*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5196 Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My speakers are Def-tech Cinema 100's all around. The room is about 15x25, the surrounds hang from the ceiling (about 11 or 12 feet high directly to my left and right of my listening area). Distance measured is 8 feet to primary microphone placement and that corresponds to Audyssey measurements

The listing zone is about 13 feet from the TV

Test tones sound fine (as do the chirps).

Maybe they are just too high.

I just don't like seeing the +12, makes me think I'm limited out on level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5196 Old 07-30-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I balked at the 1610 originally because of the no zone 2 thing...but I picked up a 5 year old HK receiver from a coworker for $100 that will work better since I can have more than 2 speakers in the pool area now.

Anyway, I DID pick up a 1610 to replace a 6 year old Pioneer..and when Batpig (and others) say that the manual is cryptic and confusing they aren't kidding. Beyond that..the remote is just as horrible and confusing as the manual. I recently helped a friend set up an Onkyo 607 system and it seemed much more intuitive to me. No matter though, the Denon sounds great after I ran the Audessey setup...it will just take me a while to figure out what is what as far as the remote goes. I did do a remote profile to my Harmony 880 which helps some..but still confusing at times. Great setup guide Batpig!

edit- what speaker button allows you to jack up the center channel on the fly?

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #273 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 AM

Liked: 12
On the denon remote make sure the slide switch on the side is set to amp.Then look for the channel level button just above the cursur control buttons,push the level button then use the up, down buttons to select the center channel, then use the left, right buttons to adjust level.I agree with you about the manual and remote,terrible!
post #274 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 08:21 AM

I want to hook up all thress components with the 590 via hdmi I was wondering if anyone had even one of these components to let me know if it plays nice/ handshakes ok with the avr590/1610 thx all.

1)Pioneer 42 PDP-42A3HD Plasma
2)samsung bd-p2550 blu ray
3)motorola dct 3412 hdmi dvr
post #275 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpayne37 View Post

My speakers are Def-tech Cinema 100's all around. The room is about 15x25, the surrounds hang from the ceiling (about 11 or 12 feet high directly to my left and right of my listening area). Distance measured is 8 feet to primary microphone placement and that corresponds to Audyssey measurements

The listing zone is about 13 feet from the TV

Test tones sound fine (as do the chirps).

Maybe they are just too high.

I just don't like seeing the +12, makes me think I'm limited out on level.

A few more questions:

When you did auto setup, did you make sure the first measurement position was approximately in the center of the "listening zone"? the 1st pos. is where all distances and levels are set.

Also, when you play the manual test tones, does it sound like all the speakers are approximately of the same volume when you sit in the center of the listening area (at that 1st pos)? Since the speakers are all the same, are the test tones approximately the same tone/timbre? If one of the speakers was damaged you would probably hear a big tonal difference on the white noise test tone.

Lastly, are your speakers aimed downward towards the listening area, or firing horizontally 12 feet up? Is there a cathedral ceiling or anything that could be sucking up all that sonic energy?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #276 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

I did do a remote profile to my Harmony 880 which helps some..but still confusing at times. Great setup guide Batpig!

edit- what speaker button allows you to jack up the center channel on the fly?

Joemama --

In addition to the "CH LEVEL" method described by tiny above, with your Harmony remote you actually have the ability to have direct volume control for any speaker on the fly.

See the link in my signature for more info -- I have cataloged all the Harmony commands in the database for "AVR 3808CI" and it has speaker volume controls for every speaker that you can put in the Harmony. If you haven't copied my account yet, you can email Harmony tech support and ask them to copy the commands from my username "Batpigworld".

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #277 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny0011 View Post

On the denon remote make sure the slide switch on the side is set to amp.Then look for the channel level button just above the cursur control buttons,push the level button then use the up, down buttons to select the center channel, then use the left, right buttons to adjust level.I agree with you about the manual and remote,terrible!

Thanks, I figured out the button is labeled "CH LEVEL TOP MENU HDMI CONTROL"...why couldn't I figure out what that was for?

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #278 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yes, all Denon AVR's now have the HDMI passthrough function when in Standby.

I just wanted to check one more issue i was reading batpigs setup along with the 590 manual and it says to activate this function I have to turn on HDMI Control. My current tv is a plasma from 2006 PDP-42A3HD that has hdmi but does not have hdmi control functionality. Will I still be able to pass through video and audio in standby? The reason I am asking is in my current yamaha 465 that i am returning hdmi control can be off and I can turn the standby feature itself on. thx again
post #279 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 01:46 PM

I did set 1st pos. at the center, the surrounds are angled as far down as the mounts will allow (but I would say firing too high).

I'm going home tonight and moving them to the side walls. I will rerun the sound test and let you know.

Thank you for all your help.
post #280 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
killahb36
Quote:
I just wanted to check one more issue i was reading batpigs setup along with the 590 manual and it says to activate this function I have to turn on HDMI Control. My current tv is a plasma from 2006 PDP-42A3HD that has hdmi but does not have hdmi control functionality. Will I still be able to pass through video and audio in standby?

Its talking about turning HDMI Control to "ON" thats on the Denon not the Tv. And that would allow pass through video and audio in standby.
post #281 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 02:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahb36 View Post

My current tv is a plasma from 2006 PDP-42A3HD that has hdmi but does not have hdmi control functionality.

You're thinking of HDMI CEC which allows a single remote to control multiple HDMI components. HDMI Control is a feature on the AVR and allows it to be in STANDBY while still letting an HDMI signal pass through it.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #282 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You're thinking of HDMI CEC which allows a single remote to control multiple HDMI components. HDMI Control is a feature on the AVR and allows it to be in STANDBY while still letting an HDMI signal pass through it.

got you i did have those two confused, thx
post #283 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

it is possible (with your older display that is not going to be HDMI 1.3 compliant) that HDMI Control may not function and the passthrough could fail to work.... but try it and report back.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #284 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 08:05 PM

Ok, I found out my problem.... with the low surround volume. Both woofers on the surrounds (Deftech Promonitors are out. How the heck did that happen?
post #285 of 5196 Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Hi John,

Unfortunately, these newer receivers are moving further towards modern (HDMI) connections and entry level models do not have quite the same support for "legacy" connections as would your typical receiver from a few years ago.

The S-Video connection is useless for most, if you consult the manual (pg 9) this input is ONLY functional with the Denon ipod dock.

Most people these days have a DVD player with component video output, so when Denon cut back on the composite inputs I guess that was one they could sacrifice.

Anyway, it should work with component video.

First, have you checked the component video output of the DVD player straight to the TV (taking the Denon out of the loop) to confirm that it is working?

Assuming so, to get video to work on the receiver you need to make sure there is alignment between the input you plug into on the back and the NAME you are trying to use. I assume you just want to use the "DVD" name.... if you look on pg 30 of the manual, there is an "Input Assign" screen; make sure the "DVD" name is set to COMPONENT 1, set HDMI to blank (and if you are using digital audio also make sure that is assigned as well).

Then, select the "DVD" input name and you should get the DVD player.

One final note is that (see pg 9 of the manual) is this receiver does NOT do any video conversion other than analog > HDMI. so if you are inputting via composite (yellow) cable, the video will NOT come out of the component video monitor output to the TV.

Hmmm...I'm wondering if I'm going to have a problem. Just ordered the 1610 but I still have an older (10yrs old I'd guess) TV (52" rear projector RCA P-52813 that just won't die...hopefully to change around Christmas) that doesn't have a whole lot of connections. Right now it's running S-Video from the TV to my current receiver, and optical for audio (from XBox 360). I also have a cable box that also feeds from S-Video and I thin some sort of a DTS cable.

Sooo...right now no HDMI, is this going to give me a problem? Did I actually just downgrade my video signal? I'm pretty sure my TV doesn't have component, all I see for that sort of connection is a single video in.

The back of the Denon 1610 says S-Video so I was expecting my setup would stay the same as it is...maybe? http://www.abt.com/images/products/B...1610_back1.jpg

Thank you for all the great information you've shared. I have your setup guide bookmarked for next week when my receiver arrives (if you don't tell me to cancel the order).
post #286 of 5196 Old 08-01-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

Sooo...right now no HDMI, is this going to give me a problem? Did I actually just downgrade my video signal? I'm pretty sure my TV doesn't have component, all I see for that sort of connection is a single video in.

The back of the Denon 1610 says S-Video so I was expecting my setup would stay the same as it is...maybe? http://www.abt.com/images/products/B...1610_back1.jpg

I'm pretty sure the S-Video on the back is for the iPod dock input only. This receiver has no S-Video output.
post #287 of 5196 Old 08-01-2009, 05:57 AM

That's what I'm concerned with. It's one of the reasons I went with the Denon and not the Pioneer 919...maybe I need to send it back and get the 919. Hmmm...
post #288 of 5196 Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

That's what I'm concerned with. It's one of the reasons I went with the Denon and not the Pioneer 919...maybe I need to send it back and get the 919. Hmmm...

The 919 doesn't have S-Video either. S-Video is being phased out of receivers.
post #289 of 5196 Old 08-01-2009, 11:00 AM

I know the 919 doesn't have s-video either, but having it was one of the reasons I went with the Denon vs. Pioneer. I do like how the 919 is 7.1, has the AB speakers and the direct ipod connections is nice. Of course Denon's Audyssey was another tipping point for them and the upscaling (for my older DVDs).

I'm not convinced the s-video won't work, why would they say S-video if it doesn't and it is a s-video connection, right? I may have to use the ipod source setting for TV but that's not a big deal. I should know tomorrow, I'll let you know if it works or not.

I am considering sending it back for the 919 if it doesn't...what do you think?
post #290 of 5196 Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Liked: 12
Yesterday I switched my motorola dvr box from hdmi to component and coax audio.The reason I switched is i have a tv that has a 720p native resolution but will accept 1080i and every time I turned the dvr box on it would go to 720,I would have to turn box off and do the power off menu to set it back to 1080i. Also once in a while I would turn 590, tv, and box on there would be video but no audio,the ONLY way I could get audio was to push the dvr menu button???Also even though I set the dvr for a 16:9 display it would sometimes record in 4:3,I guess this is just more hdmi weirdness.I honestly can`t tell any difference between hdmi and and component video and coax audio.Regards.
post #291 of 5196 Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I know the 919 doesn't have s-video either, but having it was one of the reasons I went with the Denon vs. Pioneer. I do like how the 919 is 7.1, has the AB speakers and the direct ipod connections is nice. Of course Denon's Audyssey was another tipping point for them and the upscaling (for my older DVDs).

