post #4861 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

What does 'NAS' stand for and also, tell me how to do what you want to do and I'll be happy to check for you since I have the new card installed.

Splicer: You can test my issue by just placing some 96/24 flac files on a usb thumb drive and inserting in the usb port on the 4310. After a few seconds, it give the message "file format error" with my old card. It would be great if the newer card would allow playback of such files.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

Thanks for your helpful response. I have the old original NIC card, one of the few it seems that hasn't stopped working. However, when I try to play a 96/24 file via ethernet cable or wirelessly, it will usually play for about 5 seconds and then stop and give the message "File Format Error" on the 4310 display. I haven't tried the few 88/24 files I have. I guess I could convert them to wave files, but they take up so much space compared to flac files. BTW, how did you go about converting DVD-A files with dbpoweramp? I have that program, but never thought to use it on my DVD-A discs. Thanks again for your response!

One can do DVD-A to wav using DVD-A Explorer. For conversions flac <-> wav: dbpoweramp.

I have two categories of flacs that don't work:
- the ones that give the File Format Error; those ones won't play even from a USB thumbdrive (btw, the USB interface is on the NIC as well)
- the ones that "stutter" at playback
For both, converting them to wavs fixed the problem for me.

For now I don't have such a large 96/24 collection, so using wavs instead of flacs doesn't bother me too much. However, one of the things I would like to try is to experiment with different flac compression setting maybe I find one that always works fine with the 4310, even if it yields a less effective compression.
post #4863 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floran View Post

One can do DVD-A to wav using DVD-A Explorer. For conversions flac <-> wav: dbpoweramp.

I have two categories of flacs that don't work:
- the ones that give the File Format Error; those ones won't play even from a USB thumbdrive (btw, the USB interface is on the NIC as well)
- the ones that "stutter" at playback
For both, converting them to wavs fixed the problem for me.

For now I don't have such a large 96/24 collection, so using wavs instead of flacs doesn't bother me too much. However, one of the things I would like to try is to experiment with different flac compression setting maybe I find one that always works fine with the 4310, even if it yields a less effective compression.

It's worth a try I guess, but I suspect it won't work regardless of the level of compression. I think the NIC card just doesn't have enough processing power to convert the file to pcm for playback. I am currently using a computer running JRiver Media Center to playback these files feeding into the 4310 via hdmi and it sounds quite good. It irritates me a bit that this $2,000 receiver won't do what my $229 Onkyo receiver will do. It plays these files just fine wirelessly! So much for Denon being the "premium" brand. I really like many aspects of the Denon, but feel it is a bit behind the times in this regard. I believe, however, that the 4311 will play hi rez files.
post #4864 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM

Liked: 32
I'm still in the dark. Where do I get a 96/24 'flac'(?) file from? LOL, I know I sound stupid but I never attempted anything like this as I don't see the need. CD sounds awesome to me.

Also, how did you get the 4310 to be "wireless"? I have been under the impression that it is wired ethernet or nothing?
post #4865 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I'm still in the dark. Where do I get a 96/24 'flac'(?) file from? LOL, I know I sound stupid but I never attempted anything like this as I don't see the need. CD sounds awesome to me.

Also, how did you get the 4310 to be "wireless"? I have been under the impression that it is wired ethernet or nothing?

Yes, the 4310 has to be connected to the network by Ethernet--can't be wireless. But the PC with the music files can be connected to that network either via WiFi or ethernet. So, for example, my 4310 is plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on my wireless router. It plays music files from a PC in the next room or elsewhere in the house that is NOT wired, but is on the network via WiFi.

If you want to check out 96/24 stereo or surround FLAC or even stereo 192/24 FLAC files, you can download some well-recorded free samples here:
http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html Note the username and password at the top of that page. Right click on the file you want and then enter the password to save the file to your PC.

