post #3031 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

My understanding is that they (Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol) either work or they don't and that it's rather apparent as if they don't then there is no difference in the audio when either is turned ON or OFF. If you notice a difference when using Dyn EQ then your unit is not affected with the issue. And as your PS3 cannot bitstream HD audio, you're obviously not impacted by the bitstream issue either.

bitstream issue? i thought the problem was with the LPCM, and ps3's that cant bitstream

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
It does. I was referring to certain BDPs that have problems bitstreaming the HD audio to the AVR which is a separate issue as noted in the last link in my sig and resolved with the Main Ver #89/ Sub Ver #24 firmware update.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3033 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Sweet, maybe I'll get a new one too. I was a little curious how they had enough customer returns to keep it on the website for this long.

I've been told they aren't open box but they list them as such to avoid MAP issues.

I did a search and came up empty.. how do I check the firmware version?
post #3034 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_sun View Post

I've been told they aren't open box but they list them as such to avoid MAP issues.

this is from jd's signature, and this works with this model (1610/590), as well as the model mentioned in the sig......

In order to check your Main Ver #, using the buttons on the front panel display (not the remote) first turn the AVR ON, then power it OFF (not in Standby). Then turn the power of the AVR-2310 on, while holding both [DIMMER] button and [STATUS] button on the front panel simultaneously. After the unit powers on, each time the STATUS button is pressed, it will cycle through the various software version numbers including the MAIN VER.

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #3035 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 03:06 PM

Yep...Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol don't do a thing. If I change my fat PS3 to bitstream and use the legacy codecs, they work---and the audio is slightly louder/crisper.

This is disappointing So the only way to correct the problem is to pay to have it shipped to Denon? Hah, and after all this fussing around with Auto-setup and I'm not even getting the benefits because the thing's defective.
post #3036 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by oland View Post

Yep...Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol don't do a thing. If I change my fat PS3 to bitstream and use the legacy codecs, they work---and the audio is slightly louder/crisper.

This is disappointing So the only way to correct the problem is to pay to have it shipped to Denon? Hah, and after all this fussing around with Auto-setup and I'm not even getting the benefits because the thing's defective.

Or call Denon Service Center thats close to you and see if they have the jig to update it for you..

LIFETIME SERVICE CENTER
1955 WEHRLE DRIVE
SUITE B
WILLIAMSVILLE, NY 14221-8453 USA
(716) 632-0216
post #3037 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

my friend had the same issue, he went as far as to trade his fat ps3 in, pay 100 bucks, and get a slim.....it would probably be close to the same as sending that heavy thing to a service center

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #3038 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post

my friend had the same issue, he went as far as to trade his fat ps3 in, pay 100 bucks, and get a slim.....it would probably be close to the same as sending that heavy thing to a service center

A receiver isn't exactly an easy item to send out...and of course I'd worry about it getting damaged.

I'm still debating whether or not I want to bother sending it in, only because I (fortunately) have a couple options. I actually have a Panasonic BD60 that I got free with my TV, I suppose I could hook that up and just bitstream the HD audio. Or I could just bitstream the fat PS3 and listen to the legacy codecs because frankly...they seemed louder, crisper, and more immersive.

I'll probably do a comparison with both, although I enjoy using the PS3 because it's much faster and can do the secondary audio too.
post #3039 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A receiver isn't exactly an easy item to send out...and of course I'd worry about it getting damaged.

I'm still debating whether or not I want to bother sending it in, only because I (fortunately) have a couple options. I actually have a Panasonic BD60 that I got free with my TV, I suppose I could hook that up and just bitstream the HD audio. Or I could just bitstream the fat PS3 and listen to the legacy codecs because frankly...they seemed louder, crisper, and more immersive.

I'll probably do a comparison with both, although I enjoy using the PS3 because it's much faster and can do the secondary audio too.

if youre saying the dyn EQ and VOL work with the legacy codecs, and not the hd codecs, thats most likely why they sound better, because of the dyn EQ....if you had the dyn EQ with the hd codecs, it would sound the same, if not better

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #3040 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:

this is from jd's signature, and this works with this model (1610/590), as well as the model mentioned in the sig......

In order to check your Main Ver #, using the buttons on the front panel display (not the remote) first turn the AVR ON, then power it OFF (not in Standby). Then turn the power of the AVR-2310 on, while holding both [DIMMER] button and [STATUS] button on the front panel simultaneously. After the unit powers on, each time the STATUS button is pressed, it will cycle through the various software version numbers including the MAIN VER.

