*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread
dunan's Avatar dunan 05:24 PM 09-11-2009
man if its aint one thing its another - i go to hook my sub up and i get nothing out of it. using a brand new monster cable with a brand new klipsch sub into the sub pre-out on the back of the denon and nothing, no sound, no cone vibration - nothing showing there is a signal going to the sub at all. in the speaker menu its set to LR main + LFE.

another setback, and all i'm trying to do is get my HT hooked up

soul embrace's Avatar soul embrace 05:29 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan View Post

in the speaker menu its set to LR main + LFE.

set it to just LFE and see what happens
dunan's Avatar dunan 05:36 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post

ok, i'll try it when i get home, thanks

and monster are infamous for making bad cables
soul embrace's Avatar soul embrace 05:40 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

monster are infamous for making bad cables

and over priced

when setting the receiver to just LFE it sends all the low feq. to the sub
rotelmania's Avatar rotelmania 05:45 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotelmania View Post

I have just received my 1610. I have couple question about setting it up:
1. I have a subwoofer that have a switch that will turn on/off the sub internal crossover. When I played a stereo, will 1610 activate its crossover frequency so that I can turn off the one in the sub? I know that when playing dolby digital, denon will automatically send LFE signal to my sub.

2. When I switch to stereo, the sound is much louder than the multichannel. How do I adjust the sound for stereo so that I will not have a heart attack the next time I switch from dolby to stereo? Will this where dynamic volume comes in?

thanks

Additional question. When I listen to my local tv HD programming, On the display it said "direct". if i hit the STD button, the display change to dolby pro logic. I guess it is because eventhough the programming say dolby digital, it is actually just 2 ch audio. I cannot get it to show Dolby D. Anybody know how to do this?

Also between dolby digital, dts and stereo there is a quite sound level difference. Is there anyway to adjust this? I know that there is adjustment for different input source but not for different audio decoding
dunan's Avatar dunan 05:46 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

and over priced

when setting the receiver to just LFE it sends all the low feq. to the sub

i think thats because they have a no questions asked return on them - i play bass and USED to use them before i went to wireless and if you breathed on them too hard they gave out. cant tell you how many cables i went thru, but at least they were all free
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:53 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilillo View Post

... my question and problem is how to listen with the optical cable? because i bought one for my tv to connect with the surround but it did not work. I hve it connected to the output on the tv and input tv opt 1 in the amp. is thre something else i should be doing? i read the manual and i am not too familiar and i do not understand much.
help would be greatly appreciated.

As suggested there are several ways to connect your cables. The only reason to connect it from the TV directly to the AVR is if your cable/sat box is not an HD box AND you have an OTA antenna that can capture HD channels. An optical cable from the TV will only pass stereo 2.0 unless you are receiving an OTA HD channel in which case it should pass DD 5.1. If you have an HD cable/sat box, it will also pass DD 5.1 for HD channels so in that case there's no reason to connect the cable from your TV, simply connect it from the cable/sat box.

Quote:

i found out what it was, its the surround mode, it was set to one of the surround modes when im only using 3 speakers. i set it to stereo and everything evened out.

That doesn't really make any sense, however, if it solves your problem ...great!

Quote:

I have just received my 1610. I have couple question about setting it up:
1. I have a subwoofer that have a switch that will turn on/off the sub internal crossover. When I played a stereo, will 1610 activate its crossover frequency so that I can turn off the one in the sub? I know that when playing dolby digital, denon will automatically send LFE signal to my sub.

Yes, prior to running AUTO SETUP you'll want to set that switch on the sub to OFF.

Quote:

... i did everything with the audyssey and when i was done with it i saw a little logo on the amp and after i accidentally pressed the std button and the tuner button the sound seems to be different? is there anyway to change it back to the settings i had before?
thank you for the help i rreally appreciate it

Yes, you can restore the original AUTO SETUP settings by going into the Auto Setup Menu and using the RESTORE function.

Quote:

If all speakers are set to SMALL (as they should be set after running Audyssey), then the Subwoofer Setup settings of LFE and LFE+Main both produce identical results.
soul embrace's Avatar soul embrace 05:54 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

but at least they were all free

yea can't complain about free

Quote:

Additional question. When I listen to my local tv HD programming, On the display it said "direct". if i hit the STD button, the display change to dolby pro logic. I guess it is because eventhough the programming say dolby digital, it is actually just 2 ch audio. I cannot get it to show Dolby D. Anybody know how to do this?

i can't get mine to do that but when i do what you are describing my stays on dolby digital
soul embrace's Avatar soul embrace 05:58 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If all speakers are set to SMALL (as they should be set after running Audyssey), then the Subwoofer Setup settings of LFE and LFE+Main both produce identical results.

thanks for correcting me.....i looked at how mine was set up and mine was set to LFE so that's the way i thought it should be. i forgot to say about setting the speakers to small
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 05:58 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

When watching TV you're generally going to want to use the STD button to set the surround mode to DD/DD PLII (rather than DIRECT which bypasses any tonal adjustments). Not all HD programs actually broadcast in DD 5.1 and even if they do, the commercials are stereo 2.0. Try switching to other HD channels and you'll eventually find one that is really broadcasting in DD 5.1 which will then show up on your display as Dolby Digital.

Also keep in mind that the default for Auto Surround Mode is ON which will remember the last surround mode you used for a particular input audio signal. If you change it to DD/DD PLII using the STD button, it will remain in that mode until you change it again. So that when it receives a DD signal, it will display Dolby Digital. And when it receives a stereo 2.0 signal, it will display Dolby PLII and simulate the additional surround signals to create a 5.1 signal.
dunan's Avatar dunan 06:00 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

That doesn't really make any sense, however, if it solves your problem ...great!

yeah it was surprising when i switched modes and set it to 'stereo'; it was on dolby DD/DD PLII

so i have to run audessey before the sub will work? i have the front stereo speakers set to 'large', is that why i cant hear the sub? im confused...
soul embrace's Avatar soul embrace 06:02 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

i have the front stereo speakers set to 'large', is that why i cant hear the sub? im confused...

set all speakers to small
dunan's Avatar dunan 06:05 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

set all speakers to small

so if i do that the sub should work? i thought it should work no matter what the fronts were set at. when i demo'd the sub, they had it hooked to a whole klipsch system with some pretty big towers and it was working then, but it wasnt a denon receiver, i dont remember what receiver it was
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:09 PM 09-11-2009
Your sub should work with the Denon straight out of the box; however, it will sound considerably better after you run AUTO SETUP. If the 1610 sets your mains to LARGE, simply go into the MANUAL menu and set ALL speakers to SMALL.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:19 PM 09-11-2009
Some folks in your shoes discovered they never flipped the ON/OFF switch on the sub to ON. Did you?
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:25 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

thanks for correcting me.....i looked at how mine was set up and mine was set to LFE so that's the way i thought it should be. i forgot to say about setting the speakers to small

Mains set to LARGE:
"LFE" - plays .1 LFE signal + low range below crossover setting of those speakers set to SMALL
"LFE+Main" - plays .1 LFE signal + low range of ALL speakers below their crossover settings

All speakers set to SMALL:
"LFE" - same as above, however, as ALL speakers are set to SMALL that means ALL speakers
"LFE+Main" - same as above (ie ALL speakers)
dunan's Avatar dunan 06:29 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

Some folks in your shoes discovered they never flipped the ON/OFF switch on the sub to ON. Did you?

LOL admittedly i didnt check it at first, and it wasnt even plugged in

so i'm thinking 'thats why, DUH' but then i fixed the user errors (plug in and switched sub on) and still nothing. front RL are set to large, surrounds are set to small, sub is set to YES, center set to small.

i would think it should work no matter what, so it may be a bad monster cable. if i hook up a regular speaker to the sub out, can i troubleshoot it that way, to see if i get a signal?
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:37 PM 09-11-2009
Too funny ... at least you admitted it.

You don't need a special sub cable. In order to test it simply connect it with a red/white RCA cable or more ideally with a yellow video composite cable. The yellow video cable also makes a great alternative to using a digital coax cable as well for those components you want to connect to the AVR are were originally thinking of using either optical or digital coax.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 06:52 PM 09-11-2009
This from a Klipsch FAQ ...

I'm not getting any sound out of the subwoofer. What should I check?
Unplug the system to allow the subwoofer to reset. Also, test the speaker using another device. You can plug one end of an audio cable (you may need a RCA female to Mini-plug male adaptor) into the headphone output jack of devices such as a portable CD player or MP3 player; plug the other into either line in' RCA jacks on the sub to determine if the problem is with the subwoofer or the soundcard drivers. If problems persist, please email technical support at technicalsupport@klipsch.com.

Subwoofer Direct CD Test:
If you get little or no sound from your subwoofer, perform a "direct in" test to determine if the problem is more than a simple cable or level-setting issue. Start by using a different set of RCA connector cables, then connect the analog audio out from a CD player or DVD player directly into the subwoofer's LINE IN connections. Then, turn the volume level on the subwoofer all the way down. While playing a CD, raise the volume level on the subwoofer; you should hear the bass portion from the source material. If the subwoofer still duplicates the problem, then the issue may be a blown woofer or involve the sub amplifier. However, if the subwoofer functions correctly, then the issue may be with a cable, the receiver and/or a level setting.
rotelmania's Avatar rotelmania 11:01 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

Yes, prior to running AUTO SETUP you'll want to set that switch on the sub to OFF.

So after I run my auto setup, the avr will do the crossover even for stereo signal? In the manual, it said that the subwoofer need to be set to direct mode and disable the volume adjustment and crossover frequency setting. I have BIC f12 sub and it has a setting where I can disable the corssover frequency. But it will not disable the volume adjustment. the volume can still be adjusted. Do I set the volume to 0 or the 12 o'clock position?
rotelmania's Avatar rotelmania 11:05 PM 09-11-2009
Quote:

When watching TV you're generally going to want to use the STD button to set the surround mode to DD/DD PLII (rather than DIRECT which is only 2.1 or 2.0 depending on how you have it setup). Not all HD programs actually broadcast in DD 5.1 and even if they do, the commercials are stereo 2.0. Try switching to other HD channels and you'll eventually find one that is really broadcasting in DD 5.1 which will then show up on your display as Dolby Digital.

Also keep in mind that the default for Auto Surround Mode is ON which will remember the last surround mode you used for a particular input audio signal. If you change it to DD/DD PLII using the STD button, it will remain in that mode until you change it again. So that when it receives a DD signal, it will display Dolby Digital. And when it receives a stereo 2.0 signal, it will display Dolby PLII and simulate the additional surround signals to create a 5.1 signal.

What is the difference direct playback and standard playback?
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 02:07 AM 09-12-2009
If you haven't reviewed it already, please review the Audyssey Setup Guide posted here. Set the volume to 12 o'clock on your sub. Depending on the channel setting after running AUTO SETUP it can then be adjusted accordingly.

DIRECT mode bypasses any tonal adjustments (bass/treble controls, bass management, Audyssey, etc.) and simply sends the pure audio signal straight to the speakers from the source. PURE DIRECT in addition to the above also shuts off any video circuits including the front panel display. STANDARD playback mode processes the signal first before sending it to the speakers.
rotelmania's Avatar rotelmania 06:10 AM 09-12-2009
Quote:

yeah it was surprising when i switched modes and set it to 'stereo'; it was on dolby DD/DD PLII

so i have to run audessey before the sub will work? i have the front stereo speakers set to 'large', is that why i cant hear the sub? im confused...

I think I know what causing your sub does not work. I have this too before. What happen is if you set to "stereo" and the front speaker is set to :Large, then the sub will not work. If you set the avr to stereo you need to set the speaker to small. That is what I did and it work. For all the other surround setting, the sub will work even if you have the speaker set to large. Can the expert verify this?

If I have a tower speaker and I want to send the bass to the sub and the front speaker when I am in stereo, How do I do that? Or is it does not matter whether I set it to small or large if I am using audessy and audessy will set the right crossover for my type of speaker?
rotelmania's Avatar rotelmania 06:15 AM 09-12-2009
Quote:

If you haven't reviewed it already, please review the Audyssey Setup Guide posted here. Set the volume to 12 o'clock on your sub. Depending on the channel setting after running AUTO SETUP it can then be adjusted accordingly.

Just to clarify.. So if I run the auto setup, the avr will do the crossover even in 2channel stereo?
rotelmania's Avatar rotelmania 06:48 AM 09-12-2009
when I go to menu --> information --.AUDIO INPUT SIGNal,I saw a line said offset: -4db. Is there a way to change that? I ask because between dts, dolby digital and stereo there is a huge volume level difference. I would like to normalize the volume level so that I do not have a heart attack when switching different source. thanks
HDdude24's Avatar HDdude24 09:48 AM 09-12-2009
Hello all! I want to setup a temporary 3.1 using my old systems speakers for the start of the NFL season "can't wait" What are the best settings on 1610 to use? I can't stand the speakers on my panny G10 after using 5.1 for years.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 10:46 AM 09-12-2009
Quote:

If I have a tower speaker and I want to send the bass to the sub and the front speaker when I am in stereo, How do I do that? Or is it does not matter whether I set it to small or large if I am using audessy and audessy will set the right crossover for my type of speaker?

Quote:

Just to clarify.. So if I run the auto setup, the avr will do the crossover even in 2channel stereo?

The 1610 will use the same Audyssey settings in Stereo mode as in full surround mode as long as they are not manually changed. Also, the sub default for STEREO mode is YES so it will work regardless of whether Mains are LARGE or SMALL.

Quote:

when I go to menu --> information --.AUDIO INPUT SIGNal,I saw a line said offset: -4db. Is there a way to change that? I ask because between dts, dolby digital and stereo there is a huge volume level difference. I would like to normalize the volume level so that I do not have a heart attack when switching different source. thanks

Sorry, but no, this cannot be changed. It is the DD Dialog Normalization Factor and is set by the source signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDdude24 View Post

Hello all! I want to setup a temporary 3.1 using my old systems speakers for the start of the NFL season "can't wait" What are the best settings on 1610 to use? I can't stand the speakers on my panny G10 after using 5.1 for years.

Just do AUTO SETUP and let Audyssey do it's magic on them. Then use the surround mode DD / DD PLII so the HD channels that broadcast in DD 5.1 will be passed to the 1610.
nsahoo's Avatar nsahoo 12:07 PM 09-12-2009
Why are there two sets of front audio outs? They are marked A set and B set.
pilillo's Avatar pilillo 12:15 PM 09-12-2009
Quote:

Yes, you can restore the original AUTO SETUP settings by going into the Auto Setup Menu and using the RESTORE function.

like will this restore what i stored after adjusting the audyssey settings with all the 6 seatying positions? or will it restore it to factory settings?

thanks for the help
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 12:28 PM 09-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsahoo View Post

Why are there two sets of front audio outs? They are marked A set and B set.

Some folks prefer to use a separate set of front speakers for stereo listening so the "B" speaker jacks allow for that configuration. Some have also used them for patio speaker connections when the same "digital" source is wanted on the patio as Zone 2 only allows for analog sources.

Quote:

like will this restore what i stored after adjusting the audyssey settings with all the 6 seatying positions? or will it restore it to factory settings?

It restores to the last Audyssey settings. Resetting the Microprocessor resets to the factory default settings.
Tags: Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop