Denon AVR-4310CI Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 5307 Old 10-01-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian-HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 2,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
How do I turn off DRC in 4310?
Brian-HD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 5307 Old 10-01-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by en6ads View Post

For those of you that own both the 4310ci and the Oppo BDP-83, can you see ANY difference in the quality of upscale of progressive and interlaced SD content?

I know they have the same chip (ABT2010) but there could be differences in implementation.

Many thanks.

The scaling on the Denon with 480i from the Oppo seems, at the default settings, to be identical. And de-interlacing 1080i also produces fantastic results.

Obviously the Denon doesn't have the controls that the Oppo does, nor will it scale DVD to 1080p/24.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #993 of 5307 Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

How do I turn off DRC in 4310?

See the manual page 73.

In GUI>Audio-Video Adjust>Audio Adjust>Surround Parameters>DRC.

And it only appears when you are feeding a DRC compatible bit-stream.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #994 of 5307 Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Member
 
bob98102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of upgrading from my 2805 (with 7.i Miller-Kreisel speakers) to the 4310. I am writing with reference to the observations that the new Denon receivers do not save in memory the speaker volume settings for the various surround modes. I am wondering how important this is in the 4310. I have in fact had to boost the volume of the surround side and rear speakers when using my Panasonic BD-55 analog outputs which then produces well-balanced flatly equalized sound including dts hd master audio and Dolby True HD. It is convenient to be able to switch to the analog inputs without having to reset speaker volumes. A question for the pwners of the 4310: Do volume levels need to be changed among the various digital modes of the 4310?
bob98102 is offline  
post #995 of 5307 Old 10-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Newbie
 
cmazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had to assign back speaker to "normal" since I have a back speaker on my 6.1 surround set up. This removes my option to assign back speakers to "zone 2". I have outdoor speakers on speaker B and can not figure out how to configure settings so I can listen to radio/CD sources on the outdoor speakers. What I really needed was the ability to set speaker B to zone 2.
Any suggestions?
cmazza is offline  
post #996 of 5307 Old 10-03-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob98102 View Post

A question for the pwners of the 4310: Do volume levels need to be changed among the various digital modes of the 4310?

In my opinion, no.... I never thought to even check if it was an option.

However, there may be others here who can shed some light on whey they think they need that option.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #997 of 5307 Old 10-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
callott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 4310ci does not get along with my LG-BD390 blu-ray player in pass-thru mode. DTS Master Audio sources result in horribly-distorted sound, pops, or complete silence. Dolby Digital and stereo PCM sources (like CDs) are just fine. Unfortunately, I do not have any Dolby TrueHD sources that I can test with.

The 4310 is detecting the DTS bitstream, because I can see "DTS-HD MSTR" in the front panel display and checking the audio source information in the menu shows the following:

--
Surround Mode - DTS HD MSTR
Signal - DTS HD MSTR
fs - 48khz
Format - 3/2/.1
--

I'm using a full 1.3-compliant HDMI cable (and tried a second one to be sure), so that's not the problem.

Since the 4310 was detecting the bitstream but not decoding it properly, I decided I'd brave another attempt at a firmware update and see if that might be part of the problem. I went through this when the receiver first arrived a few weeks ago, but eventually had to give up on it because it would never complete properly.

Now it seems I can't get the receiver to connect to the network at all. I tried both DHCP and manual settings, but the link light isn't even coming on in the ethernet switch. I know it was definitely working at one point, because I remember browsing the 4310's setup menu on a web browser. I tried shutting down the 4310 completely and even briefly unplugged it from the power socket. It doesn't seem to do anything at all on the network port when it boots back up.

At this point I'm pretty stumped. I can work around the problem by setting the player to output multi-channel PCM, but I'm not sure if I'm getting playback of the full HD stream or just the DTS core. It's really annoying.

I guess I could try resetting to factory defaults, but I don't really want to lose my Audyssey settings and other customizations.
callott is offline  
post #998 of 5307 Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
tim3320070's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by callott View Post

My 4310ci does not get along with my LG-BD390 blu-ray player in pass-thru mode. DTS Master Audio sources result in horribly-distorted sound, pops, or complete silence. Dolby Digital and stereo PCM sources (like CDs) are just fine. Unfortunately, I do not have any Dolby TrueHD sources that I can test with.

