Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 9328 Old 06-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Correct. Unlike PLIIx which offers "simulated" audio when those discrete channels are not provided for from the audio source, PLIIz simply pulls out audio that already exists and essentially amplifies it through the additional two height speakers. You will also start to see PLIIz specific audio information (especially with gaming). PLIIz is also supposed to be a nice option for those in small rooms that don't have the ability to set up rear surround speakers.

I would assume future games with dolby digital (i dont think any use lossless) will be coded with IIz material
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9328 Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM

i wonder what creates the best environment/ best surround sound 7.1 rear or 7.1 height (and why)
post #183 of 9328 Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a way to display the volume on the tv when increasing/decreasing instead of looking at the Receiver.

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PREVIOUSLY:    TH46PZ80
PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakers
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #184 of 9328 Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Davidt1,

Another thing the 1610 is missing is full video scaling of both digital and analog which the 1910 has accroding to batpig. This is one of the reasons I am going with the 1910.
post #185 of 9328 Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM

Hello,
I've had my 1910 for a week now. Fighting a HDMI issue, maybe one of you can help.

DirectTV HR20 HD Satellite Receiver/DVR
Denon AVR1910
Samsung LN-S4695 LCD TV

Issue: TV regularly displays blank blue screen and/or "searching for signal" message.

I've tried the HR20 with native mode on and off, set the HR20 to a single resolution (720p or 1080i).
On the 1910 I've tried setting the i/p scaler on and off, set resolution to auto or 720p, etc.
I think I've tried just about every combination of settings that I can think of. I also swapped HDMI cables with no success. If I connect the HR20 directly to the Samsung I have NO issues.

Any ideas?

TIA
Eric
post #186 of 9328 Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcmoe View Post

Hello,
I've had my 1910 for a week now. Fighting a HDMI issue, maybe one of you can help.

DirectTV HR20 HD Satellite Receiver/DVR
Denon AVR1910
Samsung LN-S4695 LCD TV

Issue: TV regularly displays blank blue screen and/or "searching for signal" message.

I've tried the HR20 with native mode on and off, set the HR20 to a single resolution (720p or 1080i).
On the 1910 I've tried setting the i/p scaler on and off, set resolution to auto or 720p, etc.
I think I've tried just about every combination of settings that I can think of. I also swapped HDMI cables with no success. If I connect the HR20 directly to the Samsung I have NO issues.

Any ideas?

TIA
Eric

If you go to the menu
input setup
assign
input assign

Here you you indicate which of the inputs have HDMI
components and so on.

what ever is not used, blank it
I think its here your proble

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PREVIOUSLY:    TH46PZ80
PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakers
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #187 of 9328 Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf View Post

Uh-oh . I'm getting the exact same issue. And the one common theme between our setups is the Sony TV (mine's a KF-50WE610, which only has DVI, not HDMI, though). I believe Denon screwed something up in the HDMI negotiation as far as capabilities go. The behavior is quite strange depending on which piece of equipment I'm communicating with:

Tivo HD: Sends over 2-channel stereo with TV connected. Disconnect the TV and now it jumps to 5.1 DD (same recording, never even stopped playing).

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem

I forgot to mention it in my original post, but I have an HD Tivo and I'm seeing the exact same issue.

Found something interesting on the Denon support site:

"The powering up order can be a key issue as to whether or not the HDMI
signals will pass through the system. For best results the TV should be
turned on first and set to the correct HDMI input, then the receiver and
then the source device(s). The reason for this has to do with getting the
equipment to handshake properly for the HDCP protocol."

Tried it, but it hasn't solved the problem ..

I must say that the HD audio coming from my Blu Ray player sounds great! Maybe someday I'll get video to go along with it
post #188 of 9328 Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmar View Post

Is there a way to display the volume on the tv when increasing/decreasing instead of looking at the Receiver.

no, as mentioned in post #1 there is no HDMI overlay of OSD. that is one of the step-up features of the 2310CI/890 model with full GUI support.

This is also very clearly explained on pg 9 of the manual. The video processor can only do overlay if the source is s-video / composite. There is no overlay over HDMI / component sources.

