*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5209 Old 07-15-2009, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What should we use as a device in setting up Harmony remotes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5209 Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
anything you want, all Denon AVR's use the same IR codes.

If you want a pretty complete database of commands with some extra goodies, use "AVR 2309CI"

If you want a huge database with tons of commands, use "AVR 3808CI".

(don't forget the "CI" part in both cases, or else you will get a much smaller set of commands... see this post for more info on the specifics)

Anything that is missing can be taught from the Denon remote or copied from my account (see the link in my signature).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #183 of 5209 Old 07-16-2009, 06:59 AM

Recently got the 1610, and has set it up with batpigs superb guide (thanx batpig)...

One Q though:

Is there a way to get the 1610 to put the sub in stand by when receiver is put in stand by? With my old Yamaha the sub went to std by after 10-15min...

rgds
/ Richard
post #184 of 5209 Old 07-16-2009, 07:00 AM

Awesome. I was hoping one device would have the dbs/sat issue resolved as discussed earlier on page 6. I guess I will have to learn to play around with it to get it to work. If either of those who figured it out can give detailed instructions that would be appreciated.
post #185 of 5209 Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccster View Post

Is there a way to get the 1610 to put the sub in stand by when receiver is put in stand by? With my old Yamaha the sub went to std by after 10-15min...

does your sub not have an auto power feature? the receiver doesn't really have much to do with your sub going into standby...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #186 of 5209 Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN52 View Post

Awesome. I was hoping one device would have the dbs/sat issue resolved as discussed earlier on page 6. I guess I will have to learn to play around with it to get it to work. If either of those who figured it out can give detailed instructions that would be appreciated.

mauz's post from a couple of days ago (#169) gave pretty detailed instructions

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #187 of 5209 Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

does your sub not have an auto power feature? the receiver doesn't really have much to do with your sub going into standby...

Well i might have messed that switch up when setting up the bass. I will look in to that again.

Thanx

/ Richard
post #188 of 5209 Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 AM

got 1910 on that EExpo deal... thanks to whoever for originally posting it! Got my UPS notfication today, it will be here on 7/21. Now I have to finish constructing built in bookcases, moving power outlets, and drywalling so the Samsung A630 can go on the wall
post #189 of 5209 Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I tried searching but couldn't find an answer to my question for this receiver. I'm am trying to decide between this and the 1910.

Quote:

The first post in the Denon 1910 thread it states:

4. HDMI Control gets a "Standby Source" setting (see pg 28) which allows you to specify which HDMI input is "passed through" to your TV. No need to remember to switch inputs before you power down!

Does the 1610 operate in the same fashion? I assume it does but I am not sure...
post #190 of 5209 Old 07-17-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

yes, see pg 27 of the manual (HDMI Setup)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #191 of 5209 Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks Batpig. I missed that part when I peeked at the manual.
post #192 of 5209 Old 07-17-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomdori View Post

you can pick it up for just hairline under 300 at Electronics Expo with a coupon code "RECEIVERSALE" which will get you a discount for 80 bux.
Good luck!

Thanks for the code, but I have a question: do you know until when it's going to work?

Thank you
post #193 of 5209 Old 07-18-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Ordered a denon 1610 yesterday, should be arriving next week or early the week after! Yay! I will let you know how easy the setup is!
post #194 of 5209 Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 AM

Hey guys I am loving my new Denon 1610 !!

But I need some advice.

With my old stereo I had an HDMI going stright to the TV and a digital audio cable going to the stereo. And everything worked great!

But now with the Denon 1610 I have an HDMI cable hooked up to the Denon and then an HDMI to the TV. But doing it this way I found that when switching channels there seems to be a slight delay in the audio. It takes a second or 2 to come on when switching channels. Is that normal? Also when turning the Denon on the picture also takes a little longer to come on.

With the older set up Sound and video was almost instant.

Now what I would really like to know is if I were to instead run my cable box with component + digital audio cable to the Denon and then HDMI to the TV would this fix the delay issue I am seeing? And also would my picture quality be the same?
post #195 of 5209 Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

yes, that delay is totally normal when switching channels via HDMI.

switching to component+digital would probably make the channel changes faster

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #196 of 5209 Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks for that info Batpig

Also would I hook up the component cable into the DVR input and also the digital audio cable to the dvr input on the Denon?

And I guess I could also still run an HDMI cable from the Cable box to direct to the TV?

And doing it this way i would just hit the dvr input on the remote correct?
post #197 of 5209 Old 07-19-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny0011 View Post

I just watched knowing on blu-ray last night,awesome!This bd has a great soundtrack and the 590 really rocked!To my ears the 590 sounds better than the pioneer 1019 that I have. I used to think that mcacc was the best auto setup but the audessy has changed my mind.The 590 barely gets warm even at high volume settings,the 1019 gets really hot just being on.I highly recommend the 1610-590 to anyone who is trying to decide what to get.

In what ways does it sound better?? I'm thinking about getting rid of my 1019. Also as far as volume leveling is the Denon similiar to the pioneer?? with my pioneer I set it to ALC and explosions are still pretty loud when volume is set high enough to hear people speak low. IS that a common home theater problem?? are the denon and pioneer similiar when it comes to that or is the denon much better?
post #198 of 5209 Old 07-19-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gate1975mlm View Post

Also would I hook up the component cable into the DVR input and also the digital audio cable to the dvr input on the Denon?

it doesn't matter which inputs you use, they are all assignable.

Quote:

And I guess I could also still run an HDMI cable from the Cable box to direct to the TV?

correct

Quote:

And doing it this way i would just hit the dvr input on the remote correct?

if you assign the inputs you are using to the "DVR" input name, then yes

note that it MIGHT not make the channel changes instantaneous like you were used to, some of the delay may be the AVR re-syncing with the TV via HDMI, so you still might get delays. It's sort of the way it goes modern HD cable switching especially when the channel change involves a resolution change.

other options (in case channel changing remains slow) could be switching the cable box's output to a single resolution (1080i) as resolution changes are what causes the worst delays (you could try this with HDMI before you swap cables). or, you could bypass the AVR for video and run HDMI straight to TV from the cable box like you had before, and just run a digital audio cable to the Denon for surround sound.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #199 of 5209 Old 07-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Okay---some questions now that I have everything hooked up (likelky not configured yet).

1) Is there a way to play my Ipod without the ipod dock? i.e. can I run 3.5mm audio cable from my ipod to an input on the Denon 1610? If so, which input?

2) When my display on the Denon readsDolby PLII Cinema---this is taking a 2 Ch mode and "matrixing" it to 5.1? The Signal received is DolbyDigital and format is 2/0/0. If I change this to Steroe mode, then I should only hear audio from my LR speakers, correct?

I seem to be only able to switch between PLII Cinema and Music---is there a base PLII mode? If so,how do I get that with the remote...I press the STD button but it just swtiches between the two modes?

3) Is it possible for the display to read Dolby Digital, format 3/2/.1 and signal to be Dolby Digital and only hear from the LR speakers? My gf was watching the View this week and it said it was in Dolby Digital mode but only heard from the LR speakers---I assume it was just the source saying it was broadcasting DD5.1 but wasn't actually? I didn't check the format so I',m not sure if it read 3/2/.1 for the view...

4) My speaker crossovers are set to 120hz(LR and surrounds) and 90hz (centre). I have Cinema 330's and LCR and Cinema 90's as surrounds. Dose this sound right or was something messed during Audysse? I hae my sub crossover set to bypass on the actual sub itself.

Thanks everyone.
post #200 of 5209 Old 07-19-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1) yes of course, it puts out audio just like any other device. your standard "y-cable" headphone jack > RCA stereo will work fine. you can use any analog input you desire, there is nothing special about the ipod.

the only issue with that arrangement is that the headphone jack output is not perfect quality, being variable level, so you will have to play with the volume of both the ipod and the Denon to find the right level (e.g. you don't want the headphone jack being fed so "hot" that it introduces hiss into the signal... but then you also don't want the output so low that you have to crank the volume super high on the receiver)

2) all correct, except there is no "base" PLII mode. With original Pro Logic there was one only mode, but PLII has a "Cinema" mode with fixed parameters that is meant for standard movie/TV viewing (where the 2-ch sound is going to be encoded with spatial cues that will work well with a matrix extraction), and a "Music" mode with adjustible parameters for content like 2-ch music that was never intended for surround sound.

3) yes, that is because some cable channels will "pack" a 2-ch signal into DD 5.1, sending "blank" channels for the center and surround. on my local cable PBS-HD does this all the time, as does the MLB-HD network.

4) sounds fine to me...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #201 of 5209 Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:

1. check your sub's manual, generally subs with dual inputs have one (typically Left) which is designed for a mono (LFE) connection. you can also split the signal with a simple RCA y-cable if you so choose.

in reference to this, is there a huge improvement if we use the y-splitter instead of using mono subs? i have a jamo a102 that has a left/right input on the sub. and can any rca splitter do? or do i need to use something that's specific for subwoofers?

also, if i opt for this, do i need to redo the audyssey auto-setup?

thanks!
post #202 of 5209 Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

is there a huge improvement if we use the y-splitter instead of using mono subs?

no, not at all. it's the exact same mono signal, just split to two inputs. the only difference is that the sub may end up having a louder effective gain (usually 3dB more) when fed with both inputs; for some subs it can also make the "auto on" feature a little more sensitive. but the sound quality will be identical, it's still the same signal.

Quote:

can any rca splitter do?

yep, nothing special about it

Quote:

if i opt for this, do i need to redo the audyssey auto-setup?

not necessarily, but as I mention above the sub's volume will change so you will have to rebalance the speaker levels. you can do this manually, just adjust the sub down 3dB and it should be back on target.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #203 of 5209 Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:

no, not at all. it's the exact same mono signal, just split to two inputs. the only difference is that the sub may end up having a louder effective gain (usually 3dB more) when fed with both inputs; for some subs it can also make the "auto on" feature a little more sensitive. but the sound quality will be identical, it's still the same signal.

hi batpig. thanks again for the response. from your answer to the first question, it looks like there's not much difference or advantage from using the 2 inputs except for the 3db gain (which has already been compensated by audyssey) and the auto on sensitivity, which i feel is enough as it is.

so i'll just save the money for something else

thanks!
post #204 of 5209 Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 AM

Liked: 12
The denon`s audessey dynamic volume is much better in all regards than pioneer`s alc.The pioneer alc will only do multi channel alc if the signal is multi channel.If the signal is 2.0 than the alc will only do 2 channel alc.If you try to use any surround mode the alc will will go off.I noticed how much easier it is to hear dialouge from the center channel with the denon.As far as music goes the midrange and seperation are much better with the denon.If you go to the 1019 thread you will find most people have given up on alc.The only thing I miss from the pioneer is direct ipod play,no seperate dock needed.
post #205 of 5209 Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Should I change the LFE from 80hz to 120hz in the Denon menu? Not the crossovers, but that special LFE setting they have? My crossovers are set to 120hz R,L and surrounds and 90Hz centre...I thought i read to set it to 120hz in your manual but wasn't 100% if that's what you meant?
post #206 of 5209 Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 AM

I just hooked up and configured my new AVR-590. I wanted to see how it sounded compared to the Onkyo TX-SR507 that I've been using for a few months. I hate to use those vague adjectives that reviewers use in audio reviews, but I don't know any other way to describe the sound. To my ears, the Denon sounds fuller, more balanced, with the highs and lows more smoothly integrated within the sound field. The Onkyo sometimes sounds a little less smooth in comparison. Its a very subtle difference but, again, I'm just trying to relay my subjective reactions. I'm also impressed by how much cooler the Denon runs.

Interestingly, I had a Denon AVR-1909 last year that I returned. No matter what I tried, the bass was unusually loud and strong and could not be corrected. Perhaps there have been changes in Audyssey that are incoporated in to the new 590. I know there is a new "Reference Level Offset" in the 590 that is meant to help with bass problems, but I have not used it. I'm just using the settings that the Audyssesy set up has provided.

In summary, the AVR-590 is definitely a keeper! It sounds amazing! I've already sold the Onkyo.
post #207 of 5209 Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN52 View Post

Should I change the LFE from 80hz to 120hz in the Denon menu? Not the crossovers, but that special LFE setting they have? My crossovers are set to 120hz R,L and surrounds and 90Hz centre...I thought i read to set it to 120hz in your manual but wasn't 100% if that's what you meant?

yes, set it to 120Hz and forget it....

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #208 of 5209 Old 07-20-2009, 02:06 PM

I recently bought a 590 as a secondary system and using it to drive Energy Take Classic speakers. Batpig's guide and the Audyssey instructions saved me a lot of time and confusion (thank you!). Since I only have 5.1 and listen at moderate volume levels, the 590 does a very good job for my needs. This Denon is my first departure from Yamaha equipment. The newer models (from all brands) have really taken many measures to reduce cost. At least the Denon has binding posts for all the speakers (unlike the lower end Yamahas) but the plastic front and knobs are tough to get used to. For $300 I got good audio and a great feature set, so I can't complain. I don't know if I'm just lucky, but I've had no problems with my HDMI equipment (HTPC, Xbox360, HD-DVD). I suspect that most people don't care, but the FM tuner is rather poor. Maybe it's just part of the industry wide cost reductions, but the tuner is noisier and less sensitive that my old Yam HTR-5280, which was worse than my Yam T-700. For people who are looking for a system to grow with, the 590 will probably be too limiting (no pre-amp outs or video select, 75W limitation, etc.). I'm satisfied with it, and I'll have to take a close look at the Denon line when time comes to replace my Yam receiver.
post #209 of 5209 Old 07-20-2009, 03:26 PM

How does these new denon receivers compare to harman kardon receivers as far as sound quality? im thinking of buying the denon 590 but im holding off to see if harman kardon is coming out with their new line soon.

Also, I currently have a harman kardon AVR 154, is the 590 a significant upgrade for me? thanks.
post #210 of 5209 Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:

yes, set it to 120Hz and forget it....

for some reason i missed this part out in your faq. it seems that it's currently set up as "Advanced" with some special settings. i don't remember ever touching this option so i assume that it's either default or audyssey set it up as such?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Avr590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page