*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 1610/590 owner's thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello out there everyone! Before posting, I just wanted to say what an awesome resource this particular thread is: after subjecting myself to the bewildering manual and a useless speaker setup when following said manual, its nice that there are some folks out there who can actually put some of this information into plain English.

Here is my query: I just picked up a 1610 and Klispch HD Theater 300 Speaker System towards the beginning of the month and have been enjoying the results very much thus far. I noticed in the cut sheet on the speakers website that the crossover frequency of the small speakers are 150Hz, yet when I run the Auto setup the program reports a crossover of 100Hz for the rear speakers. (The front speakers were detected as 150Hz, btw).

Will this be a problem for potentially damaging the equipment? Or resulting in a less than optimal listening experience? It would seem to me that forcing through a signal lower than what the speaker's are rate may damage them, but I'm not sure if I'm just worrying for no reason.

Please let me know, and thanks again in advance!

(sorry for not posting the tear sheet link up... since I'm a noob the system won't let me. =/)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

batpig, i was reading in the sub thread and saw that you were looking for a musical sub and was wondering what you settled on as i am looking also. based on your experience, if you dont mind me asking.

Mirage Prestige S8..thought I would save him a post.

edit..as a matter of fact, here is his review of it. Don't know if he feels the same about it, as it was quite some time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenny View Post

I've got my PS3 hooked up to my Denon AVR-590 via HDMI, and the 590 is hooked up to my TV (Sharp LC37D43U) via HDMI. I turned the HDMI control stuff on to enable passing video and audio through to the TV when the 590 is in stand-by.

I'm running into a strange situation - if I watch something with 5.1 sound and the 590 is in stand-by, my TV seems to only play the L/R sound with no dialog (as if the center channel is not being passed through). If I watch something in stereo with the 590 in stand-by the TV plays everything normally. If the 590 is turned on, the receiver takes care of the audio and it plays through my 5.1 speaker system.

Am I missing something simple here?

It's a PS3 issue, in which the way it handles the sound channels. There is no fix besides having the AVR on, AFAIK.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Mirage Prestige S8..thought I would save him a post.

It's a PS3 issue, in which the way it handles the sound channels. There is no fix besides having the AVR on, AFAIK.

would the mirage work in a room 20x15 w/cathedral ceilings? hate to ask this in receivers section, just looking to get info from someone w/experience. thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm3801 View Post

It is sometimes very difficult by using manufacturer resources to find out where something is built.

In Denon's case, it's actually quite easy to determine simply by looking at each AVRs rear image on the Denon website in which you will see that the 1610, 1910, 2310, and 3310 are "Made in China" and the 4310 and higher are "Made in Japan."

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I've got my PS3 hooked up to my Denon AVR-590 via HDMI, and the 590 is hooked up to my TV (Sharp LC37D43U) via HDMI. I turned the HDMI control stuff on to enable passing video and audio through to the TV when the 590 is in stand-by.

I'm running into a strange situation - if I watch something with 5.1 sound and the 590 is in stand-by, my TV seems to only play the L/R sound with no dialog (as if the center channel is not being passed through). If I watch something in stereo with the 590 in stand-by the TV plays everything normally. If the 590 is turned on, the receiver takes care of the audio and it plays through my 5.1 speaker system.

Apparently your TV cannot accept a DD 5.1 signal, rather only stereo. Because you have it set to play on the 590, it's not going to automatically downmix to 2.0 stereo just because you're passing it through to the TV. Either you need to uncheck the 5.1 blocks in the PS3 Sound settings when you want to pass audio through to the TV or you could also connect an optical or RCA cable straight to the TV from the PS3 and change Sound settings to either Digital or Analog depending on which cable you decide to use.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 01-24-2010, 12:08 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInsaneOne View Post

Here is my query: I just picked up a 1610 and Klispch HD Theater 300 Speaker System towards the beginning of the month and have been enjoying the results very much thus far. I noticed in the cut sheet on the speakers website that the crossover frequency of the small speakers are 150Hz, yet when I run the Auto setup the program reports a crossover of 100Hz for the rear speakers. (The front speakers were detected as 150Hz, btw).

Simply raise the crossover points for the rear speakers to 150hz as well and you'll be good to go. You won't impact the Audssey settings by doing this.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Check the Tv setting for an audio option.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:39 PM

I have hdmi from PS3 to Receiver and hdmi from receiver to TV.

Source on Receiver is Stereo TV, but I have no sound. What connection should I have from the TV TO the Receiver?

There are RCA outputs on the TV, but no TV inputs on the Receiver.

If I connnect RCA from TV to Receiver and change source to Sat/Cab - I DO get sound.