The 4310 is detecting the DTS bitstream, because I can see "DTS-HD MSTR" in the front panel display and checking the audio source information in the menu shows the following:

--
Surround Mode - DTS HD MSTR
Signal - DTS HD MSTR
fs - 48khz
Format - 3/2/.1
--

I'm using a full 1.3-compliant HDMI cable (and tried a second one to be sure), so that's not the problem.

Since the 4310 was detecting the bitstream but not decoding it properly, I decided I'd brave another attempt at a firmware update and see if that might be part of the problem. I went through this when the receiver first arrived a few weeks ago, but eventually had to give up on it because it would never complete properly.

Now it seems I can't get the receiver to connect to the network at all. I tried both DHCP and manual settings, but the link light isn't even coming on in the ethernet switch. I know it was definitely working at one point, because I remember browsing the 4310's setup menu on a web browser. I tried shutting down the 4310 completely and even briefly unplugged it from the power socket. It doesn't seem to do anything at all on the network port when it boots back up.

At this point I'm pretty stumped. I can work around the problem by setting the player to output multi-channel PCM, but I'm not sure if I'm getting playback of the full HD stream or just the DTS core. It's really annoying.

I guess I could try resetting to factory defaults, but I don't really want to lose my Audyssey settings and other customizations.

This issue is keeping me from buying this receiver as I have a BD390 (and love it). Has anyone heard from Denon regarding it?
tim3320070 is offline  
post #999 of 5307 Old 10-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Member
 
serlenbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, went through the update today and it froze at the 10 min mark. Did the reboot and it finished downloading. Great right? Not so fast...

Went to run the Audyssey setup and I can't get past the first menu in the setup! Did a reboot as suggested on these threads and then did a microprocessor reboot. No help. when I plug in the microphone it loads the setup screen and then I can't select the Amping, Channels or the Advance buttons. It just freezes. i have to cycle the power to get the menu off the screen.

Any help with this. Seems to be a new one.

PSN: RE-VOLUTION
serlenbeck is offline  
post #1000 of 5307 Old 10-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Member
 
slimy46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i jus my denon 4310 great unit the only problem im having is a popping sound in the speakers when the picture goes from dark to light in certain cases i noticed it twice both times on cable im running everything hdmi it first happened in the beginning of the mummy when sun if risen over the earth for the universal emblem an the second was when i had 310 to yuma an a mother was giving a kid some cough medicine an there was a oil lamp burning in the back round the picture kinda of went from dark to light does anyone know what this problem it please help if u can
slimy46 is offline  
post #1001 of 5307 Old 10-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Member
 
xtremxterra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmazza View Post

I had to assign back speaker to "normal" since I have a back speaker on my 6.1 surround set up. This removes my option to assign back speakers to "zone 2". I have outdoor speakers on speaker B and can not figure out how to configure settings so I can listen to radio/CD sources on the outdoor speakers. What I really needed was the ability to set speaker B to zone 2.
Any suggestions?

I had same issue and same setup. If you want to use both 6.1 and outdoor speakers I suggest buying an external amp for outdoor speakers. You can not use speaker B for zone 2 (not enough internal amps). This is the amp I got its great!!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-812
xtremxterra is offline  
post #1002 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Newbie
 
mbau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how do I get the unit to display the installed firmware version ??
Can anyone help ?
mbau is offline  
post #1003 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Member
 
jope05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so I've researched and researched, and yes, read this thread and the related firmware troubles thread. I am close to wanting to pull the trigger on the 4310 (would be my first Denon) but am concerned about the firmware issues. Seems Denon has a good customer service rep, but .... What's the consensus from the good folks here? I visited 6th Ave. yesterday and can get a good price, so (I will try to avoid price talk, of course).
jope05 is offline  
post #1004 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 441
The firmware issue seemed to be relegated to the units after they were first released, and Denon quickly addressed them.

I don't see any reason, or proof, that this issue should be of concern any more.

Go for it.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #1005 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
callott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I reset my 4310 to factory defaults and it had no effect on the DTS Master Audio pass-thru issues with my LG-BD390 blu-ray player.

I also attempted the firmware upgrades once again, but have not been successful after hours of trying. I consistently get a "ConnectionFail03" or "ConnectionFail04" error in the "Ether SBL" section. I also did the front panel up/down arrow reset to break out of the automatic update retry and restart it from scratch in the menu.