If you don't hear any benefit to the hi-rez files, you will save some money by not buying them, and save some trouble by not trying to strip the audio from DVD-A discs.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #4866 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:

You can also download some sample 96/24 flags here: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?f...ialbum_id=6446
The 4310 is not wireless, but I have a wireless bridge which connects through WiFi to the wireless router; receiver, TV and BR players have wired network connections to the bridge. Linksys makes such a bridge, WES610 (although I would not recommend it).
post #4867 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 08:34 PM

Ah yes, forgot about the 'bridge' method. I already ran the Cat5, no problem. My BDP is wireless tho and works well with my Linksys N router. As does the kids Wii. Thanks for the additional link. Going to do some testing now if I don't screw something up. LOL...Oh, BTW, once I download the samples, how do I get them to play on the 4310? I can easily do it thru my LG BD570 using NERO but never tried thru the 4310...
post #4868 of 5301 Old 02-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Ah yes, forgot about the 'bridge' method. I already ran the Cat5, no problem. My BDP is wireless tho and works well with my Linksys N router. As does the kids Wii. Thanks for the additional link. Going to do some testing now if I don't screw something up. LOL...Oh, BTW, once I download the samples, how do I get them to play on the 4310? I can easily do it thru my LG BD570 using NERO but never tried thru the 4310...

You could play them from a USB drive or from the media server if you have one set up.
post #4869 of 5301 Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Splicer: Sorry if I confused you; the 4310 is not wireless; I was referring to my Onkyo 509. They sell a small usb donglefor their network receivers that you simply insert into the front and it makes the receiver wireless. I use it to stream to one of my two channel systems. As Floran mentioned, you can get a free sample 96/24 song from HDTracks, which is where I purchased most of my hi rez files from. 2L which was mentioned by another member and also Linn Records and AIX all sell high quality music in various formats and some in multi-channel format. I tried ripping a DVD-A last night and the resultant tracks (WAV) worked very well on my 4310, but my Denon 3808 would not play them at all. BTW, when ripping the DVD-A tracks I tried them two ways, both downmixed to stereo and directly ripping the two channel tracks on the disc and the direct rips of the two channel sounded much better than the downmixed ones of the same songs.
post #4870 of 5301 Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM

Liked: 13
I recently changed from a separate blu-ray and dvd/sacd player to an Oppo bdp-83. Because I used to have the players on different inputs on my 4310, I was able to designate Audyssey Flat for playing music on my Oppo DV-980h and "regular" Audyssey for watching blu-rays. Now that I use one player and input for both, I'm trying to figure out how to use my Harmony One to change between the different "curves."

I'd also like to be able to use the H-1 to toggle between Surround A, Surround B, and Surround A+B. My brother has a similar setup with a different universal remote, and he is able to do this.

Does anybody have any info on this? Help would be much appreciated.
post #4871 of 5301 Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post

I recently changed from a separate blu-ray and dvd/sacd player to an Oppo bdp-83. Because I used to have the players on different inputs on my 4310, I was able to designate Audyssey Flat for playing music on my Oppo DV-980h and "regular" Audyssey for watching blu-rays. Now that I use one player and input for both, I'm trying to figure out how to use my Harmony One to change between the different "curves."

I'd also like to be able to use the H-1 to toggle between Surround A, Surround B, and Surround A+B. My brother has a similar setup with a different universal remote, and he is able to do this.

Does anybody have any info on this? Help would be much appreciated.

I have the 4310 and -83. All my gear is controlled with a H-1.

I have one activity for watching BD's and another for listening to CD/SACD. I use start-up sequences to get each activity set individually. In my case, BD's use the Audyssey curve and CD/SACD has Audyssey off. By using 2 activities, I can get each one set up exactly as I want, including not turning on my 141, when listening to music.

If you don't know how to do this.... just ask the folks in the Official Logitech Harmony One Thread. They can give you more detailed information about how to create the sequencing for the startup of each activity. You also need to have some discreet commands (search this thread for Batpig's Harmony commands).

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #4872 of 5301 Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 AM

Liked: 11
Can the Denon 4310 do all the latest HD soundtracks / options?
post #4873 of 5301 Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman7 View Post

And then some...
post #4874 of 5301 Old 02-22-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

There are some limitations on hi-rez audio files (not from soundtracks), such as 192 kHz FLAC or multichannel 96 kHz FLAC files. But it will definitely handle any kind of soundtrack option there is, and very well!

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #4875 of 5301 Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 PM

Many thanks.

