*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 117 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3481 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, well I finished the Auto Setup and it didn't help with regards to Avatar.

HP Media Smart is telling me the Audio is DTS HD MA and I made sure it was selected in the movie setup as well.

I configured the Video Card to 5.1 Surround and set up the Speakers in the Windows Configuration as well.

I checked the 1610 by using the Status button, and its showing PCM.

So I went ahead and switched the Audio Track on the disc to Dolby Digital, and that didn't seem to do anything either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:

it didn't help with regards to Avatar.

as I just said above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

this always bears repeating, but if the receiver is NOT showing the proper surround mode when you hit the "Standard" button, and the Audio Input Signal (check the OSD > Information menu) is wrong, THE PROBLEM IS THE SOURCE. The AVR doesn't control what audio it gets, all it can do is play what you give it!

Something is off with your computer's output settings, trust me. When you check the Audio Input Signal, what is it reporting as the source input? If it says PCM 2/0/0 that means it is only getting a 2-channel input.

Just in case, did the auto setup detect all your speakers properly? e.g. it reported a 5.1 setup?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3483 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oside-dave View Post

I checked the 1610 by using the Status button, and its showing PCM.

It seems like you've narrowed it down to the HP software. You can double-check this by checking if the receiver shows PCM 2/0/0 (2 fronts, 0 rears, 0 subs) or PCM 3/2/1 (3 fronts, 2 rears, 1 sub).

Is it just Avatar that has the problem? People have been having all sorts of problems with that disc because of the copy protection. Make sure you have the latest version of your playback software and latest firmware for your BD drive (both available on HP's support site).
post #3484 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 PM

I tried a couple of files from my HDD. When I play one with DTS Audio, it shows DTS Audio on the Display, and when I play one with Dolby Digital 5.1 it says Dolby D on the display, and I can see its also 3/2/1. I could swear a couple of my files had DTS HD, but I have yet to get an HD on the display (I will have to double check).

This being said - The files on my HDD are being played with Media Player. Media Smart is used to play from the BD Rom Drive.

That being said - Avatar played perfectly last week with Excellent Sound in Media Smart, the only difference today is Now we are going thru the HDMI video card, to the 1610, and last week we were still using the Old Receiver and a Digital Audio Cable from the onboard sound.
post #3485 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried a couple of files from my HDD. When I play one with DTS Audio, it shows DTS Audio on the Display, and when I play one with Dolby Digital 5.1 it says Dolby D on the display, and I can see its also 3/2/1. I could swear a couple of my files had DTS HD, but I have yet to get an HD on the display (I will have to double check).

This being said - The files on my HDD are being played with Media Player. Media Smart is used to play from the BD Rom Drive.

That being said - Avatar played perfectly last week with Excellent Sound in Media Smart, the only difference today is Now we are going thru the HDMI video card, to the 1610, and last week we were still using the Old Receiver and a Digital Audio Cable from the onboard sound.

Well first of all, there is no way for your computer to send an HD audio signal to the receiver, so it doesn't matter if the file is in HD audio or not; it will be automatically downsampled to regular DTS/DD.

The big difference there is going from digital coax/toslink to HDMI. Totally different formats. My guess is that the HP software can't do multi-channel PCM over HDMI. Poke around the HP settings and set it to bitstream the audio. It should automatically send regular DTS/DD then.

As a last resort, you could always go back to using digital coax/optical for your audio. You can still use HDMI for video if you want to; you'll just need to make sure the receiver is setup to look for audio on that input instead of the HDMI.
post #3486 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM

Isn't FFDshow Supposed to pass the HD Audio to the Receiver?
post #3487 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Isn't FFDshow Supposed to pass the HD Audio to the Receiver?

It will if the computer can, but your computer cannot. This has been said to you multiple times.

Quote:

The ATI 4000 series of video cards do not bitstream the new codecs

Quote:

Your current card can bitstream DD/DTS. To bitstream TrueHD/DTS-HD, you'll need to upgrade the video card.

Quote:

It is possible however only if your computer has a ATI Radeon 5xxx series graphics card that supports it. The 4xxx series will only send as LPCM as mentioned in the other posts.

Quote:

there is no way for your computer to send an HD audio signal to the receiver

post #3488 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM

OK, I was misunderstanding. The Computer Can -> The Video Card Cannot.

So I am off to get a better video card, and work on getting MediaSmart to Bitstream to HDMI.

