Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

In addition to jd's response above, there's been a lot of discussion about Dynamic EQ and Volume on the Audyssey thread, where there is a wonderful newAudyssey FAQ. The topic is also covered in the batpig Guide. (scroll down to that topic in both sources).

Warning: read no further into this post as it may cause acute upgradosis.

As to XT->XT32, there has been much discussion on that as well in the Audyssey thread, the 4311, 80.2, 80.3 and other threads. Each move up the Audyssey ladder yields benefits, if your speakers are up to producing it. XT is audibly better than MultEQ if you have reasonably good speakers and XT32 is considerably better than XT.

It is usually described something like this: XT32 improves things quite a bit over XT, with more clarity and punch, even smoother bass, better integration of subs with sats and more immersive surround bubble. See this post for details. Or perhaps it's better that you don't...

As soon as I found a deal on a 4311 (the A100 version) I got it and once I heard the difference I sold my 4310 without hesitation. I'm very glad I did.

What's A100 version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^ Ignored the warning, eh?

For their 100th Anniv Denon selected certain models and souped them up a bit for a Anniv Lmtd Edition, all of which had a few special parts and were tested to spec before sending out, and all cost about $500 more than the std model. It probably has little significance irt performance but was kinda "special". The exact differences are described in detail in the first post of the 4311 thread here. They're hard to find but I wouldn't bother. It's no biggie.

YMMV, but being serious about SQ and having good speakers, XT32 is an affordible and impressive state-of-the-art advance, and was certainly worth a few hundred more to me.

Another warning-don't read on!

I can't stop myself, and next I'll be telling you about adding the Audyssey Pro, which costs another $550 for kit plus $150for each individual unit license. This is the ultimate Audyssey calibration with XT32. Though I could've done it with XT on the 4310, I didn't want to spend the $150 on the individual unit license on my 4310 as I was sure I'd soon replace it and just waited till I had the 4311. A Pro calibration adds even more refinement to the SQ. But unless you want to take advantage of customizing your curves, it doesn't have quite the same bang-for-the-buck as the XT-XT32 upgrade. (It's the law of diminishing returns per $ spent.) Only a few of the most dedicated audiophile nut-job types like me go for it. Before going with a Pro kit, I'd probably recommend getting two decent matching subs (oops-more $) and carefully placing them in the room for smoothest bass. That's much easier with something like an OmniMic measurement system (oops-there I go again, another $300). There's a recent discussion on tweaking subs on the Pro kit thread.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I can't stop myself, and next I'll be telling you about adding the Audyssey Pro...

I looked at PRO and wondered:
1. Can you see more than the five EQ curves shown in the UI? Specifically the SUB channel(s) corrections?
2. What do you think the qualitative differences between XT with, and without PRO are?
3. Is there a steep learning curve to perform a PRO calibration, or do you simply have 32 (24 additional) measurement points?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

3. Refurb AVRs from authorized resellers (eg. AC4L) were increased from 90 days to 1 year back in Oct 2011.

Right, and DENON is considering offering an extended warranty beyond the one year for recently purchased refurbs. Last week DENON told me "call back in a month or so for an update".
Old 04-30-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird7 View Post

1. Can you see more than the five EQ curves shown in the UI? Specifically the SUB channel(s) corrections?
Yes, there's detailed before and after curves for each speaker-check out the lower right curve=sub(s) on the Audyssey Pro certificates posted throughout the Pro thread.

2. What do you think the qualitative differences between XT with, and without PRO are?
Good question. I have not done XT. Pro can only work with the version of Audyssey in the processor. So, likely the same sort of benefit as with XT32, but perhaps less so. You could ask on the Pro thread. If it's a choice between spending the $ on a Pro kit or upgrading to an XT32-equipped AVR, I recommend XT32 first. It's much bigger bang for the buck.

3. Is there a steep learning curve to perform a PRO calibration, or do you simply have 32 (24 additional) measurement points?

It's a bit more complex than autosetup but not as complex as learning to use something like REW, for ex. If you read the beginning of the Pro thread, there are brief instructions that will give you a pretty clear idea.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Stick with the 12's for the front. Use the 10's for surround duty...At least that is what I would do in your position. I am running all Martin Logan, Encore TF for the surrounds, and the 4310 just rocks.

And I have the ML Motion 12. I found a real deal online.

They are running in stereo because I need to replace the little polkies and don't want to mix them.
So, I have re run Audissey and the settings are:

Size: Large
Crossover: Full band

However, I have changed to small and crossover to 80 hz. But I'm not 100% sure if this setting needs to be changed manually. What do you think?

In stereo mode seems to sound better when I set in custom >> Front: Large. Sub: yes >> SW Mode LFE+Main >> Crossover 80 hz.

