Denon AVR-4310CI Thread - Page 157 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 5307 Old 12-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I presume it was updated when the new NIC card was installed by the factory service center a few weeks ago. Initially, I had multiple issues with the new card which I posted here. Then, overnight, the thing worked perfectly and has ever since. Very fast response. Just wondering what the 'new' update does. After all the BDP updates that usually screw something else up, I have become a bit gunshy about updating equipment that works perfectly for the way I use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 5307 Old 12-03-2011, 04:01 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 1616
I posted the firmware update info in this post when it came out a couple of weeks ago.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4683 of 5307 Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I posted the firmware update info in this post when it came out a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, thanks... That's the update I did at that time; I haven't seen anything new since then, so I suspect this is what the OP just got notified about.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #4684 of 5307 Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I have a 4310 with the old model (golden edge) network card. It does play 48kHz FLACs just fine, but not 96kHz FLACs. It can play part of them but it stops with a "File format error" at some point.
Watching the network traffic it seems like it stops whenever the traffic reaches 3Mbit/sec or so. I'm thinking it's the network card that cannot handle faster data streams.

My question to people who updated their network cards is: Can your receiver play 96kHz FLACs?

Thanks,
F
post #4685 of 5307 Old 12-05-2011, 05:14 AM
585-645-1006

^^
AFAIK, 96khz FLAC capability wasn't added until the XX11 models.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #4686 of 5307 Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 AM

That is correct, it is not supported officially.
But I remember reading somewhere in this thread a member mentioning about his/her 4310 actually playing 96kHz FLACs.
Mine is able to play them partially; after reading posts mentioning that the new network card appears to be faster, I am hoping that it would make a difference here.
F
post #4687 of 5307 Old 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine plays 96 kHz FLACs from an external hard drive or USB flash drive. Haven't tried them from a data CD or over the Internet.

post #4688 of 5307 Old 12-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Thank you for the info, it's encouraging. Just to confirm, do you have the new model network card installed?
I'm playing FLACs from a NAS that runs a media server as well; I also tried playing from a USB drive and got the same behavior. In a way it makes sense, as both Ethernert and USB interfaces are on the network card.
Thanks again,
F.
post #4689 of 5307 Old 12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I do have the new network card.

post #4690 of 5307 Old 12-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Anyone have issues updating from Australia? The "Ether IMG" update keeps getting ConnectionFailA4 message

Update: Solved by performing a network reset (powering up while holding Up & Down button) then keep retrying the update. Must be the settings gone corrupted somehow causing the update to fail..
Wish Denon would support USB upgrade..

Now the receiver won't load my previous settings.. Have to redo everything.. argh
post #4691 of 5307 Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 AM

I have had my 4310 set so I don't receive notification about firmware updates so I decided to do a manual check myself. When I clicked on Update Firmware", I was unable to proceed any further. I then checked the network information and found that there was no IP address listed. Am I correct to assume that my network card has more than likely died? I probably did my last update about 6 months ago without any problems. After sifting through about 40 pages of this thread without seeing my issue noted, I just may have overlooked it in the process. Thanks for the help.

ez
post #4692 of 5307 Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 AM

Bought my 4310 when they first came out... Followed this thread and learned of the NIC issue... So, to be ready just in case, I ordered a new NIC from PAC Parts... Three months on back-order, then it came in February... Put it where I was sure I could find it...

Two weeks ago, my NIC finally fails... No problem, I'll just install the new NIC I had put away... Spent the entire weekend looking in every nook and cranny I could think of... Knew just what that box looked like... After hours of fruitless search, I ordered a new one... Installed it... 4310 working great again... Today, I'm rooting in the back of a desk drawer, under some bags of cable ties, and what do I find ??? The NIC, but in its static bag, not the large box I was sure it was in... So, if anyone wants to buy a NIC for their 4310, PM me... I sure don't need two... And it is the new one with green on the edges...
post #4693 of 5307 Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
If when trying to go through the NIC setup and you get stuck on a status of "network connecting" then likely your card has failed.....
post #4694 of 5307 Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

If when trying to go through the NIC setup and you get stuck on a status of "network connecting" then likely your card has failed.....

When I click on Firmware Update in the Options screen, nothing happens. I get none of the usual informational blurbs that I usually see after clicking on Update. I get no "Network Connecting" messages either. Essentially, it's like clicking on a dead-end button.
post #4695 of 5307 Old 12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdriver View Post

I have had my 4310 set so I don't receive notification about firmware updates so I decided to do a manual check myself. When I clicked on Update Firmware", I was unable to proceed any further. I then checked the network information and found that there was no IP address listed. Am I correct to assume that my network card has more than likely died? I probably did my last update about 6 months ago without any problems. After sifting through about 40 pages of this thread without seeing my issue noted, I just may have overlooked it in the process. Thanks for the help.

ez

Try this before concluding your hardware has failed:

I had my network card replaced six months ago. No problem since then. I did have one occasion when there was suddenly no IP address, so I did Tech Support Tip #1: Recycle your internet connection. If you have a cable modem, unplug it for a full minute. Also turn off the 4310. Unplug your router, too, if you have a separate router unit. Then plug in the cable modem and wait until all the lights go on. Then plug in the router if you have one and wait until it's up and running. Then turn on the 4310 and see if you are back online.

post #4696 of 5307 Old 12-12-2011, 04:06 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdriver View Post

When I click on Firmware Update in the Options screen, nothing happens. I get none of the usual informational blurbs that I usually see after clicking on Update. I get no "Network Connecting" messages either. Essentially, it's like clicking on a dead-end button.