Lastly, does the Denon AVR-4310 do a good job of decoding HDCD and SACD and DVD-Audio multi-channel over HDMI.

If I send these bitstream over HDMI will the Denon do a great job with them?

Thank you again guys!
post #4876 of 5301 Old 02-23-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
^It certainly will. I recommend you bitstream everything you can. Sending DSD in particular yields delightful SQ IME.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #4877 of 5301 Old 02-25-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

^It certainly will. I recommend you bitstream everything you can. Sending DSD in particular yields delightful SQ IME.

Thanks SOUNDOFMIND.

So if I want to get the best possible sound quality from a HDCD I turn the HDCD decoding "OFF" in the player (mine is an Oppo 95) and by doing that I am allowing the Denon AVR-4310 to do the HDCD decoding instead? Is that right?

(Over HDMI via Bitstream of course).
post #4878 of 5301 Old 02-25-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
^I believe you're correct but I'd check on the 4310 FPD to see if it says HDCD when you do so, or perhaps post the question on the 95 thread.

I don't recall actually testing whether HDCD decoded in the Oppo sounds any different than in the AVR. HDCD offers only a small advantage sonically over RBCD. But DSD decoded in the Oppo never sounded quite as good as decoded in the Denon in my tests.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #4879 of 5301 Old 02-25-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Thanks SOUNDOFMIND.

So if I want to get the best possible sound quality from a HDCD I turn the HDCD decoding "OFF" in the player (mine is an Oppo 95) and by doing that I am allowing the Denon AVR-4310 to do the HDCD decoding instead? Is that right?

(Over HDMI via Bitstream of course).

yes, that is correct...

it'll be crap otherwise... what happens is that when the oppo does the decoding, there's still some hdcd flagging "left over" in the stream, and the avr picks up on that and tries to do it again.... which results in random audio drops, etc.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4880 of 5301 Old 02-25-2012, 04:01 PM

Fab. Thank you.

I'll set HDCD to "OFF" on the Oppo then and hopefully that'll leave the Denon AVR-4310 to do it's stuff.

That's right isn't it?
post #4881 of 5301 Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

yup, you got it right...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4882 of 5301 Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know how/if it is possible to send analog audio via the RCA inputs while sending video via HDMI? I thought I had done this in the past, but when I recently tried to send analog audio from my DAC from my computer while sending the screen image over HDMI, I got nothing. I did change the Input settings to both auto and then straight analog, but it didn't seem to help. When I unplugged the HDMI cable, I got audio just fine from the DAC. Is this not possible or am I just missing a setting?
post #4883 of 5301 Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
^^
Yes, it's possible, however, as the analog inputs are not "assignable" you must assign the HDMI input to the same label of the analog jack you use. Then change INPUT MODE for that source to "Analog". Ensure the computer can pass a signal over both HDMI and analog simultaneously.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4884 of 5301 Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 AM

I have been experiencing some strange and quirky "handshake issues" with the Denon AVR-4310 and the Oppo BDP-95 and my Pioneer KURO kit.
I was running HDMI 1 (video only - audio OFF) from the Oppo into a Pioneer KRP-600A KURO plasma (with HDMI Control OFF), and I was then running HDMI 2 (in bitstream) to my Denon AVR-4310 receiver.
The HDMI cables I use are all named brand and "high-speed 1.4" compliant.

Despite this, often my Pioneer KURO plasma, would not display the Oppo's picture unless I had the Denon AVR-4310 on and tuned to the correct input.

Surely, if I am going directly via HDMI (HDMI 1 on the Oppo to HDMI 1 on the KURO), what setting the amp is on shouldn't make any difference at all to the picture signal?????

I'm effectively bypassing the Denon AVR-4310 in regards to the picture so why do I need the amp on and set to the correct input in order to get a picture???????

Really very weird... Anyone else had this issue. Very strange.
post #4885 of 5301 Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

I have been experiencing some strange and quirky "handshake issues" with the Denon AVR-4310 and the Oppo BDP-95 and my Pioneer KURO kit.
I was running HDMI 1 (video only - audio OFF) from the Oppo into a Pioneer KRP-600A KURO plasma (with HDMI Control OFF), and I was then running HDMI 2 (in bitstream) to my Denon AVR-4310 receiver.