I'm not convinced the s-video won't work, why would they say S-video if it doesn't and it is a s-video connection, right? I may have to use the ipod source setting for TV but that's not a big deal. I should know tomorrow, I'll let you know if it works or not.

I am considering sending it back for the 919 if it doesn't...what do you think?

The 590 doesn't upscale anything. It only converts 480i to 480p. You may be better off with the 790 which is 7.1, multizone and upscales to 1080p. The user manual and product specs says the S-Video is only used for the iPod dock.
post #292 of 5196 Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Hi all,

I just got a 1610 and was trying to set it up to use an existing speaker 2.1 speaker set, Altec Lancing MX5201, and need some advice on some subwoofer no-sound problem.

The subwoofer of the speaker set came with a 3.5mm male and I used a RCA->3.5mm adapter to link up the Denon and subwoofer. I also connected the 2 SATs to the front A speakers. When using DVD and FM radio as the source, I was able to get sound from the front speakers but not the subwoofer. I could hear a little thumping from the sub when doing the Audyssey setup though.

Any idea what went wrong with the setup?
post #293 of 5196 Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 AM

I'm looking at the 590 but I see it has no audio inputs for 5.1 sound. I have a Sony Blu ray that I'll hook up to the HMDI but I also want to hook up my Denon DVD 1930CI that I use to play SACD's. The manual for the DVD says that the sounds recorded on the multi/stereo area of the Super Audio CD's are not output through the HDMI cable. Can I use the Optical jack to get the 5.1 sound ?
post #294 of 5196 Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM

I am looking into purchasing one of these receivers. What I would like to know if its worth replacing my Sony STR-DG910 with the 590/1610. Will I notice any difference, sound quality wise? I have Polk TSI100 for fronts, CSi10 for the center, and Def Tech BP12X for the rear surrounds. I know I would be going from 7.1 receiver to a 5.1, but thats what my set up is, 5.1. I know some people bag on Sony, but I think it sounds ok, but want just a little bit better without breaking the bank, my wife and I have a baby on the way Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
post #295 of 5196 Old 08-02-2009, 11:11 AM

Im also trying to find out how these receivers sound, i have a harman kardon avr 154 and im trying to decide whether to buy this for an upgrade. No real reviews from anybody here yet.
post #296 of 5196 Old 08-02-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I like the Denon 1610/590 over the Pio 919 because it has the better amp section and Audyssey. IMO, upscaling in budget receivers is useless as it's likely the display will do a better job of it anyways. When you move up the chain to something with say the Reon chip, then it's worth it.
post #297 of 5196 Old 08-03-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1055 View Post

I'm looking at the 590 but I see it has no audio inputs for 5.1 sound. I have a Sony Blu ray that I'll hook up to the HMDI but I also want to hook up my Denon DVD 1930CI that I use to play SACD's. The manual for the DVD says that the sounds recorded on the multi/stereo area of the Super Audio CD's are not output through the HDMI cable. Can I use the Optical jack to get the 5.1 sound ?

no, with the advent of HDMI more and more entry-level receivers are dropping multichannel analog inputs. On Denon's current lineup you need to step up to the 790/1910 model for multich analog inputs.

unfortunately, the Denon 1930CI can't do SACD over HDMI. Optical will not get you multichannel hi-rez sound, only 2-channel. You may want to consider either (1) selling the Denon DVD and switching to an Oppo or some other player which can do SACD over HDMI or (2) going with the 790/1910 model.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #298 of 5196 Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry but I can't find this anywhere...

Is there a way to play music fromy my MP3 player hooked up via two RCA jacks currently in the VCR/Ipod spot while being able to watch TV or play PS3 games?

As it currently works, when I hit VCR/Ipod the TV screen will go black (with the denon menu in white) and I haven't figured out how to make either picture show while playing music from a different imput.
post #299 of 5196 Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

Sorry but I can't find this anywhere...

Is there a way to play music fromy my MP3 player hooked up via two RCA jacks currently in the VCR/Ipod spot while being able to watch TV or play PS3 games?

As it currently works, when I hit VCR/Ipod the TV screen will go black (with the denon menu in white) and I haven't figured out how to make either picture show while playing music from a different imput.

The "Video Select" button changes the video input source while keeping the audio but I believe it doesn't work for HDMI.
post #300 of 5196 Old 08-03-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero383 View Post

The "Video Select" button changes the video input source while keeping the audio but I believe it doesn't work for HDMI.

Ah that's my problem, I have the TV & ps3 hooked up via HDMI, and the MP3 player via 3.5mm-->>2xRCA in the VCR/Ipod input... that sucks that I can't do what I want it to do
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page