You might also want to try doing a "network reset" (ie. press/hold the UP/DOWN arrow buttons under the front panel flap while powering on the AVR).

post #4697 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I have read the spec sheet is reference to the Denon Link. It states something about it being able to be used with Denon BD players for BD audio. I have never used the Denon Link before, I know it is a way to do hi-rez audio transmission. Can someone explain how the Denon link works? Can you just plug the Denon link cable in from your Denon BD player and that is all for audio? Like could I just have the Denon link for audio and then hook the HDMI directly into my display for video?

That would be nice IMO if it worked that way. I would prefer a separate Audio cable and just use HDMI for video.
post #4698 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
your understanding is correct. It's a proprietary, alternate method for hi-rez audio transmission. The (only) downside is that it requires you to pair it with a very expensive Denon BDP for blu-ray.

If you are only going to use it for hi-rez multich stuff (SACD, DVD-A, etc) and not Blu-rays, you can get an older DenonLink 3 player for cheap used and use a different player for Blu-ray.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4699 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGatorDelt View Post

Bought my 4310 when they first came out... Followed this thread and learned of the NIC issue... So, to be ready just in case, I ordered a new NIC from PAC Parts... Three months on back-order, then it came in February... Put it where I was sure I could find it...

Two weeks ago, my NIC finally fails... No problem, I'll just install the new NIC I had put away... Spent the entire weekend looking in every nook and cranny I could think of... Knew just what that box looked like... After hours of fruitless search, I ordered a new one... Installed it... 4310 working great again... Today, I'm rooting in the back of a desk drawer, under some bags of cable ties, and what do I find ??? The NIC, but in its static bag, not the large box I was sure it was in... So, if anyone wants to buy a NIC for their 4310, PM me... I sure don't need two... And it is the new one with green on the edges...

Yeah, I might be interested in the NIC card if the price is right! My card is still working, but might get the newer one if it will do 24/96 bit FLAC as the old card won't pass that resolution and someone said the new one will.

Don
post #4700 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

your understanding is correct. It's a proprietary, alternate method for hi-rez audio transmission. The (only) downside is that it requires you to pair it with a very expensive Denon BDP for blu-ray.

If you are only going to use it for hi-rez multich stuff (SACD, DVD-A, etc) and not Blu-rays, you can get an older DenonLink 3 player for cheap used and use a different player for Blu-ray.

I already have a (very expensive) Denon BD player with Denon link. I use the player in a 2ch hi-fi A/V setup via analog output. I could always move it into the HT if I were to purchase a Denon AVR with Denon link 4. So the AVR must have Denon Link 4 to handle BD audio and it does not rely on the HDMI being routed through the receiver? Is that correct?

That would be great as HDMI audio has been a headache to me. One less device in the HDMI chain would be a good thing IMO.
post #4701 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

Can you just plug the Denon link cable in from your Denon BD player and that is all for audio? Like could I just have the Denon link for audio and then hook the HDMI directly into my display for video?

That would be nice IMO if it worked that way. I would prefer a separate Audio cable and just use HDMI for video.

Why not run audio and video into your AVR via DenonLink, and then connect the TV to the AVR via HDMI? You can set up the 4310 to pass through the video signal to your monitor without any processing if you like.

I have DenonLink3 to connect my Denon 3910 universal player to the 4310 for audio, and I can play DVDs on it if I like. All of my video sources are run through the 4310 with a single HDMI cable taking the video signal to the monitor. Works beautifully.

post #4702 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^
TommyV, I see from your other posts you are leery of Denon AVRs because they're not so user friendly for setup. Never fear, batpig is here. His guide to Denon and the help available on the threads will get you set up in no time. I highly recommend you forego Pio and Yammie and go for a Denon. The superior Audyssey DSP room correction for all audio and the benefits of DenonLink on music will be well worth it for you.

It is correct that to handle BluRay by DenonLink both player and processor must be DL4. And it's true that DL4 uses both the HDMI + the special DL cable. But note that any DL4 player or processor can be set to DL3 in the menu and DL3 uses just the DL cable. The HDMI can then be routed however you like. I have significant SQ improvements with RBCD, DVDA and SACD using DL3 alone vs DL off and vs an OppoBDP83SE. I have DL4 in my AVR A100 (4311) and in my DBP A100 (DBP4010). Try as I may, I see/hear absolutely no benefit at all from DL4. BluRay bitstreamed or PCM and DVD are superb without DL4. I'm not sure how they could be improved. I specifically got a DL player for better music SQ and I'm very pleased with it.

If you're posting in this thread because you'd consider the 4310, the price on these units is often well under $800, and has at times been under $600. It has been driven crazy low by the newer, formidably-featured 4311, available for about $1.5K. But you get what you pay for, as the 4310 has the NIC issue and it has only Audyssey MultEQXT, not the significantly improved Audyssey MultEQXT32 in the 4311.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #4703 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
DenonLink does not require any special cable. Regular cheap CAT5 Ethernet cable is all you need.

post #4704 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have had my 4310 for almost a year now with the old card in it . I only connected an ethernet cable to it once to make sure it worked when I first got it and since then I never use the network capability or have an ethernet cable connected to it. My question is if I never use the network card on the 4310 do I still have to worry about the card failing and causing other issues?

I have also thought I've read something about an issue with th HD radio and I think someone termed it "motor boat" because the audio will stutter. I think I have this issue and was wondering what it takes to fix it.
post #4705 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 07:48 PM

My understanding and experience is yes. The card, while commonly called a NIC, is not like a computer NIC card with only networking functionality. It also apparently provides other functions. When mine failed, I would describe the other issues as a nuisance - occasionally dropped video and stumbles in the hdmi handshaking etc. It was not major, and it was the loss of networking that drove me to replace it. (I really like being able to control my unit using my ipad and iphone -it's cool.) I would not have done it for the other sporadic issues. They stopped when I replaced the card and my receiver has been trouble free for 9 months now. My unit is a 4310, but in combing these boards, I did not see much difference in owner experiences. I think the model numbers of the cards are different, so watch that if you order one.

I don't think there are any hard numbers on the likelihood of failure, but occasional card supply shortages suggest its not insignificant. My order took three months to fill. Replacement was easy and I put some pics on the 4310 board if you want to see what it looks like inside.
post #4706 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

^^^
DenonLink does not require any special cable. Regular cheap CAT5 Ethernet cable is all you need.

Good to know. I use the inexpensive-looking cable supplied with my player labelled DenonLink. It's special to me.

But I simply use "special" to highlight and distinguish this cable and its function from all other cables which may be used to connect the AVR and player.

Now someday, someday I may have to own this very special DL cable.

post #4707 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

I have had my 4310 for almost a year now with the old card in it . I only connected an ethernet cable to it once to make sure it worked when I first got it and since then I never use the network capability or have an ethernet cable connected to it. My question is if I never use the network card on the 4310 do I still have to worry about the card failing and causing other issues?

I have also thought I've read something about an issue with th HD radio and I think someone termed it "motor boat" because the audio will stutter. I think I have this issue and was wondering what it takes to fix it.

Redbeemer's post from 10-5-11 on this thread may help shed some light on the HD radio "motorboat" problem.I tried 2 different 4310's from BB BOTH units had the HD radio issue...still using the 2nd unit
and have so far just lived with the problem.Does your unit "motorboat" when you first switch to the HD radio source(or power up with that source already selected)? If so I might be able to share with you a "workaround" that may help you minimize the problem...I should break down and take my unit in for service but keep procrastinating. Redeemer referred to a replacement HD radio tuner module.
I see this and a new NIC card(eventually)
in my future....
(knock on wood my NIC has not failed yet)
post #4708 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
P.S Redbeemer on 10-11-11 posted another reply to my issues with the "motorboat" HD radio problem and also talks about his NIC experience...hope this helps...
post #4709 of 5307 Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

It is correct that to handle BluRay by DenonLink both player and processor must be DL4. And it's true that DL4 uses both the HDMI + the special DL cable. But note that any DL4 player or processor can be set to DL3 in the menu and DL3 uses just the DL cable. The HDMI can then be routed however you like. I have significant SQ improvements with RBCD, DVDA and SACD using DL3 alone vs DL off and vs an OppoBDP83SE. I have DL4 in my AVR A100 (4311) and in my DBP A100 (DBP4010). Try as I may, I see/hear absolutely no benefit at all from DL4. BluRay bitstreamed or PCM and DVD are superb without DL4. I'm not sure how they could be improved. I specifically got a DL player for better music SQ and I'm very pleased with it.

If you're posting in this thread because you'd consider the 4310, the price on these units is often well under $800, and has at times been under $600. It has been driven crazy low by the newer, formidably-featured 4311, available for about $1.5K. But you get what you pay for, as the 4310 has the NIC issue and it has only Audyssey MultEQXT, not the significantly improved Audyssey MultEQXT32 in the 4311.

Yes I am considering the 4310 as well as a few other AVRs. So you are saying what I was concerned about, that you are required to connect both the DL4 and HDMI to the AVR for BD audio. I was hoping I could skip hooking HDMI to the AVR all together and only have DL4 for audio.
post #4710 of 5307 Old 12-16-2011, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

^Correct, to get DL4 BluRay audio, yes both cables are connected directly to the AVR.

But why do you want to run HDMI directly from player to the display? As pbarach mentioned, the Denon will pass thru the video, plus it makes switching easier.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page