Am I running Audissey in the correct way?

By the way, the first impressions are pretty impressive!!!

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Liked: 32
Looks good to me. The Motion 12s are beginning to be closed out with new line happening...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Yes, there's detailed before and after curves for each speaker-check out the lower right curve=sub(s) on the Audyssey Pro certificates posted throughout the Pro thread.

Good question. I have not done XT. Pro can only work with the version of Audyssey in the processor. So, likely the same sort of benefit as with XT32, but perhaps less so. You could ask on the Pro thread. If it's a choice between spending the $ on a Pro kit or upgrading to an XT32-equipped AVR, I recommend XT32 first. It's much bigger bang for the buck.

It's a bit more complex than autosetup but not as complex as learning to use something like REW, for ex. If you read the beginning of the Pro thread, there are brief instructions that will give you a pretty clear idea.

SoundofMind, Thanks for your detailed response.

1. EQ Curves for SUB - I took a look at some of the Audyssey Pro certificates (kbarnes701 post #1803). How great is it to see the results of the Frequency correction! One wonders what the time domain corrections look like? The engineer in me is envious and tempted to buy the Pro Kit just for the graphs. In the UI at least I can see the "after" curves for the five main channels.

2. XT, with and without PRO - In his (kbarnes701 #1854) post he saw many benefits with PRO (I think he has XT32). For now I am a happy camper with my "new" 4310 and XT regular.

3. Learning PRO - Interesting, and the custom mode looks fun as well. Question, once you purchase the Pro Kit, can it be used on any Audyssey equipped gear/brand (I realize each piece requires a $150 license)?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

"...once you purchase the Pro Kit, can it be used on any Audyssey equipped gear/brand?"

^Yes, as long as that particular model is Pro-capable, as is the 4310, 4311 and up models in Denon. Onkyo AVRs are not, AFAIK, but their pre/pros are.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I also leave the 4310 set for 8 ohms

I know this is from an OLLLLLLLD post (page 106), but I was looking for clarification since I see no way to "set" the speaker output(s) to 8 or 6 ohms.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:52 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2024 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
^^
Correct. There is no impedance setting on the 4310CI. Although there is one on the 4311CI you wouldn't want to change it anyway.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

The 4310 cannot directly play 96/24 FLAC files (or higher), so if that's what you downloaded, you are out of luck. But the 4310 will play regular 16/44.1 FLAC files and those should show up on your display when you use the NET function to get to your server (computer) and then the Music folder within your computer and from there navigate to the folder that contains the songs you want to play. If you have a server program on your computer that can play 96/24 flac files, then it can send those files as PCM to your 4310 for playing. You would need to use a third party program since Windows Media Player cannot natively play FLAC at all at any resolution, although you can download a codec to allow it to play the regular FLAC files. If you want to play many 96/24 FLAC files, you might wish to invest in a third party music player such as JRiver Media Center; I understand that something like Foobar also works well and it is free, but I use JRiver so I cannot say how well Foobar works personally. Hope this info helps.

Just discovered this thread. Just bought a refurbrished 4310ci recently. I was fairly upset when I discovered I couldn't play my HDTracks files via the Network input. I solved the problem by using Media Monkey, which is free, and copying the folder to another spot and then converting these files to 48/24 WAV files. Doubt any sonic degradation.

Media Monkey will also play any type file from your computer.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieheels View Post

Just discovered this thread. Just bought a refurbrished 4310ci recently. I was fairly upset when I discovered I couldn't play my HDTracks files via the Network input. I solved the problem by using Media Monkey, which is free, and copying the folder to another spot and then converting these files to 48/24 WAV files. Doubt any sonic degradation.

Just discovered that my ARgosy media player plays FLAC. I'm testing with a few files 96/24 that I've downloaded. The player is connected to 4310 via HDMI and status says signal is FS 96. Am I doing the right thing?

Just started to play with FLAC this week.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieheels View Post

Does anybody know what is the advantage to play hi res files through an external DAC instead of a media server in 4310?

Just started to playing around with high res files and I'm doing some tests.

For now, I have an Argosy media player and trough it I saw I can play up to 192/24 files. But I don't know how to see if I'm loosing something doing that way.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 PM

I think I have finally fallen victim to the NIC card failure. I haven't heard much about repairs times on here lately. Anyone know if Denon has the card in stock? Also, does this repair have to take place at a regional super center? We have two local service centers, but not regional supercenters. And is it fairly easy to get the RMA from Denon with a phone call to the support number?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb3da View Post

I think I have finally fallen victim to the NIC card failure. I haven't heard much about repairs times on here lately. Anyone know if Denon has the card in stock? Also, does this repair have to take place at a regional super center? We have two local service centers, but not regional supercenters. And is it fairly easy to get the RMA from Denon with a phone call to the support number?

Thanks!

Sorry to hear that the NIC card is giving you trouble. Is you unit still under warranty? The replacement is very easy to do. I changed mine in 15 minutes. I can PM the instructions if you are interested. JT
Old 05-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Sorry to hear that the NIC card is giving you trouble. Is you unit still under warranty? The replacement is very easy to do. I changed mine in 15 minutes. I can PM the instructions if you are interested. JT

I should still be under warranty (it's 2 years, right)? I bought it on clearance in December 2010. I'd be fine with doing it myself, but if I can have it done for free I'd rather do that.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Thanks!

I took mine to the local service center, where they diagnosed it and ordered/installed the card. I never called Denon. This was last year, so the time involved is irrelevant to today.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:08 PM

Ok, so I have a new concern now on getting warranty service. I just located my receipt and the cheap paper and ink has faded quite a bit. You can still read it, but just barely. And I mean barely. Purchase date was 01/09/2011. Do you think I will have any issues getting warranty work performed?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, so I have a new concern now on getting warranty service. I just located my receipt and the cheap paper and ink has faded quite a bit. You can still read it, but just barely. And I mean barely. Purchase date was 01/09/2011. Do you think I will have any issues getting warranty work performed?

Ask the service center. Nobody here could possibly know that

Old 05-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Ask the service center. Nobody here could possibly know that

Just curious if anyone on here had a similar experience. Most receipts I have saved from the last 5 years seem to fade over time. I doubt I am alone. I will call the local service center but it's Saturday night and I know it's useless until Monday. I'm just making conversation.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just curious if anyone on here had a similar experience. Most receipts I have saved from the last 5 years seem to fade over time.

If you have a scanner, try scanning the receipts for big ticket items with warranties when you purchase them.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Yes, Denon is excellent to work with. Call and talk to them and tell them the story and you should have no issues.

Also, for you to replace the NIC card yourself will require you purchasing a new NIC ($150?) and I wouldn't do that. I could live withoput mine for the whole 10 days it took to ship, be repaired and shipped back to me.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is there a particular setting needed to engage AL24 Processing Plus, or does it automatically engage when it detects an LPCM input signal? I ask because I have two ways to play CDs: One is with my Oppo BDP-83, which I have set to output bitstream via HDMI, and the other is with a Sony CD player/recorder connected via an optical cable.

Either way I play a CD, both the "PCM" and "DIG." input signal indicators light, but not the AL24 indicator. What am I missing?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 PM

Liked: 18
Has the AL24 indicator light come on in the past? Have you double checked the input assign for both OPPO and Sony? Sounds strange to me, from your post I would think that AL24 indicator light SHOULD be on. Make extra sure that input mode is set to "digital" and not analog,auto,HDMI,EXT in for the Sony connected by optical. Input mode setting for OPPO make sure it's set to HDMI.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
there is no setting to turn it on/off, it should engage automatically when presented with an appropriate PCM signal.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Liked: 15
I guess I figured it out. For CDs, if anything other than "stereo" or "direct" is selected in "surround mode," there's no AL24 processing. For DVD-audio, it works automatically. Good to know.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post

I guess I figured it out. For CDs, if anything other than "stereo" or "direct" is selected in "surround mode," there's no AL24 processing. For DVD-audio, it works automatically. Good to know.

Yes, with my 4310 AL24 lights only in stereo or direct mode
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2024 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird7 View Post

Right, and DENON is considering offering an extended warranty beyond the one year for recently purchased refurbs. Last week DENON told me "call back in a month or so for an update".

I spoke with the AC4L owner who recently met with some Denon Execs on ways to improve the processing of returned refurbs. He indicated that Denon is not considering extending the existing 1 year warranty, but rather is more likely considering adding the same "for fee" extended warranty (currently offered with the new units sold on their website) to the refurbs they sell on the website as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Flashing on output 1 HDMI, all connected components via HDMI, as well as component to HDMI. Output HDMI 2, zero flashing. Have not tried the Wii (component to HDMI) yet.

Is there a known problem/fix that addresses this problem or is it just me? What is the difference between outout HDMI 1/2? I was under the impression there was no difference?

Do I need to send the 4310 in for repair...again?

Background: Never an issue (no flashing) till an Oppo 93 was connected to the system in a direct replacement of a LG BDP. I am certain it is coincidence and nothing to do with the Oppo itself, however even after returning to the original system configuration, the flashing has increased in frequency it seems. Oh yes, the display is a Mitsubishi 73733. Once switched to output HDMI 2, all flashing has ceased, tho I have read on others it has returned on output HDMI 2 also.

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon