*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5196 Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Also, by "component" I believe you are referring to the standard red/white RCA analog inputs (since the Wii doesn't have digital audio)? These inputs are NOT assignable, but they match up with the "names" they are labeled with.

There are four analog audio inputs, pre-labeled as "DVD", "SAT/CBL", "VCR", and "DVR" (in the middle, by the speaker posts). And you can rename the inputs as you want. So, for example, let's say you use the "DVR" input for your Wii. You would plug the component video inputs into Component Video #2 (pre-labeled "DVR" by default) and the red/white audio inputs into the ones labeled "DVR". Then, in the INPUT SETUP menu you just rename the "DVR" input to say "Wii" and you are good to go.

Again, everything is ASSIGNABLE except for the basic composite (red/white/yellow) inputs. Just follow my setup guide and you will be fine (here is the section on input assignment): http://batpigworld.com/setup.html#step3

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5196 Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newb here and in a bit of a bind. I just recently got the 1610 thinking that all I needed for audio and video to my TV was a single HDMI cable (should have done more research). My set up is as follows:

PS3 (HDMI to 1610)
XBOX360 (component video to 1610)
Wii (RCA video to 1610)

From AVR-1610 - one HDMI cable to TV (Samsung B650).

I'm using TV speakers for audio.

The PS3 works fine with audio and video. I'm not exactly sure how I'm to get audio out to my TV speakers for the Wii and 360 without running an additional set of video and audio cables to the TV (which I want to avoid). I understand that I may be able to use the optical out from the 360 to the 1610 and have the HDMI carry the audio signal to my TV, but I don't believe that option exists for the Wii. Am I correct?

Any help is appreciated...thanks in advance!
post #453 of 5196 Old 08-20-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

yes, there is no "audio conversion" to HDMI. HDMI audio will pass through just fine, but non-HDMI (e.g. digital audio or 2-ch analog) will not be converted. All the video will get through just fine though.

Many TV's have an HDMI input with an associated analog audio input (for those people using DVI/HDMI connections, which don't carry audio). You may be able to get away with running an analog RCA cable (red/white) from the Denon to the TV, along with the HDMI. Then, plug the RCA audio from all of your devices into the Denon -- the analog audio should pass through to the "VCR/DVR OUT" recording outputs.

So the video will all pass over HDMI to the TV, and the audio will all go via stereo analog.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #454 of 5196 Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM

Hey guys new to forum, Thanks for all the great info

I am new to the home theater scene and just purchased a Denon AVR1610 ($350) and a set Inifinity TSS500 5.1 speakers ($150). I am a bit research oriented and have found the AVR1610 to be a great buy for the money. I thought about the 1910, but the only thing I really wanted was the video up converting. I don't really need any of the other features. 7.1 would be nice but not needed.

I am not a huge audiophile just want a good system for movies and music. Something that lets you feel the sound but still hear the dialogue. Anyways, has anyone tried this combo, your thoughts? If instead of spending the $100 to move to the AVR1910 should I change speakers?

$500-600 is all I really can spend. I use a PS3 for Bluray, ipod (and possibly a turn table) for music, and watch TV over the air. Do you think I have all I need?

Anybody found any better deals on the equipment?

Any opinions would be great. Thanks, especially to Batpig!
post #455 of 5196 Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yes, there is no "audio conversion" to HDMI. HDMI audio will pass through just fine, but non-HDMI (e.g. digital audio or 2-ch analog) will not be converted. All the video will get through just fine though.

Many TV's have an HDMI input with an associated analog audio input (for those people using DVI/HDMI connections, which don't carry audio). You may be able to get away with running an analog RCA cable (red/white) from the Denon to the TV, along with the HDMI. Then, plug the RCA audio from all of your devices into the Denon -- the analog audio should pass through to the "VCR/DVR OUT" recording outputs.

So the video will all pass over HDMI to the TV, and the audio will all go via stereo analog.

Thanks Batpig, that sounds like it would work! I'll try that out. As far as my being able "to use the optical out from the 360 to the 1610 and have the HDMI carry the audio signal to my TV", am I correct in this statement?

EDIT: I just re-read your first sentence... it doesn't sound like I am correct. I believe that I will be able to assign the RCA audio out to the Wii and 360 as you suggested above.
post #456 of 5196 Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:

OK, So video will go though HDMI, but no analog audio will go HDMI? So what happens when I select wii and it's video coming via HDMI will the RCA audio pass at the same time? BTW I just got email saying my unit shipped out!
post #457 of 5196 Old 08-20-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoug View Post

I am not a huge audiophile just want a good system for movies and music. Something that lets you feel the sound but still hear the dialogue. Anyways, has anyone tried this combo, your thoughts? If instead of spending the $100 to move to the AVR1910 should I change speakers?

$500-600 is all I really can spend. I use a PS3 for Bluray, ipod (and possibly a turn table) for music, and watch TV over the air. Do you think I have all I need?

speakers are more important than the receiver. The 1610's audio quality should be virtually identical to the 1910 -- if you don't need the extra features you are DEFINITELY better served sticking with the 1610 and spending extra on better speakers.

I don't know much about that speaker set, but it looks like it is a decent "sub/sat" setup, Infinity is a good quality brand. If you are interested in better quality as a long-term investment, and have a limited budget, you might be better served starting with a "2.1" setup (a nice pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub) and adding more speakers as you save up extra cash. Tiny satellite speakers are always going to be limited in potential, so if you can fit some slightly larger speakers up front you might be happier in the long run. Just depends on your priorities...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #458 of 5196 Old 08-20-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink124 View Post

Thanks Batpig, that sounds like it would work! I'll try that out. As far as my being able "to use the optical out from the 360 to the 1610 and have the HDMI carry the audio signal to my TV", am I correct in this statement?

EDIT: I just re-read your first sentence... it doesn't sound like I am correct. I believe that I will be able to assign the RCA audio out to the Wii and 360 as you suggested above.

no, there is NO audio conversion of any kind. that is why I suggested to hook all the audio up via analog RCA, and then pass it to your TV also via analog RCA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDdude24 View Post

OK, So video will go though HDMI, but no analog audio will go HDMI? So what happens when I select wii and it's video coming via HDMI will the RCA audio pass at the same time? BTW I just got email saying my unit shipped out!

wait, are trying to do the same thing (pass audio to your TV)? I'm a little confused by your question as I was discussing a specific situation with ink124 and I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

you don't need HDMI audio to play the Wii on your surround speakers. These AVR's are not not really designed to be "switchers" for passing all your components audio to the TV, the whole point of getting a receiver is to use REAL speakers!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #459 of 5196 Old 08-21-2009, 05:07 AM

I just ordered the 590 to upgrade from the HTIB that I have. (The HTIB although claiming 1000 watts is probably only pushing 15w fronts, 25 watts center, and 15-20 watts surround, It has a subwoofer but powered by the HTIB reciever)

Current Speakers:

Center: CELESTION F35C: 2X4" speakers (down to 80hz with bass reflex, 1x 3/4" titanium tweeter 20khz upper cutoff (65$ usd)

L&R: Sony SS-F6000 Floor-Standing 4-Way Speakers with 6.5" Woofer. 150w power handling. ($141.88)

Surrounds: Bose 151 outdoor 10/100 watts 4ohm.(free/NOT STOLEN)

Compliments: Pn58b550 tv, Ps3 via HDMI, Cable box via component, HTPC 192kbs mp3s-FLAC via 1/8" to RCA.

As of right now I do not have a powered sub, I am considering getting a BIC Audio PL200 in a month. After that, I think Ill get a pair of Sony SSF-7000s for 206$ and use those as my fronts, with the ssf-6000s as my surrounds.

My hopes with this reciever is that I will be able to achieve desirable volume from movies from the PS3 and also have access to the new audio encodings. Also, my HTPC to HTIB is quiet as well (I often have to dial the volume to 42 out of 50 on the HTIB reciever). Basically Im wondering what kind of decibel levels Ill be able to achieve with this setup, and if upgrading down the road with the ssf-7000s will be much of an enhancement? I welcome any input and advice. For music I would only be using a 2.0-2.1 setup. (Upon review of the purchases I will be breaking the 1,000 dollar mark... I hope the quality supersedes that of other $1,000 systems)
post #460 of 5196 Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

those Sony's are easy to drive, 90dB rated sensitivity and 8-ohms. The Denon 1610 (or any receiver) should be able to push them easily to very loud volumes.

The question is, are you satisfied with the SS-F6000's? The 7000's are basically the same thing, just a little bigger with extra bass, so if you don't think the 6000's are all that I don't think you are going to be blown away by the 7000's. If you are totally satisfied with the 6000's and just want a little "extra", then the 7000's will treat you well and you will have a unified soundfield between front and surrounds. In that case, I would get a matching Sony center as well because tonally matching the front 3 speakers is pretty important.

The speakers are the most important link in the chain in actually creating the sound you hear, so if you are disappointed with the speakers then a new receiver can help, but only so much. Adding a subwoofer will be a HUGE addition though, and the BIC subs are a great choice for the money.

What I would do in your situation is get the new receiver and add the subwoofer, run Audyssey, and see how it sounds with the current speaker setup. Don't make any speaker decisions until you have had time to evaluate the new receiver + sub. Listen to a lot of two channel music and decide if you like how the 6000's sound with the new receiver. If are happy with the 6000's, add the larger 7000's and a matching Sony center and you will have a complete matching setup. If you aren't totally happy with the 6000's, then skip the 7000's and start upgrading to better speakers up front.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #461 of 5196 Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 AM

I appreciate all the great info here, and this may be a dumb question since no one else looks to be asking it, but when I run the Audyssey auto-setup, it's not even detecting that the front or rear right-channels exist, nor does it detect the sub. The speakers are wired correctly, so does this sound like the receiver is defective, or is there simply something I'm doing wrong? I'm running the 590 with a Boston Acoustics surround set.

I really appreciate any help on this.
post #462 of 5196 Old 08-22-2009, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you've connected your speakers correctly to their respective terminals there is no reason Audyssey should not work. Make sure you have plugged it in securely.

Are your speakers playing without running Audyssey? If they are then it could be a defective mic.

Try Manual setup and test your speakers.
post #463 of 5196 Old 08-22-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, go to manual setup and first go to "speaker config" and make sure all speakers are set to on. Then go to "channel level" and run the manual test tones. If everything is plugged in correctly and you don't get tones from all the speakers it's probably a defective unit.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #464 of 5196 Old 08-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Thanks, guys. Turns out it really was as simple as a faulty receiver. The new one seems to be working fine, but I've encountered another problem. I have the receiver running HDMI to my TV, and my DVD Player, 360 and PS3 running to the receiver. The DVD player works beautifully and plays through all channels, but the 360 and PS3 are coming ONLY through the front left channel. Is there something I need to do within those systems to get them to use all 5.1 channels, or have I inadvertently messed up a setting on the receiver?

Thanks again.
post #465 of 5196 Old 08-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

never heard of that one! but sounds like standard HDMI goofiness. try swapping HDMI cables, swapping HDMI ports (both on the AVR, e.g. assigning "HDMI-3" to DVD instead of "HDMI-2" and swapping the cable on the AVR.... and the TV, e.g. switching to a different HDMI input on the TV) and see if the behavior persists.

Thanks for the tip. It appeared to be the HDMI-1 input on my TV. Connecting to HDMI-2 and it works fine. Weird that the problem only happened with my Panasonic Bluray player.
post #466 of 5196 Old 08-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2josh View Post

Thanks, guys. Turns out it really was as simple as a faulty receiver. The new one seems to be working fine, but I've encountered another problem. I have the receiver running HDMI to my TV, and my DVD Player, 360 and PS3 running to the receiver. The DVD player works beautifully and plays through all channels, but the 360 and PS3 are coming ONLY through the front left channel. Is there something I need to do within those systems to get them to use all 5.1 channels, or have I inadvertently messed up a setting on the receiver?

Thanks again.

Is the sound setting on the PS3 and 360 set to HDMI? There's nothing else I'm aware of unless its faulty cables. Swap the DVD cable to the PS3 and test.
post #467 of 5196 Old 08-22-2009, 03:58 PM

You have to select your PS3 to output audio over HDMI on your settings. Then there is a list of clickable outputs, I only do DTS and Dolby. For blurays with higher formats you can use triangle to select bitstreaming during playback. You can also change your video output settings this way too.
post #468 of 5196 Old 08-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

i got my receiver last monday and i have it all set up and it's a huge upgrade from my 10 year old sony receiver that i had.

i've read so much here on avs about different receivers before i got the 1610 and i have a question. i thought i read somewhere that when you turn on different settings that the green light around the power button would change from colors to indicate you have different sound settings. i thing this had to do with the dyn eq/volume.

since i read so much stuff on different receivers i really can't remember if it was the denon i was reading about or another brand of receiver.

"I believe, that whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you....Stranger" - Joker
post #469 of 5196 Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 AM

Green usually indicates all the Audyssey settings are on. It turns Red when you disable Dynamic Volume. Those are the only two colors I'm aware of.
Audyssey is enclosed in a "square bracket" if no modifications are made to the settings. No bracket if modifications are made.
post #470 of 5196 Old 08-23-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

it's not the light "ring" around the power button that changes -- that one only changes to indicate on/standby.

there is another light on the right side of the display, it's just a small LED but it glows red when Dynamic EQ is engaged and green when Dynamic Volume is engaged. If there is no light that means you aren't using the "dynamic" Audyssey features. see pg 42 of the manual for more info.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #471 of 5196 Old 08-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

thanks batpig and insync44, like i said i read a lot of stuff before i got the 1610 and i couldn't remember which light would change and if it was even the 1610 that did it.

i've been using audyssey+dyn eq and like the combo

"I believe, that whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you....Stranger" - Joker
post #472 of 5196 Old 08-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

ok i had an odd thing just happen: i was listening to a CD on the PS3 and i decided i didn't need the TV on so i turned it off. a short time after i turned the tv off the sound from the receiver kept go off and on like the receiver was changing sound fields. when i turned the TV back on and while it was coming on it done it 2 more times. everything is ran through HDMI so is this causing the receiver to think it doesn't need the sound anymore?

i played the same song over again with the TV on and it didn't do it. i tested it again with the TV off and it again but the sound did come back on.

post #473 of 5196 Old 08-23-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That is not uncommon with hdmi connected devices. The hdmi sync is broken and goofiness ensues.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #474 of 5196 Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is not uncommon with hdmi connected devices. The hdmi sync is broken and goofiness ensues.

that's what i figured since after it happen the sound came back on but wanted to make sure.

post #475 of 5196 Old 08-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdane View Post

Thanks for the tip. It appeared to be the HDMI-1 input on my TV. Connecting to HDMI-2 and it works fine. Weird that the problem only happened with my Panasonic Bluray player.

Hmm ok that didn't completely fix it. It is definately better, but still have problems.

Occasionally the signal will just drop out for about 5 seconds until the AVR reacquires it. Also very rarely see a flash of digital noise on the screen for maybe 1 frame. I've tried new HDMI cables and everything. I'm thinking I might just connect my BluRay Player directly to my TV and run Optical to the receiver. At least I know I won't have any issues that way. Sucks to lose the HD Audio formats, but I'm only running 5.1 so I really shouldn't notice a damn difference anyway.

I also updated the firmware on my Panasonic DMP-BD35K, that was one of the first things I checked. Didn't make any difference.

Does the AVR-590 have any firmware that can be upgraded? Are there any updates for it?
post #476 of 5196 Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 AM

Liked: 13
I understand the differences between the 1610 and 590 models. My question is what does A/B speakers mean? Can someone explain the benefits of having A and B speakers as opposed to just "A" speakers? How important is it? Thanks.
post #477 of 5196 Old 08-24-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdane View Post

Does the AVR-590 have any firmware that can be upgraded? Are there any updates for it?

no, the lower-end Denons are not designed to be firmware updated.

your problem is strange; while "handshake" problems with cable boxes or HDMI/DVI connections are quite common, problems with BDP's are quite rare and usually indicate a faulty component. Can you exchange the AVR for another unit? Maybe call Denon tech support up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

I understand the differences between the 1610 and 590 models. My question is what does A/B speakers mean? Can someone explain the benefits of having A and B speakers as opposed to just "A" speakers? How important is it? Thanks.

A/B speaker switching is a relic from the old stereo receiver days where you maybe had two sets of speakers in different rooms, or maybe a different pair of speakers for music vs movies. The point is that it allows you to have two alternate pairs of front speakers that you can easily switch between.

For speakers in other rooms (e.g. putting speakers on the patio) the functionality has been replaced with multizone systems. These days, A/B speaker switching is probably only useful for having a dedicated 2-ch music setup that is different than your 5.1 movie setup. I personally find it useful sometimes when I'm comparing a pair of speakers at home (so I can literally do A/B tests) but I think most people never really use it.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #478 of 5196 Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Is the tripod absolutely necessary? how about a chair and some packing tape for holding the mic while running audesy? On this model the OSD is shown over HDMI right? Thats about it for now BatPig. I thought Id put it here instead of in pm as maybe someone else will benefit from it.
post #479 of 5196 Old 08-24-2009, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The tripod is not NECESSARY of course, but it is very important if you want to get the best results. If you follow along in the Audyssey thread there are many, many anecdotal reports of people experiencing much improved results when getting a proper support for the microphone.

You really want the mic to be:

1. as stable as possible; there are many reports of people getting screwed up bass because they sat the mic on something that either absorbed or amplified high frequencies (e.g. a taut leather couch or a coffee table)... and

2. as far away from reflective surfaces as possible; Audyssey does a lot of EQ filtering and if the mic is near a big, flat surface (e.g. on the coffee table, on a chair, on the back of your couch) you are getting a ton of high freq. reflections that will confuse the filter calculations.. this could lead to muddy or undefined sound.

We all have compromises of course, do the best you can. You can get a cheapo photo tripod for $15 at Walmart or Target or even the local pharmacy. If you don't use a tripod, do the best you can to keep the mic away from flat, reflective surfaces -- sitting it on your coffee table or on a seatback is one of the worst ways to do it because of that.

Some people have reported success using a lamp and screwing off the lampshade! Even that would be better than nothing, as it provides a stable base and doesn't have flat surfaces to reflect high freq sound.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #480 of 5196 Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:

no, there is NO audio conversion of any kind. that is why I suggested to hook all the audio up via analog RCA, and then pass it to your TV also via analog RCA. [snip]

I tried running audio directly to my TV to no avail. My TV, for whatever reason, won't take the audio. I have the video hooked up to the HDMI/DVI input of my TV and tried going directly from my Wii using analog RCA. Got nothing. I believe my only option is to use external speakers...which I was planning on in the future anyway. Was thinking of a soundbar option such as the Polk Surround 50.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page