AVS Forum banner

New Pioneer Elite AVRs? 2009-2010 changes?

23K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  Sandiar 
#1 ·
Any skinny on new Elite AVRs? Last year, announcements were early May; one poster here said something to the effect of "later in June"

Perhaps an SC-15 and SC-17? Any news / speculation / rumor / etc?

PMs appreciated if anyone is in the "know"!

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhdtv /forum/post/16613948

Any skinny on new Elite AVRs? Last year, announcements were early May; one poster here said something to the effect of "later in June"

Perhaps an SC-15 and SC-17? Any news / speculation / rumor / etc?

PMs appreciated if anyone is in the "know"!

Don't know anything more than what's been announced. New Elite models will be made end of this month. Multi-ch PQLS (when coupled with the new BDPs) is the biggest "feature" upgrade.

Aside from that, info is spotty.

#3 ·
The only other rumor I can think of is that all Elite AVR's will have ICE amp stages, but nothing has been confirmed. Ever since the February shake-up at Pioneer, info has been slow, if not non-existent, due to my longtime DSM losing his job and our market just recently being reassigned. Our new DSM has introduced himself via e-mail, but I have not heard anything more on the new line-up set for release between June and August (usually means July and September). Sorry I can't be of more help at this moment, but I will keep people posted when I find anything out (that is unless someone beats me to it first - the Internet moves faster than I).

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhdtv /forum/post/16616310

Thanks TDI. What would "ICE amp stages" mean vs. the current ICE amps in the SC-05 / SC-07?

It would be the same ICE amplifier technology as the 05/07/09. Again, this is only a rumor/speculation. I sincerely hope to know something soon. The suspense is killing me like it is most enthusiasts for their line.

#7 ·
Actually, I believe the first rumors of the new Elites is the VSX-LX52:

Link is from ssak in the SC-09TX (SC-LX90) thread:

looks like the replacement for the VSX-01 or 03 Elite (VSX-LX51).

The VSX would seem to indicate regular amps.. ICE Amps have been designated: SC-LXxx or SC-xx

VSX-LX52:

Multichannel PQLS
http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/pioneer...52/vsxlx52.asp

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av...4c-39000544q-1

Pioneer VSX-LX52
THX Select 2 Plus certified

5xHDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs with video scaling to 1080p

Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master audio decoding

Advanced MCACC room calibration

Multichannel PQLS for jitter-free audio playback over HDMI when paired with a Pioneer Blu-Ray Disc player

On Screen Display

Built in RDS AM/FM tuner

iPod Digital - allows you to connect modern iPods and iPhone digitally via USB - no need for an external dock

USB input

Multi-channel ASR and ALC to restore fidelity and volume equalisation to compressed audio and television broadcasts

Bi-amping capability

Zone 2 pre-out and video output

12v trigger outputs

Preset remote control

Kuro Link

Available in Black only

Details are tentative and sketchy..

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhdtv /forum/post/16616399

I'm guessing that Audyessy would be off the table? Or any kind of "advanced" dynamic volume control? (e.g. similar to the Onkyo SR-876)?

Your guess is as good as mine at the moment

Honestly, though, Elite receivers have used AIR Studios tuning software since the VSX-49, and I would seriously be surprised if they were to go in another direction. As far as the dynamic volume control, there may be an improvemnt is this area since some of their current receivers only implement an auto leveling control with regards to 2-channel material. Since selling the Elite series for 17-years, every year sees some incremental improvement, and this year will be no different, but the question remains as to what major improvements are in store.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR /forum/post/16616416

Actually, I believe the first rumors of the new Elites is the VSX-LX52:

Link is from ssak in the SC-09TX (SC-LX90) thread:

looks like the replacement for the VSX-01 or 03 Elite (VSX-LX51).

The VSX would seem to indicate regular amps.. ICE Amps have been designated: SC-LXxx or SC-xx

VSX-LX52:

Multichannel PQLS
http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/pioneer...52/vsxlx52.asp

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av...4c-39000544q-1

Pioneer VSX-LX52
THX Select 2 Plus certified

5xHDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs with video scaling to 1080p

Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master audio decoding

Advanced MCACC room calibration

Multichannel PQLS for jitter-free audio playback over HDMI when paired with a Pioneer Blu-Ray Disc player

On Screen Display

Built in RDS AM/FM tuner

iPod Digital - allows you to connect modern iPods and iPhone digitally via USB - no need for an external dock

USB input

Multi-channel ASR and ALC to restore fidelity and volume equalisation to compressed audio and television broadcasts

Bi-amping capability

Zone 2 pre-out and video output

12v trigger outputs

Preset remote control

Kuro Link

Available in Black only

Details are tentative and sketchy..

CHP_VR - Thanks! I tend to overlook the world Pioneer chatter for info even though they know more than we do sooner (please forgive me!). Interesting that Pioneer has chosen not to derivate from the standard line as much as it was previously thought.

#11 ·
Pioneer adds 4 Elite receivers with iPhone hooks

Pioneer on Wednesday brought out four new home theater receivers to its flagship Elite lineup, including the top-rung SC-27 and SC-25, as well as the slightly lower-end VSX-21TXH and VSX-23TXH. All four have a customized USB/composite cable that allow users to integrate their iPhones and iPods into their home theater audio systems. Once connected, the Apple devices can be controlled via the systems' remote controls, and their content sent to 2nd and 3rd zones setup in the home. The SC-series units are meant to reproduce uncompressed Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks found in movies recorded on Blu-ray Discs. Both have a Direct Energy HD Class D amp based on ICEpower.

The SC-27 is the first A/V receiver with a Class D amp to get THX Ultra2 Plus and AIR Studio monitor specifications for audio quality. While power numbers haven't been released, Pioneer did reveal both the SC-25 and SC-27 use Burr-Brown analog-to-digital converters and Wolfson digital-to-analog converters (DAC) for higher resolution signals. The SC-27 adds a pro-level Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit sampling rate converter for a wider dynamic range and jitter reduction.

The Elite VSX-21TXH and VSX-23TXH models use Direct Energy Class A/B amps with hand-picked DSPs. They both offer 1080p video scaling (including de-interlacing); the VSX-23TXH has front-panel mounted HDMI and USB inputs.

The four new models sport a visual interface that simplifies the initial setup and control. Digital music is helped by Advanced Sound Retriever and Auto Level Control, both of which help maintain detail and constant volume. Other noteworthy features common to the new Elite receivers include Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration (MCACC) room tuning that tunes the sound for a given room to cut down on low-end distortion and minimize lag between each of the different sound channels. Sirius satellite radio and Rhapsody Internet music services are accessible directly through the receivers. This network capability also allows users to hook up the receivers to their networked PCs and stream multimedia content.

They also feature multi-room, multi-source capability, with audio support for at least two zones. The VSX-23TXH offers a third zone, while the SC-27 has a second-zone component video output for sending out more than one HD video signal. All but the VSX-21TXH also have dual HDMI outputs.

The Pioneer Elite SC-25 and SC-27 will be available in August, with prices set at $1,700 and $2,000, respectively, while the Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH and VSX-21TXH are due to ship later in July, priced at $900 and $700.

Pioneer Elite SC-27

#17 ·
Images of the rear panels for the new receivers (for the connectivity junkies out there like myself). These were taken from the instruction manuals, tweaked, then exported to PNG and SVGZ (available upon request for people who even know what it is, heh). Clicking an image takes you to a larger one. Make sure your browser doesn't leave it scaled to

SC-27 (same as SC-25 except for fewer digital connections; manual used the same image with differences noted in the text).

VSX-23TXH

VSX-21TXH

Images are not perfectly scaled, so don't take any minor size differences as an indicator of real size; images are only intended to provide a quick glance at connectivity!

#20 ·
Specifications on all the Elite models and comparisons can be made between models can be made on Pioneer's website now. Pio website has links to product brochures but the links are not working yet.

SC-25 and SC-27 both use the same Woflson WM8740 DAC as last year's SC-05 and SC-07.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung /forum/post/16756976

Specifications on all the Elite models and comparisons can be made between models can be made on Pioneer's website now. Pio website has links to product brochures but the links are not working yet.
SC-25 and SC-27 both use the same Woflson WM8740 DAC as last year's SC-05 and SC-07.

Where do it state this?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung /forum/post/16756976

well im still finding a good Elite models right now.

#25 ·
Assuming the street prices on these shave off 20+%, their new SC-27 sounds like a good value to me. Still wondering where the support for height surround is, but I don't think I could ever take that seriously. :p

#26 ·
It would be interesting to read how Pioneer arrived at the decision not to include DPLIIz

Was it due to timing, money for engineering & software for the new chips combined with their financial situation?

OR

Was it more due to them not including it because marketing didn't perceive it as important to most users & not a big difference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.