*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3451 of 5202 Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe that was my issue then? Cool post.

So all Dolby TrueHD BDs are affected by this then?? I don't have one to test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 5202 Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post

Maybe that was my issue then? Cool post.

So all Dolby TrueHD BDs are affected by this then?? I don't have one to test.

It may very well be an isolated issue but what it says to me is that if I think the audio should more in some way I will now check to see what is going on in my settings.
post #3453 of 5202 Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Im toying with the idea of buying a WD TV 1080p HD media player and a Seagate EDD and connect it to my Denon AVR 1610. My TV is Panasonic Plasma P42X10D (not full HD) and i have Profx 5.1 Fusion speakers.

Will all these have proper compatibility?

However before going ahead with the purchase i thought of getting the right advice at the forum.

Please suggest. Thanks

DENON AVR 2313CI; BLU RAY PLAYER: DENON DBP 2012; FRONTS: PARADIGM MONITOR 9 SERIES 7; CENTRE: PARADIGM C1 SERIES 7; SUB: POLK AUDIO DSW PRO 600; SURROUNDS: POLK AUDIO TSi 200; PROJECTOR: EPSON EH TW 3700; TV: PANASONIC 42”
post #3454 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 AM

HI All, I started going through threads here, but WOW are there alot, so I thought I would just go ahead and see if I can get some quick answers.

My 1610 was delivered yesterday and all hooked up last night.

My setup is a brand new HP Computer with HDMI run into the HDP port of the 1610. Then an HDMI run into the HD TV. Pretty basic stuff.

The problem is when I put Avatar Blu-Ray into the BD Rom drive, we are not getting HD Sound. It seems to only be playing 2 channel, and the display on the 1610 does not change to show the audio coming in.

Also, when I play some files off our HDD that are DTS HD, the display shows DTS only and the audio seems to be missing a good portion of the Bottom End. Sound does not fill the room.

The receiver that we replaced was about 7 or 8 years old, and does not know anything about HD sound, was BOOMING with the above mentioned Audio, so I thought the 1610 would simply Blow that receiver away.

I did not do the Auto Setup or Fiddle with much. The manual for this unit is absolutely Terrible, so I cant seem to find the right settings.

I did see a thread or two that simply said to select the STANDARD button, and that is supposed to get the exact audio being sent from the source. But I dont think its working. Avatar is just coming in as 2 channel and not the DTS MA its supposed to. I have to say, so far I am not impressed with the unit considering all of the reviews I read on it were pretty outstanding.

I could sure use some suggestions to point me in the right direction, and all would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!
post #3455 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
It would definitely help if you ran the AUTO SETUP as you cannot enable Audyssey, Dyn EQ or Dyn Vol features which are the prime reasons for the great reviews. That said, the AVR can only play what it's receiving ... which apparently isn't the HD audio. Make sure you have the correct audio track selected on the BD as well has have the correct settings in your HTPC to bitstream HD audio.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3456 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Read Batpigs FAQ from the get. This is an ubelievable receiver so user error is probably the issue here. Not sure about PC hookup but some one will help you out regarding that but read Batpigs guide and then the Denon manual will make more sense.
post #3457 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by oside-dave View Post

HI All, I started going through threads here, but WOW are there alot, so I thought I would just go ahead and see if I can get some quick answers.

My 1610 was delivered yesterday and all hooked up last night.

My setup is a brand new HP Computer with HDMI run into the HDP port of the 1610. Then an HDMI run into the HD TV. Pretty basic stuff.

The problem is when I put Avatar Blu-Ray into the BD Rom drive, we are not getting HD Sound. It seems to only be playing 2 channel, and the display on the 1610 does not change to show the audio coming in.

Also, when I play some files off our HDD that are DTS HD, the display shows DTS only and the audio seems to be missing a good portion of the Bottom End. Sound does not fill the room.

The receiver that we replaced was about 7 or 8 years old, and does not know anything about HD sound, was BOOMING with the above mentioned Audio, so I thought the 1610 would simply Blow that receiver away.

I did not do the Auto Setup or Fiddle with much. The manual for this unit is absolutely Terrible, so I cant seem to find the right settings.

I did see a thread or two that simply said to select the STANDARD button, and that is supposed to get the exact audio being sent from the source. But I dont think its working. Avatar is just coming in as 2 channel and not the DTS MA its supposed to. I have to say, so far I am not impressed with the unit considering all of the reviews I read on it were pretty outstanding.

I could sure use some suggestions to point me in the right direction, and all would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!

I might be talking out of my rear, but are you sure its not a problem with your computers setup? I know if your graphics card doesnt have the right drivers/software isntalled the computer itself might be sending the audio in stereo rather than DTS.

I have a ATI 4870x2 in my computer and have to select within the program I am sending the audio out in how its supposed to be formatted. In my case the DTS-MA format will be sent as LPCM rather than bitstreamed due to my graphics card limitations, so my reciever will never actually read DTS-MA on the front .

I would check those settings first and once verfied move onto the next step in the equasion (the reciever )

Also might check if you happen to have another blu-ray player hooking that up to it and watching the movie. If it sounds better its the computer, if it sounds the same its the reciever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #3458 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

What brand/model Bluray player do you have?

Quote:

You are missing out if Auto Setup is not performed.
post #3459 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 AM

I just hooked up my 590 last night, went through the auto calibration with the included mic, and for some reason it gave me an error with the center channel, i forget the exact wording of the error on the TV, but it had to do with the polarity of how the speaker was hooked up.

I double checked to make sure the speaker was hooked up correctly, and it was, + to RED, - to BLACK, on the speaker and the receiver...

Is this common? I just skipped and continued on with the other 5 autocalibration spots in my living room and the system sounds great...but im wondering if anyone else has had this error message, even through their speakers are definately hooked up correctly...?
post #3460 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

@o side dave:

What video card is in your computer? Chances are it cannot output TrueHD/DTS-HD. It may be able to do multi-channel PCM, but then you'd need a program to decode those codecs (such as PowerDVD Ultra or TMT3). You also need to setup Windows to output 5.1 over HDMI instead of the default stereo. Check out the HTPC section of this site if you need help.

And run auto setup! Audyssey MultEQ is the main reason this receiver is such a great value. It is an audible difference in sound.
post #3461 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegmi2 View Post

I just hooked up my 590 last night, went through the auto calibration with the included mic, and for some reason it gave me an error with the center channel, i forget the exact wording of the error on the TV, but it had to do with the polarity of how the speaker was hooked up.

I double checked to make sure the speaker was hooked up correctly, and it was, + to RED, - to BLACK, on the speaker and the receiver...

Is this common? I just skipped and continued on with the other 5 autocalibration spots in my living room and the system sounds great...but im wondering if anyone else has had this error message, even through their speakers are definately hooked up correctly...?

If all of your speakers are indeed wired correctly (and it has to be +/red -/black for every speaker), you can ignore this message. But I don't think it's very common to get it.
post #3462 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:

Yes, many of us have gotten this message as well and is generally due to either the way the speaker was made or in some cases where it's placed in your room (ie. the error might not display if the speaker gets moved). You did the right thing though .... as long as the wires are checked to be connected +/+ and -/- then you simply press SKIP and you're good to go.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3463 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 08:22 AM

Ok cool, yea my center is a Bose VCS-10, it sits with about a 1/2" gap under my new 60E88UN, which is wall mounted above the mantle my center speaker sits on. Maybe the error was because the speaker is up a little higher than the "ear level" i had the autocalibration mic sitting at?

Either way, thanks for the response, good to hear I did the right thing = )
post #3464 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 AM

The video card is an ATI Radeon HD 4350 and says it supports DTS and Dolby Digital. I did the configure speakers setup and all is well there.

All speakers are connected.

I will try the auto setup today as well, and see if that helps.
post #3465 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 08:34 AM

Oh and the Rom is listed as an HP BDDVDRW CH20L SCSI CD Rom Device.
post #3466 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

The drive doesn't matter. The ATI 4000 series of video cards do not bitstream the new codecs, but with the proper software they can send out multi-channel PCM. You'll need to configure your blu-ray player software to decode the audio and make sure that Windows is setup to output 5.1 over the HDMI connection.

If you don't mind dropping down to regular DD/DTS, then set your playback software to bitstream and the receiver should pick up the regular 5.1 signal instead of 2-channel PCM. You may need to manually select the 5.1 audio track in the Avatar menu. For whatever reason, some BDs default to 2-channel PCM.

