Denon AVR-4310CI Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5307 Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im sorry if I sound ignorant but if you could explain this better to me maybe I can figure this out. Do I have to turn HDMI control off on the tv, bd player and Denon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5307 Old 07-05-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe View Post

Im sorry if I sound ignorant but if you could explain this better to me maybe I can figure this out. Do I have to turn HDMI control off on the tv, bd player and Denon.

Turn it off on any and all pieces that have it on.

See if that fixes it for you.
post #273 of 5307 Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

VP question: Does the implementation of the ABT2010 chip in this unit have PReP - Progressive ReProcessing technology?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #274 of 5307 Old 07-06-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Again, no worries. A few folks waiting for the 4810 for discrete 9.1 wanted you to confirm you were only getting discrete 7.1 from the 4310. Thanks for the correction and followup.

I suspect that the limitation is D/A conversion. If the specs are accurate, the 4310CI utilizes four Burr Brown PCM1791A stereo DACs for up to eight channels of simultaneous D/A conversion. That would limit the 4310CI to a max 7.1 channel configuration (i.e. 5.1 channel + surround back OR height OR width) and preclude a 9.1 or 11.1 channel configuration even w/ additional channels of external amplification.

AJ
post #275 of 5307 Old 07-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

VP question: Does the implementation of the ABT2010 chip in this unit have PReP - Progressive ReProcessing technology?

The ABT2010 does have PReP and I would bet Denon just has it turned on and set to auto rather than giving the user the choice whether to have it on, off, auto, etc. like you'd find on Edge or VP50 Pro.

I love the smell of vapor in the morning
post #276 of 5307 Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 AM

Has anyone run a comparison between PLz and DSP using height speakers; and if so, what are your impressions. I (and others I think) are most curious about these new options.
Thanks for any replies.
post #277 of 5307 Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
you mean DSX right? I am also curious to hear what people think, but so far I think joerod is the only 4310CI owner running "height" speakers!!

also, keep in mind that Audyssey recommends that the WIDE speakers are more important than the height speakers and, if possible, those should be the first two speakers you add to your setup (beyond the standard 5.1). Of course, we all have physical constraints in our room that may limit what you do....

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #278 of 5307 Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 PM

I posted this in a seperate thread but am moving it over here to see if anyone saw a similar issue when connecting to network and getting a "Please Wait Connecting"

Just got the 4310 a few days ago.. It had this problem out of the box I think. I remember seeing the link light go on and off, but it then somehow resolved itself.

I did the firmware update all was good even though I had to restart that like 4 times because it would get a connection error.

After the firmware upgrade the system had no problem getting an IP and playing streams..

Now today when you go the Net option it just keeps saying Please Wait Connecting. The network adaptor is stuck in this endless loop of resetting. You can see the link light go out completely, then it comes on sends some packets..waits a bit and then goes out again and the display resets at the same time. Stuck in this cycle.

Is there anyway to resolve this issue? I am on the fence about this AVR as is and not sure if this can be resolved or is a hardware issue?

-----------

Since then I also reset all of the networking gear in the house and same issue.

I am supposed to go pick up a replacement later today after work unless I can reset it somehow but I think because the system keeps resetting.. Dropping GUI and dropping the entire link light and trying again over and over its more likely a hardware issue or a problem cause by firmware upgrade.
post #279 of 5307 Old 07-09-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenthScale View Post

I posted this in a seperate thread but am moving it over here to see if anyone saw a similar issue when connecting to network and getting a "Please Wait Connecting"

Did you see this thread?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=4310

Long Live The Gorn!
post #280 of 5307 Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM

New system is working great.. Wasn't flaky about connecting before the FW upgrade like last one.. Going to upgrade this afternoon.. Forgot to do it last night.

If all goes well after then I am happy again.
post #281 of 5307 Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post

The internet radio works great,there some station that cut out,
most station stay on 12hours plus.Checkout radiodenon.com you can preview stations or add your own.
And I'm running wireless bridge.
I did notice is that when you turn the unit on, it
looks for the network....thats ok but when you select say CD or DVD ect.. The internet station that you were listening to always active,even tho your not using internet radio.I think that's a waste of bandwidth
How do I know this ...I look at the wireless bridge I see its downloading something.

How are you establishing connectivity with a wireless bridge?

I have 2 Replays that I have set up wirelessly, but the AVR-4310CI seems to need to see the mac address of the unit, not of the bridge.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Curt
post #282 of 5307 Old 07-11-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtb3 View Post

How are you establishing connectivity with a wireless bridge?

I have 2 Replays that I have set up wirelessly, but the AVR-4310CI seems to need to see the mac address of the unit, not of the bridge.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Curt

I also have my 4310 connected through a wireless bridge/access point. It is just plug and play. I've tried it with 2 different access points. As soon as the access points are configured to work with my router (encryption / passwords, etc.) the 4310 connects to the network and sees both my media server on the internal network and sees internet radio stations just fine.

Ira
post #283 of 5307 Old 07-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Ira!

I'm using a Linksys WET54G bridge, and I have set it up twice now. DHCP assigns an IP address, the 4310 sees the ip address, and my router sees the 4310; but, no connectivity to the web.

I'm sure that it's something simple and that I'll work it out, but it never hurts to ask for help.

Curt
post #284 of 5307 Old 07-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtb3 View Post

Thanks for the feedback, Ira!

I'm using a Linksys WET54G bridge, and I have set it up twice now. DHCP assigns an IP address, the 4310 sees the ip address, and my router sees the 4310; but, no connectivity to the web.

I'm sure that it's something simple and that I'll work it out, but it never hurts to ask for help.

Curt

Are you having the bridge do DHCP and assign the IP address? If so, reconfigure to have your router as the only DHCP provider and let the router supply the IP address. This is the configuration I have been using.

If that does not work, take a look at any firewalls on the bridge or on your router.

Ira
post #285 of 5307 Old 07-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblumberg View Post

Are you having the bridge do DHCP and assign the IP address? If so, reconfigure to have your router as the only DHCP provider and let the router supply the IP address. This is the configuration I have been using.

If that does not work, take a look at any firewalls on the bridge or on your router.

Ira

Thanks again, Ira, for responding. I have everything set as you indicate, my bridge is communicating with the router, but I can't get the AVR back to the point where I first tried to connect.

When I first tried, prior to writing, the 4310 did respond and indicated that there was a firmware upgrade, and did I want to upgrade. I checked yes and it indicated that it would take 51 minutes to upgrade; fine. But, a minute later, it came back and stated that it could not upgrade because it could not connect to the internet. Since that point, I can't get the unit to respond. "Network Connecting" shows me that I have selected DHCP, the Unit Name, and MAC address, but no IP. I've tried a static ip to match the bridge, I've gone back to DHCP, and I've even reset the microprocessor, but it's had no impact on the network. It appears stuck in whatever status I put it in on my first try.

Everything else works fine. I would hate to return a unit for a fixable situation, but I may have no choice here (ABT). I have until the 24th.

Curt

* I've got it working to the point that I feel confident I will reach the finish line in one piece; haggard, but in one piece. I can bring up the web menu now, so it's fine within my network. I'm still not getting out to Denon, but again, I'm certain that I will.
post #286 of 5307 Old 07-12-2009, 04:54 PM

Thank you again, Ira, for your input and support.

Everything works fine now.

Curt
post #287 of 5307 Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 PM

I know these days no cares about "the radio" and everything is all about the video processing and enhanced surround modes. All important, but I can't fine information about the FM Tuner. I find it odd that Denon doesn't make this information easily available.

Does anyone have this information? I am interested in the mono and stereo sensitivity numbers.

How about real world tests? Has anyone that has this AVR listened to FM and HD radio? If so how is the reception?
post #288 of 5307 Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobal2 View Post

How about real world tests? Has anyone that has this AVR listened to FM and HD radio? If so how is the reception?

How about AM radio? I am one of those Wackos who listen to talk radio
post #289 of 5307 Old 07-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Note that the Denon's video settings are independent BY INPUT so you could configure this as needed depending on the respective capabilities of each of your sources vs. the video processing in the receiver.

Can the noise reduction be set separately per input too?

Will the unit pass through 480i HDMI and/or 480i Component out as 480i HDMI? (Most receivers appear to either reject 480i HDMI, and/or, automaticaly scale 480i component to 480p if going out to the display on HDMI.)
post #290 of 5307 Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Can the noise reduction be set separately per input too?

from reading the manual, it appears so, but an actual owner will have to verify this for you

Quote:

Will the unit pass through 480i HDMI and/or 480i Component out as 480i HDMI?

yes, just turn the "i/p scaler" off but leave "Video Conversion" on. This will pass everything out the HDMI cable without any processing/scaling (other than the A/D conversion of analog video of course). The "conversion" on Denons (i.e. changing video format) is separate from the "scaling" (i.e. resolution change).

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #291 of 5307 Old 07-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

yes, just turn the "i/p scaler" off but leave "Video Conversion" on. This will pass everything out the HDMI cable without any processing/scaling (other than the A/D conversion of analog video of course). The "conversion" on Denons (i.e. changing video format) is separate from the "scaling" (i.e. resolution change).

Is this "per input" too, or global? If the former, then I'm golden.
post #292 of 5307 Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yes, both video conversion and scaling settings are independent per input.

see pg 49 of the 4310CI manual, it details the settings available and this is set in the INPUT SETUP menu so you do it separately per input.

also note (see pg 77) you also have picture adjust settings (i.e. contrast, brightness, etc.) which are stored by input as well.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #293 of 5307 Old 07-17-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

post #294 of 5307 Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doseofrealta View Post

The ABT2010 does have PReP and I would bet Denon just has it turned on and set to auto rather than giving the user the choice whether to have it on, off, auto, etc. like you'd find on Edge or VP50 Pro.

I have asked the same question too, the answers seem to speculate on what Denon has done with the ABT 2010. Consider the fact that while the 3310 and 4310 both have the ABT chip and USB inputs, only the 4310 will decode video via USB. With such selective capability I wonder if PReP was also reserved for higher models.

However, lets not forget that most broadcast sources are interlaced (480i and 1080i) and progressive video input may come from a DVD/Blu ray player. It would still be useful to really know what Denon has done with the ABT 2010.
post #295 of 5307 Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth aviator View Post

only the 4310 will decode video via USB. With such selective capability I wonder if PReP was also reserved for higher models.

FYI, No Denon AVR decodes video via USB.

Long Live WaltChan
post #296 of 5307 Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpaul View Post

FYI, No Denon AVR decodes video via USB.

Page 83 of the 4310 manual gives guidelines for the play back of video through the receiver. However the substantive issue has not been addressed, which is the lack of a definite understanding of what features Denon implemented in the ABT 2010. Some persons have speculated that the presence of the PReP feature on the chip means it is turned on in the Denon receiver. The DVDO Edge and Oppo Blu ray player carry this chip as well. In the case of the Edge, it has been sold for 75% of the lowest price quoted for the 3310 so far. None of the three devices has a colour management system hence there may be other factors which differentiate the products even though all carry the same ABT chip.
Onkyo still hasn't acknowledged the BTB, WTW clipping in their implementation of the Faroudja 33xxxx chips on the 806 and 706, as one example of buyers not knowing until after the purchase of the genuine capabilities of the video processor.
post #297 of 5307 Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:

yes, both video conversion and scaling settings are independent per input.

see pg 49 of the 4310CI manual, it details the settings available and this is set in the INPUT SETUP menu so you do it separately per input.

also note (see pg 77) you also have picture adjust settings (i.e. contrast, brightness, etc.) which are stored by input as well.

Video Convert and i/p Scaler are set per input source.

Video
Video Select
Video Convert ON OFF
i/p Scaler Analog Analog & HDMI OFF
Resolution (analog) Auto 480p/576p 1080i720p 1080p 1080p:24Hz
Resolution (HDMI) Auto 480p/576p 1080i720p 1080p 1080p:24Hz
Progressive Mode AUTO VIDEO 1 VIDEO 2
Aspect Full Normal

However the Picture Adjust settings are system wide. The way I read the doc it says that these settings are only available if one of the listed sources are selected. I did confirm this on my unit. With HD radio selected I do not have the option for video settings under "Audio/Video Adjust" however with a source that does have a video option these settings are available.

PICTURE ADJUST
Contrast
Brightness
Chroma Level
Hue
DNR OFF Low Middle High
Enhancer

Does this help?
post #298 of 5307 Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth aviator View Post

Page 83 of the 4310 manual gives guidelines for the play back of video through the receiver.

Well, fortunately I actually have a 4310...it does not play video from USB...'Video" must be a typo in the manual...

Long Live WaltChan
post #299 of 5307 Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 AM

These sly buggers from Denon have taken the 4308A of their product list, so you can only find it in the discontinued section. But it is still possible to compare these two almost identical units.
Compare them here:
denon.co.uk/site/popup/index.php?p=vergleich_real&Pid=384&vPidN[0]=412
post #300 of 5307 Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobal2 View Post

I know these days no cares about "the radio" and everything is all about the video processing and enhanced surround modes. All important, but I can't fine information about the FM Tuner. I find it odd that Denon doesn't make this information easily available.

Does anyone have this information? I am interested in the mono and stereo sensitivity numbers.

The sound is great, when it works. I'm currently having an issue where HD channels freeze, causing an irritating repetitive noise that will only stop by turning the unit off and on again. I recorded the sound for a Denon Tech to listen to. He said that it sounded much like a VIDEO GAME that locks up and requires a re-boot.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I have reset to factory defaults with no remedy, and I have successfully updated the firmware, as well.

I have until the 24th to return it to Abt.

Curt
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page