Denon AVR-3808ci vs Yamaha RX-v3900 vs Onkyo TX-NR906 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 06-09-2009, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been (fairly casually) shopping for receivers now for some time. I have a 7-8 year old mid-level Onkyo now that has served me well, but it's time to upgrade for some of the new features like room correction, HDMI switching, and the Hi-Def codecs. I'd say my standards are medium-high. Speakers are currently Boston Acoustics bookshelf, but will be upgraded to floorstanding someday (sooner or later). I don't yet know what those will be, so I want to get a receiver that doesn't limit me when I go speaker shopping. The 3808ci appears like it's currently sitting in a sweet spot on features, sound quality, and price. But now, 6ave's name your own price deal has thrown a wrench into that. The Yamaha V3900 and the Onkyo NR906 initially appeared to be at a price point so far above the 3808 that they couldn't possibly justify the difference. However, 6ave has accepted offers that are around $200 more than the 3808 for both the V3900 and NR906. Now things get interesting

Yamaha seems to have a lot of fans, including salesmen at both BB Magnolia and Ultimate Electronics that tell me they think Yamaha is more "musical" than Denon, for whatever that's worth. I listened to both, and while their sound characteristics are subtlety different, I don't know if I'd say one's better than the other. I am fairly discriminating, but certainly not at the level of some people here. I probably do about equal amounts of music and HT, though I'm probably more passionate about music sounding good than I am about HT. The V3900 also adds some extra power, the presence speakers (don't know whether that really is worth doing), and non-critical but nice features like HD Radio built in.

My big problem with Yamaha is that it doesn't have the Audyssey suite. I'm not so much worried about whether YPAO is as good as MultiEQ XT. I'd expect either to do OK for me. However, I like what I hear about Audyssey's Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. I live in an apartment with thin walls, and while I'll buy a house eventually, I'd hope that within the life of this receiver, a wife and kids come into the picture, which could present some volume limitations as well. From what I've read, the closest that Yamaha has to these is what they call "Adaptive DSP" and "Adaptive DRC", and neither of those are anywhere near as advanced as Audyssey. The Yamaha does have some things that sound like nice steps up above the 3808, and it might indeed be more "musical." But I need convincing that it's worth giving up the Audyssey features (and an extra $200).

The Onkyo NR906 is kind of a wildcard. Of course the it has the same Audyssey suite as the 3808, so no worries there. It looks like it has a better power section than the V3900, which in turn may be better than the 3808. But it sounds like the GUI is low resolution and doesn't overlay on HDMI. I also don't see reference to the ability to control it over the network with a web browser, as you can with the Denon and Yamaha. Silly as it may sound, I like those features. I'd give them up if the Onkyo is really better in some key respect. The other problem with Onkyo is that I don't know of anywhere that carries them around me anymore, so I'd be ordering without hearing it first.

I'd certainly appreciate any advice anyone has. The 3808 still seems like the front runner, though if I could get over the loss of Audyssey I could see the Yamaha V3900 perhaps taking the lead. I'd also be interested to hear any thoughts on usability. I know some people don't think the Denon GUI is intuitive, but it didn't look too bad to me from what little I've seen of it. I'm not sure if the Yamaha (or Onkyo, despite its lower resolution and lack of overlay) is significantly better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
For a little more you can get the new Denon 4310 from the AVS Store. Look at it and its features and see if it fits your needs also.
post #3 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
The 4310 looks nice. I have not taken the time to directly compare it to the 3900, but it seems to cover many of the same bases.

I own the 3900 and like it a lot. It seems very reliable so far. If there's one strike against it, it's that it seems to force a few cables boxes, and my Tivo to reset their resolution to 480i or 1080i. A poster from Russia claims Yamaha does not correctly handle EDID. But all my other devices work ok.

Some of the features between the two are hard to evaluate such as networking.

Power-wise some comparably priced Denons have outperformed Yamaha.

One thing about Yamaha though, in general, it's been trouble free, especially compared to some receivers I read about in this forum. The 3900 thread is pretty quiet, which either means few people have bought them, or few people have problems with them

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

For a little more you can get the new Denon 4310 from the AVS Store. Look at it and its features and see if it fits your needs also.

The 4310 certainly adds some nice things, but I'm not sure what "a little more" turns out to be from the AVS Store. Am I missing something, or do you need to call them to get pricing? I don't see anything online. From 6ave's name your own price offer, the gap between the 3808 and the 4310 is $500, or $400 if I end up having to pay for the feature upgrade on the 3808. Here's what I see on the 3808/4310 comparison:

- The new video processor is promising, but I can't say I've been disappointed by how my TV and devices handle things now. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing though. I don't think we've seen reviews yet on the implementation of the ABT chip in the 4310 yet either. I certainly wouldn't mind having a nice video processor though.
- Two extra HDMI inputs is certainly nice to have. I'm at 3 HDMI devices now, so 4 would give me some expansion, but 5 rear/1 front is appealing. That said though, I have a Harmony remote, which should eliminate most of the hassle involved in dealing with an HDMI switcher. So I'm not sure what value to assign to this.
- I won't say I wouldn't ever use it, but I can't see myself needing a second HDMI output at this point (or any multi zone features). Maybe when I buy a house in the future, but I'm still not convinced I'd go with multi zone.
- I'm not sure how useful the new Dolby PLIIz or Audyssey DSX features will prove to be.
- Other things like HD Radio and direct iPod connections are nice to have, but not vital. There may also be some other improvements not yet known, such as GUI refinements, etc. Of course there could also be new bugs. The 3808ci is at least a known quantity. Still, I like knowing I have the latest and greatest, and that the 4310ci is probably where Denon's attention will shift for fixes and feature upgrades.

Do you think all of that adds up to a $500 difference? Anything big I missed?

I guess the 3310ci could be a contender too when it comes out, depending on what street price turns out to be. If 6ave runs name your own price or a similar promotion in the future (such as the 25% off coupon they sometimes offer on certain products), it might not be much more than the 3808ci. It has less power than the 3808ci and 4310ci, but seems to have many of the key features I care about the most. But that would require patience. I can be patient, but I don't like to be.
post #5 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

The 4310 looks nice. I have not taken the time to directly compare it to the 3900, but it seems to cover many of the same bases.

I own the 3900 and like it a lot. It seems very reliable so far. If there's one strike against it, it's that it seems to force a few cables boxes, and my Tivo to reset their resolution to 480i or 1080i. A poster from Russia claims Yamaha does not correctly handle EDID. But all my other devices work ok.

Some of the features between the two are hard to evaluate such as networking.

Power-wise some comparably priced Denons have outperformed Yamaha.

One thing about Yamaha though, in general, it's been trouble free, especially compared to some receivers I read about in this forum. The 3900 thread is pretty quiet, which either means few people have bought them, or few people have problems with them

Hmm, I have a Tivo HD, and it's certainly one of my most used components. I'll have to read up on this. How much does it bother you?

I don't know if you have experience with Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Volume and could give me any direct comparisons. But regardless, have you tried the Adaptive DSP/DRC features for low volume listening as well as balancing out differences between HDTV programming and commercials? Do they seem to work well?
post #6 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I would call and talk to Craig Peers at the AVS Store for the price. Its a very good price. As to if its worth it to you, only you can decide what features you need or will use now or in the very near future. I would also ask them about the questions you have presented here and get their opinion. They have no reason to lie to you and could problably give you all the info you need. This 4310 is the first Denon AVR that I've considered buying after reading what I've seen so far. It's kinda like a step gap between the 3900 and the Z7. Maybe a 906 without the heat issues that seem to bother some people. There is a thread that has been started on the 4310 with a few that already own one commenting on it. It does look very interesting. It's one I'd definitely consider although I've stated many times in the past my dislike for Denon source products and I've never owned a Denon AVR. This one does seem to deserve serious thought.
post #7 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

And add to that the new 4310 has the new interesting Audyssey DSX features.
Four front speakers!!!
post #8 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 AM

I'm in the same boat as bkrodgers, i've currently got a sony 910, which i love, but i feel like the sound quality is just not there. i have to crank the volume tojust to get it loud, and i begin to here all sorts of hissing at these levels, and with a digital signal i would hope that there wouldnt be as much as im hearing. not too mention i'm not sold on the sound.....and you'd figure you would have some better control over the sound rather than just treble and bass +/-....kinda lame.....and while its rated at 110x7, i wouldnt be surprised if it was no where near that in surround sound mode....

I have a pioneer kuro 5020, so i'm hoping that its video processing is better than the denon's, but then again i dont really have any sources that aren't already high def (360 elite, ps3, SA8300HD <--cable box, sometimes i have the wii in my room) and i refuse to watch dvd's anymore (ha, i'm spoiled)

I'm currently running with Polk RM301's for L/C/R, RM201's for SR, and eventually hooking up the RM101's for the complete 7.1. The sub i have sucks but the room it's in is only 9x9....so it does the job.

I want a receiver that will bring my speakers to life, while i love the sony, i feel like i'm missing something, depth, and i'm hoping that the denon will do this....i've been doing some reading and i'm hearing that the denon sounds 'flat' which is exactly what i dont want to have happen....i'd say i'm primarily a HT listener, some music, but mostly HT. so i guess i'm torn between onkyo and denon, i feel like i have a grudge on HK, but i've only ever heard good things.

Price would be a concern....the 3808 can be had for under 1k, and thats right around the MAX i'm looking to spend. So for the price, can it really be beat?

Not to mention the GUI would be pretty sweet, i'm constantly tweaking....or do i look into the sony 3400es?
post #9 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 10:12 AM

How about the 3808 vs. the 2809? I was about to get the 2809, but the 3808 is cheaper on amazon right now, which is where I plan on buying it from. I have credits with Amazon, so I'm limited to them. Any opinions?
post #10 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrumole View Post

I'm in the same boat as bkrodgers, i've currently got a sony 910, which i love, but i feel like the sound quality is just not there. i have to crank the volume tojust to get it loud, and i begin to here all sorts of hissing at these levels, and with a digital signal i would hope that there wouldnt be as much as im hearing. not too mention i'm not sold on the sound.....and you'd figure you would have some better control over the sound rather than just treble and bass +/-....kinda lame.....and while its rated at 110x7, i wouldnt be surprised if it was no where near that in surround sound mode....

I have a pioneer kuro 5020, so i'm hoping that its video processing is better than the denon's, but then again i dont really have any sources that aren't already high def (360 elite, ps3, SA8300HD <--cable box, sometimes i have the wii in my room) and i refuse to watch dvd's anymore (ha, i'm spoiled)

I'm currently running with Polk RM301's for L/C/R, RM201's for SR, and eventually hooking up the RM101's for the complete 7.1. The sub i have sucks but the room it's in is only 9x9....so it does the job.

I want a receiver that will bring my speakers to life, while i love the sony, i feel like i'm missing something, depth, and i'm hoping that the denon will do this....i've been doing some reading and i'm hearing that the denon sounds 'flat' which is exactly what i dont want to have happen....i'd say i'm primarily a HT listener, some music, but mostly HT. so i guess i'm torn between onkyo and denon, i feel like i have a grudge on HK, but i've only ever heard good things.

Price would be a concern....the 3808 can be had for under 1k, and thats right around the MAX i'm looking to spend. So for the price, can it really be beat?

Not to mention the GUI would be pretty sweet, i'm constantly tweaking....or do i look into the sony 3400es?

I don't want to across as a Sony hater. Sony should stick to making displays and source components and leave the AVR market to others. Es used to be a solid product, but they too have fallen lately. If you feel the Denon may not be what you want look into the Marantz 5003/6003. The Denon 3808 is a very good bargain and seems to be solid as well or they wouldn't have the biggest following here. You may also want to look at Pioneers SC05/SC07 Elites. Also very popular and with a huge following. Either can be had for your price range. You have plenty of choices other than Sony. And it is true they don't come close to their specs. There are reviews on the Sony's that give what their true power output is and its pathetic.
post #11 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post

How about the 3808 vs. the 2809? I was about to get the 2809, but the 3808 is cheaper on amazon right now, which is where I plan on buying it from. I have credits with Amazon, so I'm limited to them. Any opinions?

i dont really know how you would need to dbl think this one, you'd have to get the 3808 i feel its a no brainer....more power, better THD, GUI, assignable inputs....
post #12 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Better THD? Isn't that the active ingredient in pot?

post #13 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Hey! Great thread, I'm in the same boat also. I'm between the 4310 and the 3808. HD radio is nice cause you get extra channels, but I don't listen to that much radio at home. The 2 extra HDMI ports are nice, but I don't know what I'd use them for.

$980 is the latest pricing for the 3808 that I could find online, shipped, no tax. Anyone do better? $2k for the 4310... Not really close there.

Anyhow.. Just looking for reviews of the 3808. Keep posting!
post #14 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=

Anyhow.. Just looking for reviews of the 3808. Keep posting![/QUOTE]

Here's one from a magazine

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/708denon3808/
post #15 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I bought the 3808, and outside of the horrendous manual and somewhat clunky (but cool-looking) GUI, it is nearly unparalleled at $1000.

Perhaps it's only real shortcoming is it's less than top-tier video section, but I have a Kuro, and 90% of my serious media is 1080P or 720 over HDMI, so who gives a *hit anyway?

I recommend it without hesitation.

Truthfully, outside of the need for future, additional HDMI connectivity, I could see myself with it till it blows up.

Sh*t, that's prolly a long time.

Scratch that...5 years because, well, you know, I REALLY like this stuff!!!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #16 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemcoska View Post

Hey! Great thread, I'm in the same boat also. I'm between the 4310 and the 3808. HD radio is nice cause you get extra channels, but I don't listen to that much radio at home. The 2 extra HDMI ports are nice, but I don't know what I'd use them for.

$980 is the latest pricing for the 3808 that I could find online, shipped, no tax. Anyone do better? $2k for the 4310... Not really close there.

Anyhow.. Just looking for reviews of the 3808. Keep posting!

Much lower price than that for the 4310. ~$500 more than the lowest price for the 3808.
post #17 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post

The 4310 certainly adds some nice things, but I'm not sure what "a little more" turns out to be from the AVS Store. Am I missing something, or do you need to call them to get pricing? I don't see anything online. From 6ave's name your own price offer, the gap between the 3808 and the 4310 is $500, or $400 if I end up having to pay for the feature upgrade on the 3808. Here's what I see on the 3808/4310 comparison:

- The new video processor is promising, but I can't say I've been disappointed by how my TV and devices handle things now. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing though. I don't think we've seen reviews yet on the implementation of the ABT chip in the 4310 yet either. I certainly wouldn't mind having a nice video processor though.
- Two extra HDMI inputs is certainly nice to have. I'm at 3 HDMI devices now, so 4 would give me some expansion, but 5 rear/1 front is appealing. That said though, I have a Harmony remote, which should eliminate most of the hassle involved in dealing with an HDMI switcher. So I'm not sure what value to assign to this.
- I won't say I wouldn't ever use it, but I can't see myself needing a second HDMI output at this point (or any multi zone features). Maybe when I buy a house in the future, but I'm still not convinced I'd go with multi zone.
- I'm not sure how useful the new Dolby PLIIz or Audyssey DSX features will prove to be.
- Other things like HD Radio and direct iPod connections are nice to have, but not vital. There may also be some other improvements not yet known, such as GUI refinements, etc. Of course there could also be new bugs. The 3808ci is at least a known quantity. Still, I like knowing I have the latest and greatest, and that the 4310ci is probably where Denon's attention will shift for fixes and feature upgrades.

Do you think all of that adds up to a $500 difference? Anything big I missed?

I guess the 3310ci could be a contender too when it comes out, depending on what street price turns out to be. If 6ave runs name your own price or a similar promotion in the future (such as the 25% off coupon they sometimes offer on certain products), it might not be much more than the 3808ci. It has less power than the 3808ci and 4310ci, but seems to have many of the key features I care about the most. But that would require patience. I can be patient, but I don't like to be. [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]

Thanks for the comparison, Im looking for this as well
post #18 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not an "official" thread yet, but there are a few users out there.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1153097
post #19 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Much lower price than that for the 4310. ~$500 more than the lowest price for the 3808.

The million dollar question though, is whether the 4310 really offers $500 more value over the 3808ci, or put another way, an additional 50% premium. Clearly the 4310 is a better unit than the 3808, but I'm having a hard time determining if the value of the additional features is justified. I realize that's partly a personal decision, but I'm having a heck of a time making it myself, and so any thoughts from someone else on what they would do can be helpful!
post #20 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The million dollar question though, is whether the 4310 really offers $500 more value over the 3808ci, or put another way, an additional 50% premium. Clearly the 4310 is a better unit than the 3808, but I'm having a hard time determining if the value of the additional features is justified. I realize that's partly a personal decision, but I'm having a heck of a time making it myself, and so any thoughts from someone else on what they would do can be helpful!

This may be a question you need to ask in the thread I listed for you. May be one of those new owners had a 3808. People around here upgrade so much its sometimes unbelievable. Wish I had that kind of money. I need to go to work for penngray.
post #21 of 37 Old 06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
This article is a review of the 906 and the reviewer has a 3808. Good read.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #22 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 AM

I own an Onkyo 906, but have just ordered the Denon 4310. I will explain why shortly. However, I will first give my impression of the 906.

The 906 video processing initially seems very impressive what with the ISF modes and the ability to adjust color, hue, contrast, brightness, noise reduction, up conversion, edge enhancement, gamma, and R, G, and B gain and bias for each input and each output. For folks with older source devices that need up conversion and other video processing, these can be very useful. However, Onkyo messed up one key element. None of the video processing works on 24p signals. Thus, you cannot effectively use all the cool video calibration controls to refine the calibration of your display device if you plan to display 24p material. Given that most BD movies are recorded in 24p and most displays now accept this signal, Onkyo's failure to process 24p seems inexplicable and significantly limits the utility of an otherwise fine video processor.

The 906 audio is very impressive for movies. The unit has huge amounts of power and can really drive even difficult speakers. Both the 906 and 876 weigh in excess of 50 lbs. (something to think about as many audio racks have shelf weight limits at or below 50 lbs.) This weight comes from massive power transformers. Along with this weight and power comes very warm to quite hot operation. If you read through the threads, you will see that there is a significant amount of discussion of necessary ventilation and which aftermarket cooling solutions are most effective.

As some of the reviews also point out, the 876 and 906 are a bit difficult when it comes to choosing DSP / sound modes. You cannot directly choose which Audyssey curve gets used, the units just use the cinema curve which rolls off the high end a bit. There is a round about sequence of buttons you can press to turn on a THX mode and then turn it off again. Some folks claim this will switch these units to the Audyssey flat curve, but there is no status indicator or other method to verify which curve is in use. In addition, the 876 thread contains data indicating that the there are several DSP modes in which you can actually get double high end roll off, again with no way to determine this effect short of a carefully used SPL meter or a spectrum analyzer. For movies, this is not terrible, but for music this can be a real pain as you cannot get accurate reproduction unless you sacrifice the benefit of the Audyssey calibration.

Support is another area where Onkyo is problematic. Onkyo has made a practice of not only refusing to distribute firmware upgrades, but even to deny they exist and on occasion to suggest that user upgrading could void your warranty. In some cases, authorized repair centers have been able to get the updates, but as noted below, this can be a very inconvenient process as well. In addition, at least in my area (Northern CA), there are no authorized Onkyo repair centers. Your only repair option is to send your (very, very heavy) receiver to a repair center in Denver at your own expense even during the warranty period.

I have recently had a truly terrible support experience with Onkyo on my 906. I won't go into detail here as the experience has not yet concluded (I'll give a full write up once things have finally been resolved). However, I will say that this alone has convinced me to switch brands and never look back.

I am hoping that the Denon 4310 will perform well and help me get over the 906. In retrospect, I very much regret purchasing the 906, both because of the idiosyncracies mentioned and because Onkyo's behavior has made clear to me that it does not care one bit about its customers.

Ira
post #23 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Better THD? Isn't that the active ingredient in pot?

THC....but pretty much yes.... THD is total harmonic distortion
post #24 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 AM

I just ordered the 3808 - the THC is what sold it, ha.....I'm hyped as hell to be getting this!
post #25 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblumberg View Post

I own an Onkyo 906, but have just ordered the Denon 4310. I will explain why shortly. However, I will first give my impression of the 906.

I am hoping that the Denon 4310 will perform well and help me get over the 906. In retrospect, I very much regret purchasing the 906, both because of the idiosyncracies mentioned and because Onkyo's behavior has made clear to me that it does not care one bit about its customers.

Ira

Plus add that the 4310 gives you 6 HDMIs, Audyssey DSX and Dynamic Volume (unless I am wrong the 906 does not have DV). My only worry is the 35lb weight giving me the impression of limited power reserves. Should not be no big deal with efficient speakers and a robust sub however. Initial impressions seem to be positive amongst first group of owners.
Let us know how it goes with your new 4310!!
post #26 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphrex View Post

Plus add that the 4310 gives you 6 HDMIs, Audyssey DSX and Dynamic Volume (unless I am wrong the 906 does not have DV). My only worry is the 35lb weight giving me the impression of limited power reserves. Should not be no big deal with efficient speakers and a robust sub however. Initial impressions seem to be positive amongst first group of owners.
Let us know how it goes with your new 4310!!

I will report on the 4310 as soon as I receive it and put it to work.

To be fair, the Onkyo 876/906 do have the full suite of Audyssey effects including Dynamic Volume, but not DSX. For my late night viewing, the Dynamic Volume feature did work well.

Ira
post #27 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 AM

This is a good discussion and I am in the same position as the OP. I nearly bit on the RX-V3900 which is widely available for fairly discounted prices, even locally, but it runs hot, lacks the Audyssey technology, and admittedly will be replaced in 3-4 months. It looks great, though, and has the video processing I want. The 3808Ci is even older and lacks some of the modern tech, but it seems like a terrific piece of hardware for under $1k. The Onkyo I'm not so sure about now as a result of what I've seen and heard regarding support. The 4310 seems like the perfect receiver just not at the perfect price. If I could get one for maybe $1300, this would be a done deal.

Looking forward to reading more thoughts. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one unsure of the path to take.
post #28 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I would call and talk to Craig Peers at the AVS Store for the price. Its a very good price. As to if its worth it to you, only you can decide what features you need or will use now or in the very near future. I would also ask them about the questions you have presented here and get their opinion. They have no reason to lie to you and could problably give you all the info you need. This 4310 is the first Denon AVR that I've considered buying after reading what I've seen so far. It's kinda like a step gap between the 3900 and the Z7. Maybe a 906 without the heat issues that seem to bother some people. There is a thread that has been started on the 4310 with a few that already own one commenting on it. It does look very interesting. It's one I'd definitely consider although I've stated many times in the past my dislike for Denon source products and I've never owned a Denon AVR. This one does seem to deserve serious thought.

I spoke with someone at avsscience and was told the unit is still only in pre-order for shipping sometime perhaps in July, and the price likely won't be more than maybe 15% of msrp. This makes the 4310 a whole lot more than $500 more expensive than the 3808 and on top of that, not available through AVS for a couple of months yet.

Confused...
post #29 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx99 View Post

I spoke with someone at avsscience and was told the unit is still only in pre-order for shipping sometime perhaps in July, and the price likely won't be more than maybe 15% of msrp. This makes the 4310 a whole lot more than $500 more expensive than the 3808… and on top of that, not available through AVS for a couple of months yet.

Confused...

I'm confused also. On the 4310 thread it was just announced they now have the 4810 that they just received. Check out last post on that thread. Maybe give Craig an email about the price for the 4310.

Quote:
Where's info on the 4810?
Has it even been announced yet?

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4844.asp

We have them in stock.
craig@avscience.com
post #30 of 37 Old 06-11-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You have discarded the 3900 as a possibility, then?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page