*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5191 of 5202 Old 04-22-2014, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

New the the Forum/HT community!

I am the proud new owner of an AVR 590 and am loving it so far.

Just unboxed it last night and roughly setup the existing mediocre speakers I have, but what a difference a good receiver makes.

We just purchased a house of our own so its time to setup the mini man cave (upstairs) for now until I finish the basement.

I had a cheap samsung HTIB 5.1 for a while just to get off the ground and it was OK for a cheap starter.

I have some decent Sony 3 way towers hooked up in the front with the kit samsung center and surrounds which are capable

of maybe 15 watts before sounding like complete S%#*.  I can hardly turn the Denon up to -6db before the center bottoms out.

Just added a Polk PSW10 the other day and coming from a passive sub I am satisfied with its performance for now, but I can

see myself needing an upgrade soon with this receiver.  I have already ordered some new 12GA wire and banana jacks to rewire everything properly.

My next step (I think?) should be to get a set of matched front/center speakers to make everything come alive.  I will then probably move the Sony towers to the rear for the mean time.  Any good suggestions for a nice set of fronts to match with this setup?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5202 Old 04-22-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Is it too late to return the Polk? Entry level Polk subs have a pretty poor performance reputation and you can do a LOT better for not much more money. Especially for a dedicated "man cave" you want powerful subwoofers, they are really the most important ingredient for a great HT experience.

That said, yes, getting a matching front soundstage is very important for HT. It's hard to make suggestions without some details like approximate budget, size of the room, etc. With an AVR 590 (btw -- where did you "unbox" it, this receiver is now about 5 years old! did you buy a refurb?) which doesn't have a ton of power, you'd probably want to get reasonable sensitive speakers so they can be driven to good levels without distorting or straining the receiver. Also if you are willing to shop used for better value, knowing your local craigslist metro area can be helpful.

Frankly for now I would disconnect the crap speakers and just run 2ch with the Sony towers until you get better gear. The HTIB speakers are probably garbage and you should just sell them with the whole HTIB set and direct the money towards your REAL setup smile.gif

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5193 of 5202 Old 04-22-2014, 02:16 PM

When I say unboxed I mean from the seller haha.  I know it is an older receiver but for the money I paid it is great bang for the buck.  The Polk was a CL score for $60 so Im not mad at that money spent, I know I can do much better but for starters it should do.  The budget is not huge for right now (willing to spend several hundred on USED front speakers) and the room is roughly 18x14 the TV is a 50" LED LG.  Usually the setup is only running PS4 or bluray hardly watch any TV in this room.  From what I have been seeing out there, $300-400 should net me pretty decent front monitors.

post #5194 of 5202 Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Just to be clear, is 18x14 the current room or the future basement setup? That's probably the more important part to optimize for if that will be the long term home.

Also you failed to mention your local craigslist metro area. That will help if you want someone else to scope out used deals.

For $60 the PSW10 will do fine as a temp fill-in. It would probably be the first in line for an upgrade when you do set up the basement. You could probably repurpose it in another setup (e.g. the living room) where deep, thundering bass isn't as important as the REAL setup.
Turismo31 likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #5195 of 5202 Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM

That is the current size, the final setup will be more than likely double that, conservatively.  I am in the Baltimore area.  Another plus is, like you said, I can re-purpose the setup for another area which will be my garage.  I am going to do audio in there as well when I am working and use an A/B channel for outdoor speakers on the patio.

post #5196 of 5202 Old 06-14-2014, 07:01 AM

Liked: 11
Still loving my AVR-590! Couldn't really live without Audyssey so I even bought a 2nd one for my PC setup.

Have my 2nd AVR-590 powering my Definitive ProMonitor 800 speakers and Outlaw M8 sub!
post #5197 of 5202 Old 07-25-2014, 09:06 PM

Passthrough Issues

Greetings - sorry if this has been covered in a previous post...

I have the 590 connected to my BD and HTPC components which go through the 590, but I'm having issues with my HTPC being recognized by my Samsung PN58C550 when the 590 is off. When I turn the television on, I am sometimes given a NO SIGNAL. Yet I have set up the HDMI Passthrough to HDMI3 (the location of my HTPC). The signal does come when I turn the 590 on and select the SAT/CBL button, but sometimes the video will convert to 720 instead of staying at 1080. I have to minimize my Windows Media Center and then maximize it for the video issue to clear up.

I know this must be an error on my part, as there's a setting somewhere I've missed. I also took the advice of many sites to turn off the CEC on the television. If I do that, then I get no audio when I turn the 590 on. Sometimes if I turn the 590 on to get the HTPC to recognize and then shut off the 590, my screen and audio return and I can now use the HTPC.

I've really mucked this portion up pretty good!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Matt
post #5198 of 5202 Old 07-26-2014, 01:39 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
^^
Try placing an HDMI splitter/switch between the AVR and the TV and run it for a few minutes. Then place the splitter/switch between the HTPC and the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5199 of 5202 Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 AM

UPDATE: I've been able to get it working temporarily by pressing the STANDBY button on the receiver off and then on again. But I can't see this working as a long term solution.

Samsung pn58c550; Denon AVR-590; Sony BDP-s270; WMC7 HTPC w/Hauppauge 1850 Dual Tuner; RCA Performance Series OTA; HP MediaSmart EX490; Harmony 880 Remote, Lenovo N5901 Mini Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo
post #5200 of 5202 Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM

Liked: 0
Hi - we finally moved and unpacked our Denon receiver. I'm getting sound if I hook up a source via HDMI, but not if I connect by analog cables. I made sure to go into settings and make sure HDMI isn't one of input settings for the input modes I'm selecting. Help! Thanks.
post #5201 of 5202 Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
What's kind of source is it and what input is it connected to?

Afro GT
post #5202 of 5202 Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 PM

My receiver suddenly lost all video output yesterday. I can't get anything out of hdmi or component. I tried resetting but that didn't do anything but erase my audyssey settings. Anyone have any idea or is time to get in the market for a new receiver?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Avr590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page