post #451 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan711 View Post

The manual is not that great. I understand it but sometimes I had to re-read a section a couple of times.

welcome to Denon, that is the truth

Quote:

Not Denon specific, but when are receiver manufacturers going to space the speaker terminals further apart? Everytime I purchase a new one I end up cussing it for 30 minutes while connecting speaker wire.

there's not a lot of real estate on the back panel of a multichannel receiver -- invest in banana plugs that is a life saver if you swap units fairly regularly.

Quote:

So far I don't care much for Dynamic EQ. With it engaged there is a bloated bass sound filling the front of the room. Perhaps more tweaking is neccessary.

first off, Dynamic EQ just sounds really weird when you first use it, so you may just want to give it some time.

second, what source did you notice the "bloat"? the best way to test if you like the effect is with a good movie on DVD or Blu-Ray, since you know that is mixed at the precise reference levels which Dynamic EQ is designed for.

If you experience "bass bloat" with Dynamic EQ on other sources, especially cable TV, you can tame down the aggressiveness of the "boost" by setting the "Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset". This is set in the "Audio Adjust" menu under "Audyssey Settings" (see pg 75 of the manual).

I have a fuller explanation on my website (in the Audyssey section of the FAQ) but the short and skinny is, the way Dynamic EQ works is by assuming that "0" on the volume dial is "reference level" and then, when the volume drops below "0", it adjusts the tonal balance to compensate for the loss of bass and surround impression which occurs at lower volumes. By setting the reference level offset to, for example, 10dB, you will essentially "trick" Dynamic EQ into trying to maintain a reference that is 10dB softer, so the boost to the bass and surrounds will be less aggressive. Instead of the volume being at, say, "-30dB", you will now be at "-20dB" for the same amount of "loudness", so Dynamic EQ won't act as aggressively because you are closer to "0" on the volume dial.

Good quality movies should sound perfect without the offset; with your cable box you will probably want to play with a -10 or -15 setting. You may also need that with music, as a lot of music is recording "hot" and without a lot of dynamic range and can sound very bloaty with Dynamic EQ.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenthScale View Post

When I did my last update it popped speakers.. I am wondering if it had to do with where the volume was set before that? I am thinking I will turn it all the way down before updating this time.

I had the same popping issue on the first update. On the latest update I lowered the volume to -60 but still have the popping. Sometimes I also get the popping when using Dyn Volume and change sources. Is this a wide spread issue?
post #453 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM

I have B&W 805's for my left and right fronts along with the HT4MS Center Speaker, in wall B&W Surrond speakers (CWM650) and a Velodyne SUB. Will the 5308CI pair nicely with this combo? Thanks!!!
post #454 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton3485 View Post

I have B&W 805's for my left and right fronts along with the HT4MS Center Speaker, in wall B&W Surrond speakers (CWM650) and a Velodyne SUB. Will the 5308CI pair nicely with this combo? Thanks!!!

You would be better of asking your question here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=864762
post #455 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderr View Post

You would be better of asking your question here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=864762

Thanks, I noticed that after I posted the question.
post #456 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Unable to get zone 2 playing while the main zone is off. The manual said to turn zone 2 on and then hit the main button & off button on the remote to turn off main zone. This does not work. Both zones will play at the same time, but that's not what I need. My last 2 receivers, 5 & 3 years old respectively were able to accomplish this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan
post #457 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
1) Ext In:
i have my dvd pioneer lx50 connected with digital and muti analogue for sacd.
when i switch the input mode to ext. in,i only can get sound from left and right.
Why aren't the others speakers working?
I tested with sacd that play well with my old pioneer ax5i.

2) how can i set the default source when power on?

