New to home audio, Need help with receiver choice! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-12-2009, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have about $600-$700 to spend on a new receiver and was hoping to get some opinions on which one was the best one for that kind of money. I will need one that can decode HD audio.

The speakers I have to connect are Klipsch Icon towers and center and a Klipsch 500-xd sub.

I was looking at the new Yamaha 765, but I'm not very home audio savvy and wanted to hear some other quality choices.

Any help will be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-12-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by water63 View Post

I have about $600-$700 to spend on a new receiver and was hoping to get some opinions on which one was the best one for that kind of money. I will need one that can decode HD audio.

The speakers I have to connect are Klipsch Icon towers and center and a Klipsch 500-xd sub.

I was looking at the new Yamaha 765, but I'm not very home audio savvy and wanted to hear some other quality choices.

Any help will be appreciated!

That price range or very close to it can get you some exceptional AVR's. Choices can include Marantz 6003/5003 on sale at many places. Also give a look at the Pioneer Elite SC05 that can be had for the top of your range. Onkyo has several AVr's that also will fit in your budget, as does other models from Yamaha other than the 765. The 765 does look like a good choice, but I'd wait on some professional testing for the new X65 series receivers to determine if they do indeed meet their specs or at least come close with their power specs with all channels driven. Denon also is a very good choice with some of their models that selling at very good prices. You will need to call the online sites to get their true pricing for most of the receivers I mentioned. DON'T GO BY WHAT's ON THEIR SITE as for pricing.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-12-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

That price range or very close to it can get you some exceptional AVR's. Choices can include Marantz 6003/5003 on sale at many places. Also give a look at the Pioneer Elite SC05 that can be had for the top of your range. Onkyo has several AVr's that also will fit in your budget, as does other models from Yamaha other than the 765. The 765 does look like a good choice, but I'd wait on some professional testing for the new X65 series receivers to determine if they do indeed meet their specs or at least come close with their power specs with all channels driven. Denon also is a very good choice with some of their models that selling at very good prices. You will need to call the online sites to get their true pricing for most of the receivers I mentioned. DON'T GO BY WHAT's ON THEIR SITE as for pricing.

Thanks for the input!

So out of the ones you mentioned do you think the Pioneer is the best? I would be willing to pay a little extra for a better receiver.

Also, Which websites are the most reputable ones to look for reviews and which websites do you trust to buy this type of equipment from?
post #4 of 22 Old 06-12-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

post #5 of 22 Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 PM

I just got an SC-05 from the 6ave name your price deal, and it falls within your range. We set it up last night and so far LOVE it.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help all!

I may actually stick with my Yamaha 463 since I found out that my PS3 decodes HD audio. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #7 of 22 Old 06-15-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Thanks for the help all!

I may actually stick with my Yamaha 463 since I found out that my PS3 decodes HD audio. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Does your 463 do audio over HDMI? Its the only way you will get HD audio signal into the receiver. Optical and coax do not carry HD audio - at least yet - and may never.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #8 of 22 Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Does your 463 do audio over HDMI? Its the only way you will get HD audio signal into the receiver. Optical and coax do not carry HD audio - at least yet - and may never.

Yeah I have my PS3, satellite box, and TV all plugged in via HDMI. It sounds great now (I'm not really an audiophile) but I didn't know if I could make it better.

Since the PS3 decodes the HD audio itself, does it make sense to buy a new receiver that decodes HD audio?

Will it sound better if I let a receiver decode the HD audio instead of the PS3?

Thanks again!
post #9 of 22 Old 06-15-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat View Post

I just got an SC-05 from the 6ave name your price deal, and it falls within your range. We set it up last night and so far LOVE it.

Wow that is an excellent price for an SC-05!

I was going to suggest try looking at the Marantz AV-6003 as well or a Denon 2809.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Yeah I have my PS3, satellite box, and TV all plugged in via HDMI. It sounds great now (I'm not really an audiophile) but I didn't know if I could make it better.

Since the PS3 decodes the HD audio itself, does it make sense to buy a new receiver that decodes HD audio?

Will it sound better if I let a receiver decode the HD audio instead of the PS3?

Thanks again!

No and no.

Keep in mind that when shopping for a receiver, buy it for the features you need. They will all sound pretty much the same once you get it home and hooked to your speakers.

