Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldives View Post

Thanks for the heads up-what would one use these outlets for just out of curiosity?

You could plug your DVD player into it I guess. I haven't used a switched outlet since I gave away my record turntable. If you needed a 12V trigger for an outboard amp you could plug a wall wart power supply into it since the 790 doesn't have trigger outputs. BTW, does your sub have a 12V trigger input?

Quote:
My sub is in a different outlet, so I will try switching that tonight.. thanks again!

I'm guessing your sub may be on a different branch circuit in your power panel box so you're getting ground loop induced hum.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
How can I prevent the receiver from defaulting to PLII for stereo channels? The switching is causing some audio/video sync issues with my Tivo and Kuro.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #2163 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmoll View Post

BTW, does your sub have a 12V trigger input?

no it does not..
post #2164 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2790 View Post

Yup, this is exactly what I am experiencing as well. It looks like there are three of us with this issue now (baconsgood, yourself and me). I have the same set-up as you with a Samsung BD-P3600, but running a 5.1 speaker setup. This afternoon I popped in Quantom of Solace and the DTS-HD volume worked fine for about five minutes before decreasing to an inaudible level again.

This makes me thing we have a configuration issue and not a hardware issue, unless all three of us are really unlucky with defective AVRs and/or BDPs.

I think the common thread here is the Samsung BDP's.

Here's a thought -- do these BDP's have any HDMI-CEC features that are turned on? Try turning off any "HDMI Control" or "CEC" type features in the AVR, the TV, and the BDP, see if the problem still exists.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #2165 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

How can I prevent the receiver from defaulting to PLII for stereo channels? The switching is causing some audio/video sync issues with my Tivo and Kuro.

just press the STEREO button and it will remember it next time you encounter the same signal type. the "auto surround mode" memorizes your preferences for surround mode based on input signal type and input source.

if you open up the OSD and go to INFORMATION > AUTO SURROUND it will list what the defaults are for each input signal type. PLII Cinema is the out-of-box default for 2.0 signals. Change to a 2.0 channel, press the "STEREO" button, and then re-open the AUTO SURROUND menu and you will see that it has changed to reflect your preference.

Note that if you are using QUICK SELECT buttons to change input sources, you will have to re-memorize the Quick Select for that input or you will lose your changes the next time you press the button (as it will reset back to the defaults).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2166 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Here's a thought -- do these BDP's have any HDMI-CEC features that are turned on? Try turning off any "HDMI Control" or "CEC" type features in the AVR, the TV, and the BDP, see if the problem still exists.

I have the 790 and the Samsung 3600 and it runs bitstream audiophile perfect. Have you upgraded the firmware on the Samsung? It's been updated twice in the last 30 days.
post #2167 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

that is an excellent point, thanks for pointing that out

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2168 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himm View Post

I have the 790 and the Samsung 3600 and it runs bitstream audiophile perfect. Have you upgraded the firmware on the Samsung? It's been updated twice in the last 30 days.

Get a backup file of prior Samsung firmware before updating - there have been many, many, MANY issues with players being bricked or functionality being compromised by updating from v1.03 on all Samsung models. Check the BD-P3600 thread here or the Samsung forums on CNET.
post #2169 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 PM

I've had this receiver for about 2 months now with no issues. Today the picture started to flash snow intermittently for about a half a second at a time while watching. If you blink your eye you would miss it...its that quick.

I have cable with an 8300HD box connected to the AVR via HDMI and then from the AVR to the Pioneer PDP 5070 via HDMI. I believe the problem is coming from the AVR as I connected direct to the TV from the Cable box (bypassed the AVR) and I do not see the problem. I have tried switching HDMI lines and still have the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks
post #2170 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

assuming it isn't just a problem with the HDMI signal from the cable box, that sounds almost certainly like a bad HDMI cable or bad connection. Try swapping cables, and also check to see if there is any excess tension on any of the HDMI connectors. There have been a few reports of people having sparkles / snow video issues being able to resolve it simply by reducing the tension on the HDMI connection (e.g. if the cable is too tight and pulling on the HDMI connector while it is in the jack).

Does it look like this?

this is an example of an HDMI signal defect from an Audioholics article.

FYI -- I use these "HDMI port savers" from monoprice and they work great if you need a little extra slack for a tight squeeze: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2171 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:

assuming it isn't just a problem with the HDMI signal from the cable box, that sounds almost certainly like a bad HDMI cable or bad connection. Try swapping cables, and also check to see if there is any excess tension on any of the HDMI connectors. There have been a few reports of people having sparkles / snow video issues being able to resolve it simply by reducing the tension on the HDMI connection (e.g. if the cable is too tight and pulling on the HDMI connector while it is in the jack).

FYI -- I use these "HDMI port savers" from monoprice and they work great if you need a little extra slack for a tight squeeze: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks Bat

I did fix the issue for now...I switched the channel from an HD xhannel to an 480i channel and the flashing snow issue was gone. When I switched back to an HD channel all was ok.

Not sure what that means...I'm sure you have an idea.

Thanks again
post #2172 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

actually I don't I could make something up though

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2173 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2l8t4hlp View Post

Thanks Bat

I did fix the issue for now...I switched the channel from an HD xhannel to an 480i channel and the flashing snow issue was gone. When I switched back to an HD channel all was ok.

Not sure what that means...I'm sure you have an idea.

Thanks again

I do get a picture distorsion here and there on the HD channels, but going from 1080i to 480i and back, picture seems to correct itself. I presume its a COLD HANDSHAKE

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PREVIOUSLY:    TH46PZ80
PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakers
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #2174 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 PM

Appreciate the idea . . .I tried turning all CEC off everywhere I could find it but no luck. Definately a strange one . . .I've called both Denon and Samsung to make them aware.
post #2175 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himm View Post

I'm running 2.2 which is the latest available in Canada. I'd sure like to know what your secret sauce is . . . how new are your units?
post #2176 of 9333 Old 09-22-2009, 07:42 PM

I have been trying to run auto setup for my 1910 with a bose acoustimass 5.1 system and rocketfish rear surround wireless and I can't seem to get past an error message (speakers no). I read on this forum as well as Batpigs links that I need a tripod or something of the sort. I have not used a tripod but I have used a lamp (as recommended in another thread) as well as some candle holders but no luck. I set some things manually for the time being but it just doesn't sound right. It seems like the background noise and sound effects for anything I watch is noticeably louder than the vocals. In some cases (football game with announcers) I can't even hear the vocals. Some commercials are much louder than others and I thought I would try to use the audyssey features but 1910 won't allow me to (at least from what I have tried) without running auto setup.

Any thoughts, recommendations or directions? This is my first denon and it has me feeling dumb. I can't imagine I need to go out a buy a tripod just to run auto setup but I could be wrong. Also, I am a little disappointed with the quality out of the box. I can tell the potential is there but this is worse than calibrating my panny.

Thanks for any help.
post #2177 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 03:17 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Bose speakers, due to their design, are known to cause "phase" errors when running AUTO SETUP (so when you get them you just press "SKIP" to move forward with the SETUP), but you they should at the very least be detected. Reseat the mic plug into the Denon and try again. It's very possible you have a defective mic which can be easily replaced by either the vendor, Best Buy, or Denon.

Although using a tripod is the ideal method of taking measurements, as long as the lamp can be set up such that the mic is at ear level, measurements should still be fairly close. I used a lamp for the better part of a year before picking up a tripod just to see if there was a difference. The measurements from the tripod were virtually identical to those with the lamp.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2178 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxUcf View Post

I have been trying to run auto setup for my 1910 with a bose acoustimass 5.1 system and rocketfish rear surround wireless and I can't seem to get past an error message (speakers no)...

Thanks for any help.

I'm not familiar with Bose, but I was just looking at their website and it appears that the Acoustimass system has it's own bass management. All the 5.1 channels run to the powered module which is the subwoofer but also has a "Bass" and "LFE" control. Maybe you can defeat the bass management with these controls but it's not clear from the manual. Anyway I'm guessing that the auto setup is being confused since it's trying to measure speaker distance while the Bose is outputting from both the speaker under test as well as the subwoofer.

Rick
post #2179 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgadsby View Post

I'm running 2.2 which is the latest available in Canada. I'd sure like to know what your secret sauce is . . . how new are your units?

The Samsung BD3600 is 2 months old and the Denon 790 is 1 month old.
post #2180 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that bose having its own bass module would have something to due with it. When I run auto setup the front left speaker makes the test noise but the error message comes up after that and I don't get an option to skip to the next speaker. My options are retry or cancel. I have plugged in and unplugged multiple times to no avail.

Has anyone on this forum tried auto setup before with a bose system? Normally I would just use the manual setup and be fine with it but the fact that I can't utilize the audyssey features is a bummer not to mention the lack of vocals makes it almost useless.
post #2181 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bose acoustimass does not play nice at all with Audyssey, it has several design issues which make it somewhat incompatible. I would strongly recommend considering switching to a more traditional speaker system, with normal speaker hook-ups and a powered sub, if you want to take advantage of the Audyssey features.

If you want "tiny" there are much better options for the price you pay for Bose AM. Thankfully Bose sells very well on the used market so (assuming you didn't buy new and have the ability to just return it) you should be able to recoup a good amount for them.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2182 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmoll View Post

The outlets on the back of the 790 are only rated for 1A so don't plug your sub into it. It sounds like you're getting enough hum to keep the sub from powering down. If you don't have the sub plugged into the same wall outlet that the 790 is, you might try running a heavy extension cord from the 790 to the sub so that they are both powered from the same wall outlet. That may reduce your hum and let the sub power down.

Rick

I plugged my sub into a different outlet (but not the same as the receiver as it is on the opposite side of the room) in hopes that I wouldn't have to run an extension cable, and viola, it auto powered off like a charm. thanks!
post #2183 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 04:42 PM

I see this subject in the Q&A, but can not figure out how to make the settings. I am assuming I want to make this setting for playback of any BlueRay that offers it.
post #2184 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

there is no question there. what is "this setting"?

the bottom line is:

1 - if you have a PS3 SLIM you can bitstream
2 - if you don't, the PS3 must decode first so you set it to LPCM as instructed in my FAQ: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#ps3

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #2185 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 05:15 PM

I hope some times you can just laugh at us guys. I did the LPCM thing several days ago. I am gussing that I am not seeing Dolby TrueHD is because the Blurays I have watched did not have Dolby TrueHD.

Thanks as Always
post #2186 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llsvern View Post

I hope some times you can just laugh at us guys. I did the LPCM thing several days ago. I am gussing that I am not seeing Dolby TrueHD is because the Blurays I have watched did not have Dolby TrueHD.

Thanks as Always

I should have said: I am guessing that I am not seeing Dolby TrueHD LIGHT is because the Blurays I have watched did not have Dolby TrueHD.
post #2187 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDubber View Post

Been reading a lot about the AVR-790/1910 and most seems positive. I found the 1910 at a local dealer on sale for $499 for 2 more days. Before I pull the trigger, is there anything in that price range that may also be worth seriously considering?

My setup:

PS3 (in transit) for gaming and Blu Ray
Wii
Cable box with integrated DVR (with HDMI)
Hitachi rear-projection CRT TV (1080i only - I plan to use an HDMI > DVI converter until I get a new TV)
Definitive Technology center, fronts and surrounds (not towers though - speakers are also due for an upgrade someday as my midrange kinda sucks)
HSU VTF MK 2 sub

Medium-size room, 8' ceilings.

Helping a noob like me avoid potential buyer's remorse = priceless!

before you pull the trigger on that great deal from the local retailer...check out this: http://www.us-appliance.com/avr790.html I know it says, "out of stock"...but...call the guy, when he tells you they've just been ordered, that it will take 3 weeks.....visit the site everyday!! and be ready, it took much less than 3 weeks for me....and clicking the link daily was worth the $100 savings!!

Oh, and I even was able to find a discount code (search google) and got $10 off, so shipped to my house was a complete $398!!
post #2188 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 PM

Hey batpig, is there a "search" on your site?

My PS3 image blinks, not constantly, but for at least 10 minutes or so, when I start watching something.

My cable box also doesn't like to pass signal, via HDMI, to my 790. I have it hooked straight to the TV and the HDMI is fine.

I think I saw an error message once, very briefly....but haven't seen any video using HDMI from the cable box to the 790 since.

So for now, I use 2 inputs on the TV, optical audio from cable box to 790 and just let the PS3 and 790 make nice, by watching previews and "extras" before starting the movie.

I know, I should read everything and search this thread....but PLEASE
Mitsubishi WD-65734 ~ Denon AVR790 ~ Sony PS3 ~ Comcast HD box
Front: Polk Audio Monitor 60, cherry
Center: Polk Audio CS1, cherry
Subwoofer: Infinity BU-1
Front-Height: Element Electronics EBS1
Surround: Niles HD5, In-Ceiling
Back-Surround: Element Electronics EBS1
post #2189 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Bose acoustimass does not play nice at all with Audyssey, it has several design issues which make it somewhat incompatible. I would strongly recommend considering switching to a more traditional speaker system, with normal speaker hook-ups and a powered sub, if you want to take advantage of the Audyssey features.

If you want "tiny" there are much better options for the price you pay for Bose AM. Thankfully Bose sells very well on the used market so (assuming you didn't buy new and have the ability to just return it) you should be able to recoup a good amount for them.

Thanks for the input. I was given this acoustimass system for free from a family member. It worked well and provided great sound with an entry level yamaha AVR but the sound is up and down with the new denon. The more I have researched outside of this forum the more I am realizing a bose system is best for a cheap receiver without the ability to provide solid results on its own. Honestly I was impressed with the way it has sounded in the past but if I can't take full advantage of my new denon I feel like I am missing out.

Do you have any recommendations for new speakers? Ideally I take the money I would get from selling the bose system on craigslists and buy a new set. Just looking for 5.1 and "small" is not a necessity but certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to keep the other half happy from a cosmetic standpoint.
post #2190 of 9333 Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Yesterday the DTS-HD Audio randomly started working and I can't remember what I may have pushed on the remote. Today it's back to the same volume problem and I haven't changed anything.

I do have the latest version of the firmware on the Samsung BD-P3600. I've also made sure that HDMI control is off on both the AVR and the BDP.

Tomorrow I'm going to swap out the HDMI cables just to double check. Worth a shot.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page