Is there anyone who either has upgraded to the 4310ci from the 3808ci or has decided to? I'd be curious to know what led to that, and if you already have upgraded, whether you think the 4310ci is a worthwhile step up. I'm trying to evaluate a slightly different decision, which is whether to get the 3808ci at closeout prices or get the 4310ci. It looks like I can do the 4310ci for about $500 more than the 3808ci, and I'm trying to determine if the improvements of the 4310ci are worth $500.
I know what the big improvements are, but weighing the value is proving challenging. Here's the thought process I posted on another thread I started about my decision process (Denon AVR-3808ci vs Yamaha RX-v3900 vs Onkyo TX-NR906
). That started to veer towards the 3808ci and 4310ci debate, and someone over there suggested I post here as many 3808ci owners may either be doing or at least considering the ugprade.
- The new video processor is promising, but I can't say I've been disappointed by how my TV and devices handle things now. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing though. I don't think we've seen reviews yet on the implementation of the ABT chip in the 4310 yet either. I certainly wouldn't mind having a nice video processor though.
- Two extra HDMI inputs is certainly nice to have. I'm at 3 HDMI devices now, so 4 would give me some expansion, but 5 rear/1 front is appealing. That said though, I have a Harmony remote, which should eliminate most of the hassle involved in dealing with an HDMI switcher. So I'm not sure what value to assign to this.
- I won't say I wouldn't ever use it, but I can't see myself needing a second HDMI output at this point (or any multi zone features). Maybe when I buy a house in the future, but I'm still not convinced I'd go with multi zone.
- I'm not sure how useful the new Dolby PLIIz or Audyssey DSX features will prove to be.
- Other things like HD Radio and direct iPod connections are nice to have, but not vital. There may also be some other improvements not yet known, such as GUI refinements, etc. Of course there could also be new bugs. The 3808ci is at least a known quantity. Still, I like knowing I have the latest and greatest, and that the 4310ci is probably where Denon's attention will shift for fixes and feature upgrades.
I'm on the fence as to whether that's worth $500 to me. Any thoughts that could help me weigh those improvements against the cost difference would be much appreciated. While I could spend the extra $500 without too much trouble, I want to be sure the value's really there.