Denon AVR-4310CI Thread - Page 162 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4831 of 5301 Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You have to check the specs on them, I have the Preface speakers.

Close to wall? How close? I don't see why not since you will run them as 'Small' and have the sub do the bass work and Audyssey will calibrate it all for you. Here is how I have my Preface setup. Not a good pic but gives you an idea. Disregard the mic/tripod placement as that step was completed and I moved it there to avoid someone tripping on the wire. Also the center channel is no longer there. Hell, the Tv was sold and I have a Mits 73" now. No room for a center! And the second pic is the bookshelf speakers on stands (before I upgraded everything):
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 5301 Old 01-25-2012, 05:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

You have to check the specs on them, I have the Preface speakers.

Close to wall? How close? I don't see why not since you will run them as 'Small' and have the sub do the bass work and Audyssey will calibrate it all for you. Here is how I have my Preface setup. Not a good pic but gives you an idea. Disregard the mic/tripod placement as that step was completed and I moved it there to avoid someone tripping on the wire. Also the center channel is no longer there. Hell, the Tv was sold and I have a Mits 73" now. No room for a center! And the second pic is the bookshelf speakers on stands (before I upgraded everything):

Great setup!!

These speakers are huge!! I'll need to do some "home work" in order to get those things installed in my living room.

Anyway, today I saw a professional review of 12s. The man said that that they are not so great at low levels and improves the performance as the volume increase.
Since, I live in apartment my reference level is not so so high, then I feel a little worried about this fact.

Do you agree with that comment?

Thanks
post #4833 of 5301 Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 PM

Thanks, we like it.

Didn't know you were in an apartment. I would get the 12's only if I was planning on moving in the near future.Way overkill for an apartment otherwise and you'll be forced to move even if you didn't plan it!

The 4310 with Audyssey MultEQ XT will have the speakers alive no matter the volume so I consider that review to be not 100% accurate.
post #4834 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I have a Definitive Tech.Supercube I. I moved it so my wife could get more room (i Know I know women), it is now behind my recliner. Once I did that, it hits harder but I'm getting my rumble then I did before. I called DT and asked then if they could help me with adjusting it, they told me turn down the volume on back of sub. I did that but still getting to much rumble, then they to set the crossover down in my Denon 4310ci. I could not find any crossover setting just for the sub. I did find in Surround parameters then LFE, that was set to a full 0db. Called Denon and they said to set that at a-3bd. He said there wasn't a manual crossover setting just for the sub. I looked in the manual, but not really sure what the heck I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated? I'm looking for the sub to pack a hard punch without much rumble.

Thanks, Jerry
post #4835 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 940
there is no crossover setting for the sub itself, the speaker's crossovers define what is redirected to the subwoofer. A "crossover" by definition must have two sides -- i.e. cut off from one side and "cross over" to the other side. So whatever you have set for the speakers themselves IS the crossover for the sub.

Have you re-run Audyssey since moving the subwoofer?

I honestly doubt it's a crossover issue. The reason Denon advised about the LFE volume control is most of the "rumble" in a soundtrack is in the LFE channel, not really the redirected bass from the other channels.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4836 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 AM

I second to rerun Audyssey...
post #4837 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

there is no crossover setting for the sub itself, the speaker's crossovers define what is redirected to the subwoofer. A "crossover" by definition must have two sides -- i.e. cut off from one side and "cross over" to the other side. So whatever you have set for the speakers themselves IS the crossover for the sub.

Have you re-run Audyssey since moving the subwoofer?

I honestly doubt it's a crossover issue. The reason Denon advised about the LFE volume control is most of the "rumble" in a soundtrack is in the LFE channel, not really the redirected bass from the other channels.

Hi,

I have not run Audyssey again. When I did do that the first time, I ended up changing the volume setting on each speaker, just seemed to be a bit low in sound.
Is that ok that I changed the Surround parameters then LFE, that was set to a full 0db to a -3db? Would that help?
When I have time I'll rerun Audyssey.

Thanks, Jerry
post #4838 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

if you moved your sub and didn't re-run Audyssey it's no wonder that things sound wrong -- your sub sub was calibrated for a location that is much further away! re-run Audyssey ASAP.

Trimming down the LFE volume is a viable strategy, but first you should recalibrate.

