Denon AVR-4310CI Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5301 Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am currently have a Denon 3805, 7.1 speakers with video sourced from DTV HR21, Oppo 971 and HTPC (with SD DVD/ BD DVD & OTA recorded HDTV (720p & 1080i) with all the video sources being fed thru a Denon DVP-602ci. JoeRod I believe you experminted with the Denon DVP-602ci (Realta chip). I was wondering how the ABT video processor in the 4310 compares to the DVP-602? Any thoughts? I am probably going to buy the 4310 since I can get it an an authorized dealer for 30% discount right now and I will eventually get to expermint myself - just wondering if I will need to keep the 602 or if I can just use the built in processor and sell the 602 .

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5301 Old 07-24-2009, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

I am currently have a Denon 3805.

I can not say if it is better or worse, but what i can say is that i am impressed of the quality of upscale chip in 4310, much better than my LG 42LY95 on all sources i have tried.

That is probably the thing that impressed me the most, and makes me kind of happy that i didn't go for the avr-4308(in which is at the same price right now) since i can't say how that one could do a better job at scaling.

I may be a little dissapointed in the power of the reciever though, i feel that not much has happened since the 90's(and recievers) in that area, my old Rotel power amp from the 90's has more power (rb-980bx).
post #363 of 5301 Old 07-24-2009, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just got this receiver a few days ago and need some guidance on the network setup.

I have a Linksys WRT 54GS router that is hooked up to a Comcast cable modem. My home network consists of the 4310 and a couple of home computers. The receiver and computers are wired to the router.
Am able to play songs off my computer using Windows Media Player. But I don't think the receiver is connected properly to the internet. Have not been able to connect to Internet Radio. Nor have I received any update notices for the latest firmware. (Am assuming, of course, that the latest was not already installed on the receiver. Is there a way to check that?)

Am guessing there is some setting I need to make on the router but have not been able to figure it out. Or maybe there is some setting in the Denon menu that I am overlooking.

Would appreciate any help on this.
post #364 of 5301 Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post

Just got this receiver a few days ago and need some guidance on the network setup.

I have a Linksys WRT 54GS router that is hooked up to a Comcast cable modem. My home network consists of the 4310 and a couple of home computers. The receiver and computers are wired to the router.
Am able to play songs off my computer using Windows Media Player. But I don’t think the receiver is connected properly to the internet. Have not been able to connect to Internet Radio. Nor have I received any update notices for the latest firmware. (Am assuming, of course, that the latest was not already installed on the receiver. Is there a way to check that?)

Am guessing there is some setting I need to make on the router but have not been able to figure it out. Or maybe there is some setting in the Denon menu that I am overlooking.

Would appreciate any help on this.

I found this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=985935

The last post solved the problem, it read... "Called Denon; problem solved. He told me to turn off UPnP in the router settings, and that totally solved the problem."

Here is another older post that may be of help... http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...p/t-36297.html

I had to play around with my 4308ci a bit to get it all working, my issues were with my Airport WPA settings, but after a few attempts, all hooked up via wifi and ethernet to my network. All works flawlessly now.

Mike
post #365 of 5301 Old 07-24-2009, 06:41 AM

Being new to making movies, I just ordered a Canon HF20 HD camcorder and a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable. The camcorder supports HDMI out (mini), both built in flash memory and SDHC flash cards and records in the AVCHD format. Will the 4310 play the a/v content from the camcorder when connected to the front HDMI connector? Any issues with the AVCHD format being recognized properly by the Denon AVR? I'm thinking it doesn't make any difference what format the camcorder uses if it's connected and outputs through HDMI but I could be wrong.

What AVR settings for the front HDMI input would be recommended?

I also have a Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu-Ray player which I believe supports AVCHD formats on an SDHC card but would like the ability to play from the camcorder as well for fast review without firing up the BD80 before archiving to a hard drive on my computer.
post #366 of 5301 Old 07-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

I found this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=985935

The last post solved the problem, it read... "Called Denon; problem solved. He told me to turn off UPnP in the router settings, and that totally solved the problem."

Here is another older post that may be of help... http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...p/t-36297.html

I had to play around with my 4308ci a bit to get it all working, my issues were with my Airport WPA settings, but after a few attempts, all hooked up via wifi and ethernet to my network. All works flawlessly now.

