Denon AVR-4310CI Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 5307 Old 11-20-2010, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a new 4310ci, and my TV plays my blu-ray stuff fine through the 4310. When I hook up my Tivo to the receiver, I get no audio. After trying the Tivo directly into a TV, it worked great. I believe that either (1) the receiver settings are incorrect or (2) there are still bugs that are affecting me. Comcast and Tivo don't have any solutions, so I thought that I'd try here.

I have changed the settings so that the sound should only go through the TV (I don't have a surround sound system just yet). All sound and video goes over HDMI.

I do have some baluns between the receiver and TV, but the blu-ray plays fine over them. For these reasons, I suspect that it is likely a receiver issue. Any help would be much appreciated!

Just to try something else, I also tried hooking my Comcast HD receiver into the receiver, and I would either get a black screen (no audio) or a screen that says my HDMI connection is not permitted. This leads me to believe that the handshake isn't happening correctly between the TV (LG LH90) and the receiver, although it worked fine with the Bluray player.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 5307 Old 11-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hmmmm...... So, the TiVO was attached to the 4310 using only HDMI and you got no sound? What about video - were you able to get video to the TV via the receiver?

If you got video the audio should have been present..... What does the left side input channel indicator lights display?
post #3153 of 5307 Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I was wondering about the difference between the Subwoofer settings; LFE or LFE+Main .

I have Def Tech BP2004TL's for front L/R which have powered subs and also the Def Tech CLR2500 center with a powered sub (Only connected via speaker wire - no separate LFE RCA cable connected). I use a SVS PB-12+/2 sub and 4 Def Tech BPXs for surounds and backs. Audyssey typically sets my L/R fronts to large and everything else to small with x-over set to 60Hz. I usually manually change the L/R fronts to small and x-over at 40Hz or 60Hz. And the Sub setting is set to LFE. If I understand the sub settings I could leave the fronts set to Large and they would handle their own LFE with the sub setting as LFE or I could send LFE to the Fronts and to the sub if I set it to LFE+Main?

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #3154 of 5307 Old 11-21-2010, 11:23 AM

Aside from completely random audio drop outs, I'm noticing the blue rain spots mostly in dark places within various video source material, usually one that has a bit of video compression applied to it. From 480i to 1080p. I've seen it show up on various shows on Netflix DVD's, TBS, AMC, HBO, Band of Brothers Blu-ray set, The Matrix Trilogy on Blu-ray, Back to the Future on Blu-ray etc. etc. etc.

I have yet to see any sort of blue rain when playing any of my video games on the PS3 via a pure hdmi signal. But I've seen it show up on non-rendered video cut scenes within the game. Does the blue rain have something to do with with the type of compression applied? Tv I'm using is the 58" Panasonic VT-25. Bluray player is the PS3. Cablevision DVR unit.

The second unit I had sent back to Crutchfield was serial number: 0091500937. The new unit I have is producing the same exact results. 3rd Unit so far and similar serial number lineage.
post #3155 of 5307 Old 11-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I was wondering about the difference between the Subwoofer settings; LFE or LFE+Main .
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=999729
post #3156 of 5307 Old 11-21-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnyc View Post
Aside from completely random audio drop outs, I'm noticing the blue rain spots mostly in dark places within various video source material, usually one that has a bit of video compression applied to it. From 480i to 1080p. I've seen it show up on various shows on Netflix DVD's, TBS, AMC, HBO, Band of Brothers Blu-ray set, The Matrix Trilogy on Blu-ray, Back to the Future on Blu-ray etc. etc. etc.

I have yet to see any sort of blue rain when playing any of my video games on the PS3 via a pure hdmi signal. But I've seen it show up on non-rendered video cut scenes within the game. Does the blue rain have something to do with with the type of compression applied? Tv I'm using is the 58" Panasonic VT-25. Bluray player is the PS3. Cablevision DVR unit.

The second unit I had sent back to Crutchfield was serial number: 0091500937. The new unit I have is producing the same exact results. 3rd Unit so far and similar serial number lineage.
Are you using the video scaler in the 4310? What are the settings for the scaler if you are using it? I don't use the scaler, but could turn it on and test for Sat TV viewing and DVD Movies.

HTPCat

post #3157 of 5307 Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glnyc

I think you posted to the wrong forum. Do you own a 4310 or 4311? The problems you describe are definitely issues with the 4311 and AVR-A100 but I've never heard of these issues with the 4310.
post #3158 of 5307 Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:

I If I understand the sub settings I could leave the fronts set to Large and they would handle their own LFE with the sub setting as LFE or I could send LFE to the Fronts and to the sub if I set it to LFE+Main?

The LFE and LFE+Main are "sub" settings as the LFE channel is only directed to the sub. Either only the LFE (0.1) channel is directed to the sub (LFE) or both the LFE channel plus the lower frequencies below the crossover of the mains are directed to the sub (LFE+Main) when mains are set to LARGE. You are confusing the LFE "channel" with the lower frequencies of a full range signal. When you set ALL speakers to SMALL, the "sub" setting of either LFE or LFE+Main becomes irrelevant.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3159 of 5307 Old 11-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

Hmmmm...... So, the TiVO was attached to the 4310 using only HDMI and you got no sound? What about video - were you able to get video to the TV via the receiver?