This is ALSO clearly explained in my FAQ, Question number TWO
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #189 of 9328 Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 PM

I will receive my 1910 next week. reading all the issues here despite of great help other member still makes me nervous
post #190 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
As we most likely have a whole new crop of newbies in this thread, it bears repeating that both Batpig and myself offer helpful advice and web links in our signature blocks (information below the black line in our posts). In Batpig's case, you can click on his links and go directly do his Helpful User Guide or get information on getting his Harmony Denon AVR codes. In my case, I remind folks that when you are experiencing issues that you cannot seem to resolve, before returning it to the vendor, at the very least do the "Reset the Microprocessor" procedure which for the 1910 is listed on p. 64 of the Owner's Manual. This will return all settings to their factory defaults, and very much like a PC, reboot the microprocessor as well, which is some cases will resolve your issue.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #191 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Where is the fast forward button?
post #192 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 AM

A nasty thunderstorm took out my old RX-V596 receiver which has been solid for me over the years. I've fought the urge to upgrade hoping to make a large upgrade instead of smaller incremental ones. Clearly the 1910 is a huge upgrade and although I feel a bit rushed into having to make a decision given these circumstances instead of taking months to read about what's the best option for me-- it looks like this is a solid option. I had given a thought to going with separate amp/pre-amp setup, but maybe I'll make that my next upgrade.

For me, I've got a HTPC that handles DVR playback, Bluray, and music. I've got a comcast HD box as well as a Wii. I don't really need the 4 HDMI ports right now, but its certainly a good thing. I only have a 5.1 setup using Paradigm monitor 5s as my fronts, mini monitors are the rear, CC-350 center, and a PW-2200 for my sub. At some point I'll upgrade that its not in the immediate future right now.

Currently I mostly use the setup for TV and movies but I do want my setup to be excellent for listening to music.

I think the 1910 would be a good option for me. Question is, where and when will I be able to snag a deal like some of you hinted at less than a week ago?

Thanks,

Bryan
post #193 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 AM

I contacted Denon technical support this morning about the Sony TV issue that we've been experiencing. They have never heard of this issue before, but suggested a microprocessor reset (which I had already tried) and promised to call me back after doing some additional research. Hopefully, they get back to me in a reasonable amount of time with a viable solution, since this behavior is a dealbreaker for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangelet View Post

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem

post #194 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 07:53 AM
585-645-1006

Whenever calling Denon Tech Support, first ask if the person is in Texas or in New Jersey ... as the Texas call center was just added on last year and tend to not have as much experience while the New Jersey folks have far more experience. The issue with Sony HDTV's has been brought up in the 1909 thread by a few posters, however, does not seem to be a problem with all models. If you don't get a good response, call back and see what another rep has to say as you will at times get different answers.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #195 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_tra View Post

I will receive my 1910 next week. reading all the issues here despite of great help other member still makes me nervous

please note a couple of things:

1. on the internet, people are going to post when they have questions/issues, so complaints will always be a disproportionately represented on any forum; spend some time researching plasmas or LCD's in the display forums and you will soon become paranoid that there is no such thing as a trouble-free display...

2. the only "issues" so far have been with cable/sat boxes and associated HDMI "handshake" bugs, which will happen with ANY receiver and are not the fault of Denon.

notice that there haven't been any broken units, weird sparklies, video processing failures, etc. the Denon units are very reliable and actually DON'T have any issues to speak of.

if you read ANY receiver owner's thread, especially Denon threads which are generally trouble free, you will find that 95% of "issues" fall into two categories: (1) HDMI handshake with the cable box, and (2) simple operator confusion over how the unit works.

For example, through 8,000 posts of the 1909/789 owner's thread I don't think there was one single issue that could be described as a "bug" or "problem" with the unit. Just a littany of mostly confused owners or occasional HDMI "handshake" problems.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #196 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

If you read ANY receiver owner's thread, especially Denon threads which are generally trouble free, you will find that 95% of "issues" fall into two categories: (1) HDMI handshake with the cable box, and (2) simple operator confusion over how the unit works.

+1
Every model is going to have a small % of returns, otherwise, where would the refurbished units be coming from available at Dakmart and Ecost, however, the large majority of issues are generally worked out after spending some time getting to know the new features and reading the available manuals as well as of course reading these threads.

Additionally, having spent some time reading the new 1910 manual, it is much improved (more pictures) and generally more helpful then previous years manuals. If one has only 2-3 components to connect and are not concerned with tweaking the settings, the setup is not that difficult.

post #197 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I do like that they specifically indicate in the manual that, with certain menus (Auto Setup / Manual Setup / Option Setup), you only really need to go in there ONCE when you set it up (pg 18), and that once your receiver is set up properly the only thing you have to worry about is the PARAMETERS menu and changing surround modes.

Also some good visual illustrations. They've improved their illustrations for surround sound layouts and where you should position speakers. And they've added simple visual instruction for things which are often confusing; for example, they clearly diagram a proper "bi-amp" connection on pg 12.