With that in mind it sounds like you have what you need - HD audio over HDMI.

The only "night and day" changes will be mostly in your head unless you are going from a HTIB to a new setup. Speakers will make the biggest impact on what you hear.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #11 of 22 Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

No and no.

Keep in mind that when shopping for a receiver, buy it for the features you need. They will all sound pretty much the same once you get it home and hooked to your speakers.

With that in mind it sounds like you have what you need - HD audio over HDMI.

The only "night and day" changes will be mostly in your head unless you are going from a HTIB to a new setup. Speakers will make the biggest impact on what you hear.

Thanks for the clarification!

Glad that I can now spend that money on more speakers!

Once again thanks for all the help!
post #12 of 22 Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification!

Glad that I can now spend that money on more speakers!

Once again thanks for all the help!

Even if you did buy a receiver which could decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA, you wouldn't be able to have your receiver decode any HD audio tracks. Unfortunately, the PS3 is unable to bitstream these formats to your receiver.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Well, one thing a new unit would get you is pre-outs (and more beef in the amp without a separate).

The 463 is pretty weak in the amp section. Now the Klipsch is quite sensitive so it shouldn't matter, but any new speakers might not be so forgiving power-wise.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post

Well, one thing a new unit would get you is pre-outs (and more beef in the amp without a separate).

The 463 is pretty weak in the amp section. Now the Klipsch is quite sensitive so it shouldn't matter, but any new speakers might not be so forgiving power-wise.

Not suggesting that he shouldn't buy a new amp but rather that having those decoding capabilities with a BDP that can already do so is rather useless. That being said, most receivers above $500 already have the ability decode the new HD Audio formats anyways but it isn't something I'd actively search for in a new receiver (much better to have a beefier amp I think)
post #15 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideogeek View Post

Even if you did buy a receiver which could decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA, you wouldn't be able to have your receiver decode any HD audio tracks. Unfortunately, the PS3 is unable to bitstream these formats to your receiver.

Does bitstreaming make a world of difference in the quality of audio?

I'm prolly not gonna go out and spend money on a new Blu Ray player, but I was just curious anyway.

In the future I will purchase a better receiver with a better amp mainly for the zone 2 capabilities, but right now I don't even have a setup for a second zone.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If the SC-05 can be had for that price, I'd go for it. Otherwise, Marantz would be my choice since they still have great build quality and now Audyssey features.
post #17 of 22 Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Does bitstreaming make a world of difference in the quality of audio?

I'm prolly not gonna go out and spend money on a new Blu Ray player, but I was just curious anyway.

In the future I will purchase a better receiver with a better amp mainly for the zone 2 capabilities, but right now I don't even have a setup for a second zone.

Well some argue that a high end receiver does a better job of decoding the soundtrack but I cannot honestly say that I hear a difference between the two. Ofcourse in my case, my BDP-05FD cannot decode DTS HD MA so I have it bitstream to the receiver.
post #18 of 22 Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideogeek View Post

Well some argue that a high end receiver does a better job of decoding the soundtrack but I cannot honestly say that I hear a difference between the two. Ofcourse in my case, my BDP-05FD cannot decode DTS HD MA so I have it bitstream to the receiver.

Well since mine sounds good to me, I guess I'm just going to leave it the way it is.

Thanks guys!
post #19 of 22 Old 06-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Water63 has no idea what he is talking about. The guy is clueless. He wouldn't know the difference between a cathode ray and a baseball bat! What a dork!
post #20 of 22 Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Man, I love twinkies.

As for the difference between cathode ray tubes and baseball bats, it's hard to get a good hit with a cathode ray tube - they shatter. Everyone knew that, I thought.

As for Water being shoeless, I hope his feet are not getting cold.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #21 of 22 Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingWithMom View Post

Water63 has no idea what he is talking about. The guy is clueless. He wouldn't know the difference between a cathode ray and a baseball bat! What a dork!

I'm sleeping with his mom if that gives you any indication why he's angry.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:

I'm sleeping with his mom if that gives you any indication why he's angry.

I had no idea my mom was a dude. I mean, that's the only way you would sleep with my mom.
I can't wait for Aaron's Rent-to-Own gets the new plasmas!!! They always have the best deals!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page