3) Why the denon switch automaticaly to other source, for example,when i stop the dvd? Changes to dvr. (This one is driving me crazy)

Kocl
post #458 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

when you are in "EXT IN" mode the sound is passed straight through to the amps, there is no processing, bass management, etc. all of that stuff (speaker sizes, bass management, delays) will have to be input in the player.

basically, whatever comes IN on a particular channel is what goes OUT on that channel. So if you are only hearing sound from TWO speakers, then that means you are only outputting TWO CHANNEL sound from your player. are you SURE you have properly selected the multichannel track on your SACD?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #459 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

when you are in "EXT IN" mode the sound is passed straight through to the amps, there is no processing, bass management, etc. all of that stuff (speaker sizes, bass management, delays) will have to be input in the player.

basically, whatever comes IN on a particular channel is what goes OUT on that channel. So if you are only hearing sound from TWO speakers, then that means you are only outputting TWO CHANNEL sound from your player. are you SURE you have properly selected the multichannel track on your SACD?

Yes,it has a front button that allow me to select between sacd multi, sacd 2ch and cd.
Just tested with another sacd player and the problem remains.
The denon display all the colums on right side of display.

Kocl
post #460 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

like I said, the Denon can't do ANY processing at all with EXT IN, it has no ability to (for example) matrix 2ch > 5.1ch with PLII or something.

It will show all speaker icons "lit" on the right because it is a multich analog input. It doesn't "know" that there is no sound....

again, the problem HAS TO BE with the player! When using the EXT IN mode with the multich analog inputs, the Denon is literally unable to do anything with that sound (it passes straight through to the amps) so what you hear is what you are getting.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #461 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:

like I said, the Denon can't do ANY processing at all with EXT IN, it has no ability to (for example) matrix 2ch > 5.1ch with PLII or something.

It will show all speaker icons "lit" on the right because it is a multich analog input. It doesn't "know" that there is no sound....

again, the problem HAS TO BE with the player! When using the EXT IN mode with the multich analog inputs, the Denon is literally unable to do anything with that sound (it passes straight through to the amps) so what you hear is what you are getting.

Yes,
you were the problem was on the player.
It had an disable option that allows to choose what kind of speakers are connected,but only when i disable hdmi sound stays enable.
Problem solved .

Could you help me on more two.
2)how can i set the default source when power on?

3) Why the denon switch automaticaly to other source, for example,when i stop the dvd? Changes to automaticaly to tv. (This one is driving me crazy)
I think it must be something with hdmi control.

Kocl
post #462 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think you can't set the default power on source; the second issue (automatically switching to "TV" input) is caused by HDMI-CEC functionality in your television. Turn off any HDMI-CEC features in the TV.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #463 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I don't think you can't set the default power on source; the second issue (automatically switching to "TV" input) is caused by HDMI-CEC functionality in your television. Turn off any HDMI-CEC features in the TV.

I don't think you can set a default power on source either.
What you can do is turn the 4310 on by selecting the input you want, say SAT, from the remote. This turns the 4310 on and puts it to that selected source. I haven't noticed this feature with previous Denon units.

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #464 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 07:18 PM

ok, one angry dude speaking here. I've owned many receivers and none have made my blood boil like this one. I can't get anything to play through zone 2.
I have amp assign=zone 2. I have connected red/white cables from my Oppo 983h dvd player and my dish network dvr to the 4310. I hit the zone 2 button on the front panel of the 4310-it says zone 2 on-I don't get any sound from my speakers on my patio. I have used the zone 2 feature on my last 3 receivers. Please tell me this state-of-the-art, MSRP $2000 receiver will allow zone 2 playback through my dvd player and sat/box. If the store I purchased from hadn't closed at 9pm, I may have boxed it up and returned it.

Taking a deep breath now.

Can anyone shed some light on my situation?
post #465 of 5307 Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan711 View Post

ok, one angry dude speaking here. I've owned many receivers and none have made my blood boil like this one. I can't get anything to play through zone 2.
I have amp assign=zone 2. I have connected red/white cables from my Oppo 983h dvd player and my dish network dvr to the 4310. I hit the zone 2 button on the front panel of the 4310-it says zone 2 on-I don't get any sound from my speakers on my patio. I have used the zone 2 feature on my last 3 receivers. Please tell me this state-of-the-art, MSRP $2000 receiver will allow zone 2 playback through my dvd player and sat/box. If the store I purchased from hadn't closed at 9pm, I may have boxed it up and returned it.

Taking a deep breath now.

Can anyone shed some light on my situation?

Which speaker output terminals are you using?

StayThristyMyFriends
post #466 of 5307 Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

I don't think you can set a default power on source either.
What you can do is turn the 4310 on by selecting the input you want, say SAT, from the remote. This turns the 4310 on and puts it to that selected source. I haven't noticed this feature with previous Denon units.

dc

I Will try that.

Kocl
post #467 of 5307 Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:

I can't turn off HDMI-CEC from Tv because if i do this, my pioneer hd-converter (pdav100hd) don't work as expected, unless i can find the power on and power off codes for pdav100hd.

Kocl
post #468 of 5307 Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Greetings!
I'm new to AVS. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Denon 4310 sounds the same as the Denon 3808. A British magazine recently gave the Sony STRDA5400ES top marks over the Pioneer SC07, Yamaha 3900, Rotel 1550, and Marantz 8002!!! People on British forums are agreeing with this opinion. Unlike in Britain, the Sony is hundreds of dollars less than the other models mentioned. Three American magazines also like the Sony!
I have two young children and another on the way. I only had the time to visit a hifi shop months ago and heard an A/B between the Pioneer SC07 and the Denon 3808. The Pioneer was warm and dynamic but the Denon was a detail king! Has anyone here heard the Sony?
I've read the threads regarding the Denon 4310 and have enjoyed them a lot. Great posts batpig! BTW, nobody in any forum has mentioned... although the 4310 is a direct replacement for the 3808 power wise, the lighter weight of the 4310 is due to new technology...according to Denon Canada. And, I have a comparison list between the new Denon models if anyone is interested in seeing them. The Denon 4310 has one AL24 chip for each and every 7 channels...go detail go!!!
Thanks!
post #469 of 5307 Old 08-07-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexS View Post

One thing I am trying to achieve is to playback FLAC files from my NAS on Denon. Denon does see the folder on the NAS that contains the FLAC files but no files are detected. The NAS I am using is QNAP and DLink and I am not sure if FLAC files are NAS media server dependent. Anyone here have any experiences using Denon to playback FLAC stored on network. Anyway the FLAC files do play if I play it via a thumb drive USB attached to Denon.

Cheers

Hi. Am planning to get a 4310 as well. The network playback thingy is important to me, as I hope to do away with squeezebox and my htpc (which I'm using mainly as a music server). Would appreciate if you could let me know if you've managed to overcome this problem.

I have a similar setup as yours. Currently using a QNAP TS-409 NAS, Denon 2807 and Netgear router.

Would appreciate any input from anyone. THanks in advance.
post #470 of 5307 Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 PM

I'm in! Just took my 4310 out of the box and before anything else sat it on my desk and connected it to my monitor via HDMI as well as with an ethernet connection. No speakers or any other components. I went straight to the NET/USB input and the unit instantly authenticated itself with my router and established an internet connection. Great!

By default, it automatically found a new firmware update and asked if I wanted to proceed. It stated it would take 26 minutes. I selected proceed and in 26 minutes it was done! I was a little leary doing this right out of the gate since I had read how some earlier users experienced a deadlock at 29 minutes of a 51 minute download but I thought I might as well do it now in case I have to send the darn thing back while it's under the return grace period. Needless to say it finished without a hitch.

Since this went so smooth, I'm confident enough to pull my Yamaha RX-V2700 out of my home theatre and fully install the 4310. It will be an all day job because I have a new stand with a centre speaker shelf, Oppo BDP-83, HD Satellite, PF60 power conditioner and a 46" Panasonic G10, JBL studio series 5.1 speakers (L8400p Sub) + a Wii.

One thing I noticed is that the unit doesn't get as a hot as my older Yamaha while it's simply powered on and the GUI overlay is slick, smooth and switches fast! Looking forward to hearing it!