Am I missing the TV inputs on the Receiver?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:57 PM
585-645-1006

With this model, HDMI carries both a video AND an audio signal so there is no reason to run any cable from the TV to the 590. If you plug the HDMI cable into HDMI1 (DVD) then whenever you select DVD on the remote you should get both audio and video. If you're only getting stereo it means you must go into the PS3 Sounds settings HDMI Manual setup and make sure that all the DD 5.1 and HD audio blocks are checked.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In Denon's case, it's actually quite easy to determine simply by looking at each AVRs rear image on the Denon website in which you will see that the 1610, 1910, 2310, and 3310 are "Made in China" and the 4310 and higher are "Made in Japan."

I'll be darned. I was just visiting the MFG web sites and looking for some info on country of manufacture. DUH! Thanks. Did nto look at the blow up of the rear view of the receiver. Thanks very much. Should have thought of that myself.

Dan M
"If you don;t know where you're going, any road will take you there." G. Harrison.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

No prob, not a big deal. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

With this model, HDMI carries both a video AND an audio signal so there is no reason to run any cable from the TV to the 590.

but in this case he is trying to get audio OUT of the TV, the PS3 mention was irrelevant....

Quote:

There are RCA outputs on the TV, but no TV inputs on the Receiver.

If I connnect RCA from TV to Receiver and change source to Sat/Cab - I DO get sound.

Am I missing the TV inputs on the Receiver?

no, there are no analog inputs labeled "TV", most TV's have an optical output (thus there being an optical input labeled "TV") but you aren't missing anything.... except for the fact that WHO CARES what name it says??? Use whatever name you want that is available, and if it bothers you that it says "Sat/Cbl" instead of "TV" you are free to rename it.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

would the mirage work in a room 20x15 w/cathedral ceilings? hate to ask this in receivers section, just looking to get info from someone w/experience. thanks

no. that room is much too big for an 8" sub at any appreciable volume.

if you will only be listening at moderate volumes it will be OK, but it will struggle at high volumes with that much space to fill, and it will be inadequate for home theater. If you want a "musical" sub that can do well in a large room and also handle some HT stuff, check out the HSU STF-2.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 01-24-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

no. that room is much too big for an 8" sub at any appreciable volume.

if you will only be listening at moderate volumes it will be OK, but it will struggle at high volumes with that much space to fill, and it will be inadequate for home theater. If you want a "musical" sub that can do well in a large room and also handle some HT stuff, check out the HSU STF-2.

thanks batpig, appreciate your input!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:44 PM

Just got a new 1610 and really like it....sorry if this has been mentioned before, but how do I listen to i-pod, cd, turntable while the video for the television is on?

Sometimes just like to have the music going, but also have the game on!!!!

Thanks for your help...

J
Old 01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
585-645-1006

You would need to plug an RCA cable from the audio source into the same labeled RCA jack as you are using for the TV (eg if using the SAT/CBL HDMI jack for TV, then plug the RCA cable (via RCA splitter most likely) into the RCA IN jacks labeled SAT/CBL as well. Then when you want to listen to that source, change the INPUT MODE to Analog. If you want to use an optical cable, you can simply assign the Input Assign (Digital) to either OPT1 or OPT2 and then when you want to listen to that audio change INPUT MODE to Digital.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What 1080p component video device do you have? There aren't many.

Xbox 360
And i know it doesn't scale to 1080P, so that is why i want to know what happens when the input already is 1080P, so there won't be any scaling needed in theory.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:30 AM
585-645-1006

If the input resolution is 1080p going in, then it will be 1080p going out as well. If it's anything less then that, then your 1080p HDTV will upscale it to 1080p.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 AM

Liked: 11
Spent the entire day setting 590 with Boston Acoustics.

I have a very simple setup, audio signal comes from my TV into the optical input, no other devices. The overall impression is pretty positive, but I'm experiencing sound spikes while switching the channels on TV. When I switch TV to another channel I first hear a sound spike, actually a very short chunk of the channel audio, then silence for a second and normal audio after that.

It can be 590, TV or both, I understand that. Also, it's a possibility that this behavior is typical when I switch from the channel with the regular stereo sound to the channel with 5.1 sound.

Did somebody have a similar experience?

So far, great sound, the only issue I noticed was stressed/accented sound in words with "s", "sh", "ch" . When I use TV speakers "s" is normal.

I have another setup in my bedroom with Panasonic plasma TV and Denon S301, small 2.1 system that works great, no "s", no spikes while switching everything - channels, sources etc.

I would appreciate it if somebody could share his/her experience with the 590 and similar setup.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 AM

Anybody else experience any static / crackling and popping with their 1610? It doesn't happen all the time, but every so often when I try and use my PS3 connected via HDMI I get this static / crackling coming from the Denon. Power cycling the PS3, the Denon or a combination of both usually solves this issue. I’m just not sure if this is normal, or if I should be concerned.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No, that is definitely not normal. It could be an HDMI issue, either a bad cable, loose connection, etc. Try switching HDMI inputs on the AVR or even swapping cables. Make sure none of the connections have any tension on them.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginian View Post

Spent the entire day setting 590 with Boston Acoustics.