Quote:

When I did do that the first time, I ended up changing the volume setting on each speaker, just seemed to be a bit low in sound.

that was sort of pointless, you can just turn up the volume if you want it louder!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4839 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 11:03 AM

TRUST Audyssey. Run it, ensure all speakers are set to 'small' and the crossover is 80Hz. DO NOT adjust the speaker levels themselves. Give it a good solid week or 2 to 'adjust' to the "proper" way audio is meant to sound and you will be one happy camper.
post #4840 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons07 View Post

Hi,... I have a Definitive Tech.Supercube I. I moved it so my wife could get more room (i Know I know women), it is now behind my recliner...I'm looking for the sub to pack a hard punch without much rumble. Thanks, Jerry

The sub may be getting room gain from being close to a corner or wall or be positioned in a room mode that amplifies the bass. If so, as advised, a rerun of Autosetup should help. In addition, another issue may be if the sub is now coupling to the floor and transmitting LF vibration. If it was on carpet before and is now on bare wood, for ex., LF can resonate or be amplified. In that case a "Subdude" or home-made equivalent would eliminate rumble.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #4841 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

The sub may be getting room gain from being close to a corner or wall or be positioned in a room mode that amplifies the bass. If so, as advised, a rerun of Autosetup should help. In addition, another issue may be if the sub is now coupling to the floor and transmitting LF vibration. If it was on carpet before and is now on bare wood, for ex., LF can resonate or be amplified. In that case a "Subdude" or home-made equivalent would eliminate rumble.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Once I moved the sub, it was still on the carpet. I'll rerun Audyssey and doing some minor adjusting and hopefully get it to my liking.
Thanks, Jerry
post #4842 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 PM

"Also post on the speaker forums or start your own thread asking for ideas within your budget. Don't get hung up on Salk but you could send Jim an email asking if he has a 5 speaker combo in that price range."

Ok, I´ve started a thread asking for ideas...
post #4843 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 05:39 PM

Ok, I´ve started a thread asking for ideas...
post #4844 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

^Hi charlyz. Are you trying to include a link to your thread in your post? In one window, Right click on "link" top right corner of your first post in the thread, click on copy shortcut. In another window click edit on your post in the 4310 thread (unnecessary if you're still composing it and it's not been posted). Use L click drag to highlight the word(s) you want to carry the hyperlink, then click the hyperlink icon in the tool box. Right click Paste into the box that opens, then Save.

To delete an extra post, click edit, then delete and then the delete radio button.

post #4845 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

^Hi charlyz. Are you trying to include a link to your thread in your post? In one window, Right click on "link" top right corner of your first post in the thread, click on copy shortcut. In another window click edit on your post in the 4310 thread (unnecessary if you're still composing it and it's not been posted). Use L click drag to highlight the word(s) you want to carry the hyperlink, then click the hyperlink icon in the tool box. Right click Paste into the box that opens, then Save.

To delete an extra post, click edit, then delete and then the delete radio button.

Hi Sound! Yes I was trying to include part of your post too

I need to learn some tricks yet...

Thanks for your help!
post #4846 of 5301 Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome. There's a forum FAQ tab at the top of the page.

To quote a post, just left click on the quote button on the bottom right of the post. You can then edit it, highlight part of it, etc.

post #4847 of 5301 Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 PM

I was going to order a network card sub-assembly and do the replacement myself but Denon Canada actually honoured my warranty even though it's over 2 years now and purchased from the USA.

At first the AVR was grabbing a private IP from my router and I could acess it through a web browser but it would not steam internet radio or check for a firmware upgrade so I did a microprocessor reset (page 111). After that it was able to at least download the firmware but then after a good 20-30 mins got stuck on:
Ether IMG 02min
Download fail AE

I then did a network card reset thanks to madkaw's post.
Same steps as the microprocessor but you hold the UP/DOWN buttons instead of the STANDARD/DSP SIMULATION buttons.

After that I was able to attempt a second firmware update which went through successfully and I was able to get internet radio back!
post #4848 of 5301 Old 02-09-2012, 03:32 AM

My Av4310 shows a firmware upgrade, anynone know what is about?

Kocl
post #4849 of 5301 Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post

I'm not seeing that msg, so it might be country-specific. Check the updates/upgrades section of Denon.pt
post #4850 of 5301 Old 02-10-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile.E.Coyote View Post

I'm not seeing that msg, so it might be country-specific. Check the updates/upgrades section of Denon.pt

Here in Ohio, no upgrade or update, either.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #4851 of 5301 Old 02-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Oddly enough my network card has died but it is the newer model.

I have the usual can not connect to the network status. FYI - I can swap cables between the 4310ci and PC next to it and they always work on the PC, and yes I have done the network reset a few times to no avail

Here is what is odd, the sound coming out of the Denon sounds like it is being processed via a box of gravel. Having lurked through all the play-by-play in this thread of bad cards I don't recall anyone noticing crappy sound.

A new twist to an old problem?

Snooze / Larry
post #4852 of 5301 Old 02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

When was the last time you did a firmware update prior to getting this notice?

JohnG
post #4853 of 5301 Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM

it was when i swap my NIC, i think july or august 2011.

Kocl
post #4854 of 5301 Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

it was when i swap my NIC, i think july or august 2011.

There was an update that came out in November, this might be the one you are seeing now.

JohnG
post #4855 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
A while back in this thread, a member who had installed the new NIC card indicated that his 4311 now was able to play 96/24 hi rez flac files via the network. I have quite a few such files and would really love to be able to stream them from my NAS. Can anyone who has replaced their NIC with the newer model confirm that it will now play 96/24 bit flac files?

Thanks!
post #4856 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 12:11 PM

What does 'NAS' stand for and also, tell me how to do what you want to do and I'll be happy to check for you since I have the new card installed.
post #4857 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

NAS = network attached storage.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_attached_storage

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #4858 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

A while back in this thread, a member who had installed the new NIC card indicated that his 4311 now was able to play 96/24 hi rez flac files via the network. I have quite a few such files and would really love to be able to stream them from my NAS. Can anyone who has replaced their NIC with the newer model confirm that it will now play 96/24 bit flac files?

Thanks!

Pbarach mentioned this, in reply to my question. In the meantime I researched the matter further, with some good results.
My 4310 can play some 96/24 flacs just fine, while it stumbles on others. It does not play 88.2kHz/24bit flacs at all, with the exception of one very short sample, no idea why. However, I found out that by converting the problem flacs to wavs I can play them back as well (both 88.2 and 96 kHz).
Some 96/24 flacs are played back with dropouts, while the corresponding wavs play just fine. So I would suspect that the decoder which I think is built into the NIC somehow gets bogged down in some circumstances causing the playback to temporarily stop.
One important mention I have to make is that I tested this with both the original "old" network card (golden edges) and a new one (green edges) I ordered, and got absolutely the same behavior. Maybe my original NIC is not a "problem" one.
I have the music stored on a Synology NAS connected to the router, an Airport Extreme. The connection to the entertainment system is done wireless and on that end I use a Linksys WRT54GL flashed with DD-WRT and configured as a client bridge. I tried replacing the wireless link with a cable didn't help with the dropouts at all.
The flacs I have were either downloaded from HDTRACKS or converted from DVDA using dbpoweramp.
Hope this helps,
F.
post #4859 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floran View Post

Pbarach mentioned this, in reply to my question. In the meantime I researched the matter further, with some good results.
My 4310 can play some 96/24 flacs just fine, while it stumbles on others. It does not play 88.2kHz/24bit flacs at all, with the exception of one very short sample, no idea why. However, I found out that by converting the problem flacs to wavs I can play them back as well (both 88.2 and 96 kHz).
Some 96/24 flacs are played back with dropouts, while the corresponding wavs play just fine. So I would suspect that the decoder which I think is built into the NIC somehow gets bogged down in some circumstances causing the playback to temporarily stop.
One important mention I have to make is that I tested this with both the original "old" network card (golden edges) and a new one (green edges) I ordered, and got absolutely the same behavior. Maybe my original NIC is not a "problem" one.
I have the music stored on a Synology NAS connected to the router, an Airport Extreme. The connection to the entertainment system is done wireless and on that end I use a Linksys WRT54GL flashed with DD-WRT and configured as a client bridge. I tried replacing the wireless link with a cable didn't help with the dropouts at all.
The flacs I have were either downloaded from HDTRACKS or converted from DVDA using dbpoweramp.
Hope this helps,
F.

Thanks for your helpful response. I have the old original NIC card, one of the few it seems that hasn't stopped working. However, when I try to play a 96/24 file via ethernet cable or wirelessly, it will usually play for about 5 seconds and then stop and give the message "File Format Error" on the 4310 display. I haven't tried the few 88/24 files I have. I guess I could convert them to wave files, but they take up so much space compared to flac files. BTW, how did you go about converting DVD-A files with dbpoweramp? I have that program, but never thought to use it on my DVD-A discs. Thanks again for your response!
post #4860 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

Thanks!

I can START to play them, but the throughput isn't enough on my network (the files are on a PC that sends them over WiFi), so playback starts to stutter after a few seconds. I haven't tried to see if a PC connected via Ethernet will play these files without stuttering through the 4310.

I can play 96/24 FLAC files without any problem from a USB flash drive or USB external hard drive, and I believe the USB input uses the NIC card. My defunct NIC was replaced in June after I'd had the 4310 for about six months. The only problem I have with the 4310 is that I cannot upload a config.dat file after it's been saved.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page