Thanks for the help!
post #3489 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Broke down and ordered one from Electronics Expo today. I helped a roommate set up her 1910 a month ago. I like that one enough to order the 1610. I turned down the extended warranty. Hopefully, the sale guy wasn't pissed off and sent me a bad unit.

BTW, the set up for the 1910 was super easy. I didn't need to read any manual or guide to do it.
post #3490 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 03:54 PM

Just an Update to the MediaSmart player. You have to actually Stop the Movie, take the disc out of the player and restart MediaSmart.

Click the Settings Icon (small white gear in the lower off center position on the player), Click the Audio Tab - in the drop down, there is a selection to Set HDMI Passthrough. This selection is not available with a disc in the unit apparently (which is why I never saw it before).

Now its playing the DTS Surround through all speakers.

Hope this helps anyone else having HDMI Audio issues using HP MediaSmart.
post #3491 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

...BTW, the set up for the 1910 was super easy. I didn't need to read any manual or guide to do it.

Hi David, welcome. Just wondering, Japanese Engineer Broken English wouldn't happen to be your native language?

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #3492 of 5196 Old 04-29-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Just an Update to the MediaSmart player. You have to actually Stop the Movie, take the disc out of the player and restart MediaSmart.

Click the Settings Icon (small white gear in the lower off center position on the player), Click the Audio Tab - in the drop down, there is a selection to Set HDMI Passthrough. This selection is not available with a disc in the unit apparently (which is why I never saw it before).

Now its playing the DTS Surround through all speakers.

Hope this helps anyone else having HDMI Audio issues using HP MediaSmart.

Thanks for posting the fix for your issue.
post #3493 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 01:51 AM

Im toying with the idea of buying a WD TV 1080p HD media player and a Seagate EDD and connect it to my Denon AVR 1610. My TV is Panasonic Plasma P42X10D (not full HD) and i have Profx 5.1 Fusion speakers.

Will all these have proper compatibility?

However before going ahead with the purchase i thought of getting the right advice at the forum.

Please suggest. Thanks

DENON AVR 2313CI; BLU RAY PLAYER: DENON DBP 2012; FRONTS: PARADIGM MONITOR 9 SERIES 7; CENTRE: PARADIGM C1 SERIES 7; SUB: POLK AUDIO DSW PRO 600; SURROUNDS: POLK AUDIO TSi 200; PROJECTOR: EPSON EH TW 3700; TV: PANASONIC 42”
post #3494 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 05:34 AM

Hey Guys, I just beginning to put together a sound system to go with my first First HDTV (LG 50PK550) and Blu-Ray (LG BD550). For now I just Bought a pair of Energy CF-30's Floor standers and a Denon AVR-1610 to start with..

Now My question is if I wanted to upgrade to a 5.1 in the future would it be ok to use these Energy CF-30's as my fronts or would that be Overkill?

And Could the Denon AVR-1610 handle all of that?

Keep in mind I am a Super Noob at Audio right now

Thank You
post #3495 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 05:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
The Denon can run them in a 5.1 as well and it wouldn't be overkill as you can never have too good a speaker, although you'll likely want to add a center and sub before you add the surrounds if building slowly. Also if using the setup for primarily movies/TV then don't skimp on the center speaker ... should be the same quality or better as the front mains.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3496 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanmanx2k View Post

New one out. Got some nice upgrades.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5302.asp

120 watts per channel x 5 channels (6 ohms, 1 kHz, .7% THD)
Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIz decoding
DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS ES 6.1 Discrete, DTS ES 6.1 Matrix, DTS Neo:6 decoding
HDMI 1.4a includes 3D pass-through compatibility and Audio Return Channel
Analog video to HDMI upconversion, with 1080p 24Hz/60Hz HDMI pass-through
Audyssey MultEQ automatic room acoustic measuring and correction system
Audyssey Dynamic Volume, Audyssey Dynamic EQ
4 HDMI inputs, 1 component video input

I missed the news about upcoming models before buying one 1610 two days ago. Should have waited. So folks who are about to buy the 1610 should definitely wait for this new model.
post #3497 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

I missed the news about upcoming models before buying one 1610 two days ago. Should have waited. So folks who are about to buy the 1610 should definitely wait for this new model.

If you absolutely need 3D support or the extra HDMI input. Other than that it appears to be exactly the same. (they upped the wattage rating, but it's at a higher distortion level, so the amps are probably the same).