It also looks like they've made an effort to improve some of the wording, but it still has plenty of goofy denon-ese.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #198 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 AM

I am a newbie whose 1910 showed up this morning. Plan to set it up(at least try) this weekend. I will report back with how it goes.
post #199 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMN55446 View Post

I am a newbie whose 1910 showed up this morning. Plan to set it up(at least try) this weekend. I will report back with how it goes.

Thanks Bob,Good luck!
post #200 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bob, it's really not THAT hard. Most of the setting can be left at their defaults. As JD says, for a simple (2-3 devices) setup you shouldn't even need to change any input assignments. Otherwise, just follow my setup guide and you should be fine.

It's pretty much a few simple steps:

1. hook up all the speakers
2. hook up your devices; with a simple setup, no need to reassign and you can just use the "name" labels on the back, but you should still write down where you plugged everything in (e.g. HDMI-1 for "DVD", etc.) just in case.
3. run Auto-Setup

that's it! If you aren't going to sit there tweaking all the little options deep in the setup menu's you should be ready to go

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #201 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks. I have cable, blu-ray, Xbox, and a Wii to hook up. I don't plan on doing a lot of tweaking. So I hope it will be as easy as you make it sound.
post #202 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMN55446 View Post

Thanks. I have cable, blu-ray, Xbox, and a Wii to hook up. I don't plan on doing a lot of tweaking. So I hope it will be as easy as you make it sound.

i do too!!!
post #203 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

the only thing that's a little tricky is making sure you don't get any "overlap" with the input assignments. For example, HDMI-1 is set to "DVD" by default, but so is Component-1. So if you hook up the Blu-Ray to HDMI-1, and you hook up the Wii with component cables to Component-1, but don't do anything else, they will BOTH be "assigned" to the "DVD" input name.

But, the key thing to understand is that you are free to reassign these inputs to whatever "name" you want. So you don't need to physically rearrange the cabling, all you need to do is reassign "Component-1" to some other name and use that for the Wii. With the Wii, you need a pair of analog audio inputs (red/white), so make sure to use one of the "names" which have RCA inputs (DVD, SAT/CBL, VCR, or DVR).

For your setup, this is what I recommend:

1. Blu-Ray plugs into HDMI-1, leave it as the "DVD" input (you can rename to "BLU RAY" if you so choose)

2. Xbox 360 plugs into HDMI-2 (assuming it's an HDMI xbox), leave it as the "HDP" input (again, just rename it to "XBOX 360")

3. Cable box plugs into HDMI-3, just leave it as "SAT/CBL".

4. Wii plugs into component video #1, but you must reassign that to either "VCR" or "DVR" (because DVD and SAT/CBL have already been used). see pg 32-33 of the manual. then rename it to say "Wii".

Whichever one you choose for the Wii, plug in the red/white audio cables into the corresponding red/white RCA input jacks for either "DVR" or "VCR" (remember that these "old school" composite inputs are NOT assignable, so you have to match up the name to whatever you assign... if you decide the Wii will be on the "DVR" input you need to plug in the audio cables into the ones that say "DVR")

that should do it!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #204 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM

Batpig,

You are the best! Thanks for the help.
post #205 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asb-123 View Post

or if u dont want to buy from a reputable dealer. You could add the three year warrenty to it for $40

But that puts it like $20 cheaper than 6th ave. In this case just buy from 6th ave.

Asb,

I'm starting to think you may be right. Beach Audio just sent me a email essentially saying "sorry, your item's on backorder even though we showed 2 in stock when you ordered, and 1 after you ordered". Their whole website talks about how they are set up to be an efficient internet retailer and they avoid the dubious practices of some websites!

Just my suspicious nature, but I think they just figured their price was too cheap and they can sell it to someone else for a few more bucks. We'll see what happens; they say they will cancel if they don't ship in 30 days. Great idea there, making a customer wait 30 days and then saying "ehh".
post #206 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 PM

the 6th ave thing might be ending tonight i'm not sure. It is a one week promotion. it is called "name your price"
post #207 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:

the 6th ave thing might be ending tonight i'm not sure. It is a one week promotion. it is called "name your price"

The links I've found for this promotion don't work. That mean its dead or is there another way to get this?
post #208 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 PM

i can forward my email to you. That way, if the link still works, you can get it at $451
post #209 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

This ended Tuesday.
post #210 of 9328 Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Questions:
Video + Audio should pass through when HDMI Control is set "ON":
Power off - no
Power on - no
Standby - yes
There are three Power selection is this correct?
And to get pass through the unit has to be in Standby is this correct?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page