If you got video the audio should have been present..... What does the left side input channel indicator lights display?

I am new at this. I'll have to check this side input channel display. Right now, I don't have any speakers hooked up to the receiver. I'll be getting those soon. I'm just trying to get the TV to output sound as the sole source of sound (via the HDMI over the baluns).

I tried something different now, and it seems that this is not a receiver problem. I then tried to do this by trying an analog connection to the receiver (still HDMI coming out), and I got the same results. I decided to hook the tivo unit up by going straight to the baluns and bypassing the receiver. I got the same results of no sound on the TV. I think it may now be from having a passive pair of baluns. Although these baluns worked with my bluray player, it may fail to work with the tivo unit. My next try will be a powered pair of baluns. Perhaps the tivo unit doesn't output enough power for the baluns (I'd read that the passive pair of baluns draws from the 5V or so power from the source)?

I just hope that the baluns that I try work well with the receiver. While I would think that the choice of baluns shouldn't affect the receiver, does anyone have a preference for a powered pair of baluns for the 4310ci? How about a HDMI splitter?

Thanks for the reply!
post #3160 of 5307 Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The LFE and LFE+Main are "sub" settings as the LFE channel is only directed to the sub. Either only the LFE (0.1) channel is directed to the sub (LFE) or both the LFE channel plus the lower frequencies below the crossover of the mains are directed to the sub (LFE+Main) when mains are set to LARGE. You are confusing the LFE "channel" with the lower frequencies of a full range signal. When you set ALL speakers to SMALL, the "sub" setting of either LFE or LFE+Main becomes irrelevant.

Your right I was confussing the LFE and lower frequencies . Let's see if I get this, main speakers when set to small have their lower frequencies below a particular x-over sent to the sub (if you have one) and it wouldn't matter what the sub setting is set to (LFE or LFE+Main).

What I think I still don't get is when you have the mains set to Large and sub set to LFE+Main will the lower frequencies be fed to both the sub and the mains? Or is this an either or thing where if it is set to LFE then lower frequencies are handled by mains and with LFE+Main the lower frequencies are handled only by the sub ?

HTPCat

post #3161 of 5307 Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 PM
585-645-1006

Correct on the first point. With speakers set to LARGE and sub set to LFE+MAIN, you get what's known as a "double bass" effect as LARGE speakers still get a full range signal and the sub gets the LFE + the lower frequencies below the LARGE speakers crossover.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #3162 of 5307 Old 11-22-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
when speakers are SMALL the setting is irrelevant

when speakers are LARGE the LFE+MAIN setting will send "double bass" to the subwoofer, so it is playing not only the LFE signal but also the low freq's from the main channels.

the subwoofer ALWAYS plays the LFE track.

or to put it another way, imagine a hypothetical 2.1 system (two speakers + one subwoofer):

LARGE + LFE: the 2 L/R speakers play full range, the sub plays LFE (but no redirected bass)
LARGE + LFE+MAIN: the 2 L/R speakers still play full range, but the sub plays LFE and ALSO plays the "double bass" redirected from the mains

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #3163 of 5307 Old 11-22-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:

I have Def Tech BP2004TL's for front L/R which have powered subs and also the Def Tech CLR2500 center with a powered sub (Only connected via speaker wire - no separate LFE RCA cable connected). I use a SVS PB-12+/2 sub and 4 Def Tech BPXs for surounds and backs. Audyssey typically sets my L/R fronts to large and everything else to small with x-over set to 60Hz. I usually manually change the L/R fronts to small and x-over at 40Hz or 60Hz. And the Sub setting is set to LFE. If I understand the sub settings I could leave the fronts set to Large and they would handle their own LFE with the sub setting as LFE or I could send LFE to the Fronts and to the sub if I set it to LFE+Main?

http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...WmpFWThKZms%3D

post #3164 of 5307 Old 11-24-2010, 06:54 PM

Hi,

Looking for some advice. I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand speakers for a great price. My concern is the speakers are rated at 4 ohm impedence which doesn't match the 4310 specs. I have seen one post that said the receiver ran hot when driving 4 ohm speakers and I don't want to get the speakers if there is going to be a problem or if I would have to purchase additional equipment to use them. Any experience or thoughts with using 4 ohm speakers with a 4310ci that might be helpful? Thanks.
post #3165 of 5307 Old 11-24-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gccdon View Post

Hi,

Looking for some advice. I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand speakers for a great price. My concern is the speakers are rated at 4 ohm impedence which doesn't match the 4310 specs. I have seen one post that said the receiver ran hot when driving 4 ohm speakers and I don't want to get the speakers if there is going to be a problem or if I would have to purchase additional equipment to use them. Any experience or thoughts with using 4 ohm speakers with a 4310ci that might be helpful? Thanks.

