Forum Jump: 

post #4921 of 5196 Old 12-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me check right quick.

edit: it does not.

edit again: just unconnected and re-connected my HDMI cable from cable box to receiver. Still popping.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 5196 Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Denon 591 remote programing for TC-P54G10 (panasonic).
I would like just to use the denon remote, i get no errors when inputing the panny code. But it does nothing for me. All i want to do is turn off/on the TV from this denon remote. anyone els get it to work with this plasma?

thanks
post #4923 of 5196 Old 12-05-2011, 04:16 AM

Am I correct in assuming that the HDMI Monitor Out on the AVR-590 sends video-only to my TV and not audio?
post #4924 of 5196 Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
^^
No. All Denon models have an "HDMI Audio Out" setting (HDMI sources only) which defaults to "AMP" but can be changed to "TV" although cannot do both simultaneously. Also note that when using the HDMI Control feature, HDMI audio/video will pass through the AVR to the TV while the AVR is in Standby.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4925 of 5196 Old 12-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
No. All Denon models have an "HDMI Audio Out" setting (HDMI sources only) which defaults to "AMP" but can be changed to "TV" although cannot do both simultaneously. Also note that when using the HDMI Control feature, HDMI audio/video will pass through the AVR to the TV while the AVR is in Standby.

Thanks for the clarification.
post #4926 of 5196 Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 PM

Howdy all - I've searched this thread and the internet as best as I can and haven't found a solution so this is my last resort.

My set-up is simple. I've got an Xbox 360 connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR 590 and then from the Denon to a Panasonic TC-P42S30 via HDMI. The problem I'm having is that I'm occasionally losing sound on the Xbox. When I start navigating menus the initial typical sound isn't always audible, but will then be heard as I continue to navigate (almost like there is a lag before the receiver realizes that it should be playing a sound).

The other, more pressing issue, is that when streaming Netflix the sound will drop when I start watching something. Usually, the first show I load will be fine, but the second episode will load and there will be no sound. I have to back out to the Netflix menu and restart it, and occasionally sound will be restored.

No other sound issues have happened (last.fm, games, dvds all work fine)

I connected the Xbox straight to the TV via HDMI and had no issues with the sound through the TV speakers. I also tried taking the audio from the digital audio out of the TV back to the receiver, and while I didn't experience the audio issues, I don't get true surround sound (the back surround speakers don't differentiate between left and right) -so that is a last resort.

I've played with different settings and options for hours and haven't figured out a solution - anyone have any ideas?

Many, many interwebz points to anyone that can help.
post #4927 of 5196 Old 12-10-2011, 04:33 AM
585-645-1006

^^
A few things to try:

1. Replace the HDMI cables
2. Connect optical from xBox to 590 for audio
3. Reset the microprocessor (p. 57) - returns all settings to factory default and will require running AUTO SETUP again
4. As a last resort, connect HDMI to the TV with optical from TV to the 590. The vast majority of Netflix is still stereo 2.0 audio so use DD PLII to simulate 5.1.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #4928 of 5196 Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

1. I've tried three different HDMI cables with no change
2. My Xbox doesn't have a separate optical audio out, just the HDMI and adapter for component (hunting now for an adapter that would let me do this)
3. I'll give this a go later today
4. This is a last resort, but I'll lose true 5.1 with games and dvd, correct?

Edit to add:
Will this adapter work for the xbox? Microsoft Xbox 360 HDMI + Audio Dongle Adapter & Cable
post #4929 of 5196 Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wee_ag View Post

Thanks for the suggestions!

1. I've tried three different HDMI cables with no change
2. My Xbox doesn't have a separate optical audio out, just the HDMI and adapter for component (hunting now for an adapter that would let me do this)
3. I'll give this a go later today
4. This is a last resort, but I'll lose true 5.1 with games and dvd, correct?

