post #61 of 5202 Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesto View Post

Actually i found the Lowpass can be changed to OFF, so it rely's on the Denon 1610 crossover. I played with several settings (so i dont know what it is that fixed it) but i got it working now and everything sounds AWESOME!

Great! I would re-run Audyssey since you have been fiddling with the sub controls, and especially because you defeated the crossover. The electronic filter in the sub introduces some delay which causes Audyssey to compensate; a big element of Audyssey's calibration is the TIME alignment of your system.

So, once you have the sub controls tweaked to your liking (volume is solid, low-pass is defeated, phase at 0, etc) re-run Audyssey. You will probably have to re-tweak any changes to made e.g. to crossover frequency in the receiver.

In general, once you run Audyssey you shouldn't touch the controls on the sub, and instead do everything digitally in the receiver. If make any physical changes to the system (either repositioning the sub or playing with the dials) you should re-run Audyssey so the system is still calibrated.

Enjoy And all you other 1610/590 owners, please keep some reviews coming.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5202 Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setting mine up in a few mins... I'll review once I see how it all goes
post #63 of 5202 Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

OK first thing is that it simply processes the video from my cable DVR over component, it leaves 480i as 480i from the SD channels...

On to the Audessy setup
post #64 of 5202 Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 PM

I have the Denon 1610 on back order from JandR for 330. I also ordered a polk audio rm705. This will be for my father to use in his bedroom.

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35
post #65 of 5202 Old 06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Setup went smoothly, thanks to the Audyssey setup guide here and Batpig's excellent "FADQ"

The remote does indeed have a dimmer button (I seem to recall there was some question of this). The only really obnoxious thing about the display is that when you feed a TrueHD/DTS-HD stream it lights up a rather large blue "HD Audio" logo which does not dim with the rest of the display, short sighted thinking there Denon. I guess since this is a lower end reciever they want to impress newbies to Blu-ray and high resolution audio?

The combination of a real enthusiast brand receiver and the Audessey room corrections have done wonders for my cheap little speakers. As a point of reference my previous receiver was an ~$100 on closeout basic 5.1 Sherwood (their budget brand, not Sherwood Newcastle) receiver I got at Fry's circa 2003.

As expected, I had to cut the subwoofer back a bit, since I live in an apartment. I can see how Dynamic HQ really does keep things like the reference (movie theater) level, but it just won't work in my housing situation without tweaking the sub down a bit. Will of course have to keep tweaking the sub level a bit as I try more content at differing times of the day.
post #66 of 5202 Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post

I have the Denon 1610 on back order from JandR for 330. I also ordered a polk audio rm705. This will be for my father to use in his bedroom.

Why wait when they are in stock right around the corner?
post #67 of 5202 Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

Setup went smoothly, thanks to the Audyssey setup guide here and Batpig's excellent "FADQ"

The remote does indeed have a dimmer button (I seem to recall there was some question of this). The only really obnoxious thing about the display is that when you feed a TrueHD/DTS-HD stream it lights up a rather large blue "HD Audio" logo which does not dim with the rest of the display, short sighted thinking there Denon. I guess since this is a lower end reciever they want to impress newbies to Blu-ray and high resolution audio?

Yeah, that would be annoying to me if it doesn't dim everything. Can someone confirm that this is limited to the 590 only? I will step up to the 1910 if it doesn't show this HD audio thing when the whole display is supposed to be dimmed.

Also, people please post your impression of the sound quality for music particularly.
post #68 of 5202 Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

they all have the blue light. most people think it's cool because it makes them feel special that they are listening to HD audio.

If you set your Blu-ray player to decode first, and sent multichannel PCM, you don't get the blue light and it sounds exactly the same

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #69 of 5202 Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

they all have the blue light. most people think it's cool because it makes them feel special that they are listening to HD audio.

That's exactly what I said :P

Quote:

If you set your Blu-ray player to decode first, and sent multichannel PCM, you don't get the blue light and it sounds exactly the same

LOL, true, I'll sit down and watch a movie proper-like in the next day or so and see what I think.
post #70 of 5202 Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Also, people please post your impression of the sound quality for music particularly.

I haven't done a huge amount of music listening, and what I did listen to was from compressed sources of one sort or another.

I connected my iPod through the mini-jack to RCA cable I have around (the proper iPod dock I might get someday...) and it sounded pretty decent. I also listened to a few minutes of a variety of types of music on the Music Choice digital cable music channels, and all sounded quite nice. Clearly better than my old equipment.
post #71 of 5202 Old 06-25-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Why wait when they are in stock right around the corner?

huh ?

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35
post #72 of 5202 Old 06-25-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post

huh ?

He probably meant you can buy it from him right away instead of waiting.
post #73 of 5202 Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ordered a 1610 to replace my very old Denon AVR-1801, which was also a bottom of the line model back when I bought it 9 years ago. Technology sure has come a long way!
post #74 of 5202 Old 06-25-2009, 11:04 PM

After searching and not really finding anything, I have a problem that I hope Batpig with all of his Harmony experience can help with.

I have a Harmony 890. Using the rf extender, I find that the remote sends multiple signals to the denon when I have the remote over 8 feet from the extender. Example: standing close to the extender and pressing volume up/down results in normal .5 dB step. Move away, and one button press causes a 5 db step. Likewise, while in Tuner mode chan +/- results in one preset jump when close, and a 2 channel jump when over 8 feet from the extender.
It only happens on the Denon.

I've tried adjusting the repeats in the Harmony software, to no avail -- I get the same response from the receiver no matter what it is set at.

I emailed Harmony support, but thought maybe someone here has had similar issues and knows how to fix it?
post #75 of 5202 Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

sorry my man, I've never dealt with RF so I can't help you. I would definitely work with Harmony tech support, and also check out Harmony support forums (both here and at remotecentral). My guess is it's more of a Harmony issue than a Denon issue... good luck, and please report back if you find the cause! Someone else may be lurking and having a similar issue...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #76 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 AM

Well I set up my AVR-1610 yesterday and it sounds great. I threw Transformers into the Blu-Ray and the surround sound really came out much better than my former Yamaha receiver. I am currently playing with the sound fields (my bane) in order to make sure I get the best sound field for the signal I am receiving. I am currently reading Batpig's site about that.
The Audyssey auto set-up was intuitive and easy. The only hard part is finding all of the things in my house that make noise and turning them off. My wife didn't like having to be quiet for the approx. 20 minutes it took to do that (unfortunately I can't turn her off). It takes about two minutes or so for the 1610 to run through one position with the test tones. Otherwise from what I can tell it got the distances and speaker sizes right while sounding great. For an A/V dummy like myself the auto set-up is a godsend.
My Harmony set up for the 1610 with few problems. It had to learn SAT/CBL because for some reason it was not an original option, only SAT/DBS and TV, both of which did not work for some reason.
Otherwise it is a definite improvement over my old receiver and even my wife notices and likes the better sound. If anyone has any questions ask away and I will do my best to answer.
post #77 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

in terms of "sound fields" to use, unlike your Yamaha the Denon receivers are really focused on the "straight" decoding of sources and playing them accurately as recorded. Yamaha's will sometimes actually sound better using one of the proprietary sound fields, Yamaha really is focused on creating cool and usable surround fields with extra DSP processing.

On the other hand, Denon's DSP modes (accessed with the "SIMU" button) are pretty much horrible, and should generally be avoided.

For the vast majority of material, you will want the "Standard" decoding mode (accessed with the "STD" button at the bottom of your remote). The "Standard" mode will put your receiver in the default decoding mode for the input signal you are receiving.

For example, if you are receiving a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal, you will see "DOLBY DIGITAL". If you are getting DTS, it will say "DTS". If you are receiving TrueHD, it will say "DOLBY TrueHD", and so forth.

So, basically, for any MULTICHANNEL input just stick to the "Standard" mode and you are good to go. MultEQ + Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume will take care of the rest.

For any TWO CHANNEL input, you have your choice of listening to it in straight stereo or direct mode ("D/ST" button) or matrixing it to multichannel using the "Cinema" or "Music" buttons. I explain this stuff pretty well in the FAQ.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #78 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the info Batpig, that makes my life easier. The problem I had, and why I was playing with it, is that I had the 1610 on Fox News and the 1610 display was showing Dolby Digital, but I was only getting sound out of the front three speakers. I thought I had the settings wrong (i.e. I had it set to Dolby Digital for a stereo signal) I will hit the "std" button when I get home and see what happens.
post #79 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

well there's the problem, you are watching Fox News!

In all seriousness though, that is just the way the audio is mixed. most HD stations broadcast in 5.1 DD but they don't always use all the channels, especially with something like the news where there isn't much "surround" sound needed. Sometimes you will find local news, commercials, etc where they broadcast in stereo even though the display is DD 5.1, and they just send "blank" channels for the others. So your receiver "thinks" it is getting Dolby Digital 5.1 but sound only comes out of 2 speakers.

If the input signal is Dolby Digital and the display reads "DOLBY DIGITAL" but sound isn't coming out of all the speakers, it is because of the source input. So in other words, you aren't doing anything wrong, it's the network's fault

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #80 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Those cheaters. They lead you in with 5-channel audio and only give you 2-channel. Can't trust anyone anymore. Ha ha
post #81 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

On my cable system, the PBS-HD channel and the MLB network are the worst offenders. They are always broadcasting in 5.1 but are typically only playing 2.0 stereo.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #82 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean running 5 or 6 rca cables from the dvd player to the receivers? So you would need a dvd player with multichannel output and a receiver with multichannel input, right?

Also, a question about Audyssey: does it do more than just setting up speaker level, size and distance? I can do those things by myself. I don't Audyssey for that.
post #83 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You mean running 5 or 6 rca cables from the dvd player to the receivers?

No, I am talking about the Blu-Ray player decoding the soundtrack and then sending multichannel PCM over HDMI. Like what the PS3 does. It's effectively a "digital" version of multichannel analog cables, the advantage is (1) only one (HDMI) cable is needed and (2) you can apply digital post-processing such as Audyssey, bass management, etc.

The AVR FAQ at the top of this forum has a very good breakdown on "bitstream" versus "PCM", I suggest you check it out.

Quote:

Also, a question about Audyssey: does it do more than just setting up speaker level, size and distance?

Yes, it's doing a WHOLE LOT more than just setting up your speaker levels/distances!!!

Read through this:
http://www.audyssey.com/technology/index.html

and this little "powerpoint" slideshow:
http://www.audyssey.com/technology/graphs/graph1.html

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #84 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 12:44 PM

Hello my fellow Denon 1610/590 owners.

I finally got the 1610 last night from Electronics-Expo.

I hooked it up earlier in the morning today but I was having a huge problem with the cable/sat hdmi port.

The screen would go all black then show static all around the screen and then show the actual channel. It would do this over and over again not to mention the receiver also changes the sound output every time the TV flicks to either all black screen, static screen or seeing the actual channel. I reassigned everything 3 times and changed the hdmi cables and still having this problem. I cannot think of anything else that might cause this problem. I checked Denon's manual but it really lacks details and instructions. Everything else is working perfectly fine for now. When I get out of work, I will continue to play around with it and hopefully this problem will be solved.

I have a Cablevision Scientific Atlanta cable box from NY.
HDMI cables were from ebay and mono price.
TV is a Samsung 46B650.
post #85 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I assume everything else is working fine right?

hdmi on the denon is plug-and-play beyond assigning the inputs, so you have not messed up any settings. what you are experiencing is HDMI "handshake" problems which are extremely common with cable boxes especially. the fault is with the cheap Sci. Atl. cable box.

the common options for finding a solution are:

1. making sure the firmware of your cable box and TV are both up-to-date
2. checking with your cable company to see if they have a newer/better cable box (which will be more likely to have up-to-date HDMI EDID info)
3. experimenting with a different power-on ordering for your devices
4. setting your cable box to output at one fixed resolution (1080i)
5. check if there are any HDMI-CEC features enabled in the TV

I'm afraid to say that oftentimes things never end up working correctly -- this is always a potential issue with cable boxes and ANY hdmi switch.

If nothing fixes the problems, the surefire solutions are:

1. run your cable box straight to the TV w/ an HDMI cable, and run a digital audio cable from the cable box to the Denon AVR. having the HDMI bypass the receiver from your cable box will usually cure things. You can watch TV without powering on the receiver (and thus you can also leave the HDMI Control feature off and consume less power) and then fire up the Denon whenever you want surround sound.

2. run your cable box with component + digital audio cable to the Denon, which will remove it from the "handshake" sequence as the cable box won't be sending out HDMI video/audio. you can still run an HDMI cable to the TV.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #86 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I do option #2 -- use component and digial audio, and I always have, because I did the research on my Comcast Motorola DVR and found that the HDMI output is less than ideal... with handshacking issues and wierd bugs where it falls back to 2-channel PCM rather than passing through the AC3 bitstream and so on.

The 590/1610 does a fine job at doing the analog to digital conversion from component to HDMI.
post #87 of 5202 Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

that is how I run my cable box as well (component + digital audio). not only do I never have to worry about "handshake" problems, I also now have a spare HDMI input on my receiver.

And, as a side benefit, this allows me to use the "video select" function to mix music + TV (for example when I want tunes in the background while watching the game). The "video select" doesn't work with HDMI sources (another unfortunate HDMI limitation).

cable boxes unfortunately are generally garbage products and all the nonsense with HDMI handshaking makes it even worse.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #88 of 5202 Old 06-27-2009, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just picked up a Denon AVR-590 from Fry's. I purchased it for my lower end setup downstairs to run my Def Tech Gem XL's, ProCenter2000, ProMonitor 1000's and Mirage S8. I am pretty pleased overall with the sound. It has alot of great features and enough power to run smaller speakers when crossed over at 100HZ or above. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for anything but satellite systems though.
post #89 of 5202 Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post

Just picked up a Denon AVR-590 from Fry's. I purchased it for my lower end setup downstairs to run my Def Tech Gem XL's, ProCenter2000, ProMonitor 1000's and Mirage S8. I am pretty pleased overall with the sound. It has alot of great features and enough power to run smaller speakers when crossed over at 100HZ or above. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for anything but satellite systems though.

I have 4 Book Shelf style speakers a pretty big Center and a pretty big Sub. Do you think Denon AVR 1610 will have enough power for this setup?

I have a 10 year old Yamaha 795a http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-receiver.html right now which has more then enough power to drive these speakers. But I am upgradeing to the Denon.

Should I cancel my order?

You don't sound like your in love with the Denon.
post #90 of 5202 Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't worry about this receiver not having enough power to drive tower speakers. I would be more concerned with the efficiency of the speakers. I don't think Denon would sell a receiver designed to to work with tiny speakers only.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Avr590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page