So far, great sound, the only issue I noticed was stressed/accented sound in words with "s", "sh", "ch" . When I use TV speakers "s" is normal.

have you run Audyssey?

Note that acoustics and speakers can be widely different from room to room, if you are using different speakers and different rooms, the sound qualities will definitely be different! The point of a room EQ system like Audyssey is to correct for these issues and try to align you with a specific "reference".

It is possible, for example, that in your bedroom you may have a lot of "soft surfaces" that absorb high freq's (in addition to the characteristics of the speakers) and you have grown used to this sound, and now hearing different speakers in a more acoustically "live" room you get more treble emphasis. Also -- assuming that you are using those little BA satellites that come packaged with Denon AVR's -- note that tiny little sat speakers can tend to have a little more treble emphasis on their own (due to lack of midrange bass).

Quote:

The overall impression is pretty positive, but I'm experiencing sound spikes while switching the channels on TV. When I switch TV to another channel I first hear a sound spike, actually a very short chunk of the channel audio, then silence for a second and normal audio after that.

are you connected with HDMI? if this symptom is isolated to the cable box, this could be a HDMI issue with the two devices. Try running an optical or analog audio cable instead of the HDMI cable and see if it still happens, just to troubleshoot and try to isolate the issue.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:

no, not at all. While some believe in speaker break-in, others don't, you will not find ANYONE who will ascribe an 8dB difference to break in!!! Advocates of speaker break-in will discuss subtle changes in the character of the sound, but there should never be any absolute volume change, and certainly not of that magnitude.

most likely it is simply a coincidence of whatever program you happened to be watching. Volume levels can vary dramatically among different sources. I am assuming you did not measure this change using a standardized reference, such as a test tone, right?

I realize that each source has different volume levels and perhaps part of it is me getting used to the system. also last week i replaced the speakers wire that came with the Denon DHT 590BA system with 14AWG loud speaker wire from monoprice with banana plugs and then re-ran Audessy. In which I gained about a dB for each channel level. mostly now i'm listening between -30 and -26dB depending on the channel. Live sports was at -18 to -16 yesterday i watched them from -22 to -20dB. difference likely to be the better quality speaker wires.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

have you run Audyssey?

Note that acoustics and speakers can be widely different from room to room, if you are using different speakers and different rooms, the sound qualities will definitely be different! The point of a room EQ system like Audyssey is to correct for these issues and try to align you with a specific "reference".

It is possible, for example, that in your bedroom you may have a lot of "soft surfaces" that absorb high freq's (in addition to the characteristics of the speakers) and you have grown used to this sound, and now hearing different speakers in a more acoustically "live" room you get more treble emphasis. Also -- assuming that you are using those little BA satellites that come packaged with Denon AVR's -- note that tiny little sat speakers can tend to have a little more treble emphasis on their own (due to lack of midrange bass).

are you connected with HDMI? if this symptom is isolated to the cable box, this could be a HDMI issue with the two devices. Try running an optical or analog audio cable instead of the HDMI cable and see if it still happens, just to troubleshoot and try to isolate the issue.

batpig,

Thank you very much for a prompt reply. Yes, I ran Audyssey and you are right about my bedroom, it's much smaller (actually it's a guest bedroom) and definitely has a softer environment. I consider my new acoustic system being a starter kit that can be upgraded later after I gain some experience with the surround sound.

Currently I'm running an optical cable from my TV to the receiver. I'll try to play with the surround sound options (Dynamic EQ etc. and see what happens

By the way, it's being a pleasure visiting your site.

Regards,

Virginian
Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 PM

You know, I was looking at the Sony DN1000, and Onkyo RC160, and Pioneer 919 and the Denon 1610, but with Mr Batpig here to support questions from folks of all knowledge levels, you, sir, may be the deciding factor. Even it it only has 3 HDMI inputs. and the 7.1 pre-outs, while something I do not now need, are a plus. Was steering away from Denon - my kid got a 589 that has been in the shop twice. An anomaly, i guess.

Dan M
"If you don;t know where you're going, any road will take you there." G. Harrison.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 1610 won't accept a spade connector, however, I can't seem to find that document again.

Any truth to this?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

yes, Denon binding posts do not work with spades.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 01-25-2010, 03:48 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by eces View Post

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 1610 won't accept a spade connector, however, I can't seem to find that document again.

Any truth to this?

If you look on p. 12 of the Owner's Manual, you'll note that it shows either using a bare wire connection OR a banana plug and that's it.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Thanks guys. I saw that in the manual but I didn't see an explicit statement that the spade wouldn't work. Maybe I just overlooked it.

I'll just stick w/bare wires.

Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM
585-645-1006

As is typical with Denon manuals, that additional piece of information would have been very helpful for sure. As it turns out, when you unscrew the post, it only goes a short distance before stopping and allows just the bare wire to be inserted into a small opening on the side of the post.

Tags
Denon Avr1610 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr590 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver