Originally Posted by phantom52
For a little more you can get the new Denon 4310 from the AVS Store. Look at it and its features and see if it fits your needs also.
The 4310 certainly adds some nice things, but I'm not sure what "a little more" turns out to be from the AVS Store. Am I missing something, or do you need to call them to get pricing? I don't see anything online. From 6ave's name your own price offer, the gap between the 3808 and the 4310 is $500, or $400 if I end up having to pay for the feature upgrade on the 3808. Here's what I see on the 3808/4310 comparison:
- The new video processor is promising, but I can't say I've been disappointed by how my TV and devices handle things now. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing though. I don't think we've seen reviews yet on the implementation of the ABT chip in the 4310 yet either. I certainly wouldn't mind having a nice video processor though.
- Two extra HDMI inputs is certainly nice to have. I'm at 3 HDMI devices now, so 4 would give me some expansion, but 5 rear/1 front is appealing. That said though, I have a Harmony remote, which should eliminate most of the hassle involved in dealing with an HDMI switcher. So I'm not sure what value to assign to this.
- I won't say I wouldn't ever use it, but I can't see myself needing a second HDMI output at this point (or any multi zone features). Maybe when I buy a house in the future, but I'm still not convinced I'd go with multi zone.
- I'm not sure how useful the new Dolby PLIIz or Audyssey DSX features will prove to be.
- Other things like HD Radio and direct iPod connections are nice to have, but not vital. There may also be some other improvements not yet known, such as GUI refinements, etc. Of course there could also be new bugs. The 3808ci is at least a known quantity. Still, I like knowing I have the latest and greatest, and that the 4310ci is probably where Denon's attention will shift for fixes and feature upgrades.
Do you think all of that adds up to a $500 difference? Anything big I missed?
I guess the 3310ci could be a contender too when it comes out, depending on what street price turns out to be. If 6ave runs name your own price or a similar promotion in the future (such as the 25% off coupon they sometimes offer on certain products), it might not be much more than the 3808ci. It has less power than the 3808ci and 4310ci, but seems to have many of the key features I care about the most. But that would require patience. I can be patient, but I don't like to be.