*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 175 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #5221 of 5244 Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozwell View Post
I have an Alienware PC which has two digital audio outputs - (1x) SPDIF Digital Output (TOSLINK) and (1x) SPDIF Digital Output (Coax).

Is it possible for me to run an optical output from the PC to the Amp? I notice there is only 2 x Optical ports on the Amp - OPT-1 (TV) and OPT-2 (DVR).

I have attempted to run the cable into both ports and turned the Amp to those Sources without any luck. I have no idea if this is because a) it is not possible or b) I need to ammed settings on the Audio settings on the PC or Amp in some way.
Hi Brozwell, make sure there's no protective caps at the end of optical cable. Also try setting Input Mode to Digital.

If still not working try using digital Coax instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 5244 Old 08-29-2015, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Red face avr 1610 erratic

Hi guys.
I also have the denon avr 1610.
I have it setup in 5.1 speakers.
Recently my center channel does not work but all my other speakers are just fine.
If i go to the menu and to the channel level test, it starts to work as it should. weird.

I tried to reset the microprocessor but it did not solve my problem either.

Now i'm thinking if there is an firmware upgrade for this AVR, and it looks like they are.
But i go to the denon website and on the firmware section there is not an upgrade shown there, not even this model. :S

What do you think of this? where can i get the firmware upgrade?

Many thanks in advance
post #5223 of 5244 Old 08-30-2015, 01:39 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9357 Post(s)
Liked: 4317
Are you using a non-stereo surround mode (eg. DD/DTS/PLII)? The non-networking models (eg. 1610) generally don't get firmware updates. If one were available, you would have to contact an authorized Denon repair facility to determine if they had it and are able to install it.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #5224 of 5244 Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Are you using a non-stereo surround mode (eg. DD/DTS/PLII)? The non-networking models (eg. 1610) generally don't get firmware updates. If one were available, you would have to contact an authorized Denon repair facility to determine if they had it and are able to install it.
I'm using direct mode wich gives me the DD or DTS.
post #5225 of 5244 Old 08-31-2015, 05:05 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellar View Post
I'm using direct mode wich gives me the DD or DTS.
DIRECT mode is generally never recommended as it disables both Audyssey and bass management. Suggest while playing a 2CH stereo track you select DD PLII - Cinema or while playing a DD/DTS track you select DD/DTS.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #5226 of 5244 Old 09-04-2015, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I have a Beyonwiz DP-P2 PVR connected to my AVR-590 via HDMI. The TV is then connected to the output of the AVR-590 via HDMI.

The Audio settings on the PVR are:-
Code:
DP-P2 SETUP > Config > A/V Output

Audio format: Passthrough
    Analog Output: Enable
    AAC Output: Decode
    Dolby D Output: Passthrough
    AC3 Audio Delay: Disable
The input mode and decode mode are both set to Auto on the AVR-590. However Information > Status or Information > Audio Input Signal always shows only 2 channels of audio when I know some of the movies playing are Dolby 5.1 and confirmed via the MediaInfo utility and the info for the movie on the PVR.

Is there something else I might be doing wrong on either the AVR-590 or PVR?

TIA

Greg
post #5227 of 5244 Old 09-05-2015, 02:05 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghines View Post
Hi all,

I have a Beyonwiz DP-P2 PVR connected to my AVR-590 via HDMI. The TV is then connected to the output of the AVR-590 via HDMI.

The Audio settings on the PVR are:-
Code:
DP-P2 SETUP > Config > A/V Output

Audio format: Passthrough
    Analog Output: Enable
    AAC Output: Decode
    Dolby D Output: Passthrough
    AC3 Audio Delay: Disable
The input mode and decode mode are both set to Auto on the AVR-590. However Information > Status or Information > Audio Input Signal always shows only 2 channels of audio when I know some of the movies playing are Dolby 5.1 and confirmed via the MediaInfo utility and the info for the movie on the PVR.

Is there something else I might be doing wrong on either the AVR-590 or PVR?

TIA

Greg
Just because a movie is advertised as being broadcast in DD 5.1, does not necessarily mean the TV station is actually passing a DD 5.1 signal. Bottom line, if the 590 is only showing a 2CH signal being received, then that is what the PVR is passing. More likely a setting on the PVR if not getting DD 5.1 from any channel.

------------

post #5228 of 5244 Old 09-06-2015, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
More likely a setting on the PVR if not getting DD 5.1 from any channel.
Yes it was the PVR settings and also my misunderstanding. The source was 5.1 AAC (which the PVR decoded to 2 channel PCM) and not 5.1 AC-3 as previously stated.