Mike

Thanks much for the info and the links. Am headed out the door to work, but will give this a try tonight when I get back home.
post #367 of 5301 Old 07-25-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post

Being new to making movies, I just ordered a Canon HF20 HD camcorder and a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable. The camcorder supports HDMI out (mini), both built in flash memory and SDHC flash cards and records in the AVCHD format. Will the 4310 play the a/v content from the camcorder when connected to the front HDMI connector? Any issues with the AVCHD format being recognized properly by the Denon AVR? I'm thinking it doesn't make any difference what format the camcorder uses if it's connected and outputs through HDMI but I could be wrong.

What AVR settings for the front HDMI input would be recommended?

I also have a Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu-Ray player which I believe supports AVCHD formats on an SDHC card but would like the ability to play from the camcorder as well for fast review without firing up the BD80 before archiving to a hard drive on my computer.

The format in which the camcorder records is not relevant. HDMI output occurs after whatever form of decompression is applied. The Canon camcorder records a stereo audio signal and by default a 1080/60i video signal. You can have the 4310 pass the video straight to the display or upscale it to 1080p. Your best bet is to plug it in and play around with settings until you find some that appear best to you.

Ira
post #368 of 5301 Old 07-25-2009, 04:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 614
If it's 1080i, all it needs to do is deinterlace the signal to get to 1080P.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #369 of 5301 Old 07-25-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblumberg View Post

The format in which the camcorder records is not relevant. HDMI output occurs after whatever form of decompression is applied. The Canon camcorder records a stereo audio signal and by default a 1080/60i video signal. You can have the 4310 pass the video straight to the display or upscale it to 1080p. Your best bet is to plug it in and play around with settings until you find some that appear best to you.

Ira

Thanks. Now all I have to do if I want to edit movies is figure out how to workflow the Canon camcorder AVCHD output to iMovie 09 on my Mac, edit it and then into something that can transcode into an MPEG-2 format that I can play on my Pana BD80 Blu-Ray's SDHC card slot, through the Denon and out to my Pioneer PRO-151 and have it actually play.

Sheesh.
post #370 of 5301 Old 07-25-2009, 06:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
For those of you who don't have a Harmony remote and are using the Denon 4310 remote, there is a Macro feature available (p. 94 Owner's Manual) that will allow you to turn on/off various components at one time as well as make some menu changes with the push of a single Macro program button. You have (3) Macros that will each store up to 32 steps or single commands. Although the 4310 remote is somewhat different than the 2809 remote, the Macro procedure itself is the same as the 2809 System Call procedure. For additional help on using this feature, refer to this 2809 thread link.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #371 of 5301 Old 07-25-2009, 10:47 AM

Anyone try a 4310 with a Sony XBR4 HDTV?

I've heard about the HDMI video dropout problem on the 3808ci when used with an XBR4 (and seen YouTube video of the problem) and was wondering if it had been fixed. Since the problem may very well have been on Sony's end, I'm not sure if Denon would have done anything about it, as it does not seem to affect other Sony HDTV's.
post #372 of 5301 Old 07-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post

Thanks. Now all I have to do if I want to edit movies is figure out how to workflow the Canon camcorder AVCHD output to iMovie 09 on my Mac, edit it and then into something that can transcode into an MPEG-2 format that I can play on my Pana BD80 Blu-Ray's SDHC card slot, through the Denon and out to my Pioneer PRO-151 and have it actually play.

Sheesh.

Or if you have a PS3 or Xbox you could use Rivet to stream it from your Mac. To stream the video files and skip a few steps. The PS3 should be able to handle the AVCHD. It would still need to be transcoded for the Xbox though.

To keep this a bit on topic and not completely a shameless plug (I'm the author of Rivet for full disclosure). The next release will officially support streaming to the 4310 for photos and music. Sadly the 4310 doesn't appear to support streaming video, so there's no way around that one. The current version of Rivet mostly works, but there's a few tweaks being made. It should also work with any of the current generation models and possibly the last generation too. I haven't had any testing done outside of my 4310 yet though.
post #373 of 5301 Old 07-25-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD Paradigm View Post

Anyone try a 4310 with a Sony XBR4 HDTV?