I suspected that the wireless bridge I was using might be part of the problem, so I actually bought a 50' cat-5 cable and plugged the 4310 directly into my DSL access point. Still effect on the issue.

The Denon site says I can bring the unit into a repair center for the firmware update, but the irony here is that I'm not even sure it will have any impact on the problem I'm having.

At this point I think I'm simply going to return the 4310. I'm happy for those of you that aren't having any problems with the unit, but for the rest of us these firmware update issues are just an unnecessary headache. There's simply no point in putting up with it when there are competitive offerings from other manufacturers.
callott is offline  
post #1006 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Newbie
 
cmazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks exterra. I placed the order today for that external amp. Can you tell me what settings you had to make to the Denon receiver to run speakers on B surround via the amp? Can the external amp be assigned to zone 2?
cmazza is offline  
post #1007 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Member
 
jope05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

The firmware issue seemed to be relegated to the units after they were first released, and Denon quickly addressed them.

I don't see any reason, or proof, that this issue should be of concern any more.

Go for it.

Excellent! Thank you, FilmMixer!
jope05 is offline  
post #1008 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by callott View Post

I reset my 4310 to factory defaults and it had no effect on the DTS Master Audio pass-thru issues with my LG-BD390 blu-ray player.

I also attempted the firmware upgrades once again, but have not been successful after hours of trying. I consistently get a "ConnectionFail03" or "ConnectionFail04" error in the "Ether SBL" section. I also did the front panel up/down arrow reset to break out of the automatic update retry and restart it from scratch in the menu.

I suspected that the wireless bridge I was using might be part of the problem, so I actually bought a 50' cat-5 cable and plugged the 4310 directly into my DSL access point. Still effect on the issue.

The Denon site says I can bring the unit into a repair center for the firmware update, but the irony here is that I'm not even sure it will have any impact on the problem I'm having.

At this point I think I'm simply going to return the 4310. I'm happy for those of you that aren't having any problems with the unit, but for the rest of us these firmware update issues are just an unnecessary headache. There's simply no point in putting up with it when there are competitive offerings from other manufacturers.

Sorry if you already thought of this, but when connecting directly to your DSL access point I don't believe that you can use DHCP, well it really depends upon the modem, so did you make sure your settings are correct for this configuration?

As an 'fyi'; I connect through a wireless network 'bridge' using DHCP without issue. My setup uses a truly ancient Alcatel 1000 DSL modem(1), connected to Apple Airport (over 11n) to another Airport and have the Denon physically connected to the second Airport. In this setup the first Airport is handing out DHCP addresses. Updating firmware works fine, as does connecting to the denon from within my network in a browser (and from my iPhone.)

As for the DTS MA, it works fine with my Sony S350 player--have you tried more than one disk to verify that the issue is not with the disk itself? Unfortunately with most BD players it is impossible to "fully decode" DTS MA as LPCM on the player to help troubleshoot issues like this. The issue being that the negotiation for the stream usually always returns what the receiver says it will decode as part of the negotiation. Usually the best you can do is force the player to decode DTS MA as core DTS and send that as LPCM when listening to secondary audio.

As for firmware, I updated mine when I first got my Denon a month ago, and recently picked up the newest update. I have never had a problem with DTS MA.

Hope this helps.

(1) The thing is literally 10 years old and currently handles my 6Mb downstream connection which is amazing for a device this old.
rsonnens is offline  
post #1009 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Newbie
 
gldnegle76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sure some of you 4310 owners have your powered subwoofer plugged into the back of your avr. Any issues? The manual says (page 24) that the two outlets can take a combined power consumption of 120W (1A). I have a Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 and can't find the actual power consumption spec on it. I'm sure it's okay, these outlets are designed for other audio devices.
Any input would be appreciated.
By the way, finally pulled the trigger on the 4310 and love it.

Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC cable box
Sony XBR6
Sony BDP S550 BlueRay

All hooked up by HDMI and no handshake issues.
gldnegle76 is offline  
post #1010 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Robert George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
Posts: 3,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


I'm sure some of you 4310 owners have your powered subwoofer plugged into the back of your avr.