FWIW, I've run Denon 3808 with Axiom M80's which are 4ohm rated, and I used the same 3808 to drive Vienna Acoustics Baby Beethoven (not sure what it's rated at). I don't listen to ear bleeding levels, but I had no issues with the 3808. So I imagine 4310 will be just fine.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #3166 of 5307 Old 11-24-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gccdon View Post

Hi,

I use my 4310 with an old pair of KEF 104/2 speakers. These are 4 ohms, but very efficient. I've played movies as loud as -5 db and never had a problem with heat or shutting down. I also leave the 4310 set for 8 ohms so as to avoid limiting current. Based on this, if the Viennas are reasonably efficient and you don't expect to play above the 0 db level and the other speakers in your system don't tax the receiver, then it should work fine.

Ira
post #3167 of 5307 Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
+1 (or is it 3 now?)

M&K S150s Main L / R 4 ohm.... No issues...
post #3168 of 5307 Old 11-26-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:

Give the "network reset" a try. Similar to the microprocessor reset procedure except you hold the and buttons on the front panel while powering up the AVR. The network reset is also known as "deep reset" as it also incorporates the audio/video reset procedure from the microprocessor reset.

Hi,

does the "netwerk reset" delete all personal settings?

The "microprocessor reset" deletes all personal settings!

CU
MoriBori
post #3169 of 5307 Old 11-26-2010, 04:06 AM
585-645-1006

Yes.

post #3170 of 5307 Old 11-26-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:

Yes.

Thank You very much for Your Answer. Are You sure? The Denonsupport told me yesterday that the "netwerk reset" does not delete all personal settings.
post #3171 of 5307 Old 11-26-2010, 04:22 AM
585-645-1006

Give it a try for yourself then ....

post #3172 of 5307 Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 PM

If you guys have an Android phone, you can find the app call "AVR-Remote for Denon/Marantz" which allows you to control your receiver via the phone instead of the web browser. Both your phone and receiver needs to be on the same network. Works well for my 4310!
post #3173 of 5307 Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 PM

I have a 4310ci, I am having a problem with the tv saying no signal when changing the input to my blu ray player and my tivo, when it does this it also locks up the reciever cannot change volume. If I cycle power on avr I get proper audio and video on tv, but if I change the input the same thing, no signal on tv and reciever is locked up again.
I have tried a different hdmi cable to tv, unplugging and recconnecting everything to relearn handshake, changing hdmi output port.
My setup is Vizio VM60P, Denon 4310ci, Tivo HD, and Sony BX570 blu ray. HDMI to reciever and tv.
Thanks in advance for anyones help. I am just trying to determine if I have a defective avr, or it is incompatible with my tv, or I have something setup wrong.
post #3174 of 5307 Old 11-29-2010, 04:08 AM
585-645-1006

Not likely a setting issue, rather simply HDMI handshake with your particular components as TiVo's are notorious for bad connections. There were also some firmware updates for issues with some Sony BDPs so ensure you have the latest firmware installed on the 4310. Try powering on the devices in this order: TV--> 4310 --> HDMI source. Ensure you try all the HDMI jacks on the 4310 for each device connection as well as replacing ALL HDMI cables not just the one connected to the TV. When you did the HDMI Reset (ie unplugged the cables), make sure you do it with the divices still on, then unplug them, then turn them off, then plug them back in and turn them back on again. Finally, if still no joy, you may want to try resetting the microprocessor (p. 111) although this will restore all factory level settings so ensure you back them up via the web Save file function. A work around for the TiVo would be to connect the HDMI directly to the TV with an optical cable from the Tivo to the 4310.

post #3175 of 5307 Old 11-29-2010, 05:12 AM

Does anyone think Denon will be coming out with a new receiver in January 2011?
post #3176 of 5307 Old 11-29-2010, 06:45 AM
585-645-1006

Not likely as the new XX12 AVRs generally won't be released until June starting with the lower level models and ending with the 4312 in Oct.

post #3177 of 5307 Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

So I purchased the network card from pacparts on 11/20/10, it arrived yesterday and today I have installed and am currently updating firmware and wasn't necessary to do a reset so I still have my settings in place .

HTPCat

post #3178 of 5307 Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

So I purchased the network card from pacparts on 11/20/10, it arrived yesterday and today I have installed and am currently updating firmware and wasn't necessary to do a reset so I still have my settings in place .

I just did the same and have a fully functioning receiver again. Has anyone attempted to ask Denon to reimburse for the part?
post #3179 of 5307 Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 AM
585-645-1006

I have posed the question of reimbursement to Jeff Talmadge (Dir of Prod Dev), but so far no response. I will update the thread should I hear something positive.

post #3180 of 5307 Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I too am a long time Denon customer. Before this I had the 4802 and loved it. I'm really surprised at how bad their support has been. My first 4310 died right out of the box and was told I would have to pay shipping back to their facility and would most likely end up with a refurbished unit. I don't have an authorized repair center locally. I was also told it would take weeks to have it repaired. I was told to return it to the store. I did as they said and returned it for another one. This time I made sure to buy the stores replacement plan at great expense to me. I'm glad I did because now I am having problems with the replacement unit.

I refuse to be given a refurbished unit so I am returning it to the store using the replacement plan I purchased. All I have ever owned is Denon. For those that are not returning to Denon what other receivers in this price range have you considered?

Rodney
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page