I've heard about the HDMI video dropout problem on the 3808ci when used with an XBR4 (and seen YouTube video of the problem) and was wondering if it had been fixed. Since the problem may very well have been on Sony's end, I'm not sure if Denon would have done anything about it, as it does not seem to affect other Sony HDTV's.

I have the combination you mention and it has been working fine. I have the XBR connected to one HDMI out and my projector on the other. Both work without any problems.

Ira
post #374 of 5301 Old 07-25-2009, 06:25 PM

If I understand correctly, Dyn. Vol. keeps the volume level somewhat even as a TV show goes from program to commercial and back-correct? Does it work the same way if one is changing channels? Will the volume stay consistent from channel to channel?
post #375 of 5301 Old 07-25-2009, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi

Just got hold of 4310 and have done some initial setup via Audsessy but not done much tweaking yet. To me overall is a good upgrade over my previous HDMI 1.1 Yammie 2600, Gui is great and intuitive.

One thing I am trying to achieve is to playback FLAC files from my NAS on Denon. Denon does see the folder on the NAS that contains the FLAC files but no files are detected. The NAS I am using is QNAP and DLink and I am not sure if FLAC files are NAS media server dependent. Anyone here have any experiences using Denon to playback FLAC stored on network. Anyway the FLAC files do play if I play it via a thumb drive USB attached to Denon.

Cheers
post #376 of 5301 Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi

After spending the last 3 hours on this amp, i seems to have a problem playing back DTS MA encoded Blu Rays. The surround mode shown on the denon is sinply DTS Surround and not DTS MA MSTR. I am using Oppo 83 and have selected HDMI bitstream. I have tried playing Band of Brothers and 24 Season 7 and all of them just show DTS Surround on the Denon eventhough Oppo is showing DTS MA on the screen. I am selected HDMI on both video and audio chains.

Anyone has any advice on this issue or encounter this at all.

Thanks
post #377 of 5301 Old 07-26-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexS View Post

Hi

After spending the last 3 hours on this amp, i seems to have a problem playing back DTS MA encoded Blu Rays. The surround mode shown on the denon is sinply DTS Surround and not DTS MA MSTR. I am using Oppo 83 and have selected HDMI bitstream. I have tried playing Band of Brothers and 24 Season 7 and all of them just show DTS Surround on the Denon eventhough Oppo is showing DTS MA on the screen. I am selected HDMI on both video and audio chains.

Anyone has any advice on this issue or encounter this at all.

Thanks

Turn off Secondary Audio on the Oppo.
post #378 of 5301 Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I would say it's likely specific to his DISPLAY, and how its HDMI-CEC implementation works. The 4310 should be functionally identical to the '09 models with HDMI control and standby passhtrough -- it would be pretty weird if they designed it so that it turned off your TV speakers when you were trying to do HDMI pasthrough!

Anyone else having this problem? I just picked up a 4310 over the weekend and got it setup.

Here's the problem I'm seeing:
With HDMI Control on, set to pass audio to TV

Using Sharp Aquos 46d64u:

With 4310 on: Video/Audio are fine.
Turn off 4310: Video/Audio turn off, signal picked up by Aquos--video on, audio comes in for a second and then cuts out.
post #379 of 5301 Old 07-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Is there any where on the web or this forum that gives reviews on Audyssey DSX other than what Joerod has been kind enough to offer?

I'm not finding anything other than the description from Audyssey when I google for info. I'm really interested in either a 4310 or 4810(when available) based on how well DSX works, I am leaning towards the 4810 utilizing both heights and wides and forgoing the surround backs and going with side surrounds only.
The whole concept of the brain recognizing more auditory clues from the front hemisphere vrs. the back hemisphere makes total sense and supports why I really don't notice any difference from 5.1 to 7.1. Maybe it is just me but even when I listen to multi channel music I have difficulty hearing good back left and right seperation( I usually find myself turning my head from side to side to enchance the seperation from back to front).
I'm sure others including Batpig are anxious to read more real world evualations of this promising new technology from Audyssey..