Edit to add:
Will this adapter work for the xbox? Microsoft Xbox 360 HDMI + Audio Dongle Adapter & Cable

That adapter works great. I got one for my son-in-law so he could connect his Xbox to an older Sammy plasma i sold him that only had dvi input and used a hdmi to dvi cable In theory it should output full dd5.1 out the optical but I have not tested that. Some tvs will get set to PCM when you connect to hdmi and thus why you might have been only getting 2.0. Anyhow if you have amazon prime the price is cheep for this adapter and worth having around to connect your Xbox to different things and the hdmi cable is a bonus. I think there are also some audio out settings on the Xbox and possibly on the tv you may need to tweak as well.
post #4930 of 5196 Old 01-02-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i have denon 1609 and energy take classic 5.1 system

i get audio drops and the sub cuts off from time to time when i switch channels only, i think

i have tried changing cables, checking if everything is set to small and sub is on, on the receiver.

the volume level on the back of the sub is at around 40% of total volume

maybe if i lower or increase that might help?
post #4931 of 5196 Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If you are experiencing the issue only with your cable/sat box, then this is a common HDMI handshake issue and your best option is to connect the HDMI cable from the box directly to your TV with an optical cable from the box to the AVR.

post #4932 of 5196 Old 01-02-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
yeah its only on direct tv, doesnt happen with blu ray player etc. i always had it connected the way you recommend so i guess ill just have to live with this until i upgrade.
post #4933 of 5196 Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM

Denon 591. HDMI HTPC and HDMI PS3.
Everything works great, but if things sit for a while then HDMI goes to sleep. I get picture on ps3/htpc, but not audio until I turn off/on the Denon. I assume this is just hdmi sleep issue, but wanted to verify (after much searching) there is nothing I can do about it right?
apart from telling win7 and ps3 never to turn off display.. or sleep..
post #4934 of 5196 Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 920
yes, issues like this have been reported with HTPC output over HDMI... when the PC goes to sleep, sometimes the HDMI handshake isn't reset once the PC wakes up. Unfortunately, telling them to not go to sleep might be the only solution.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4935 of 5196 Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yes, issues like this have been reported with HTPC output over HDMI... when the PC goes to sleep, sometimes the HDMI handshake isn't reset once the PC wakes up. Unfortunately, telling them to not go to sleep might be the only solution.

This utility works like a charm to fix the problem of no sound or no display due to PC standby. You can tie it to the wake event using a tool like EventGhost or map it to a remote key.

http://thydzik.com/hdmion-a-solution...nal-on-hd-tvs/
post #4936 of 5196 Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 920
great info, thanks!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4937 of 5196 Old 01-09-2012, 11:52 AM
kha

i was wondering if any 590 owners can chime in

this morning the unit will not power on (no standby light either) and ive checked the power connection and it and the outlet are fine

can someone tell me how to check it (hopefully) it just blew a fuse i can self replace?

ive only had this unit for a few months...damn you ebay never again haha
post #4938 of 5196 Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post

this morning the unit will not power on (no standby light either) and ive checked the power connection and it and the outlet are fine

can someone tell me how to check it (hopefully) it just blew a fuse i can self replace?

Check the master power switch (labeled on/off) next to the standby switch (labeled on/standby).
post #4939 of 5196 Old 01-09-2012, 01:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post

If the issue isn't related to the fact there are (2) power buttons, little one turns the unit ON/OFF, big one is ON/STANDBY, then pop the top and check for a blown fuse.

post #4940 of 5196 Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
kha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Check the master power switch (labeled on/off) next to the standby switch (labeled on/standby).

this solved the issue, i wonder how it got changed in the first place!

thanks so much though i didnt even know there were 2 power buttons
post #4941 of 5196 Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM

Hey guys.. I'm a first time poster, so I apologize if someone else dealt with this issue, but my searches aren't turning up much.

It seems that the digital component (both HDMI and optical audio) on my AVR 590 have ceased to function.

Ever since setting up the receiver with my Samsung 50" plasma, and comcast/fios service, the video signal would intermittently black out, while the audio continued to play. This didn't happen on my PS3.

Now, it's completely gone. No audio, no video. The Cablebox usually says "dvi" when it detects the TV/HDMI connection, but it no longer says that. I can't even get optical audio to play.

I am just a month past the 2 year warranty... Do any of you have any experience on whether Denon would still help me out and repair it without charging me? I can't afford anything expensive, as I'm still paying off this receiver and TV on a bestbuy credit card (no lectures on financial responsibility, please).

Or does anyone know of anything else we can do? The microprocessor reset doesn't do a thing, and denon's help hasn't provided any assistance other than suggest I take it to a service center.
post #4942 of 5196 Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Your post is unclear. Does the PS3 work now and the Fios box doesn't or are you saying that no input works at all? If the latter, Denon has been known to extend the warranty a couple of months so give them a call again and see if they will do so in your case.

post #4943 of 5196 Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Your post is unclear. Does the PS3 work now and the Fios box doesn't or are you saying that no input works at all? If the latter, Denon has been known to extend the warranty a couple of months so give them a call again and see if they will do so in your case.

sorry. None of the digital Ports work at all, no matter what's hooked in.
post #4944 of 5196 Old 01-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Hi. There are a ton of pages here, and I've glanced at a few but haven't seen my problem so I apologize in advance if it has been asked.

I have an AVR-590 that I purchased a few years ago. It was working fine until last night when I was trying to make an old Mac Mini into a Media Server. I successfully mapped Optical Audio 1 to HDMI 2 and had everything working.

Then suddenly, no audio. I thought there was a problem w/ my Mini, so changed to HDMI-1 (DirecTV). Nothing. I then went to HDMI-3 (my Blu-ray player), and again, nothing. I could get absolutely no audio from any source.

So, assuming I messed something up, I decided to reset to Factory Settings (e.g., p57). I did that, but not only did it not solve the problem, but some of my menu items went away. Specifically, the main menu now has:
  1. Parameter
  2. Information
  3. .
  4. Manual Setup
  5. Input Setup
Item #3 is missing. According to the owner's manual, it should say 'Auto Setup', but there is no option 3. When I go into sub-menus, they are also missing items (one of them has only 2., 5., 6.).

I unplugged it & left it overnight (as some others here have done), but still no sound & still a messed up menu.

So, short of taking it to a service center (closest is Baltimore, MD as Crutchfield only services units they sell, and I bought it at Best Buy), any suggestions?

Thanks.
post #4945 of 5196 Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.everest View Post

So, short of taking it to a service center (closest is Baltimore, MD as Crutchfield only services units they sell, and I bought it at Best Buy), any suggestions?

Hi dan.everest, you could try blowing compressed air into headphone jack or plug/unplug a set of headphones a few times.
post #4946 of 5196 Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi dan.everest, you could try blowing compressed air into headphone jack or plug/unplug a set of headphones a few times.

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that suggestion earlier & plan to give that a try this weekend. I'm still at a loss on the missing menu items, but hopefully a call to customer support tonight will shed some light on it.

I will update if/when I get any answers.
post #4947 of 5196 Old 01-13-2012, 06:10 AM
585-645-1006

^^
"AUTO SETUP" is likely missing from the menu because the unit thinks a headphone is plugged into the headphone jack ... resolve that (compressed air suggestion above) and the item will appear.

post #4948 of 5196 Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM

Unbelievable. I get home tonight & grab a can of compressed air (my wife had some for cleaning out the Roomba). I blow some in to the headphone jack, turn it on, and voila! Item #3 from the menu comes back ('Auto Setup').

I then hook it back up to everything, and now it all works fine.

Thanks a bunch guys as you just saved me $500. Maybe I'll drop the $25 for a year subscription for this forum even though I'll probably never use it...at least until I have another problem...
post #4949 of 5196 Old 01-14-2012, 05:25 AM

Hey guys,

Long time lurker here, learned alot about the 1610 already from all of you, but i've come across something that I just can't seem to get working.

I've got my PS3 set up to the HDMI input (HDP) via an HDMI cable.
And I've got an COAX antenna cable plugged into the FM Antenna of the system.

Now I am struggling to do the following:
- Play video from PS3 video
- Listen to FM radio while doing this

V.sel does not let me select the source, nor does Source Select...
My inputs are assigned and no 'source delete' has been added.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for all clarifications regarding this issue!

BR,
Dvxdiv
post #4950 of 5196 Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Video Select will not work with an HDMI source, so also connect the component video cable from the PS3 to the AVR and while listening to the TUNER, use Video Select to select the component video input from the PS3.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page