It still may be good to wait though, since the 1611 will undoubtedly drive down 1610 prices.
post #3498 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So folks who are about to buy the 1610 should definitely wait for this new model.

why? the only reason I can see would be if you care about 3D (which I don't). Outside of 3D / HDMI 1.4 it's basically the same receiver with an extra HDMI input (but fewer legacy inputs). On the contrary, I think this is a great time to get the current year's model at a discount price!

Quote:

(they upped the wattage rating, but it's at a higher distortion level, so the amps are probably the same).

as noted before this is pure numbers gaming. They quoted the 6ohm spec instead of the 8ohm spec, look at the AVR 591 product sheet and you will see the 8-ohm specs are identical (75W/ch at 0.08% THD): http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-591_Lit423.pdf

They probably just got sick of people buying entry level Yamaha's because they claim their 18lb $299 model has 110W/ch and capitulated to the marketing BS

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3499 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Damn a jump from 75 watts per channel to 120??

My 1610 sounds pretty powerful as it is. Huh.

e.t.a ok now i see the experts have chimed in to clarify!!! lol
post #3500 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am still having trouble getting DTS using a Sony BDP-N460. I have an HD cable box the Sony BR hooked up by HDMI. When watching HD cable, the Denon displays Dolby Digital. Watching Coraline DVD on the Sony and the Denon displays Dolby Digital. I put in the Avatar BR disc and all I get is either PL II cinema or DTS NEO:6 when I press the STD button. The Sony has the latest firmware and other owners have not had issues playing the disc. Picture looks great on the HDTV.

Viewing the Information menu 2-2 Audio Input Signal on the Denon it shows:
Surround Mode: DTS NEO:6
Signal: PCM
fs: 48kHz
Format: 2/0/0

Under the Sony's menus I have selected:
Audio: Auto (instead of PCM)
BD Audio: Direct (instead of Mix)
Audio ATT: Off (instead of On)
Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital (instead of Down Mix PCM)
DTS: DTS (instead of Down Mix PCM)
48 kHz/96 kHz PCM: 48 kHz/16 bit (instead of 96 kHz/24 bit)

I have selected English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio under the Set Up Menu for Avatar. The display on the TV during playback says the Sony is outputting English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio but the Denon display says the input signal is PCM.

I had the same problem watching Master and Commander a few weeks ago and that is regular DTS disc. I have yet to see DTS on the Denon display. I know that if the Input states PCM, it is usually the source, but I have tried every menu on the Sony and Denon I could, looking for the Aha! selection, but I'm just not finding it. Seems troubling that the Sony and TV displays DTS, but the Denon displays PCM.

I am not sure which version firmware the Denon AVR-590 has. The serial number starts with 90 and I will check it tonight using the directions for checking it in the link under JDSmoothies' signature. Seems like that post has more to do with the Denon displaying the DTS-HD but not outputting sound. I get sound, just PCM stereo that the Denon applies the NEO:6 to.

Some ideas I will exhaust:
1. Recheck DTS checked under HDMI setup on the Sony (PS3 problem for some?).
2. Swap cable
3. Check Menu>Manual Set Up>HDMI Set Up>Audio Out (?)
4. Drag a couple of old DVD players out of the closet and see if they will output the DTS from the Master and Commander DVD
5. Reset the microprocessor

Is there anything I am overlooking? Does anyone else use the Sony BDP-N460?

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #3501 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

as I just said yesterday:

Quote:
this always bears repeating, but if the receiver is NOT showing the proper surround mode when you hit the "Standard" button, and the Audio Input Signal (check the OSD > Information menu) is wrong, THE PROBLEM IS THE SOURCE. The AVR doesn't control what audio it gets, all it can do is play what you give it!

If the Denon is reporting the input is PCM 2/0/0, then that is what it is getting! The problem is not on the AVR side of things.

Something is off in the BDP settings that is not allowing it to bitstream the full HD audio content. It sounds like it is working correctly with legacy Dolby Digital.... out of curiosity, have you tried a TrueHD disc? I have a feeling the issue is not about DTS, but about hi-rez audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master) versus legacy audio.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #3502 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Only get BRs through Netflix so don't have any others right now. I did watch one a month or so ago, and I did get the "Blue Light" for Dolby. Don't remember the movie (Gran Torino? Dolby TruHD?) or what the display said. Had Blue Light (wife really didn't care) and just watched movie.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #3503 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post

Only get BRs through Netflix so don't have any others right now. I did watch one a month or so ago, and I did get the "Blue Light" for Dolby. Don't remember the movie (Gran Torino? Dolby TruHD?) or what the display said. Had Blue Light (wife really didn't care) and just watched movie.