Thx in advance.....
post #380 of 5301 Old 07-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Anyone who can explain how to understand the parameter 0 to -10 regarding Audyssey dsx Wide in Denon 4310?
post #381 of 5301 Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 968
well, looking at the manual (pg 76) there is a "Stage Width" and "Stage Height" parameter that adjust from -10 to 0. One would have to assume that these settings adjust the amount of content being "extracted" from the other channels and directed towards the height or wide channels (respectively), allowing to you tailor the amount of "width" or "height" created by DSX to suit your room and tastes. I imagine it is directly analogous to the "Center Width" parameter with Pro Logic II.

your best bet for a solid answer would be to ask Chris K (aka "audyssey") in the Audyssey master thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #382 of 5301 Old 07-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

your best bet for a solid answer would be to ask Chris K (aka "audyssey") in the Audyssey master thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

Thanks
post #383 of 5301 Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Are the two HDMI outputs mirrored or matrix based. I would bet mirrored, but wanted to ask. Also, can you set different resolutions to either outputl. Example A: 1080p60, B: 1080i?
post #384 of 5301 Old 07-28-2009, 07:43 PM

I'm researching the 4310 and was reading the manual where it say that Zone 2 & 3 do not support digital audio sources (HDMI, optical, coax). I was wondering if the 4310 will accept dual audio inputs for a single source (say HDMI and L/R analog outs) from my Tivo S3 or DVD player, etc and it will select the correct audio input for the zone (HDMI for Zone1 and L/R analog for Zone 2).

Or do I have to route the DVD analog outs to the "CD" or "Tape" analog input for Zone 2 & 3 to use it?
post #385 of 5301 Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yes, your "dual audio input" theory is the way it works -- you "double connect" any device that you wish to have access to for Zone 2/3 with a standard pair of analog RCA cables (in addition to whatever digital audio connection you have). Pretty much any source device will have the analog audio outputs active (the lone exception that I know of is the PS3) at all times, and the Denon will automatically route the analog inputs to Zone 2 without hurting the digital audio perfromance in Main Zone.

Note that the 4310CI will route digital 2.0 PCM delivered via optical/coax to multizone (see the notes on the bottom of pg 86 of the manual), so this double-connection is not necessary for something like a CD player or a digital music player which will only be providing 2.0 PCM via the digital input.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #386 of 5301 Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 PM

[quote=batpig;16905428]yes, your "dual audio input" theory is the way it works -- you "double connect" any device that you wish to have access to for Zone 2/3 with a standard pair of analog RCA cables (in addition to whatever digital audio connection you have). Pretty much any source device will have the analog audio outputs active (the lone exception that I know of is the PS3) at all times, and the Denon will automatically route the analog inputs to Zone 2 without hurting the digital audio perfromance in Main Zone.
QUOTE]

Then can you connect the zone2 preamp outputs via a RCA cable to the audio inputs on a LCDTV? I tried this and it does not work.

I'd like to have my cablebox video come in via component and out via HDMI1,HDMI 2 and component out. I have confirmed that all three work simultaneously. But for audio then I can only pass it out digitally unless I double connect them. The only way I could get it to work is to put the analog inputs to say DVD analog in, assign zone 2 speakers to the amp assign zone and then play the DVD analog source on zone2....downside is that you need zone 2 speakers....other option would require zone 2 outputs to a spearate amp and then to separate speakers.

I would prefer to just pass the signal to the TV and just play over the TV speakers. How can I do this from the 4310?

Also...anyone know if HDMI 1 and 2 outputs are mirrored?

XBL-BoonDoggl
post #387 of 5301 Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I will be running an HDMI cable directly from PS3 to 4310, then out to projector. What setting should I be using for best audio on the PS3 for watching blu-rays? I have a 7.1 setup.
post #388 of 5301 Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

see my FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#ps3

basically just let it do an "auto detect" for HDMI video and audio, set audio output to LPCM, and you are good to go.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #389 of 5301 Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Then can you connect the zone2 preamp outputs via a RCA cable to the audio inputs on a LCDTV? I tried this and it does not work.
I would prefer to just pass the signal to the TV and just play over the TV speakers

the zone 2/3 functions aren't really intended for passing audio to your TV.

if you want to use the TV speakers sometimes, why not just hook the cable box straight to the display with HDMI and then simply run a digital audio cable to the Denon for when you want surround sound?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #390 of 5301 Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

see my FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#ps3

basically just let it do an "auto detect" for HDMI video and audio, set audio output to LPCM, and you are good to go.

Thanks.. that is what I thought.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page