Thanks but there isn't a dimmer or a status button on the front panel of the 1610.
post #3041 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

Thanks but there isn't a dimmer or a status button on the front panel of the 1610.

Sure there is, look at lower right corner of the display panel (small push buttons).
post #3042 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Sure there is, look at lower right corner of the display panel (small push buttons).

Holy stealth buttons!

Thanks!
post #3043 of 5199 Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:

if youre saying the dyn EQ and VOL work with the legacy codecs, and not the hd codecs, thats most likely why they sound better, because of the dyn EQ....if you had the dyn EQ with the hd codecs, it would sound the same, if not better

Ohhhhh yeah. Just hooked up the Panny BD60 and bitstreamed the HD audio, with the Dyn EQ and Vol working. Sounds absolutely great. And you get the nifty blue light to prove it

I think I'll probably wait and send in my receiver for the update the next time I'm out of town for awhile. Out of sight, out of mind...until then, I'll just use the BD60.
post #3044 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, that makes sense. But they still list the non-open box ones at MSRP.

I got mine yesterday and it was factory sealed too.
post #3045 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 05:51 AM
585-645-1006

Spi -

Just for reference on another recently received unit from EE, when you get a chance, please provide your serial number, Main Ver#, and Sub Ver#. Thanks.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #3046 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spi -

Just for reference on another recently received unit from EE, when you get a chance, please provide your serial number, Main Ver#, and Sub Ver#. Thanks.

Spiv is the proper shortening of my name It's actually my initials, Scott P, IV.

I haven't set it up yet since I'm waiting on my speakers (arriving Monday ) but I can tell you that the serial started with 9. And it was from 6ave, not EE.
post #3047 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 AM
585-645-1006

Gotcha. Just like George's kid.

Regardless of the vendor, the full serial #, Main Ver #, and Sub Ver # would be appreciated whenever you do get it set up. Thanks.

Also, you could always start setting up now and simply send the audio to the TV speakers so you can at least start getting your sources set up correctly. I seriously doubt you'll want to let your brand new toy just sit there alone over the weekend.

post #3048 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha. Just like George's kid.

Regardless of the vendor, the full serial #, Main Ver #, and Sub Ver # would be appreciated whenever you do get it set up. Thanks.

Also, you could always start setting up now and simply send the audio to the TV speakers so you can at least start getting your sources set up correctly. I seriously doubt you'll want to let your brand new toy just sit there alone over the weekend.

lol, yeah it will be hard to resist setting it up "just to see if it works".

Not sure what you mean by George's kid. I binged and found that a spiv is a "petty criminal, who deals in stolen or black market goods of questionable authenticity" in the UK. You learn something new every day!
post #3049 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 AM
585-645-1006

I'm referring to George Foreman who has 5 sons -

George Jr, George III, George IV, George V, and George VI

post #3050 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm referring to George Foreman who has 5 sons -

George Jr, George III, George IV, George V, and George VI

Ah, how could I forget? His grill got me through many a dinners in my first apartment.
post #3051 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:

As Mikey indicated, the LPCM issue does not effect ALL units so you may be good to go. Also, the issue primarily effects the use of Dyn VOL and not Dyn EQ which is generally used all the time while Dyn VOL is generally never used for movies, rather only late at night.

Well it seems I dodged a bullet and I’m not affected by the firmware issues. My firmware is Main Ver # = 00.89, Sub Ver# = 00.24

I hooked everything up yesterday and I’m amazed how good the 1610 sounds, I feel it sounds much better than my old Denon 1908. It probably has to do with the Dynamic EQ but maybe with the fact I’ve been using the speaker bar of my Kuro for the last two months since my 1908 has been broken.

After setup I crossed my fingers and tried out the Dynamic EQ and after a short pause the sound transformed and sounded much fuller at a lower volume. I crossed my fingers again and tried the Dynamic volume and the sound did change. I didn’t listen for very long but it sounded compressed to me, as if the extreme trebles and bass was all moved to midrange. It sounds as if the people that are having the problem get no change in sound so please correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m amazed that I’m able to get this sound out of a $280.00 receiver, I paid $500.00 for my 1908 almost 3 years ago.

As I said in one of my earlier posts.. I had sworn off Denon due to the horrendous issues and poor customer service I had with my 1908 but money is tight and the features in the 1610 matched what I needed so we’ll see if it lasts for longer than 12 months.. unlike the 1908.
post #3052 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

So were you using the BDP or Denon to process the audio?

I've been using the Panny BD60 player paired w/ my Denon and I haven't had any issues. I have the Denon process the audio and also turn off the Dyn Vol but the Dyn Vol does work when I engage it.

Damn I keep forgetting the issues are only if you are using a BDP to decode the audio.
post #3053 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well it seems I dodged a bullet and I'm not affected by the firmware issues. My firmware is Main Ver # = 00.89, Sub Ver# = 00.24

well possibly you would still run into the LPCM issue, sub ver# = 00.26 would be required for that, but as long as your bitstreaming, you're good

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #3054 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 AM

Here's my findings...

I have the PS3 Slim bit-streaming to a 590 without the firmware update.
As long as I set the Audio Output Settings In the PS3 Manually and Un-check all the LPCM options to off, It's fine. (LPCM 2ch can not be unchecked)

For some reason,If checked It will decode PS3 games as LPCM and come up as Multi In. Unchecked It's Dolby Digital.
If LPCM Is checked, DYN EQ and VOL do not work.

Blu Ray HD Audio works fine.

For me this is only an issue for "some" movies I own that are in AAC 5.1 and need to go through LPCM. For everything else I just leave LPCM options unchecked.
I never use the Dyn Vol feature so that is also not an issue either way

PSN ID: KrakHed69
post #3055 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc860 View Post

Here's my findings...

I have the PS3 Slim bit-streaming to a 590 without the firmware update.
As long as I set the Audio Output Settings In the PS3 Manually and Un-check all the LPCM options to off, It's fine. (LPCM 2ch can not be unchecked)

For some reason,If checked It will decode PS3 games as LPCM and come up as Multi In. Unchecked It's Dolby Digital.
If LPCM Is checked, DYN EQ and VOL do not work.

Blu Ray HD Audio works fine.

For me this is only an issue for "some" movies I own that are in AAC 5.1 and need to go through LPCM. For everything else I just leave LPCM options unchecked.
I never use the Dyn Vol feature so that is also not an issue either way

my games are all played in multi in on my slim, does dolby digital sound better to you? i think multi in sounds great

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #3056 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:

well possibly you would still run into the LPCM issue, sub ver# = 00.26 would be required for that, but as long as your bitstreaming, you're good

I'm not bitstreaming, I have a ps3 fat.
post #3057 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:

my games are all played in multi in on my slim, does dolby digital sound better to you? i think multi in sounds great

DD Sounds better. But probably only because DYN EQ doesn't work for me in Multi In.

PSN ID: KrakHed69
post #3058 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not bitstreaming, I have a ps3 fat.

again, off jd's signature, you might be one of the lucky ones......

HDMI LPCM issue
Another issue that was just recently identified (and therefore not resolved by the above update) for these (4) models only is the inability for Dyn Eq and Dyn Vol to work correctly with HDMI LPCM audio (ie BDP is doing the decoding) even though the Dyn Eq and Dyn Vol lights are lit. Those models with serial numbers beginning with "9" would likely have this issue. A newer firmware update is now available (Jan '10) for these (4) models that would also include fixes for the bitstream issues mentioned above. All new production units beginning Jan '10 (serial number starting with "001") will include this latest firmware update. The serial number is located on the back of the AVR as well as on the box itself.

If the "LPCM" (which includes the "bitstream" firmware update as well) has been installed, the Main Ver # = 00.89, Sub Ver# = 00.26. (Note: The only difference between this update and the former update will be the change in Sub Ver# from 00.24 to 00.26)

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #3059 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:

again, off jd's signature, you might be one of the lucky ones......

Correct, which why I wrote that it seems I dodged a bullet. I'm using a PS3 fat, not bitstreaming and the Dynamic EQ is definitely doing something.

I wonder why mine seems to be working while others aren't.

Now if it wasn't working, there would be zero change in sound correct?
post #3060 of 5199 Old 03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I wonder why mine seems to be working while others aren't.

Now if it wasn't working, there would be zero change in sound correct?

Correct, zero change in sound. My understanding is that only certain batches were effected with the LPCM issue for some reason.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page