I wouldn't. A powered subwoofer, or any other amplifier for that matter, draws a lot more current than a source device (DVD, cable box, CD, etc.) and I would avoid the outlets on the back of any AVR for anything that draws a lot of current.
Robert George is offline  
post #1011 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Newbie
 
fgutterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremxterra View Post

I had same issue and same setup. If you want to use both 6.1 and outdoor speakers I suggest buying an external amp for outdoor speakers. You can not use speaker B for zone 2 (not enough internal amps). This is the amp I got its great!!

I'm looking for an external amp for zone 2 as well. The one you suggests looks good and I like the size. Is the fan quiet enough? Does the auto on/off feature work as advertised? Also, are you using an audio delay to sync up zone 2 with the main zone? I haven't found any amps with adjustable audio delay built in for a reasonable price? The cheapest audio delay device I've found online is $190 (I won't say which to avoid breaking the rules). Thanks for the help.
fgutterman is offline  
post #1012 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
callott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post

Sorry if you already thought of this, but when connecting directly to your DSL access point I don't believe that you can use DHCP, so did you make sure your settings are correct for this configuration?

As an 'fyi'; I connect through a wireless network 'bridge' using DHCP without issue.

It's not a DHCP issue. My DSL device is not just a modem -- it's also a four-port fast ethernet switch, a router/firewall, and a wireless access point. It's also the DHCP master for my home network. I just plugged the 4310 into one of the fast ethernet ports with a long ethernet cable.

I agree that the wireless bridge should not be an issue -- I just tried the long ethernet cable to rule it out. The fact that the behavior did not change with a wired connection indicates that the connectivity issue is outside my home network.

Quote:


As for the DTS MA, it works fine with my Sony S350 player--have you tried more than one disk to verify that the issue is not with the disk itself?

Yes, it happens with three different blu-ray titles. I also updated the LG player's firmware "just in case".

Quote:


Unfortunately with most BD players it is impossible to "fully decode" DTS MA as LCPM on the player to help troubleshoot issues like this. The issue being that the negotiation for the stream usually always returns what the receiver says it will decode as part of the negotiation. Usually the best you can do is force the player to decode DTS MA as core DTS when listening to secondary audio.

Yes, and the LG manual is pretty light on details as to what is actually happening with LPCM output versus native pass-thru. On the receiver side, the Denon doesn't seem to be able to display a lot of detailed information about the bitrate or other characteristics of the LPCM data stream.

Thanks for the feedback.
callott is offline  
post #1013 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by callott View Post

Yes, and the LG manual is pretty light on details as to what is actually happening with LPCM output versus native pass-thru. On the receiver side, the Denon doesn't seem to be able to display a lot of detailed information about the bitrate or other characteristics of the LPCM data stream.

I assume in your case the Denon is displaying DTS MA on the front panel and not 'MULTI IN" when the problem occurs. If it doesn't then the Denon is not doing the decoding and the problem is most likely the with the DTS decoder in the LG. A lot of early BD players had DTS MA decoding issues. Make sure you have secondary audio turned off in the LG as that is the only way you can make sure it is bit-streaming the DTS MA data to the Denon. On my Sony I do that in the players setup menu before the disk is loaded. On your player I think the option you want is "primary pass through." When players are enabled the ability to decode secondary audio, even if you are not listening to a secondary track, I believe all/most(?) players decode to LPCM and only use the core DTS track--and you would see MULTI IN" on the Denon.

Also, if you didn't already try i'd swap the cable and/or try a different hdmi input on the Denon. I don't remember seeing other folks with DTS MA issues in this thread, even with earlier firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callott View Post

Firmware/Networking....

For what it is worth it would appear that the latest firmware update fixed a number of ethernet issues judging from the files it updated although I don't know of anyone who knows exactly what they fixed.

Also when your Denon is on the network can you bring up its web interface from a browser. That would at least tell you that the device can talk on the network. Also perhaps some other device on your network is errant? It is unlikely but I recently had a DirevtTV HR20 go crazy and screw up my network. I had to have the unit replaced and it was horrible to track the issue down to that device.

....

Whoops, I just saw your original post. Looks like you tried everything I would have tried (except perhaps trying a different HDMI port.) but combined with your network issue perhaps you should get you denon swapped for a new one.
rsonnens is offline  
post #1014 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Member
 
xtremxterra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmazza View Post

Thanks exterra. I placed the order today for that external amp. Can you tell me what settings you had to make to the Denon receiver to run speakers on B surround via the amp? Can the external amp be assigned to zone 2?