Despite this, often my Pioneer KURO plasma, would not display the Oppo's picture unless I had the Denon AVR-4310 on and tuned to the correct input.

Surely, if I am going directly via HDMI (HDMI 1 on the Oppo to HDMI 1 on the KURO), what setting the amp is on shouldn't make any difference at all to the picture signal?????

I'm effectively bypassing the Denon AVR-4310 in regards to the picture so why do I need the amp on and set to the correct input in order to get a picture???????

Do you have HDMI 1 on the Oppo set to video only? My 93 does the same thing if I recall correctly. I'll try to turn off video only on HDMI 1 and see if that changes anything. It never bothered me because I am always running audio through my HT speakers when watching movies.
post #4886 of 5301 Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Yes, it's possible, however, as the analog inputs are not "assignable" you must assign the HDMI input to the same label of the analog jack you use. Then change INPUT MODE for that source to "Analog". Ensure the computer can pass a signal over both HDMI and analog simultaneously.

jdsmoothie: Thanks very much for your informative reply; however, I forgot to mention that this is with the Denon 3808 I have in my bedroom, not the 4310 in my home theater. Does your response apply to the 3808 as well? Sorry, for not posting this in the 3808 forum, but, as I mentioned, I just wasn't paying attention and really don't go on the 3808 forum at all.
Thanks for all your well-informed posts, smoothie!
post #4887 of 5301 Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
^^
Yup .. same applies to all models.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4888 of 5301 Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Do you have HDMI 1 on the Oppo set to video only? My 93 does the same thing if I recall correctly. I'll try to turn off video only on HDMI 1 and see if that changes anything. It never bothered me because I am always running audio through my HT speakers when watching movies.

Ok, I tested my 93 connected to my Denon 4311 and no such issues. I also have a Pioneer Kuro Elite display. With HDMI 1 set to video only, I can still play a Blu-ray movie with just the display and 93 on regardless of which input the 4311 is set to if it is off. On the other hand, when the 4311 is on, I have to have it set to the 93 input or I won't get anything on the display. Maybe you have video passthrough off on the 4310?
post #4889 of 5301 Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Ok, I tested my 93 connected to my Denon 4311 and no such issues. I also have a Pioneer Kuro Elite display. With HDMI 1 set to video only, I can still play a Blu-ray movie with just the display and 93 on regardless of which input the 4311 is set to if it is off. On the other hand, when the 4311 is on, I have to have it set to the 93 input or I won't get anything on the display. Maybe you have video passthrough off on the 4310?

Thank you. I will check today.

BUT... I assume if I have the Oppo 95 going direct to the Pioneer KURO... the video would NOT therefore be going anywhere near the Denon AVR-4310.???

As you have an Oppo and a Pioneer KURO... what COLOUR SPACE and DEEP COLOUR settings are you using on the Oppo? Are you going direct to the display as well (and not sending the video through the Denon 4310)?

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!
post #4890 of 5301 Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. I will check today.

BUT... I assume if I have the Oppo 95 going direct to the Pioneer KURO... the video would NOT therefore be going anywhere near the Denon AVR-4310.???

As you have an Oppo and a Pioneer KURO... what COLOUR SPACE and DEEP COLOUR settings are you using on the Oppo? Are you going direct to the display as well (and not sending the video through the Denon 4310)?

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!

The Oppo will send both video and audio out all outputs simultaneously with the exception to HDMI 1 which the audio can be muted. So if you have HDMI 1 connected to the Kuro and HDMI 2 connected to the 4310 you will be able to watch from either source.

I have my 93 connected exactly this way. HDMI 1 goes directly to my Kuro while HDMI 2 goes to my 4311 then to another input on the Kuro. For color space I use Video RGB for HDMI 1 direct to the Kuro and 30 bit dithered. For HDMI 2 I use 4:2:2/30 bit since the 4311 can't handle anything above that. One thing to note is that I have not had the time to test these settings using calibration disks yet and am only going by what others have suggested on the Oppo thread. I have HDMI 1 set to the primary display with video only set to on.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page