What software are you using? It's possible that HP didn't give you the full version. The OEM version of PowerDVD that came with my BD drive was limited to decoding 2-channel audio, so it was stereo or DD/DTS unless I paid for the full version.
post #3467 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 AM

Wouldn't it be best to just change out the Video Card to one that supports the proper decoding? I would really like to be able to get the tru DTS MA audio (Hence the purchase of the 1610)

If so, Which might you suggest?
post #3468 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 AM

HP Provided their Media Smart Player, and so far (with the last receiver), the output sound has been pretty Darn AWESOME! Considering the drive has not defaulted to 2 channel before, I would say its not now... We watched Avatar last week with the Old Receiver and it WAS NICE!!!!
post #3469 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 AM

I was hoping to be able to get the audio to passthrough to the receiver and let it do the decoding. I assume this is not possible if going through a video card?
post #3470 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
Quote:

Ok cool, yea my center is a Bose VCS-10

the reason for the "phase error" is almost certainly the Bose speaker. Bose uses proprietary "multipolar" speakers that make the audio sound more diffuse and it probably tricked Audyssey into thinking the speaker might be out of phase. As others have noted, if you confirm the wiring is correct then just hit "skip" and move on, it's simply a warning that something might be off.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3471 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Any of the ATI 5000 series cards can bitstream the new codecs. The 5450 is around $40 on Newegg.

Again, the receiver and drive makes no difference. It's the disc or the software that is sending out 2 channels. Look in the settings for both to make sure it's setup right. The receiver will show "MULTI CH IN" on the display.

It is definitely possible to bitstream the audio data to the receiver for decoding. Your current card can bitstream DD/DTS. To bitstream TrueHD/DTS-HD, you'll need to upgrade the video card.

Bottom line, there is zero difference between decoding in the receiver and decoding in the PC. I'm not familiar with HP's software, so I can't step you through it. Look through any audio options that are available to you and make sure the program is doing the decoding. Assuming Windows 7, you can open up control panel and search for "manage audio devices". Then select the HDMI port and click "Configure". Confirm that it's set for 5.1.

If PC does the decoding, the receiver shows "MULTI CH IN". If the receiver does the decoding it displays "TrueHD" or "DTS-HD" and a blue LED lights up. The audio coming out of the speakers is identical.

edit: also make sure you have the latest updates for the HP software.
post #3472 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

this always bears repeating, but if the receiver is NOT showing the proper surround mode when you hit the "Standard" button, and the Audio Input Signal (check the OSD > Information menu) is wrong, THE PROBLEM IS THE SOURCE. The AVR doesn't control what audio it gets, all it can do is play what you give it!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3473 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:

I was hoping to be able to get the audio to passthrough to the receiver and let it do the decoding. I assume this is not possible if going through a video card?

It is possible however only if your computer has a ATI Radeon 5xxx series graphics card that supports it. The 4xxx series will only send as LPCM as mentioned in the other posts.

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #3474 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 AM

I just tried the Auto Setup and it Did its test tones (even the BACK when its set to NONE), and its finishing with CAUTION and the option to Retry, Cancel or Skip?

So Now I am Stuck! HELP.
post #3475 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

phase errors were just discussed in this thread a mere two hours ago... try READING and check a few posts up

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3476 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just tried the Auto Setup and it Did its test tones (even the BACK when its set to NONE), and its finishing with CAUTION and the option to Retry, Cancel or Skip?

So Now I am Stuck! HELP.

What message is it saying? CAUTION can mean a lot of things. Have you read through Batpig's excellent setup guide?
post #3477 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM

I will check all of my windows settings, and right now Avatar is in the drive and the display on the 1610 says Multi CH IN (and sometimes just Multi IN), but nothing is coming from the Rear Speakers still.
post #3478 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 AM

It just says Caution, Then below lists Front R and Surr R-L, and lists the options mentioned previously. A bit confusing..
post #3479 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will check all of my windows settings, and right now Avatar is in the drive and the display on the 1610 says Multi CH IN (and sometimes just Multi IN), but nothing is coming from the Rear Speakers still.

Are you sure they're plugged in? The no sound issue and the CAUTION in auto setup leads me to believe it's a wiring problem.
post #3480 of 5202 Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 AM

I just Selected Skip, and now i am in Position 5 Test Tone.. I will keep you posted.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Avr590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page