What AVR will work best in a MAC environment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a mid-range AVR that has ethernet connectivity with the ability to stream from a Xserve. I've got 3 cat6 lines going to the HT room from the server. I see some Receivers that mention Windows Media Players in their description and would hate to make a purchase and find out that this one or that one won't see the server. I'll have an older G4 holding the itunes, and I also have a WD Sharespace to help for space.

I've never had a receiver that has had this capability before, so I'm a little over my head on this one. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I have macbooks, an iPod, an iPod dock, a Yamaha RX-V3900 and I have tried various options.

1) Airport Express. Nice, but two flaws. One, it sometimes stops working (usually because a micrwave oven is one.) Two you "push" the songs by selecting songs from iTunes
2) Twonky Media Server. It would take to long to explain my trials and tribulations with Twonky. It had a lot of promise, but for various reasons might not be what you want
3) iPod. Works really well with the dock, but does not sound like what you want

If the XServe does not a media server program, you may need to look into programs like Twonky.

A good option, if budget allows is Apple TV. It can sync with the data on your XServe. Look into it.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 4 Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I have macbooks, an iPod, an iPod dock, a Yamaha RX-V3900 and I have tried various options.

1) Airport Express. Nice, but two flaws. One, it sometimes stops working (usually because a micrwave oven is one.) Two you "push" the songs by selecting songs from iTunes

Get an iPod Touch. The Remote app makes the iPod Touch a very slick Wi-Fi remote for an iTunes, AirTunes, Airport Express set up.

AJ
post #4 of 4 Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you both for the advice. I agree, an Apple TV would be a great piece to have and I was planning to get one at a later date. And i'll definitely look into the Ipod touch if there's any crumbs left over. My big question is about receivers. I'm in a location that makes it very difficult to audition good, mid-range audio. Is it safe to say that as long as the AVR has an ethernet port and lists that it allows image and audio streaming, that it will see my Mac network?

Also Michael, I see you have the RX-V3900.....how would you rate your experience with it and would you recommend it?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page