Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

the 4310 does not have A/B speaker switching for FRONT speakers, the A/B switching is only for SURROUND speakers, so it does not support having an alternate set of main speakers in another room unless you use a Zone output and add an external amp.

The lower level models with standard A/B front speaker posts do allow for an alternate set of "2-channel" speakers hooked up to the "B" speaker posts.

Anyway, this part is all correct:

because you will be running 7 speakers in Main Zone (5.1 + height), you have used up all seven amps and any additional speakers (e.g. multizone) will need to be powered from the Zone 2/3 pre-outs with an additional external amp.

Thanks. that's what I feared. I guess I assumed that since my 7 yr old Yamaha could do run a simple B spkr pair, the 4310 would too.
I do have another amp lying around. Are you saying I could use the Zone 2 preouts to the external amplifier and could send a stereo mix to the other room with the same source while the 7.1 Main set up was playing? Also, until I get a pair of height spkrs, I can program the surr/amp assign outputs to zone 2 as a stereo pair, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post

Thanks. that's what I feared. I guess I assumed that since my 7 yr old Yamaha could do run a simple B spkr pair, the 4310 would too.
I do have another amp lying around. Are you saying I could use the Zone 2 preouts to the external amplifier and could send a stereo mix to the other room with the same source while the 7.1 Main set up was playing? Also, until I get a pair of height spkrs, I can program the surr/amp assign outputs to zone 2 as a stereo pair, correct?

That is correct. The setting according to page 34 of the manual will determine how the surround back channels is used. Default is now currently zone 2, unless you have changed it of course.
post #333 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphrex View Post

Since the 4310 is a 7 channel AVR, you will need to consider these options. First off you will not be able to run a zone 2 or zone 3 setup at the same time as using Front height. The Amp assign/surround back configuration is what will determine this. The surround B channel is always shared with surround A channel, so no main channel use there. To use Front height speakers, well you set the amp assign/surround back to front height and here either forgo the second zone or get a secondary amplifier and hook it up to the zone 2 preouts on the back of the receiver to able to use the receiver as a 7.1 setup and zone 2 at the same time. Or just live without the front height or any other 7.1 configuration and instead run traditional 5.1 and assign the surround back channels as a zone 2 or 3. This is one of the reasons I was considering the 9.3 4810 that is coming out later this year. But other than that, the 4310 is a fine AVR. Hope this helps

Looks like you answered my follow up question to batpig.
Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm sure I'll be back for more once I get this thing up and running. (Whatever happened to plug and play? - I used to think Dolby Pro Logic was complicated).
post #334 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

You are welcome, Denon's manuals are the epitome of mass confusion, do not offer any good info on what that feature really does only merely telling how to select or adjust it and redundant info that will make your head spin. To the average user, they are almost useless if unable to read through the jargon. If you have done so, you might check out batpig's links on Denon receivers. The info there was one of the detemining causes I chose to go with a Denon receiver. Seriously, once you get the handle on your receiver, they are really not hard to use and a joy to use. Plus, it runs very cool, my previous AVR was like a toaster.
post #335 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtb3 View Post

Mike,

What do you know about the Sony STRDA6400ES, and do you have an opinion. I've known nothing but Denon for over 20 years, but this HD Radio issue is troubling. The dealer is willing to extend its Return Policy for me while I try to work this out. The Wireless HD video feed to other rooms caught my eye on the Sony.

Thanks,

Curt

I would avoid Sony receivers. On every review I have seen of Sony units (including top of the line ES models) the 5 and 7 channel power output is terribly low, in some cases less than 50 watts per channel. Given that other brands like Denon and Onkyo can output 100+ watts per channel into 7 channels, there is no excuse for the low output on the Sony units. Based on this, I would be worried about the Sony's ability to drive speakers of moderate to low efficiency at anything close to reference levels in a room larger than a postage stamp.

Ira
post #336 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblumberg View Post

I would avoid Sony receivers. On every review I have seen of Sony units (including top of the line ES models) the 5 and 7 channel power output is terribly low, in some cases less than 50 watts per channel. Given that other brands like Denon and Onkyo can output 100+ watts per channel into 7 channels, there is no excuse for the low output on the Sony units. Based on this, I would be worried about the Sony's ability to drive speakers of moderate to low efficiency at anything close to reference levels in a room larger than a postage stamp.

Ira

Hello Ira and thanks for the feedback, as well as your help with my previous issue.

It has become very clear to me that VERY FEW in this forum care anything about HD radio. With some guidance, I have enlisted two members who are not totally engrossed with RGB and HDMI and a little cattiness, to try and help me (us) resolve this problem.

Today's discovery is that if I play HD Radio channels at a low volume (40'ish), then the problem doesn't present itself. When I turn the volume up into the mid to upper 50's, the issue appears. I'm thinking an issue with compression, but I am honestly not that well versed.

I'm still loyal to, and surrounded by, Denon products.

Sleepless in Foxborough!

Curt

p.s. YES, I can hear Elton John playing from my back deck.
post #337 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike,

What do you know about the Sony STRDA6400ES, and do you have an opinion. I've known nothing but Denon for over 20 years, but this HD Radio issue is troubling. The dealer is willing to extend its Return Policy for me while I try to work this out. The Wireless HD video feed to other rooms caught my eye on the Sony.

Thanks,

Curt

I looked at that wireless setup, Crutchfield has a deal on it right now. I did some searching, and from the few reviews I found, it is not ready for prime time. It worked on some sources, had issues with others. In regards to your HD issues, if the dealer will replace, replace it. I just went through problems with my newly purchased Denon 2500BTCI BD player. Stuff happens, I returned and have a new one sitting in my rack, works like a champ.

In regards to Sony AVRs, I have never had any luck with them, went through two midrange units one year, and I respect my stuff. I still have my Denon 4802 I bought over ten years or so ago, and it is humming along like the day I bought it. Myself, I would avoid Sony for AVR units, but that is just me. But I do like their LCD sets, as I own one. And YES, I am a Denon fanboy.

Mike
post #338 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

I looked at that wireless setup, Crutchfield has a deal on it right now. I did some searching, and from the few reviews I found, it is not ready for prime time. It worked on some sources, had issues with others. In regards to your HD issues, if the dealer will replace, replace it. I just went through problems with my newly purchased Denon 2500BTCI BD player. Stuff happens, I returned and have a new one sitting in my rack, works like a champ.

In regards to Sony AVRs, I have never had any luck with them, went through two midrange units one year, and I respect my stuff. I still have my Denon 4802 I bought over ten years or so ago, and it is humming along like the day I bought it. Myself, I would avoid Sony for AVR units, but that is just me. But I do like their LCD sets, as I own one. And YES, I am a Denon fanboy.

Mike

Mike; I appreciate the feedback. But; I don't believe that many that view this forum care a rat's _ss about HD Radio. I DO, because there is a wonderful smooth jazz channel that we have come to love since we purchased this Denon product.

I AM FIGHTING for Denon to resolve this problem. IF, HD Radio is an unreliable resource, then let it be acknowledged. If there is a problem withHD Radio, as it pertains to Denon's technology, then let that be acknowledged and a fix planned.

TODAY, as I am striving to discover a reason for this problem, I discovered that the volume level plays a vital part. I have played HD Radio all day, greater than 10 hours, without interuption. If I raise the volume level beyond say, 55, then at some point in time, it cuts out and the irritating noise begins.

If this doesn't concern any of you, then I apologize for taking up yourtime, and I will abandon you and return to the AVS Forums where I am known and my input appreciated.

Best of luck with your 4310's, as I will sorrowfully be exchanging my unit for something, hopefully, comparable.
post #339 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike; I appreciate the feedback. But; I don't believe that many that view this forum care a rat's _ss about HD Radio. I DO, because there is a wonderful smooth jazz channel that we have come to love since we purchased this Denon product.

I AM FIGHTING for Denon to resolve this problem. IF, HD Radio is an unreliable resource, then let it be acknowledged. If there is a problem withHD Radio, as it pertains to Denon's technology, then let that be acknowledged and a fix planned.

TODAY, as I am striving to discover a reason for this problem, I discovered that the volume level plays a vital part. I have played HD Radio all day, greater than 10 hours, without interuption. If I raise the volume level beyond say, 55, then at some point in time, it cuts out and the irritating noise begins.

If this doesn't concern any of you, then I apologize for taking up yourtime, and I will abandon you and return to the AVS Forums where I am known and my input appreciated.

Best of luck with your 4310's, as I will sorrowfully be exchanging my unit for something, hopefully, comparable.

Well wait a minute here, it sounds like there is a problem with your kit or ANTENNA. You said the outfit you bought it from would exchange it, so exchange it. It sounds like there is a problem with the HD tuner or the way you are grabbing the signal. And let me ask you this, have you tried other HD stations? Do you have the same issues as you do on your Jazz station? What are you using for an antenna? I have a stand along Sangean HD radio unit on my whole house setup hooked to my VHF/UHF/FM antenna sitting atop a 30' tower, and sometimes the HD radio sucks. Not the Sangean HD unit, but the station broadcasting the signal. I don't know what causes it, but stuff happens. Like ESPN in HD, most of the time it just sucks, but I am not returning my plasma because ESPN uses shoddy technology to broadcast its signal.

So how are you grabbing the HD signal, are you using the plastic antenna that came with your Denon? If you are, I would suggest getting something a bit more effective and at least give it a shot and get your panties out of a wad.

Mike
post #340 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Well wait a minute here, it sounds like there is a problem with your kit or ANTENNA. You said the outfit you bought it from would exchange it, so exchange it. It sounds like there is a problem with the HD tuner or the way you are grabbing the signal. And let me ask you this, have you tried other HD stations? Do you have the same issues as you do on your Jazz station? What are you using for an antenna? I have a stand along Sangean HD radio unit on my whole house setup hooked to my VHF/UHF/FM antenna sitting atop a 30' tower, and sometimes the HD radio sucks. Not the Sangean HD unit, but the station broadcasting the signal. I don't know what causes it, but stuff happens. Like ESPN in HD, most of the time it just sucks, but I am not returning my plasma because ESPN uses shoddy technology to broadcast its signal.

So how are you grabbing the HD signal, are you using the plastic antenna that came with your Denon? If you are, I would suggest getting something a bit more effective and at least give it a shot and get your panties out of a wad.

Mike

Mike, I am using the dipole antenna that came with my 4310. The reception is great, as I am only 20 miles, as the crow flies, from Providence, RI, channels.

TO MY CREDIT, I MUST love Denon products, as I am fighting, with little help from either Denon or this forum, for credibility with this issue. Please read my previous posts on this thread.

As I respond to you, my HD radio has been consistently playing for just under 12 hours, without interuption, at 45. If I venture into a volume level of 55+, then at some point it will cut out and the irritating noise that is customarily associated with "locked up" video games will surface.

AGAIN, aside from the Denon that I lost in a divorce back in 1988, I OWN AND CONTINUE TO UTILIZE A DENON, DRA-625; DCM-555, AVR-3803, and THIS.

I believe that it has something to do with HD compression of signal.

PLEASE; prove me wrong and help me to resolve this problem; ANYONE.

Otherwise, recommend an alternate resource that will resolve this issue.

SONY is out per Ira, and I respect his opinion. Denon has always been good to me. Is the world suddenly rotating in a counter clockwise direction.

p.s. As in my previous posts; ALL traditional FM stations play perfectly, and ALL HD stations exhibit this problem.
post #341 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Mike

I don't have any, but if I did, I would follow your advice. This is my last post on this thread. Thank you to the two members who took my issue seriously, accepted my advice, and confirmed that the problem was not only with my unit.

Feel free now, to go back to your cat-fighting over opinions of product quality, and I will return to the forums where I am known, and my opinion respected.

Happy Motoring!

Curt
post #342 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have any, but if I did, I would follow your advice. This is my last post on this thread. Thank you to the two members who took my issue seriously, accepted my advice, and confirmed that the problem was not only with my unit.

Feel free now, to go back to your cat-fighting over opinions of product quality, and I will return to the forums where I am known, and my opinion respected.

Happy Motoring!

Curt

Well, you should have went over to the HD radio section, where you would have probably gotten more ATTENTION. I would say most here are not using the HD radio function of the AVR.

And are you saying you have no antenna? If that is what you meant to say, I would gather that that is your problem right there, no antenna.

Good night, and take that chip on your shoulder with you.

Mike
post #343 of 5307 Old 07-18-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Well, you should have went over to the HD radio section, where you would have probably gotten more ATTENTION. I would say most here are not using the HD radio function of the AVR.

And are you saying you have no antenna? If that is what you meant to say, I would gather that that is your problem right there, no antenna.

Good night, and take that chip on your shoulder with you.

Mike

I've spent two weeks trying to troubleshoot this problem with my 4310. With the assistance of two members, I was able to confirm that this is indeed a problem beyond my unit alone. Even Denon Tech Support reluctantly confirms this, based upon my diligent investigation.

If you don't care about HD Radio, then that's fine. But, many do, and I am one; and I am trying to be helpful.

Shame on you, as an AVS Special Member, for attempting to trivalize such efforts.
post #344 of 5307 Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've spent two weeks trying to troubleshoot this problem with my 4310. With the assistance of two members, I was able to confirm that this is indeed a problem beyond my unit alone. Even Denon Tech Support reluctantly confirms this, based upon my diligent investigation.

If you don't care about HD Radio, then that's fine. But, many do, and I am one; and I am trying to be helpful.

Shame on you, as an AVS Special Member, for attempting to trivalize such efforts.

This is a joke, right? So what did your "diligent" investigation turn up? And why come off like your not getting help here? When you now state that two members helped you, hell I even tried to help. But with an attitude like yours, I would be hard pressed to give you the time of day.

So fill us in, what is the HD radio problem with the 4310?

Mike
post #345 of 5307 Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:

If you are, I would suggest getting something a bit more effective and at least give it a shot and get your panties out of a wad.

Mike

I have been, over my many years, party to many forums that purport to exist for the benefit of those in need. AND, in the majority of these forums, there seems to always exist one or more individuals who feel that their status and expertise rise above that of the "commoners" who dare to ask stupid questions or waste their time with "trivial" issues.

Your flippant "panties in a wad" comment, in my opinion, exposed you as being a member of that club.

I am certain that you ARE much more knowledgable than most in this category; I truly am; but the manner in which you express yourself is less than gracious, to put it mildly, and thus, set me off in a manner that I strive to avoid.

I am working out my issues with HD radio via Private Mail with the two members who responded to my plight. If anything substantive comes from this exercise, I will share with all.

Curt
post #346 of 5307 Old 07-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:

The sound is great, when it works. I'm currently having an issue where HD channels freeze, causing an irritating repetitive noise that will only stop by turning the unit off and on again. I recorded the sound for a Denon Tech to listen to. He said that it sounded much like a VIDEO GAME that locks up and requires a re-boot.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I have reset to factory defaults with no remedy, and I have successfully updated the firmware, as well.

I have until the 24th to return it to Abt.

Curt

I am 30 miles from Roanoke, VA in the Blue Ridge mountains, and was hoping for some HD radio reception, with an attic antenna for FM and the loop antenna for AM. No joy on either account, although there are 4 theoretical HD FM stations. Regular FM reception is great, AM is non-existent. No help, but some are paying attention.

I find that the Internet provides the station connectivity I need, and that it also works well.
post #347 of 5307 Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemurdock View Post

I am 30 miles from Roanoke, VA in the Blue Ridge mountains, and was hoping for some HD radio reception, with an attic antenna for FM and the loop antenna for AM. No joy on either account, although there are 4 theoretical HD FM stations. Regular FM reception is great, AM is non-existent. No help, but some are paying attention.

I find that the Internet provides the station connectivity I need, and that it also works well.

First of all; wanna swap locations? I dream of retiring in your neck of the woods.

I live in what I call "Radio Free Foxborough" just 3 miles south of the stadium. AM is also non-existent here, halfway between Boston and Providence. So you win, living in a much more idyllic part of the country than I.

For some odd reason, for the past three days I am unable to duplicate the problems that I have been experiencing over the past two weeks. My off-the-grid partners are also not getting this problem anymore, even though Denon swears that they have done nothing over the weekend, and I believe them.

My dealer has extended their Return Policy an additional 30 days in order to help me work this out.

Curt

p.s. without a strong local station close to home, an amplified antenna may just suit your purpose. Feel free to PM me with any other feedback.
post #348 of 5307 Old 07-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Turn it off on any and all pieces that have it on.

See if that fixes it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe View Post

Im sorry if I sound ignorant but if you could explain this better to me maybe I can figure this out. Do I have to turn HDMI control off on the tv, bd player and Denon.

I am also experiencing disappointing HDMI anomalies between my Directv, 4310 and Pioneer 151. I don't expect that Pioneer is going to update firmware for discontinued equipment, so I hope Denon will look at this as time goes by, but it may be HDMI CEC standards, who really knows. I can work around it, but it would be nice if a single remote could actually control an entire information path, from source through process to output. As it is, only volume works, and the Pioneer will take over until the Denon source has been selected several times. Haven't checked the oppo extensively yet.

Regards,
George
post #349 of 5307 Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 AM

I searched and can't find an answer or can't search with the proper terms.

When I use the quick select buttons on the 4310 or on the remote, I get a black gui on the bottom of the screen which shows the information about the quick select I pushed. It is on for a few seconds and then disappears. Anyone know if I can turn that off for the quick selects. I don't get that screen when I use source select.

I tried the manual setup / Gui / text option and turned that off but that didn't work.

Thoughts?
post #350 of 5307 Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I am working out my issues with HD radio via Private Mail with the two members who responded to my plight. If anything substantive comes from this exercise, I will share with all.

Curt

Denon was unable to reproduce the issue that I was having and recommended that I return the unit, which I have done today. I will be receiving another 4310 in its place.

A special thanks to DesertDog and gumbobtr for going the extra mile in helping me to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks also to gemurdock for your feedback.

I'll let you know how the new unit works out.

Curt
post #351 of 5307 Old 07-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Good luck with the new one Curt. I still haven't been able to reproduce it since it happened on Friday. I really think mine was due to the failed update. Ever since I've gotten the update correctly installed it hasn't happened.
post #352 of 5307 Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemurdock View Post

I am also experiencing disappointing HDMI anomalies between my Directv, 4310 and Pioneer 151.

Regards,
George

What Directv model?
post #353 of 5307 Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

What Directv model?

Interested in knowing this as well. I currently use a pre-HDMI Integra receiver, and am thinking of upgrading to the Denon to gain HDMI connections, allowing me to use the ABT video upscalling. If there are handshake issues with this Denon and the DirecTv DVR, no point in upgrading (at least in terms of video performance gain).
post #354 of 5307 Old 07-23-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyboy View Post

Interested in knowing this as well. I currently use a pre-HDMI Integra receiver, and am thinking of upgrading to the Denon to gain HDMI connections, allowing me to use the ABT video upscalling. If there are handshake issues with this Denon and the DirecTv DVR, no point in upgrading (at least in terms of video performance gain).

With your DVR you can always use the component connections and either Toslink or Coax for audio. No degradation in picture quality and either of the audio connections will give you all the sound they will broadcast in our lifetimes. The only problem would be with pay-per-view that does indeed broadcast in 1080p, but can you really tell a big enough difference in picture quality between 1080i and 1080p on a broadcasted signal.
post #355 of 5307 Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 407
I've had no issues at all with the HR20/Denon 4310 combo using HDMI.

I also used it via HDMI CEC with my Samsung LED DLP set, and the Directv remote worked fine to control the volume (of the TV, which then controlled the Denon)...

I did have issues, however, with the pass through of HDMI from the Denon while in standby (it was flaky at best...) The nature of the issues leeds me to think the problem lies with the Samsung implementation of CEC and not Denon...

However, with HDMI CEC turned off, the DTV box has been flawless.
post #356 of 5307 Old 07-23-2009, 11:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

With your DVR you can always use the component connections and either Toslink or Coax for audio. No degradation in picture quality and either of the audio connections will give you all the sound they will broadcast in our lifetimes. The only problem would be with pay-per-view that does indeed broadcast in 1080p, but can you really tell a big enough difference in picture quality between 1080i and 1080p on a broadcasted signal.

Thanks for your response. Here are my thoughts: I currently have a 1080p television, and run HDMI directly to the set, and audio through my Integra receiver. If I understand correctly, all native formats I currently get thru DirecTv or any other source, (480i, 480p, 720i, 720p and 1080i) MUST be converted to 1080p by the television (it's default resolution). My thought was that the Denon's Anchor Bay video processing would be far superior to the processing my television (Mitsubishi DLP) would use, therefore providing a better picture for sources other than 1080p. Maybe I'm completely off track.
Long story short, I'm OK with my current audio set up; just hoping to improve on the video processing.

Sorry in advance for getting a bit off topic on this thread, and as always, thanks for any advice!
post #357 of 5307 Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
your thought process is on track. the 4310CI can upconvert both analog and digital video signals to 1080p (or whatever rez you desire), so try running the video through the receiver and you can see if it looks better than when connected direct to TV.

the suggestion about using component+optical vs HDMI was simply to avoid potential handshake issues, if they should arrive. but it shouldn't make a difference in terms of the video processing of the receiver.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #358 of 5307 Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM

Hi,

I'm having an odd problem with running my PS3 at 1080p from the main menu (aka Crossbar) or any game (that has 1080p content obviously). I am able to get the PS3 to reliably handshake at 1080i or lower. Occasionally the PS3 WILL handshake at 1080p (sometimes immediately, sometimes after period of time, but usually never). Oddly this problem ONLY occurs from either the Crossbar menu or from a game. The PS3 ALWAYS reliably handshakes at 1080p when playing a 1080p BD.

My setup includes the PS3, 4310, and an Epson 6500UB in the HDMI path. I have tried multiple things while troubleshooting including:

-a "complete HDMI reset" per Denon tech support
-various settings on the 4310
-swapping HDMI cables, ports etc.
-swapping PS3
-swapping 6500UB pj

When I bypass the 4310 the PS3 will always and immediately synch with the pj at 1080p.

I have followed all steps suggested by Denon so far with no success. There seems to be be reluctance on Denon's part to take a more active role in resolving this issue.

I seem to notice a number of posts here suggesting HDMI handshake issues but perhaps that is just symptomatic of HDMI in general. I also thought I had seen a few posts from users using a PS3 as a 1080p source but it was unclear as to the configuration.

This is not a show stopper issue for me as I love the 4310 and can always scale the PS3 to 1080p but I would love to get to the bottom of this perplexing issue.

Any suggestions or comments?

Steve
post #359 of 5307 Old 07-23-2009, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamah View Post

Hi,

I'm having an odd problem with running my PS3 at 1080p from the main menu (aka Crossbar) or any game (that has 1080p content obviously). I am able to get the PS3 to reliably handshake at 1080i or lower. Occasionally the PS3 WILL handshake at 1080p (sometimes immediately, sometimes after period of time, but usually never). Oddly this problem ONLY occurs from either the Crossbar menu or from a game. The PS3 ALWAYS reliably handshakes at 1080p when playing a 1080p BD.

My setup includes the PS3, 4310, and an Epson 6500UB in the HDMI path. I have tried multiple things while troubleshooting including:

-a "complete HDMI reset" per Denon tech support
-various settings on the 4310
-swapping HDMI cables, ports etc.
-swapping PS3
-swapping 6500UB pj

When I bypass the 4310 the PS3 will always and immediately synch with the pj at 1080p.

I have followed all steps suggested by Denon so far with no success. There seems to be be reluctance on Denon's part to take a more active role in resolving this issue.

I seem to notice a number of posts here suggesting HDMI handshake issues but perhaps that is just symptomatic of HDMI in general. I also thought I had seen a few posts from users using a PS3 as a 1080p source but it was unclear as to the configuration.

This is not a show stopper issue for me as I love the 4310 and can always scale the PS3 to 1080p but I would love to get to the bottom of this perplexing issue.

Any suggestions or comments?

Steve

I had a similar issue when I first connected my PS3 to a Samsung 52A650 LCD TV via the 4310. BD movies worked fine at 1080P24 but I could not get a sync at 1080P60. 1080P60 worked just fine when connected directly to the TV. Switching the PS3 default display to 1080i was the quick work around but I was not satisfied with that answer. I went through many of the same attempts to resolve this as you did.

Finally, during my search, I found that there was a recent firmware version upgrade for the Samsung. It fixed my problem and I am now using the PS3 with a default display setting of 1080P60. I can only guess that there was some HDMI issue that was resolved with this upgrade.

I can assure you that the PS3 will work with the 4310 at 1080P. You may want to check if there is a firmware upgrade for your Epson.

Good luck.
post #360 of 5307 Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb92649 View Post

I had a similar issue when I first connected my PS3 to a Samsung 52A650 LCD TV via the 4310. BD movies worked fine at 1080P24 but I could not get a sync at 1080P60. 1080P60 worked just fine when connected directly to the TV. Switching the PS3 default display to 1080i was the quick work around but I was not satisfied with that answer. I went through many of the same attempts to resolve this as you did.

Finally, during my search, I found that there was a recent firmware version upgrade for the Samsung. It fixed my problem and I am now using the PS3 with a default display setting of 1080P60. I can only guess that there was some HDMI issue that was resolved with this upgrade.

I can assure you that the PS3 will work with the 4310 at 1080P. You may want to check if there is a firmware upgrade for your Epson.

Good luck.

Thanks. That was suggested by Denon and I do have the latest for the 6500UB (1.09).

I also find it interesting that the PS3 video settings seem to hold for both the main menu and game content but not for BD (and I'm assuming DVD). Meaning that I can set the PS3 for 1080i and it will output that even if the game supposedly supports 1080p but if you put a BD in that supports 1080p the output resolution for the PS3 (that was set 1080i) will switch to 1080p and override the setting.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page