Another question if I may:-

I'm confused about the operation of the Surround Sound buttons STD and STIM. Can you only select one of them? Does one cancel the other out? As you can tell fairly noob questions so if you could point me to some explanation it would be helpful.

TIA

Greg
post #5229 of 5244 Old 09-07-2015, 02:40 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghines View Post
Yes it was the PVR settings and also my misunderstanding. The source was 5.1 AAC (which the PVR decoded to 2 channel PCM) and not 5.1 AC-3 as previously stated.

Another question if I may:-

I'm confused about the operation of the Surround Sound buttons STD and STIM. Can you only select one of them? Does one cancel the other out? As you can tell fairly noob questions so if you could point me to some explanation it would be helpful.

TIA

Greg
The STD button (p. 37 Owner's manual) would be the primary button to use to select a surround mode, while the SIMU (p. 38 Owner's manual) would be selected if you want to use the 5CH/7CH Stereo surround mode (good for parties where you want to the same stereo audio from each pair of speakers to better fill the room with music). Pressing another button and selecting another surround mode will cancel the previously selected surround mode.

------------

post #5230 of 5244 Old 10-04-2015, 03:48 AM

Hi,

I recently bought a second-hand 1610 and i'm having some problems setting it up. I have two input devices (Settop box, Raspberry pi) both over HDMI. There is one HDMI output; the TV screen.

My speakers (Audio Engine A2) also have a receiver built-in. Thus they take the normal speaker cable input (the red/white connectors). I know this setup beats the purpose of the 1610 but I mainly want to use it to listen to music without having the TV turned on. I want to avoid buying new speakers for now.

Problem is i'm not getting any audio out of the speakers. I have connected them to all output connectors. I have set the HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT to "AMP" and disabled HDMI CONTROL. I do get audio (but can't control the volume?) when using a analog audio-only input for testing.

Does anyone know the golden advice?
post #5231 of 5244 Old 10-05-2015, 02:36 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretwolk View Post
Hi,

I recently bought a second-hand 1610 and i'm having some problems setting it up. I have two input devices (Settop box, Raspberry pi) both over HDMI. There is one HDMI output; the TV screen.

My speakers (Audio Engine A2) also have a receiver built-in. Thus they take the normal speaker cable input (the red/white connectors). I know this setup beats the purpose of the 1610 but I mainly want to use it to listen to music without having the TV turned on. I want to avoid buying new speakers for now.

Problem is i'm not getting any audio out of the speakers. I have connected them to all output connectors. I have set the HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT to "AMP" and disabled HDMI CONTROL. I do get audio (but can't control the volume?) when using a analog audio-only input for testing.

Does anyone know the golden advice?
You can't use "powered" speakers with the 1610 as it has no FL/FR or Zone 2 "pre-outs" in order to connect the red/white cables. You'll either need to use a set of "passive" speakers that connect with speaker wire, or find another AVR that has main zone pre-outs.

------------

post #5232 of 5244 Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 PM

Is there a way to watch tv while listening to music through th avr 1610 if I am running the tv and cable through the hdmi inputs? If I switch the source to do so the tv shows the on screen display for that input selection and not what is coming through the cable box.

Thanks
post #5233 of 5244 Old 03-20-2016, 03:30 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill1975 View Post
Is there a way to watch tv while listening to music through th avr 1610 if I am running the tv and cable through the hdmi inputs? If I switch the source to do so the tv shows the on screen display for that input selection and not what is coming through the cable box.

Thanks
Depends. Unlike the more current networking models which can use the Video Select feature while listening to a networking source to select an HDMI video source, the 1610 "Video Select" only works with component video inputs. However, you do have a few other options available to you:

(1) Connect the Cable box (HDMI) to the TV with Cable box (optical) to the AVR. You can then watch cable TV with the audio source of your choice selected on the AVR.
(2) If the audio source is other than HDMI, you can connect it to the same input name used for the cable box (eg. CBL/SAT) and change the INPUT MODE for that source to either "Digital" or "Analog" as appropriate.
(3) In addition to the Cable box (HDMI), also connect a Cable box (component video) and then with the audio source selected, use the Video Select feature to select the component video input.

------------

post #5234 of 5244 Old 04-13-2016, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Almost seven years now that my 1610 has been flawlessly been providing audio for my home theater setup. It looks like time to start the changeover to 4K and HDR so I am looking for a new receiver. Seeing that Dolby Atmos is also coming I think I'll need a 5.1.2 receiver. The Denon AVR - S710W should do the job and I can get it for less than I paid for the 1610. Not sure if I need to move up to the AVR - X1200W or not. I'm sure either will meet my needs.

Bob
post #5235 of 5244 Old 04-13-2016, 05:02 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynott View Post
Almost seven years now that my 1610 has been flawlessly been providing audio for my home theater setup. It looks like time to start the changeover to 4K and HDR so I am looking for a new receiver. Seeing that Dolby Atmos is also coming I think I'll need a 5.1.2 receiver. The Denon AVR - S710W should do the job and I can get it for less than I paid for the 1610. Not sure if I need to move up to the AVR - X1200W or not. I'm sure either will meet my needs.
The X1200W features the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT, comes with a 3rd year of warranty, and also features Zone 2 pre-outs should you ever want to add speakers in another room (eg. patio, den, garage, etc.) as the S710W can only power Zone 2 speakers using the on board amps which would limit your to 5.1 only in the main zone. Call for pricing and availability if interested.
blynott likes this.

------------

post #5236 of 5244 Old 04-13-2016, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
The X1200W features the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT, comes with a 3rd year of warranty, and also features Zone 2 pre-outs should you ever want to add speakers in another room (eg. patio, den, garage, etc.) as the S710W can only power Zone 2 speakers using the on board amps which would limit your to 5.1 only in the main zone. Call for pricing and availability if interested.
Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge. Actually the third year of warranty might be the best reason for me to go with the X1200W seeing how complex electronics are today.

Bob
post #5237 of 5244 Old 07-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Denon AVR-590 DAC vs Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC

Using the Chromecast Audio Monkey UPnP app to BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA on Samsung Avant. The CCA audio is connected via mini-toslink > toslink to optical input [OPT-2/DVR] on Denon AVR-590. FLAC files sound fantastic through my 5.1 Signet [speakers] system.

Should SQ be improved if I by-pass the ADAU1328 chip in the Denon [2 ADC/8 DAC with PLL, 192 kHz, 24-Bit Codec] with the Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC that uses the AK4490 chip? How good is the DAC in the Denon?
post #5238 of 5244 Old 07-08-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is there still a reasonable used market for the 590? I'm about to upgrade and trying to figure out if it's worth trying to sell my trusty 590. Though I have no idea what I'd do with it otherwise but sometimes the effort just isn't worth the reward.
post #5239 of 5244 Old 07-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3_FRB View Post
Is there still a reasonable used market for the 590? I'm about to upgrade and trying to figure out if it's worth trying to sell my trusty 590. Though I have no idea what I'd do with it otherwise but sometimes the effort just isn't worth the reward.
I just upgraded to the X1200 and listed my 1610 for $150 on a neighborhood website. No takers. Been a very awesome AVR and I would still be using it but I upgraded to 4K displays, etc. Never had any issues with it at all. Love Denon
post #5240 of 5244 Old 07-08-2016, 10:00 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
You might get a $100-$200 for it if you Craigslist it .. just depends on who might be looking. However, depending on what you are upgrading to, you may want to consider using it to power Zone 2 speakers or additional Atmos/DTS:X speakers.
bigdogaxis likes this.

------------

post #5241 of 5244 Old 07-08-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If it had BT I'd just use it to run my planned outside speakers to stream Pandora, etc. I guess I could get a BT receiver to plug in. I'll be going with either a X6200 or X4300 most likely and I'll need another 2 channels at some point but it seems kind of silly to run a second full AVR just to power 2 speakers. I'd rather simplify with an Emotiva or something even though it would be an extra expense instead of using something I already have.
post #5242 of 5244 Old 07-08-2016, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Will connecting a DAC via the front panel analog inputs effectively bypass the internal DAC in the 590?
post #5243 of 5244 Old 07-08-2016, 12:42 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothAudio View Post
Will connecting a DAC via the front panel analog inputs effectively bypass the internal DAC in the 590?
Only if using DIRECT/PURE DIRECT (which disables Audyssey); otherwise, if using Audyssey the signal would have to be digitized first. Most owners find using Audyssey provides better audio quality vs. using an external DAC.
bigdogaxis likes this.

------------

post #5244 of 5244 Old 07-08-2016, 12:45 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
If it had BT I'd just use it to run my planned outside speakers to stream Pandora, etc. I guess I could get a BT receiver to plug in. I'll be going with either a X6200 or X4300 most likely and I'll need another 2 channels at some point but it seems kind of silly to run a second full AVR just to power 2 speakers. I'd rather simplify with an Emotiva or something even though it would be an extra expense instead of using something I already have.
Your call. I initially began using an X4000 with my X6200W to expand to 11CH, but ended up selling it and picked up an AudioSource Amp100 instead with the sale money.

------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page