No settings need to be set at all if you have it in normal so you can use rear surround you just connect the speaker wires on back of new amp and rca cables from amp to back of denon where it says zone 2. That's it!

See page 86 of manual under 2. Zone playback by Audio Output (PRE OUT)
xtremxterra is offline  
post #1015 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Member
 
xtremxterra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgutterman View Post

I'm looking for an external amp for zone 2 as well. The one you suggests looks good and I like the size. Is the fan quiet enough? Does the auto on/off feature work as advertised? Also, are you using an audio delay to sync up zone 2 with the main zone? I haven't found any amps with adjustable audio delay built in for a reasonable price? The cheapest audio delay device I've found online is $190 (I won't say which to avoid breaking the rules). Thanks for the help.

I read some of the reviews and they said the fan has never turned on for them. I used for few minutes just to try and fan did not turn on for me either. Guess its there just if it gets to hot but not constantly which is nice. Yes the auto on off works from when i tried it but I am usually going to keep main off as I do not use outdoor speakers that often. Not sure about a audio delay device. It does not bug me as it is for outdoor speakers.
xtremxterra is offline  
post #1016 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Member
 
callott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The general network issues were temporary and were solely due to my mistake of plugging the ethernet cable into the Denon Link port instead of the ethernet port. I can browse the receiver via web browser without any issue now.

The receiver does contact Denon over network in at least some fashion, because I can see it pass the authentication step in the front LCD panel when I initiate a firmware upgrade. It's only later on that it gets stuck and/or throws the communication errrors.

I had already tried different HDMI cables and inputs on the 4310, to no effect.

I know the LG player is passing the DTS MA bitstream and the 4310 is detecting it because I can see DTS HD-MSTR on the front panel display. The only occasional sounds that come out are horribly distorted, however.

It is possible that I simply have a bad LG player and I might try swapping it for a new one. I'd be interested hearing if any other 4310 owners were using an LG BD390.
callott is offline  
post #1017 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by callott View Post

The general network issues were temporary and were solely due to my mistake of plugging the ethernet cable into the Denon Link port instead of the ethernet port. I can browse the receiver via web browser without any issue now.

The receiver does contact Denon over network in at least some fashion, because I can see it pass the authentication step in the front LCD panel when I initiate a firmware upgrade. It's only later on that it gets stuck and/or throws the communication errrors.

I had already tried different HDMI cables and inputs on the 4310, to no effect.

I know the LG player is passing the DTS MA bitstream and the 4310 is detecting it because I can see DTS HD-MSTR on the front panel display. The only occasional sounds that come out are horribly distorted, however.

It is possible that I simply have a bad LG player and I might try swapping it for a new one. I'd be interested hearing if any other 4310 owners were using an LG BD390.

It would be nice if you could borrow any cheapo BD player (except for a PS3) as they will all bitstream DTS MA even if they don't decode it. In fact it would be preferable that it didn't decode the DTS MA track at all for your test. Also, don't forget to try a different HDMI port on the Denon. My bet would be that it is not the LG based on what you said...but using another player would be a great test.

Network... pretty funny. But not enought funny that you still can't connect.

Good luck; I think I've exhausted my usefulness on the topic other than I feel your pain.
rsonnens is offline  
post #1018 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by callott View Post

The general network issues were temporary and were solely due to my mistake of plugging the ethernet cable into the Denon Link port instead of the ethernet port. I can browse the receiver via web browser without any issue now.

The receiver does contact Denon over network in at least some fashion, because I can see it pass the authentication step in the front LCD panel when I initiate a firmware upgrade. It's only later on that it gets stuck and/or throws the communication errrors.

I had already tried different HDMI cables and inputs on the 4310, to no effect.

I know the LG player is passing the DTS MA bitstream and the 4310 is detecting it because I can see DTS HD-MSTR on the front panel display. The only occasional sounds that come out are horribly distorted, however.

It is possible that I simply have a bad LG player and I might try swapping it for a new one. I'd be interested hearing if any other 4310 owners were using an LG BD390.

It's very important to know what titles you are using to test it... not any of the older New Line 7.1 DTS-HD MA would it be?

Also, you have the receiver set to AUDIO OUT AMP and not TV, correct? You shouldn't hear sound if you didn't, but worth a check. Also, have you tried playing the title with your display disconnected?

Also, and not a lot of help, and not the way it should be, but others have had issues in the past with various FW updates over the net (not only with Denon products) and using another ISP fixed the issue... some have taken their units to work and updated there... once again not ideal, but until you can get to the current FW (and unless you try both another player and anouther internet service) there is no way to 100% put the Denon at fault....

I'd love to help you get this issue resolved... it's a great unit, and I hope we can get it working for you.
FilmMixer is offline  
post #1019 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Member
 
callott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. I really appreciate it.

The three DTS Master Audio titles I've been using are:

- Master and Commander (Fox)
- Serenity (Universal)
- WALL-E (Disney)

Most of the testing has been with Master and Commander, but all three exhibit identical behavior.

I bought both the player and receiver from Best Buy; perhaps they will be able to give me a loaner or at least a replacement BD 390 to play with, since it will be on their dime if I have to return either piece of equipment.


It may be true that a different ISP would work just fine for firmware updates but there is absolutely no technical reason why Denon cannot provide a service that will work with any reasonable network connection. I work with large data networks and complicated computer systems for a living (e-commerce websites with over 25k simultaneous users) and it's not like I'm dialing up over a 9600 baud modem here. If knowledgeable enthusiasts can't even get their system to work then I think Denon needs to take a really hard look at what they are doing. It's not like they can expect their customers to change ISPs simply to get reliable firmware updates.

--

Edit: Disconnecting the HDMI out from the 4310 to the monitor has absolutely no effect on the DTS MA problem.
callott is offline  
post #1020 of 5307 Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by callott View Post

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. I really appreciate it.

The three DTS Master Audio titles I've been using are:

- Master and Commander (Fox)
- Serenity (Universal)
- WALL-E (Disney)

Most of the testing has been with Master and Commander, but all three exhibit identical behavior.

I bought both the player and receiver from Best Buy; perhaps they will be able to give me a loaner or at least a replacement BD 390 to play with, since it will be on their dime if I have to return either piece of equipment.


It may be true that a different ISP would work just fine for firmware updates but there is absolutely no technical reason why Denon cannot provide a service that will work with any reasonable network connection. I work with large data networks and complicated computer systems for a living (e-commerce websites with over 25k simultaneous users) and it's not like I'm dialing up over a 9600 baud modem here. If knowledgeable enthusiasts can't even get their system to work then I think Denon needs to take a really hard look at what they are doing. It's not like they can expect their customers to change ISPs simply to get reliable firmware updates.

--

Edit: Disconnecting the HDMI out from the 4310 to the monitor has absolutely no effect on the DTS MA problem.

If you go back and read the LG BR 370/390 thread, others are having issues..

"Has anyone with BD390 ever experienced problems passing True HD and DTS-HD MA to new Denon receivers? I have a brand new Denon AVR-3310CI, and when I send a bitstream from BD390 it identifies it correctly, but there is no sound coming from speakers, just loud "pop" in the beginning. I also have a Panasonic BD55 and LG BH200, and both bitstream just fine to 3310. Is it a common bug with BD390 and I should return it to the store, or I just got a bad unit and need to exchange it?"

LG players have had numerious issues bitstreaming in the past (the combo HD DVD/BR player had similar issues, and I returned mine for just such an issue...) Just know that passing the newer codecs over HDMI 1.3a is a little more complicated than just a flag and audio data.... I really suspect this might be a player issue, based on the above statements... I have no issues bitstreaming from either my Oppo or PS3. As I said, try another player (not the LG) and I suspect the issue will go away.

As far as the ISP... I agree it shouldn't matter. But I just wanted to point out it has in the past with some products (and not isolated to Denon.)

If you can, please see if you can do the update somewhere else... it will be helpful in determining where the issue lies..

Best of luck.... I'm hoping you will be able to make this work for you without feeling you are making a compromise... I've tried so many pieces of gear in this price range that I feel this is the one to beat, and hope you will get it working the way you need it to.
FilmMixer is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Denon Avr4310ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page


    Forum Jump: 

    Posting Rules  
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off