*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 5202 Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So you have a DVI connection on your TV?

In that case you will not get any audio. DVI does not output audio through a single cable like HDMI. You have to attach a separate audio connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 5202 Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes the tv has only a DVI connection and I know the audio will not play from the tv speakers. The problem is the audio will not play through speakers attached directly to the Denon.
post #393 of 5202 Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Make sure you have the HDMI audio turned on in the DVD players setup menu.
post #394 of 5202 Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Branstrom View Post

Yes the tv has only a DVI connection and I know the audio will not play from the tv speakers. The problem is the audio will not play through speakers attached directly to the Denon.

Just like Qui said. Check all your settings on the DVD setup. It should play.
post #395 of 5202 Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
It SHOULD play but there have been reports on other Denon threads of DVI/HDMI handshake failures with the TV causing the audio to not work on the AVR. It's sucky but that may be the issue unfortunately.

You may want to investigate whether your TV has any firmware updates available.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #396 of 5202 Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

I think I've got my settings finally worked out. I used Audyssey to get the distances and such, which worked accurately. I decided to change the channel levels and set them higher, between -3db to 0db. And set the crossovers to 100hz for the fronts, 60hz for the center, and 100hz for the surrounds. And then I turned Audyssey off. I didn't care for the effect that Audyssey caused on the surrounds. It just seemed unnatural to me. With Audyssey off, there's more a sense of directionality in the surround field.

I decided to put the A5's up front and the T15's in the rear. It does seem to blend better. I think I'm just going to order a few more RC1's and use them for all of the speakers or at least for the fronts.
post #397 of 5202 Old 08-11-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And then I turned Audyssey off.

be aware that there is no "Audyssey". There are actually THREE different technologies.

Audyssey MultEQ is what filters and balances the freq. response of your speakers -- it should always be left ON.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is the thing that boosts the bass and surrounds -- you can turn this part off (if you find the "boost" to be objectionable or unnatural) without giving up the benefits of the MultEQ filters.

Audyssey Dynamic Volume layers on top of Dynamic EQ to compress dynamics and volume swings.

So, if you don't like the effect of Dynamic EQ, nothing wrong with turning it off.... but you can still leave the room EQ set to "Audyssey" as this is a SEPARATE thing which is filtering your speakers to account for your room acoustics. No reason to lose the benefits of MultEQ just because you don't like Dynamic EQ.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #398 of 5202 Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

be aware that there is no "Audyssey". There are actually THREE different technologies.

Audyssey MultEQ is what filters and balances the freq. response of your speakers -- it should always be left ON.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is the thing that boosts the bass and surrounds -- you can turn this part off (if you find the "boost" to be objectionable or unnatural) without giving up the benefits of the MultEQ filters.

Audyssey Dynamic Volume layers on top of Dynamic EQ to compress dynamics and volume swings.

So, if you don't like the effect of Dynamic EQ, nothing wrong with turning it off.... but you can still leave the room EQ set to "Audyssey" as this is a SEPARATE thing which is filtering your speakers to account for your room acoustics. No reason to lose the benefits of MultEQ just because you don't like Dynamic EQ.

I quite like the sound of having the Audyssey settings turned off. It feels more distinct and clear, but I forgot about just turning Dynamic EQ off. I'll have to try the Audyssey settings again with Dynamic EQ turned off. I've always had Dynamic Volume turned off. Aye! There's too many settings on these new receivers!
post #399 of 5202 Old 08-11-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, it's a bit complicated with all these "features"!

There are three buttons on the remote that control the three Audyssey features separately. If Dynamic EQ + Volume is on you get the "green light". If Dynamic EQ is on (w/o Dyn. Vol) you get the "red light". If both of the Dynamic functions are off the light is turned off, but again you can still use the MultEQ filters.

The "MULTEQ" button on the remote will cycle between the different EQ settings. There are three Audyssey target curves (click here for explanation) which use the Audyssey filters, and then you have the option of "OFF" for no EQ, and "MANUAL" if you'd like to set your own EQ settings with a 9-band graphic EQ.

So, with Dynamic EQ/Volume turned off, use that "MULTEQ" button to toggle between the EQ's. Note that you can disable any of those EQ curves by going to the "EQ Customize" section of the "Audio Setup" menu (see pg 28 of the manual). For example, you can set everything to "not used" except "Audyssey" and then the "MULTEQ" will simply toggle between "OFF" and "AUDYSSEY" and you can compare the effects with a quick A/B switch.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #400 of 5202 Old 08-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the information. I'll play around with those settings again today. Thanks.
post #401 of 5202 Old 08-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Played around again with the Audyssey settings, turning DynamicEQ off, and to be honest, I still prefer the sound without Audyssey turned on and using my own personal settings. The sound is a little too muffled using Audyssey for my tastes. It's not distinct and clarity is lacking, particularly in the front soundstage. I'm sure it works for most people, but I'm just not digging the effect of Audyssey.
post #402 of 5202 Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

you may want to try re-running the Audyssey calibration, "more muffled" and "lacking clarity" is a very rare comment when discussing Audyssey EQ results, it's usually the opposite. Anyway, all that really matters is that YOUR ears are happy so enjoy

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #403 of 5202 Old 08-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

you may want to try re-running the Audyssey calibration, "more muffled" and "lacking clarity" is a very rare comment when discussing Audyssey EQ results, it's usually the opposite. Anyway, all that really matters is that YOUR ears are happy so enjoy

I've run Audyssey about a dozen times now. It got better with each run, but I still feel that it's more distinctive without it. Thanks for all the information and helping me out.
post #404 of 5202 Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

I have one more quick question - what tone controls does using Direct bypass? It mentions this in the manual, but is not entirely clear. Could you clarify please? Thanks.
post #405 of 5202 Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 AM

Thanks everyone for all the info. I've narrowed my search to the Denon 1610 or the Pioneer 919. I'm still pouring over Batpig's very generous info on Audyssey and comparing it to info about the Pioneer's MCACC. I have noted that MCACC does not include the sub in its automated setup, but it does seem to allow for more manual tweaking. On the other hand I like that the Denon includes the sub. I have a very live room and I feel there is a lack of continuity between my speakers and the sub.

Question: will the Denon be able to power my speakers? Whenever I see it in stores it is displayed or bundled with pretty small satellite systems. My front mains are JBL S36II with maximum rated power of 150w. My satellites are rated at 10-100w. I never come close to using the full power of the speakers. I'm not looking to blast out the neighbors, but I do want to be certain the receiver is appropriate for the speakers.
post #406 of 5202 Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I personally prefer Audyssey over MCACC. The 1610 has a better amp section than the 919. Pioneer along with some others have really started to scale back their amp sections. Shame really.
post #407 of 5202 Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

I have one more quick question - what tone controls does using Direct bypass? It mentions this in the manual, but is not entirely clear. Could you clarify please? Thanks.

DIRECT mode bypasses pretty much everything -- no Audyssey, no tone controls (bass/treble), no "Restorer", no bass management. It's a "purist" audio setting intended for 2-ch music listening (or multich SACD type stuff with a multichannel PCM input) when you have larger full range speakers and you don't want any digital processing getting in the way. All your speakers will be treated as "large" (i.e. no bass management).

DIRECT modes are really only useful with PCM input signals (either 2-ch or multich) and when you have large, full-range speakers.

If you want to use the bass/treble controls, bass management, etc. you should stick to "STEREO" mode for 2-ch listening.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #408 of 5202 Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

I personally prefer Audyssey over MCACC. The 1610 has a better amp section than the 919. Pioneer along with some others have really started to scale back their amp sections. Shame really.

Yes, one of the things I like about the Denon is the amp, which I believe is more efficient. That's why I'm assuming I can get away with less power for my JBLs. (Comments welcome) I also like the passthrough for HDMI.

If the lower powered Denon can power my speakers, then the Audyssey seems great in theory. I'm still concerned by the number of comments in multiple forums about booming bass.

I do like to tweak settings to my taste and that's where the Pioneer seems to offer some advantages with its 9 point GUI equalizer. I'm concerned I lose some of that flexibility with the Denon.
post #409 of 5202 Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

DIRECT mode bypasses pretty much everything -- no Audyssey, no tone controls (bass/treble), no "Restorer", no bass management. It's a "purist" audio setting intended for 2-ch music listening (or multich SACD type stuff with a multichannel PCM input) when you have larger full range speakers and you don't want any digital processing getting in the way. All your speakers will be treated as "large" (i.e. no bass management).

DIRECT modes are really only useful with PCM input signals (either 2-ch or multich) and when you have large, full-range speakers.

If you want to use the bass/treble controls, bass management, etc. you should stick to "STEREO" mode for 2-ch listening.

I listened to a few lossless tracks using Direct and got plenty of bass from the subwoofer. After turning tone controls off using the standard (I think that's what it's called) mode, I couldn't really distinguish it from Direct to be honest.
post #410 of 5202 Old 08-14-2009, 09:20 AM

so AVR 590 is the exact same model as the 1610?
post #411 of 5202 Old 08-14-2009, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
Have a weird problem with my Panasonic DMP-BD35K BluRay player and the AVR-590.

I have the DMP-BD35K connected via HDMI to the 'DVD' labeled port. It appears to work fine except that, every so often I'll see a white flash on the screen.

It seems to happen every 15-20 minutes as far as I can figure. If I connect the BluRay player directly to the TV this doesn't happen. The Panasonic is updated to the latest firmware.