Since I'm always looking for ANY kind of pic when I try to research things in real world settings, here's a few for those that may be interested when it was on my desk after the firmware update. I can take better pics if anyone wants after the main installation.

So far very happy with the purchase.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #471 of 5307 Old 08-08-2009, 08:10 AM

How do you tune in the HD station? example 96.3-2 etc......
post #472 of 5307 Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 AM

Is there anyone who experience problems with ipod connected directly with usb?

My iPod Classic 160GB(generation 5) is loosing contact with the Denon(avr-4310) remote, i push buttons on remote and it works at the beginning but after a while it just doesn't have any effect.
I have installed the two FW updates on my avr-4310.

Any thoughts?
post #473 of 5307 Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremxterra View Post

How do you tune in the HD station? example 96.3-2 etc......

See the manual, page 60.

Tune to the station and use the Up and Down buttons (directional arrows around the Enter button).
post #474 of 5307 Old 08-08-2009, 02:39 PM

I'm trying to log into Napster and it keep on saying "incorrect login" . Internet radio doesn't work either. At the "Internet USB" selection menu I can't get into internet radio; i keep pressing enter/select and nothing happens.

Do I need to update the receivers firmware for this? Is it safe to do so? I heard the receiver might lock up and freeze. I don't want that to happen.

Thanks.
post #475 of 5307 Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 PM

Anyone know if the two HDMI outputs are mirrored or assignable?

XBL-BoonDoggl
post #476 of 5307 Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdude24 View Post

Anyone know if the two HDMI outputs are mirrored or assignable?

They are mirrored.
post #477 of 5307 Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 AM

I am about to purchase Denon 4310 but there are two features I wanted to confirm which I found very useful in other competitor products -

1. Marantz 6003 has a feature which enahnces music re-production of MP3 files. Marantz calls this feature M-DAX and in one of the reviews of Denon 4308 I read, it seems to have similar feature as well. Can someone confirms if 4310 has this feature?

2. I will have my sat box connected to receiver via RCA and I will be taking HDMI out to the display. I would not like to turn on the receiver for a casual TV watching such as news etc... will I be able to have HDMI out signal(both audio and video) for the satellite signal which is analog without turning on the receiver(receiver will be on standby). Yamaha 3900 has this feature, do you know if 4310 has it as well?
post #478 of 5307 Old 08-09-2009, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Hi guys--new 4310 owner with a question. I just hooked up to my network. I know it is connected because it is running the firmware update as I type (holding my breath it goes ok). The problem is that when I pull up the GUI to show sources, nothing appears next to "network". The word "network" is greyed out. It should at least be showing me my rhapsody account (I entered my login info) and internet radio, correct? Is there some fix to get this to activate?
It is as if I am not plugged into my network, but of course, I am.
post #479 of 5307 Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Good news (sorry if this was already posted). Just checked the Logitech site and they now have the 4310 in their database.

BTW, my firmware update lost connection part way through. Just powered it back up and it said "retrying update" and seems to be moving along smoothly for now.

Update: Firmware update froze around minute 29 (as has happened to many others). Followed the reset process described in post 31 of the firmware update thread and everything went fine after that--all good. Just thought I'd report here as well as in the firmware thread.
post #480 of 5307 Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvban View Post

I am about to purchase Denon 4310 but there are two features I wanted to confirm which I found very useful in other competitor products -

1. Marantz 6003 has a feature which enahnces music re-production of MP3 files. Marantz calls this feature M-DAX and in one of the reviews of Denon 4308 I read, it seems to have similar feature as well. Can someone confirms if 4310 has this feature?

2. I will have my sat box connected to receiver via RCA and I will be taking HDMI out to the display. I would not like to turn on the receiver for a casual TV watching such as news etc... will I be able to have HDMI out signal(both audio and video) for the satellite signal which is analog without turning on the receiver(receiver will be on standby). Yamaha 3900 has this feature, do you know if 4310 has it as well?

Look in the manual on page 77 for a feature called RESTORER, I believe this is what you want.

Question 2 is also a yes. I do this for cable using HDMI and it works very well.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page