Receiver for Orb Audio System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear all,

I'm saving up for a system based on the Orb Audio Speaker System.

My plan is setup in 3 phases (with a possible distant phase 4) due to budget and well, marriage....

Plan is as so:
  • Phase 1 (Aug 09)

[*]-2.1 System
----2 Single (Mod1) Orbs + Super 8" Subwoofer
-------

Receiver???
  • phase 2 (Oct 09)

[*]-3.1 System
----Add 1 double (Mod2) Orb as center Speaker

• phase 3 (Nov/Dec 09)

[*]-5.1 System
----Add 2 Single (Mod1) Orbs as Surround Speakers

• phase 4 (distant - Late 2010)
[*]-7.1 System
----Add 2 Single (Mod1) Orbs as 7.1 Surround Speakers

I will need a Receiver for this, and this is where I need your recommendations.

My budget for the receiver is ~$300-350.

I plan on having the following on HDMI ports:
  • Panasonic Bd35k Blu-Ray on HDMI
  • Motorola DVR HDMI
  • PC DVI-HDMI

My Main use for this will be watching Blu-Ray on it, followed by occasional HD cable, and once in a while some PC/gaming use, I don't plan on getting any gaming consoles.

Looks are a plus, but never at the expense on functionality, but I will admit I am slightly biased when it comes to this.

I had thought of going with the Pioneer Line, but am undecided on whether to get the:
  • VSX-1019 which goes beyond my budget and hence would delay the whole project a month or so,
  • or get the VSX-919, which is within budget, and I'm still unsure whether I would need the extras on the 1019.
  • or simply go for a 5.1 setup using the VSX-819 and save some dollars, specially because the 7.1 setup inst happening anytime soon.

Other suggestions always are welcome.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I would look at the Onkyo TX-SR507. It has Audyssey Dynamic Volume which controls the volume level so you don't get loud commercials, for example. Downside it is only 5.1. How large is your room and do you really need 7.1?

The Pioneer 919 would be fine for your needs. Although it doesn't have Audyssey, it does have a USB input on the front of the unit for an Ipod. Basically you can control the Ipod from your TV screen. This is a cool feature if you need it.

I would just make sure you get Dolby True HD and DTSHD Master Audio, the newest codecs only found on Blu-Ray. Both the Onkyo and the Pioneer come with these.

I would look at going with the mod 2s across the front. Not much more but would sound much better (twice the speaker). You could always go to these in a later stage and go with the mod 1s first and put them on surround duty later.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #3 of 4 Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

I would look at going with the mod 2s across the front. Not much more but would sound much better (twice the speaker). You could always go to these in a later stage and go with the mod 1s first and put them on surround duty later.

Agreed that's not a bad idea, I'd start out with Mod1s then upgrade to Mod2s in front with he $$$ I save on the receiver, and send the previous front ones to the back.

I don't really need 7.1 but usually like futureproofing, but then again our living room is only about 15x18'. I'm lookign more for detail than volume,a s we live in an apt complex.

I do like that Audissey feature, although the USB port is something I wouldn't use, I know its something my wife would find useful (and hence help me convince her)...

The VSX-819 is only $269 shipped and has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, is there a big difference in terms of quality/features VS. THE Onkyo SR507?
post #4 of 4 Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Any word on the VSX-819 for these?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page