I'd set the PCM to 24-bit/96KHz, as it's higher quality than 16-bit/48KHz. It's definitely something on the BD player, since the Denon reports it's getting only 2 channels of audio.

I looked it up and the BD Audio setting of "Direct" should be bitstreaming the audio, while "Mix" decodes it inside the BD player and outputs LPCM. I'd try the Mix setting and see if you get all of the channels. That would at least tell you that it's not the disc itself.
post #3504 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Thankfully I can finally say I am one of the family as my 1610 is sitting in the cubicle with me. Now to get it home and setup.

My partial setup until I move into my new place will be split:

ATI 4870x2a - HP 2509M Monitor via DVI
ATI 4870x2b - Denon 1610 via DVI - HDMI adaptor - 32" Samsung TV

The Denon will be hooked up to a set of Polk Monitor 40's and a Polk CS1. I have a Sony HTIAB sub as well but its worthless and probably wont be connected.

I am planning on buying two of these bad boys running the following setups:

Master bedroom: Uverse & Xbox 360 (via HDMI) - Denon 1610 - 32" Samsung LCD

Speakers: Polk Monitor 40's & CS1 w/ later addition of PSW125 (upon purchase of 2 SVS PC-12NSD's for main theater

Guest Bedroom: Computer (via DVI-HDMI adaptor) - Denon 1610 - HP 2509m 1080p Monitor

Speakers: Infinity Primus 162's and later additions of Infinity PC350 center & HSU STF-1 or Premeir Acoustics PA-120 sub

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #3505 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

ATI 4870x2b - Denon 1610 via DVI - HDMI adaptor - 32" Samsung TV

Check the firmware version on your 1610 (click on last link in my sig for directions) before you get too involved with your setup as unless it's got the Main Ver #89 and Sub Ver #26 you're likely to have audio problems using the HDMI-DVI connection to the Sammy. AFAIK, those units starting with 001 will not have it and we're still waiting on a guy who just got one with a 003 serial number to see if it's got the Sub Ver #26.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #3506 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Check the firmware version on your 1610 (click on last link in my sig for directions) before you get too involved with your setup as unless it's got the Main Ver #89 and Sub Ver #26 you're likely to have audio problems using the HDMI-DVI connection to the Sammy. AFAIK, those units starting with 001 will not have it and we're still waiting on a guy who just got one with a 003 serial number to see if it's got the Sub Ver #26.

I was a little unclear there. The signal goes from the 4870x2 to the Denon 1610 via the DVI-HDMI connection. From the reciever to the Sammy is pure HDMI. Does that make sense, and if so will I still possibly encounter a problem?

Also if necessary I can hook in my ATI 4550 card which has an HDMI connection and run it that way (just would suck hardcore if I had to cause I just removed it and recabled everything last night )

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #3507 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 12:48 PM
585-645-1006

Sorry, I misread the connection to the Sammy TV. Generally no issues with HDMI-DVI to the AVR.

post #3508 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I misread the connection to the Sammy TV. Generally no issues with HDMI-DVI to the AVR.

Nah, the wording was a little to ambigious so was more my fault. Thanks for letting me know. Gonna take off an hour early to go plug it all in

My Setup

Quote:

post #3509 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM
585-645-1006

Please check your firmware Main/Sub version and report back as we have yet to have someone report one with the latest firmware installed. Thanks.

post #3510 of 5196 Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please check your firmware Main/Sub version and report back as we have yet to have someone report one with the latest firmware installed. Thanks.

Will post that shortly. Got all my sources hooked up and got sound from them. I have done any real auto -configuration or messing with equalization, thats later tonight.

I do have one quick question that I couldnt find fast enough in the manual (and I am on my way out the door for dinner w/ the fiancee so I cant search more).

I just want to listen to the speakers I put into the Front Speaker B channels Only. How do I do that?

If you can give me a page number thats perfect or if you can tell me real quick even better. I promise to attempt to read the manual this weekend.

Right now I have the following sources hooked up:

5 disc DVD player connected via HDMI and Coaxial -SAT/CBL
Uverse box via Component and Optical (need to buy another cheap HDMI cable) - DVR
Computer via HDMI - HDP

Everything out via HDMI to 32" Sammy

Big step up from the Sony already.......

My Setup

Quote:

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page