apparently I was very wrong. Sorry to mislead guys, I could have swore I had to turn it off on mine. I've never been a fan of it anyways.

You are probably both right. There is a volume OSD if you use composite output from the 1910. But composite output is near useless anyway...
post #1014 of 9333 Old 07-21-2009, 04:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:

Thanks for your response. It's always better to get a confirmation from an actual owner rather than blindly relying on the information in the Owner's Manual.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1015 of 9333 Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Hi guys, newbie here.

I'd like to say thanks to Batpig for his link which is very helpful (but it is kind of long and my memory sucks). I have a few questions that I can't quite get a straight answer on. I just got my Denon 790 and Oppo BDP-83. I've read that HDMI 1.3 receivers can decode DSD for SACD's, but on the Denon website it says it does not do DSD via HDMI? If it can, which settings do I need to change on both the 790 and Oppo?

I am also connecting a HD DVR to a Samsung DLP 61A750. I read that batpig recommends to connect DVR through component and toslink cables. I would rather connect my DVR through the receiver and leave it in standby mode, but he says that it uses more power. My question is how much more would my electricity bill go up on average by doing this as opposed to turning off the Denon when not in use? and will leaving the Denon "half-on" all the time decrease the lifespan of it? My wife surprisingly let me upgrade and I want my components to last 5+ years if possible.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later but this is a good start so I know which cables I will need. TIA
post #1016 of 9333 Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martan9 View Post

I just got my Denon 790 and Oppo BDP-83. I've read that HDMI 1.3 receivers can decode DSD for SACD's, but on the Denon website it says it does not do DSD via HDMI?... I am also connecting a HD DVR to a Samsung DLP 61A750. I read that batpig recommends to connect DVR through component and toslink cables. I would rather connect my DVR through the receiver and leave it in standby mode, but he says that it uses more power. My question is how much more would my electricity bill go up on average by doing this as opposed to turning off the Denon when not in use? TIA

The 2809 and up can accept/decode DSD but not the 1910, AFAIK. The Oppo is easily switched in its setup menu from DSD to PCM, so you can try it for yourself; if the AVR is not capable of decoding DSD I don't think you'll hear anything with Oppo set on SACD DSD and you'll have to switch the Oppo to SACD PCM. The Denon will show MultiCh In in both cases, with the input set to Auto.

As for standdy, reread batpig's FAQ, HDMI section. Standby uses .3 W, but jumps to 30W (24h/d) with HDMI passthru on. This is for folks who want to watch TV with the AVR off, using the TV speakers only. I doubt this has a significant deleterious effect on the overall life of the AVR. It should cost a few bucks per month; do the math based on your cost/KWh. An alternate way to do this is to connect the DVR via HDMI directly to the TV and run a seperate audio cable (optical) to the AVR (easy if you use a Harmony remote to do the switching).

post #1017 of 9333 Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 AM

That sounds like a good idea. So with the DVR ran with HDMI straight to the TV and an optical to the AVR I can still get the surround sound modes from the programming and just alternate between HDMI 1,2,etc for my components ran through the AVR and the DVr connected straight to the TV right?

Now by switching the Oppo to PCM I can still just use a single HDMI cable to the AVR from the Oppo? I would then just have to adjust the bass management for SACD in the Oppo player itself?
post #1018 of 9333 Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martan9 View Post

... So with the DVR ran with HDMI straight to the TV and an optical to the AVR I can still get the surround sound modes from the programming and just alternate between HDMI 1,2,etc for my components ran through the AVR and the DVr connected straight to the TV right?
Now by switching the Oppo to PCM I can still just use a single HDMI cable to the AVR from the Oppo? I would then just have to adjust the bass management for SACD in the Oppo player itself?

Yes, as the best audio formats available thru the DVR (DD2.1, 5.1, etc) are carried thru the optical cable without any loss of quality (unlike the HD codecs on BR).

Yes run a single HDMI from Oppo to Denon. It couldn't be easier. No bass mgmt is done in the Oppo (that's for analog outs which you will not be using). Playing an SACD will show Mult Ch In on the Denon FPD; this mode uses the very sophisticated bass management you have already set in the Denon, along with Audyssey for the room EQ. I suggest a red light: DynEQ ON, DynVol OFF.

post #1019 of 9333 Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Hi there,

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing this receiver. I imagine I'll finally be pulling the trigger on a Blu Ray player this Christmas, so I need to get my HDMI-audio ducks in a row. Also, Audyssey sounds fascinating. I have a couple somewhat unusual questions:

Does anyone know how much audio lag/latency/delay this AVR introduces, at minimum? This is a "Rock Band" related question. Any sort of lag makes drum fills pretty impossible to play. Stupid game.

I enjoy multi-channel DVD-A discs. I use an older Oppo player to play them. I see that this AVR has discrete analog inputs, so that's good. But I also read that you lose any Audyssey corrections when using those inputs. Is that true? If it is, is there any other way to listen to a 6-channel DVD-A with all the Audyssey goodness intact?
post #1020 of 9333 Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNagy View Post

Hi there,

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing this receiver. I imagine I'll finally be pulling the trigger on a Blu Ray player this Christmas, so I need to get my HDMI-audio ducks in a row. Also, Audyssey sounds fascinating. I have a couple somewhat unusual questions:

Does anyone know how much audio lag/latency/delay this AVR introduces, at minimum? This is a "Rock Band" related question. Any sort of lag makes drum fills pretty impossible to play. Stupid game.

I enjoy multi-channel DVD-A discs. I use an older Oppo player to play them. I see that this AVR has discrete analog inputs, so that's good. But I also read that you lose any Audyssey corrections when using those inputs. Is that true? If it is, is there any other way to listen to a 6-channel DVD-A with all the Audyssey goodness intact?

can you not just run the calibration in-game whenever you get everything hooked up??
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page