Anyone heard of this problem?
post #412 of 5202 Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

I listened to a few lossless tracks using Direct and got plenty of bass from the subwoofer.

the subwoofer gets "double bass" if it's on in Direct mode, because the other speakers are getting a full range signal. You can turn the sub on/off manually in Direct mode under "Surround Parameters".

Quote:

After turning tone controls off using the standard (I think that's what it's called) mode, I couldn't really distinguish it from Direct to be honest.

Yeah.... if you aren't using Audyssey or tone controls, there isn't going to be much difference.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #413 of 5202 Old 08-14-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdane View Post

Anyone heard of this problem?

never heard of that one! but sounds like standard HDMI goofiness. try swapping HDMI cables, swapping HDMI ports (both on the AVR, e.g. assigning "HDMI-3" to DVD instead of "HDMI-2" and swapping the cable on the AVR.... and the TV, e.g. switching to a different HDMI input on the TV) and see if the behavior persists.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #414 of 5202 Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 AM

I amd having hdmi connection issues with my denon 590 and my samsung 2550 blu ray player. When I power on the tv then blu ray then avr it takes around two minutes for my tv to develop a picture and me to get sound. The blu ray player of course works fine directly connected to the tv ? I have tried turning things on in diffrent orders and changing various hdmi settings on the denon. At the moment I have lip sync off, hdmi audio out amp, hdmi control off, input mode as hdmi, decode mode as auto. Are there any other settings I can adjust and anyone else with a samsung blu ray player is yours working ok? Thx all ( the tv is a pioneer plasma from 2006 and my blu ray has up to date firmware and the cec-anynet feature turned off)
post #415 of 5202 Old 08-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the subwoofer gets "double bass" if it's on in Direct mode, because the other speakers are getting a full range signal. You can turn the sub on/off manually in Direct mode under "Surround Parameters".

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Yeah.... if you aren't using Audyssey or tone controls, there isn't going to be much difference.

I think I'm just going to stick with listening to it like this. Petty, but I like seeing TrueHD/DTS-HDMA on the display instead of Direct.
post #416 of 5202 Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnells View Post

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply
Here is the information you requested.

Channel levels are as follows:
Front L = + .5dB
Center = - 6.0dB
Front R = + .5dB
Surround R = + .5db
Surround L = - 1.0dB
Subwoofer = -7.0dB

Crossover levels are as follows:
Front = 40Hz
Center = 60Hz
Surround = 80Hz

SW Mode = LFE+Main (set this way at the recommendation of other poster)

I do hear sub rumbling

Thanks for all you help in this matter.

Hi, My speakers are, front L/R Polk RT600i, Center Polk CS245i, Rear Two Polk RT10's and the sub is a Polk PSW 350. SW Mode is LFE. The crossover is, Front 60hz, Center 40hz and Surround 80hz. My questions is, am I too better off setting them all to 80hz? Especially for deep low bass.
post #417 of 5202 Old 08-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

well i just ordered the 1610 and this will be my first receiver to do the HD sound modes. really looking forward to getting it all set up

"I believe, that whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you....Stranger" - Joker
post #418 of 5202 Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 PM

Okay. I finally got my system set up. I have a Denon 590 Receiver with a 5.1 setup with 5 Mirage Nanosat Prestige speakers in including the CC center channel speaker. I also have a Yamaha YST-FSW100 subwoofer which I am using from another system. I'm playing around with the Audyssey set up. I just placed the microphone at the top of my chair and did a test with just the center position. I have it calculate and then check on the crossover's for each speaker. I am getting high results like 150hz & 200hz depending on the speaker. It sounds too high to me. Is this because I just did the set up with one position or is it something to do with my subwoofer? I know the subwoofer is rated to go up to 200 hz. The speakers are all set to small. The channel level adjustments suggested seem small so I don't think it is a volume related problem with the speakers or the subwoofer. Basically, this crossover stuff is making my head spin and I can use some advice Sorry for being such a newbie at this. I can go through the test using the recommended 6 positions if you think it would help.
post #419 of 5202 Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

I found that the more listening positions you use when setting up, the lower the crossovers will be. With one position, they were as high as 150hz, but using two or three positions, they were knocked down to 100-110hz. You're probably better off just setting them all to 80hz.
post #420 of 5202 Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM

It's not recommended to lower the crossovers values set by the calibration.

Quote:

VII. After Calibration

A. Raise the speaker crossover settings, if desired.

1. Raising the crossover frequency from the calibrated setting does not affect the channel correction implemented by Audyssey.

2. Lowering the crossover frequency from the calibrated setting is not recommended.
a. Audyssey will not provide correction to the satellite speakers lower than the frequency it measures as the -3 dB point.

Avenger - read the setup guide here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Avr590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page